HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fehr-Perrault-Clark

Old
11-12-2009, 10:56 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Fehr-Perrault-Clark

A wing trying to establish a career in the nhl. A center trying to earn a chance at an nhl career. A wing trying to reestablish his nhl career.

Clark has 5 pts in his last 6 games and a shootout winner. Fehr has a goal. Perrault has 3pts in 4 games.

Seems to me the "We've got something to prove" line is earning its ice time and success with these players may be one of three steps(reliable defense and goaltending being the other two) in pushing this bunch over the hump.

Clark returning to his 20g + form or Fehr establishing as a 20g player would do it. Both doing it makes the Caps overwhelming. Perrault gives them depth.

Its very interesting to watch this process. To me the 4th line is established. Bradley continues to improve all the way around. Laing's pk play has been great and chipping in the two goals is enough offense to round him out. Steckel....not sure.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:07 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

This line has been great. They cycle, they generate shots on goal and they are very good defensively. In an ideal world, you get them on the ice running around like madmen for 45 seconds before throwing out the SOB.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Roccoman

while i love the infusion of energy that MP has brought to the lineup, i cant say with confidence that i believe it will last throughout the season... still, its satisfying in a handful of ways:
  • late round pick making an impact
  • everyone cheers for the "little guy"
  • dare i say... 3 scoring lines?
  • he looks like D'Artagnon

btw - i have really come to trust the LSB line and they have meshed well enough to make simple yet effective plays in the offensive end... it used to be endless cycling / board work until their shift timer went DING but now they are actually generating things off said cycling / board work.... in short, playing with a dollop of Moxie.

~back to the MP line~
when %100 i just can't see BB sticking with MP there. i dont miss Boyd Gordon in the lineup but i think if Steckel goes down then we look awful thin at center, and thus i think Gordo's return hearkens then end of MP in DC for the nonce... but IF MP keeps that line clicking & himself does not slow down then i can see Boyd as the scratch and / or swapping with Fehr when he gets nicked up.

its good to have options.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:10 AM
artilector

I agree. It's fun to watch to see if they can amount to something.

But I really think that line's recent emergence is all Perreault (and to a lesser extent, even Aucoin). He brings a ton of speed and knows what to do with the puck. And when the other guys start getting chances, their confidence comes back, and they start scoring off weird turnaround backhanders.

Having a 3rd line that can put pressure on opponents and chip in is so huge! It's the straw that breaks a camel's back.

The thing I'm excited about to see -- when Ovechkin comes back, guys will get pushed down, so Perreault will get an even better winger to set up, and there will be even more depth to the offense.

Caps have the luxury of having a very defensively solid 4th line. So they don't need to cast another line in a mainly defensive mold. If Caps need Gordon's F/O skills, put him on wing as a back-up. But I don't want to see either him or Stecks centering the 3rd line again.

If not MP then Aucoin. Better to have a creative center and responsible wings than the other way around..

artilector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
btw - i have really come to trust the LSB line and they have meshed well enough to make simple yet effective plays in the offensive end... it used to be endless cycling / board work until their shift timer went DING but now they are actually generating things off said cycling / board work.... in short, playing with a dollop of Moxie.
That's the thing that always frustrated me, but Fehr-Perrault-Clark actually look dangerous out there. It is a refreshing change of pace.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:12 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The Isles tv guys were guessing that Fehr's shot was actually an attempted pass to Perreault in the slot. I think I agree with them.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:19 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

MP is definitely adding more to that line that I thought Nyls would. But the result is mostly the same.

Adding to my man crush on MP, I can't believe how well that kid can get to loose pucks and protect the puck. I counted at least 3 times he came out of a 50-50 puck situation and won. I didn't see any in which he was overpowered.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:22 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Just for the record...I think Aucoin would be doing just as well on this line. Nothing against Perrault who has looked good, but Aucoin was doing the same things.

It's Clark, IMO, that is getting back to form and helping a line like this succeed. Huge deal come playoff time if he's 100%...or even 90%.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Just for the record...I think Aucoin would be doing just as well on this line. Nothing against Perrault who has looked good, but Aucoin was doing the same things.

It's Clark, IMO, that is getting back to form and helping a line like this succeed. Huge deal come playoff time if he's 100%...or even 90%.
It's definitely taken him a little while to get going, but he seems to be energized playing with MP and Fehr. He had a couple of nice scoring chances last night, which probably equaled his season total up to that point. I'm hoping that shootout goal really gets him rolling.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:28 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I thought Aucoin was adequate and an improvement to Stecks/Gordon. But I don't agree he's been consitently on the level that MP has shown from shift to shift. Results are close.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:38 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I thought Aucoin was adequate and an improvement to Stecks/Gordon. But I don't agree he's been consitently on the level that MP has shown from shift to shift. Results are close.
Agree to disagree then.

Same player...just different ages. Which isn't a bad thing.

Old
11-12-2009, 11:42 AM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
I think the biggest difference was in the defensive zone where it seemed Aucoin struggled while MP is passable.

Part of the resurgence of this line has got to go to Clark who has improved his play with the puck a lot from the beginning of the year.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
artilector

Quote:

Really -- Clark? To me, it's 100% about the center, MP/Aucoin vs Gordo/Stecks. Let BB put Gordon back in, and watch that line go from new hotness to old-n-busted in a second.

Aucoin was doing similar things, but he didn't seem to have MP's explosiveness nor confidence with the puck. Maybe MP is yet to come down from his adrenaline high, but still..

I've stopped hoping for a Clark resurrection a long time ago. I think Bradley is and will continue to be a better player..

Old
11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The Isles tv guys were guessing that Fehr's shot was actually an attempted pass to Perreault in the slot. I think I agree with them.
Fehr said as much in the postgame interview on radio.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Sorry...I don't see it. Aucoin just never clicked this well.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:00 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Agreed. To each their own.

I don't think Aucoin comes close when if comes to passing ability and vision. And he's a tad less shifty. MP can make quick moves and distribute the puck on a higher level that Aucion.

Aucoin has the workrate. Aucoin has good quickness. Aucoin makes smart decisions and has the vet knowledge.

Good player and I was disappointed when he was reassigned.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Aucoin was doing similar things, but he didn't seem to have MP's explosiveness nor confidence with the puck. Maybe MP is yet to come down from his adrenaline high, but still.
Aucoin didn't win as many 50/50 board battles. I don't know if Perreault is any stronger but he's positionally more savvy in those situations.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:04 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Aucoin didn't win as many 50/50 board battles. I don't know if Perreault is any stronger but he's positionally more savvy in those situations.
Really? Didn't see that, but will be good to watch..

Old
11-12-2009, 12:06 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I don't think Aucoin comes close when if comes to passing ability and vision. And he's a tad less shifty. MP can make quick moves and distribute the puck on a higher level that Aucion.
Pucksandbooks? Is that you?

I dunno...I'll admit I've never been a MP fan and never expected much. So perhaps I'm undervaluing his performance thus far. It's nice to see a rookie doing well and all...I'm just not gushing. Yet.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:

I dunno...I'll admit I've never been a MP fan and never expected much. So perhaps I'm undervaluing his performance thus far. It's nice to see a rookie doing well and all...I'm just not gushing. Yet.
Just out of curiosity, how much more were you expecting out of a rookie? I like what he's brought to the table and doesn't look out of place in the slightest. In fact, he's looked much better than any of the other established centers we've had out there on that 3rd line (or 4th, whatever you want to call it) this year. Aucion has played better than those guys too, but I'm on the side of the fence that has preferred MP's play thus far.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:18 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

I hope to see your head pop up from the airplane window this weekend....

God I love that game.

On topic: yeah MP. I don't l know PnB but I believe from other posts that person is a female who loves MP? And well if so you know I love me some Bravo TV! Not. I watched two hours of TV with my wife last night and then she ******* when I got on COD MW2 right after. Wayne Brady needs to slap a **.

Old
11-12-2009, 12:23 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
... I don't l know PnB but I believe from other posts that person is a female who loves MP? ....

nope, OFB blogger

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Millhaus

Perrault definitely is more creative, has better vision, and has better passing skills than Aucoin but Aucoin is the more well rounded player at this point IMO, but frankly that is to be expected given their differences in pro experience.

Given the wingers on this line I like Perrault because they both need a centerman who can get them the puck in decent shooting positions. With wingers who could create more on their own I would prefer Aucoin but that isn't the case.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:28 PM
txpd

I am not sure that it matters where Aucoin or Perrault was marginally better than the other. Its impact is that they both have gotten the job done and Perrault means McPhee doesnt need to use up Aucoin's eligible games.

The real impact of that line is seeing Clark and Fehr taking steps forward. Clark is a difference maker. His leadership can be key if his production comes up to where it needs to be. The shootout shot under pressure may have been more valuable than the assists of late. That was not the shot of a skill limited grinder.

Clark also made a real nice play to get Fehr the puck for the goal. The goal for Fehr doesnt need to have been intensional. He needs a good bounce or two to get him going.

If Boudreau is not going to match lines, a 3rd line line this one might really bring something. Perrault provides a spark and speed. Clark not only is fast enough to skate with the kid, but he is also gritty and respected around the league enough to protect the little guy. Nobody is going to mess with Perrault with Clark there. I didnt see it, but was Clark's fight the other day about just that subject? Fehr for his part has got to get caught up in the energy Clark and Perrault are bringing.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:39 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post

nope, OFB blogger
ha ha.

Hopefully strung considers him more feminate.