HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael F'in Nylander Thread (Headed to Dynamo Minsk?)

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
I would do it to remove the distraction, and make room to both call up Alzner and add another veteran defenseman either now or at the deadline. Not my money either, though.

What I wonder, though, is that if Leonsis is not fine with eating much of the salary to send him to Europe, why is he fine with paying the full $5.5M for a player the coach and GM apparently have no intention to play this season? One might suppose he wants McPhee to trade him in the NHL, but there isn't going to be a market this season for an expensive player with a high cap hit whom the Caps aren't showcasing. Playing him could not only potentially help the Caps, but raise his value on NHL trade and international markets.

Don't play him, and his value on both markets just decreases over time.

Play him. At least let him vindicate your lack of faith in him... but it's a new season. He gets a new chance to screw up all over again.

Old
10-16-2009, 09:33 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
It isn't my money, but I would do it, just to remove the distraction.
Agree. Of course, that is assuming Nylander has agreed to the loan and that all is left is the owner agreeing to losing the money.

The removal of a distraction, the flexibility the organization will have as it relates to call-ups and trade deadline deals, plus not using bonus cushion space that potentially will impact next season's cap hit are factors to consider for the owner along with the money.

Old
10-16-2009, 09:55 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Honest to god....Nylander isn't going anywhere. The trench is dug. The barbed wire has been set up. He's in it for the long haul.

Old
10-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking

vCash: 50
Nylander practiced with the third line today and Gordon remains out. With Theodore out and the team seemingly needing a replacement, it's going to force some interesting cap maneuvering.

The stars may be aligning for Nylander to be forced into the line-up...although 11F / 7D could be an alternative.

Last edited by Langway: 10-16-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old
10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Nylander practiced with the third line today and Gordon remains out. With Theodore out and the team seemingly needing a replacement, it's going to force some interesting cap maneuvering.

The stars may be aligning for Nylander to be forced into the line-up...although 11F / 7D could be an alternative.
I assume they'll just put Sloan in goal if need be.

Old
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
He had a 3 assist game playing with Fleischmann and Fehr last night for me in NHL 10.

So...it's obvious he should be playing.

Come on Bruce. Set him loose.
haha surprised you'd use him. i just benched his ass and hoped that someone would come knocking in a trade.

but yeah, i don't think Nylander will be going anywhere either. if something doesn't happen by mid November then i doubt anything ever will.

GMGM seems to have the patience to wait this thing out.

Old
10-16-2009, 12:17 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
haha surprised you'd use him. i just benched his ass and hoped that someone would come knocking in a trade.
I lost Bradley to waivers and Gordon and Aucoin were both injured.

I should have called up Perrault or Osala...but had a hunch Nyls would come through.

Old
10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I assume they'll just put Sloan in goal if need be.
HA! Nice.

Watching how Aucoin made that 3rd line better just convinces me that Nyls potentially can make them pseudo-dangerous.

Old
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

How? By circling offsides all the time?

Old
10-16-2009, 01:27 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

-2 stong forechecking forwards who shoot quickly and don't pass.
-1 circling puck possession forward who doesn't shoot. He carries puck, draws defenders, shields the puck, and sets up his wingers/Dmen for quick shots. His biggest asset is circling and giving the Right Dman a clear lane to shoot.
-With strong RH shots in Juice, Green, and Pots and bangers/close-in scorers/screeners/puck retrievers on the wings in Fehr and Clark the amount of chances from this line will be better than anything we've seen this year from line 3.

Just cause Nyls isn't worth 5M doesn't mean he's worthless. Also because on a game by game basis I think the team with its current roster is better with Nyls in doesn't mean I disagree with the strategy of trying to dump him.

This line is going to be weak defensively, but it's not going to be much worse than the 3rd lines we've seen so far.

Old
10-16-2009, 02:06 PM
init2winit

imo, people are forgetting how Nylander meshed with his linemates. like oil and water. i just always remember him trying to pick off passes that weren't intended for him, running into his own guys, and never gaining the zone before slowing down causing his linemates to go offside. If he had shown he was trying to fit in more I would be all for playing him, but he never seemed to be trying to switch things up to give himself a better chance at clicking with them.

I guess it also has to do with the fact that I am for the 'don't blink first' approach. imo, if he suits up for 1 game he might be more reluctant to accept being loaned out with the hope of gmgm giving in again in the future.

Old
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
They dont want to play him because he is better than half our forwards. HS has broken down how he can help our team. I think his best strength in on the puck. Coupled with someone that knows how to get into HIS passing lanes, you can build off of that. His wingers need to anticipate the spins's. Be late to the party. Lag behind the play, and try and time being in a lane as he spins. I used to think going to the net was a no brainer, but he never tries D men well in position by then, inevitably its a turnover and we are short going back the other way. The RD is really his best option, or simple short passes nearby, sticks locked and loaded.

Maybe the best way to use him is with a lead. And on the PK. Tell him to play keep away. Milk the clock until he is eating herring sandwiches in stockholm.

Old
10-16-2009, 02:30 PM
init2winit

Well for me, I understand the breakdown and it looks good on paper, but that is no different than how it should have played out last year and didn't. I just don't see him or his linemates meshing or altering their respective games.

Old
10-16-2009, 02:58 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
I lost Bradley to waivers and Gordon and Aucoin were both injured.

I should have called up Perrault or Osala...but had a hunch Nyls would come through.

i called up Osala and he put up 3 pts his first game, i put Nylander thru waivers, no bites .

Old
10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

the ozone rush stuff was the most laughable thing wrt watching Nyls. I remember him circling a 3 on 2. Nyls was on right. Laich coming down left drove the net. The 3rd guy stayed a little high in middle but didn't stay high enough. Nyls circled back and threw a pass to the left Dman open area... but no Dman got there and the 4th man back got the puck and put us in a world of hurt. In any system turnovers in transition that happen at the top of the attacking blue line suck (think of that Semin pass to AO in NYR game I think).

As Nyls circles the guy that drives the net can't peel off. Has to stop and camp in front. The 3rd man has to stay high, maintain a gap from the first net crasher, and get into the seam between the D and forwards as soon as Nyls peels. Depending on if Nyls gives is to the D, hits the 3rd man in, or peels back really determines where the linemates need to go.

If he hits the Dman both wingers go to net.

If he hits the 3rd man that guy needs to shoot immediately.

If he peels back towards the goal line then the 3rd guy needs to stay high and go to where Nyls was and the net crasher needs to work behind the net then cycle back in front ie a normal cycling position.

Those are the 3 standard Nyls options off the circle.

IMHO he could make Clark and Fehr semi-useful compared to the other options. And putting him on this team with other puck carriers/distributors is useless ie AO, Backstrom, Semin. Keep it ugly. Keep it fugly. Keep it ***! (that's for you Langway and II2WI)

Old
10-16-2009, 03:08 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
i called up Osala and he put up 3 pts his first game, i put Nylander thru waivers, no bites .
He's totally untradable. I've never seen anything like it in a hockey game. 5th rounder? Nope. Random AHL player with less than 70 rating? Nope.

I'm just glad the NMC isn't in the game. I'd

Old
10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Also I agree with II2WI on blinking. Everything they worked for from a pychological position is ruined if they blink.

Remember, Oprah says you have to beat and humiliate a man to change him!

edit: agreed with your post too RH. Funny about milking the lead! Also don't forget the shootouts!

Old
10-16-2009, 03:12 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
He's totally untradable. I've never seen anything like it in a hockey game. 5th rounder? Nope. Random AHL player with less than 70 rating? Nope.

I'm just glad the NMC isn't in the game. I'd
That he's untradeable in this game is funny as ****!

Old
10-16-2009, 03:16 PM
EroCaps

Something will get done. They need that space to beef up the D.

I doubt Teddy wants to sacrifice a shot at the Cup over 3 million.

With that said, they like their ****ing depth.

Old
10-16-2009, 03:23 PM
init2winit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
the ozone rush stuff was the most laughable thing wrt watching Nyls. I remember him circling a 3 on 2. Nyls was on right. Laich coming down left drove the net. The 3rd guy stayed a little high in middle but didn't stay high enough. Nyls circled back and threw a pass to the left Dman open area... but no Dman got there and the 4th man back got the puck and put us in a world of hurt. In any system turnovers in transition that happen at the top of the attacking blue line suck (think of that Semin pass to AO in NYR game I think).

As Nyls circles the guy that drives the net can't peel off. Has to stop and camp in front. The 3rd man has to stay high, maintain a gap from the first net crasher, and get into the seam between the D and forwards as soon as Nyls peels. Depending on if Nyls gives is to the D, hits the 3rd man in, or peels back really determines where the linemates need to go.

If he hits the Dman both wingers go to net.

If he hits the 3rd man that guy needs to shoot immediately.

If he peels back towards the goal line then the 3rd guy needs to stay high and go to where Nyls was and the net crasher needs to work behind the net then cycle back in front ie a normal cycling position.

Those are the 3 standard Nyls options off the circle.

IMHO he could make Clark and Fehr semi-useful compared to the other options. And putting him on this team with other puck carriers/distributors is useless ie AO, Backstrom, Semin. Keep it ugly. Keep it fugly. Keep it ***! (that's for you Langway and II2WI)
So is this what your handle stands for? I have figured you out HSHS. This has got to be you.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79877627@N00/288123224/

Old
10-16-2009, 03:24 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Something will get done. They need that space to beef up the D.

I doubt Teddy wants to sacrifice a shot at the Cup over 3 million.

With that said, they like their ****ing depth.
I'd be worried that if the Caps only get 1M relief from real dollars that we won't be seeing that cap space fully utilized. Maybe use it to bring up players or maybe a deadline acquisition.

Old
10-16-2009, 03:27 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

HA HA! Did Foy steal your account II2WI!? Nice.

Old
10-16-2009, 03:29 PM
txpd

Quote:
HA! Nice.

Watching how Aucoin made that 3rd line better just convinces me that Nyls potentially can make them pseudo-dangerous.
Pseudo. Does that mean: Not really dangerous? When Clark and Fehr start to score the puck some I will believe they can be dangerous. I am a Clark fan and while he looks fast and involved, I see a bagel for him in the goals column after 7 games.

Old
10-16-2009, 03:40 PM
init2winit

Quote:
HA HA! Did Foy steal your account II2WI!? Nice.
*creepy girl voice* I'll never tell *creepy girl voice*

Last edited by init2winit: 10-16-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old
10-16-2009, 03:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Pseudo. Does that mean: Not really dangerous? When Clark and Fehr start to score the puck some I will believe they can be dangerous. I am a Clark fan and while he looks fast and involved, I see a bagel for him in the goals column after 7 games.
I mean that they'll start getting more chances. And yeah a few goals and penalties will come. That's all a coach can do is put the guys together as best he can and mesh their styles. End of day the players still have to execute.

I think that the Fehr-Nyls-Clark line is the best option for creating chances on the 3rd line given the personnel.

I said pseudo cause they are not going to be an on-SOB dangerous. That's silly sick. To me our 2nd line is dangerous despite the lack of scoring at this moment.

Closed Thread