Notices

I HATE the Canadiens!

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2004, 05:43 AM
greyboy67

vCash: 500
A Cakewalk?

C'mon, no Habs fan with a modicum of brain matter thinks this will be a cakewalk. If the Canadiens do win, it will be in 7 games, no less than 6.

This is a better Habs team than in 2002, but the Bruins are improved as well—and exponentially better in goal.

As for ref calls and goonsmanship, fans see with their hearts. It's probably not as bad as either side believes.

Based on the games the teams played this season, every game could be a nail-biter. I am betting this will be the most entertaining of the first round matchups. Although I would have preferred to play Toronto instead of Boston, the Bruins do seem to bring the best out in the Habs.

I'm predicting that the outcome will ride on the performance of the Calder candidates; Raycroft and Ryder. Raycroft is fully capable of pulling a Giguere and taking Boston to the finals. He's playing better than Theo right now and I don't expect any drop off.

On the flip side, Ryder is the next Tim Kerr, the purest goal-scorer to wear a Habs jersey in a long time. Montreal would not be here without him and Boston must contain him in they want to advance.

Old
04-05-2004, 06:58 AM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Wow, a thought out intelligent somewhat accurate statement by a Hab fan.
It took you 2 months to post? That explains the thought out part.

Seriously, I agree with your statements.

Old
04-05-2004, 07:35 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
I can't stand the Habs either, but here's to a great series with the Bruins coming out on top!

Old
04-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreDaigle
The Canadiens suck worse than my career did.
:lol

Old
04-05-2004, 07:52 AM
neelynugs

where's my man bergeron? now HE hates the habs!!

and so do i

Old
04-05-2004, 08:05 AM
BearAttack

Don't these smurf fans have their own board? What I hate about the Habs is their fans. They are sooo obnoxious. As for my brother-in-law - he will be cheering for his ABC team. Anyone But the Canadians (or Calgary). He's an oliers fan.

Question: Do any of you Bruins posters (Johnny V not included) spend all of you time trolling the Habs board?

I thought so you have better things to do.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Pielsman

Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
You're right..

and I hope the memo has been sent out to our B's: don't sneeze next to Koivu or you'll be called for roughing. Especially don't sneeze three times in a row next to Koivu because you'll also be called for charging
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats funny, but so close to the truth its scary to me. Hopefully Fraser wont be the ref for any of the B's games in the opening round.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:47 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingcrwns
History is important, but has no relevance in comparing these 2 nhl teams in the 2004 playoffs. That's like arguing that the Celtics are going to go all the way this year because they have 16 NBA championships. What matters this year in this playoff series is (Aside from the Refs)

Knuble, Thornton, Murray
Samsanov, Nylaner, Bergeron
Axelsson, Rolston, Lapointe
Zamuner, Green, Donato

Gonchar, O'Donnell
Boynton, McGillis
Slegt, Gill

Raycroft
Potvin

Mike Sullivan

Bulis, Koivu, Zednik
Ryder, Perreault, Kovalev
Dagenais, Ribeiro, Sundstrom
Begin, Dowd, Ward

Souray, Quintal
Markov, Rivet
Bouillon, Brisebois

Theodore
Garon

Claude Julien
Perreault wont even play and if he plays, it will be on the 4th line....

Old
04-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Considering how good he is at faceoffs, I'd be surprised not to see him play.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:51 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr
Considering how good he is at faceoffs, I'd be surprised not to see him play.
He wont be the second line center thats for sure...

Old
04-05-2004, 08:59 AM
HockeyGoddess

Just remember, folks... as soon as Wednesday hits, threads like these where trolling/inflammatory commentary is very likely to occur, posts will be deleted where trolling occurs, as well as feeding of said trolls (responding to them), warnings handed out, and bans issued should it come to that.

Habs fans, if you want to talk smack about the Bruins, DO SO ON YOUR OWN BOARD. Don't come here and start stuff, because YOU will be the one who suffers for it in the end.

Bruins fans, if you want to talk smack about the Habs, DO SO ON THIS BOARD. Don't go to the Habs board and start stuff, because YOU will be the one who suffers for it in the end.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
04-05-2004, 12:55 PM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
I haven't taken the time to study the potential Habs lineup's, I took the lines from a post on the General Playoff Discussion board in the "Predictions for habs vs bruins 1st round" thread. That lineup was posted by Fish on The Sand. It doesn't really matter what the lineup is anyway, my point is this year's results will result from this years teams. It won't be decided based on who's won more in the past.

Old
04-05-2004, 01:01 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage
First post.... long time reader.

All i have to say is I agree with you....I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!
Wow. Way to start off on a positive note

Old
04-05-2004, 01:15 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe

Seriously though, I respect you. I didn't Canadien fans could speak english.
I thought the same about people from Red Deer

Old
04-05-2004, 01:18 PM
orrthegreatest

I have been a Bruin fan since the early 70's...There is nobody I would like to knock out of the playoffs more, I am happy we are opening up with the hated habs....
GO BRUINS.......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cannot wait for the first game

Old
04-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Guy!

Hate us? Don't hate us, we're just misunderstood.

As to the series at hand, allow me to be brutally honest here. In goal, despite Raycroft's brilliant year (no Calder for him = no brains left in the voters), I give a wee edge to the Habs since Theo's been in this type of series. And while some Hab posters have decided to question Razor's abilities because he's a rookie and won't be able to handle the pressure, I completely disagree and figure, after what he's shown in the regular season, he's going to be excellent. In this series, the goalies will probably not be the deciding factor - when I give a slight edge to the Habs, it's so slight it's barely worth mentioning. Call it the One More Playoff Series Won edge.

Defensively the Bruins are no longer the slow slugs from two years ago (sadly) and have picked up a couple of excellent puck moving rear-guards. Although I do believe those two (Gonch and Slegr) are a little more deficient defensively, I feel that the Bruins and the Habs are basically the equal of each other on the blue line - with a few caveats. Markov must play at his best and Souray can't be injured. The rest of the Habs defense is probably mildly underrated league-wide (much the same as the Bruin defence, I'd wager). Net result, call it a draw.

Up front, assuming Thornton plays, the Bruins have a definite edge - and probably right down through the lineup. If Thornton doesn't play, everyone else will have to drop the excuses and play to potential, and if they do, I don't think the Habs can even match them then. In terms of depth and skill, while the Canadiens are a lot closer than they were two years ago, I still think Boston is more than a match. Easy edge to the Bruins.

So, on paper, the Bruins should win this one, probably in 6, maybe in 5. However, that's paper, we live in reality.

The Habs have been coached in a system that works with the players available. It's not perfect, but when they stick to that system, it's the great equalizer and would negate any advantage that Boston has up front. Juneau, while greying and slower, still does a bang-up job on Thornton whenever we meet. We've also added Begin and Dowd who are able to perform shut-down duties as well. The rest of the team, with very few exceptions, all play tightly within the system and rarely get out-worked. I cannot comment on the B's coaching as I don't know him all that well - all I can say is that he got a talented club to within two points of the conference win, and that's pretty darn good.

Special teams is the area that I believe will the the big difference. Montreal finished somewhat higher in the PP department, but the key to reading that stat is understanding that in recent weeks we've dropped from a high of sixth overall to 10th - not good. Boston, while finishing lower, has been more consistent overall (correct me here if I'm wrong) and I think is the better team at this moment in time with the man advantage. The PK looks equally dismal for both clubs, and while I can say that Montreal has improved in recent games, I cannot say anything for Boston - that quantity is an unknown to me (until I do more research). I'd have to end up calling that stat a wash, though, considering how poor both teams are.

That brings us to the intangibles, the first one of which is the stigma that goes into these series. No matter how much history is dismissed, there has to be something in the back of each player's mind: "Why do we beat Boston more often than not", and "Why do the Habs have our number in the playoffs more often than not." Legitimate questions both, and this series will depend on who can flush that question the quickest. If the B's win that first game or two, that stigma is gone unless the Habs mount some kind of come-back. If the Habs win one of the first two games, though, that question may linger longer than it should.

Mentally, the Habs are fragile, in my opinion. They started the season terribly, have had a few setbacks this year (including two dust-ups in practice), and despite a huge run of success, they ended the note on a less than great note - that last game, despite the win, showed little in the way of 'system'. Boston is a more solid team mentally, I believe. They also had a strong start, but I feel that the confidence from Beantown has always been at a higher level than in Montreal, despite losing streaks and injuries.

Naturally the reffing will come into question, but here, I believe, it's just perceived problems, and nothing real. If it seems biased one way or the other, I believe that's just because the refs will be so incompetent that it will frustrate each fan more than the next. Montreal has been remarkably quiet with respect to perceived slights from the zebras, showing a maturity I would not have expected from a first year coach. I can't speak to Boston in this matter either, I'll leave that to you B's fans to determine. All I can say is that if one team or the other gets overly peeved, frustration will probably cost games in this type of series. Montreal will probably not get in that situation, though there are a couple of hot-heads. The B's? They've been known to get somewhat steamed, it's a matter of keeping Thornton's head in the game and not on his opponent - too many retaliation penalties (in my opinion the last step before he shoots to super-stardom).

The last intangible has to be the mouths, and Rolston (who many B's fans have pointed out isn't playing well so should shut his trap) has spewed off to the media, apparently, a couple of times. I think anyone with open eyes can see that Boston is the better team, but I like to think that people who are better don't need to proclaim it with no sense of class and sportsmanship, but can shut up and show it on the ice, then lower their heads at the end and shake hands like gentlemen, thanking the opposition for a wonderful series. If Rolston (or any Hab) spouts off, I honestly believe this just adds fuel to the other team and will tip balances quickly.

Now, the seventh player, and I'm not talking about the fans - both sets of fans are great, and I think they cancel each other out. Mo. Mentum. That dude. Fickle guy, doesn't really know who he prefers, but he's the decider. I think Boston has it on his side. Montreal has his little brother, Under Dog, but Mo is the better brother, and short of a clothesline hit, (illegal but I still say he didn't deserve suspension as it wasn't intentional) he'll probably stick largely with the Bruins. If Mo has any weakness, it's superior talent, and he generally sticks with those guys as long as the Gravy Train is steaming along.

Tight series in the end. Boston in 6 or 7 - because they're the better team and the Habs don't have cancer or clotheslines or anything else to boost them over the top.

A Concerned Fan

Old
04-05-2004, 03:04 PM
SToMper!

Hey Guy!
very pleasureable read. Thanks!

Old
04-05-2004, 03:11 PM
ranold26
The real Gahden

I HATE THEM TOO! :mad:

Old
04-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
I'm a Lover ...not a Hater...
I LOVE beating those
those smurfs !!!

GO BRUINS !!!!!

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-05-2004, 03:16 PM
BruinsGirl

Geez....this is probably the first time I am reading from a Habs fan (an a little bit of a B's fan ) that Habs won't necessarily beat us in 5 or 6.

Very nice analysis, just like every analysis you Guy! did about Habs games.

Welcome to our board during playoff run to discuss our teams.

Old
04-05-2004, 03:29 PM
scosar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Geez....this is probably the first time I am reading from a Habs fan (an a little bit of a B's fan ) that Habs won't necessarily beat us in 5 or 6.

Very nice analysis, just like every analysis you Guy! did about Habs games.

Welcome to our board during playoff run to discuss our teams.

Well Guy admitted earlier that he was a closet Bruins fan. As for the series I don't know how anyone say the Habs will definitely win. The B's finished first for a reason. They are a better team than Mtl. Can Mtl win, most definitely as can any of the play-off teams. But for Mtl to win a lot of things have to fall in their favor and please don't whine about the refs. Every city thinks their team are constantly picked on by the zebra's. You should live near Buffalo and listen to their radio station. Boston is a bigger team than Mtl. Mtl is a faster team than Boston. Therefor Boston will get more penalties than Mtl. Tampa is a fast small (not as small as Mtl) team. They and Mtl took the fewest penalties and were given the most in the second half of the season. I don't think anyone believes the NHL favors the Lightning.

Good luck to the Bruins. For the first time in well forever Boston paid more than lip service to helping their team at the trade deadline. They really look good enough to win it all.

I have been watching Mtl Boston play-offs since I went to my first one at the Forum in 71. I can only hope this series turns out like that one.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:40 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyboy67
C'mon, no Habs fan with a modicum of brain matter thinks this will be a cakewalk. If the Canadiens do win, it will be in 7 games, no less than 6.

This is a better Habs team than in 2002, but the Bruins are improved as well—and exponentially better in goal.

As for ref calls and goonsmanship, fans see with their hearts. It's probably not as bad as either side believes.

Based on the games the teams played this season, every game could be a nail-biter. I am betting this will be the most entertaining of the first round matchups. Although I would have preferred to play Toronto instead of Boston, the Bruins do seem to bring the best out in the Habs.

I'm predicting that the outcome will ride on the performance of the Calder candidates; Raycroft and Ryder. Raycroft is fully capable of pulling a Giguere and taking Boston to the finals. He's playing better than Theo right now and I don't expect any drop off.

On the flip side, Ryder is the next Tim Kerr, the purest goal-scorer to wear a Habs jersey in a long time. Montreal would not be here without him and Boston must contain him in they want to advance.
As much as I am looking forward to this series because I think it will be great, I'd love to see all of the Ottawa-Toronto series. It seems to me that the B's - Habs rivalry is basically fan driven while the Ottawa and Toronto players seem to genuinely hate each other.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:51 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Hate us? Don't hate us, we're just misunderstood.

As to the series at hand, allow me to be brutally honest here. In goal, despite Raycroft's brilliant year (no Calder for him = no brains left in the voters), I give a wee edge to the Habs since Theo's been in this type of series. And while some Hab posters have decided to question Razor's abilities because he's a rookie and won't be able to handle the pressure, I completely disagree and figure, after what he's shown in the regular season, he's going to be excellent. In this series, the goalies will probably not be the deciding factor - when I give a slight edge to the Habs, it's so slight it's barely worth mentioning. Call it the One More Playoff Series Won edge.

Defensively the Bruins are no longer the slow slugs from two years ago (sadly) and have picked up a couple of excellent puck moving rear-guards. Although I do believe those two (Gonch and Slegr) are a little more deficient defensively, I feel that the Bruins and the Habs are basically the equal of each other on the blue line - with a few caveats. Markov must play at his best and Souray can't be injured. The rest of the Habs defense is probably mildly underrated league-wide (much the same as the Bruin defence, I'd wager). Net result, call it a draw.

Up front, assuming Thornton plays, the Bruins have a definite edge - and probably right down through the lineup. If Thornton doesn't play, everyone else will have to drop the excuses and play to potential, and if they do, I don't think the Habs can even match them then. In terms of depth and skill, while the Canadiens are a lot closer than they were two years ago, I still think Boston is more than a match. Easy edge to the Bruins.

So, on paper, the Bruins should win this one, probably in 6, maybe in 5. However, that's paper, we live in reality.

The Habs have been coached in a system that works with the players available. It's not perfect, but when they stick to that system, it's the great equalizer and would negate any advantage that Boston has up front. Juneau, while greying and slower, still does a bang-up job on Thornton whenever we meet. We've also added Begin and Dowd who are able to perform shut-down duties as well. The rest of the team, with very few exceptions, all play tightly within the system and rarely get out-worked. I cannot comment on the B's coaching as I don't know him all that well - all I can say is that he got a talented club to within two points of the conference win, and that's pretty darn good.

Special teams is the area that I believe will the the big difference. Montreal finished somewhat higher in the PP department, but the key to reading that stat is understanding that in recent weeks we've dropped from a high of sixth overall to 10th - not good. Boston, while finishing lower, has been more consistent overall (correct me here if I'm wrong) and I think is the better team at this moment in time with the man advantage. The PK looks equally dismal for both clubs, and while I can say that Montreal has improved in recent games, I cannot say anything for Boston - that quantity is an unknown to me (until I do more research). I'd have to end up calling that stat a wash, though, considering how poor both teams are.

That brings us to the intangibles, the first one of which is the stigma that goes into these series. No matter how much history is dismissed, there has to be something in the back of each player's mind: "Why do we beat Boston more often than not", and "Why do the Habs have our number in the playoffs more often than not." Legitimate questions both, and this series will depend on who can flush that question the quickest. If the B's win that first game or two, that stigma is gone unless the Habs mount some kind of come-back. If the Habs win one of the first two games, though, that question may linger longer than it should.

Mentally, the Habs are fragile, in my opinion. They started the season terribly, have had a few setbacks this year (including two dust-ups in practice), and despite a huge run of success, they ended the note on a less than great note - that last game, despite the win, showed little in the way of 'system'. Boston is a more solid team mentally, I believe. They also had a strong start, but I feel that the confidence from Beantown has always been at a higher level than in Montreal, despite losing streaks and injuries.

Naturally the reffing will come into question, but here, I believe, it's just perceived problems, and nothing real. If it seems biased one way or the other, I believe that's just because the refs will be so incompetent that it will frustrate each fan more than the next. Montreal has been remarkably quiet with respect to perceived slights from the zebras, showing a maturity I would not have expected from a first year coach. I can't speak to Boston in this matter either, I'll leave that to you B's fans to determine. All I can say is that if one team or the other gets overly peeved, frustration will probably cost games in this type of series. Montreal will probably not get in that situation, though there are a couple of hot-heads. The B's? They've been known to get somewhat steamed, it's a matter of keeping Thornton's head in the game and not on his opponent - too many retaliation penalties (in my opinion the last step before he shoots to super-stardom).

The last intangible has to be the mouths, and Rolston (who many B's fans have pointed out isn't playing well so should shut his trap) has spewed off to the media, apparently, a couple of times. I think anyone with open eyes can see that Boston is the better team, but I like to think that people who are better don't need to proclaim it with no sense of class and sportsmanship, but can shut up and show it on the ice, then lower their heads at the end and shake hands like gentlemen, thanking the opposition for a wonderful series. If Rolston (or any Hab) spouts off, I honestly believe this just adds fuel to the other team and will tip balances quickly.

Now, the seventh player, and I'm not talking about the fans - both sets of fans are great, and I think they cancel each other out. Mo. Mentum. That dude. Fickle guy, doesn't really know who he prefers, but he's the decider. I think Boston has it on his side. Montreal has his little brother, Under Dog, but Mo is the better brother, and short of a clothesline hit, (illegal but I still say he didn't deserve suspension as it wasn't intentional) he'll probably stick largely with the Bruins. If Mo has any weakness, it's superior talent, and he generally sticks with those guys as long as the Gravy Train is steaming along.

Tight series in the end. Boston in 6 or 7 - because they're the better team and the Habs don't have cancer or clotheslines or anything else to boost them over the top.

A Concerned Fan
Nice to see a realistic Habs fan post here. There is no reason for Habs fans to say that they are the better team or that they will win this series because they have had 82 games to earn more points in the standings and they didn't. Furthermore the head to head record favors the B's.

But for Canadien fans to say anything other than they "have a chance" in this series is silly. There is a reason that the B's finished 5 places higher in the standings and won the season series between the two teams.

With that being said however, there is always a chance that the Habs pull out the series because they have a good goaltender and because all the playoff teams in the east are relatively evenly matched.

Regardless, nice to see fuel added to the rivalry.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Bruin_Ron

Nice, Guy!

While we have the momentum, it's also worth mentioning that we are comfortable on the road. While our regular season road record may mean nothing this time of year, one may say that generally, our B's are comfortable on the road... more so than most teams. This could also be an advantage

Old
04-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
Nice, Guy!

While we have the momentum, it's also worth mentioning that we are comfortable on the road. While our regular season road record may mean nothing this time of year, one may say that generally, our B's are comfortable on the road... more so than most teams. This could also be an advantage
Well we have one of the loudest crowd in playoffs , it's not like u were playing Carolina in front of 5 000 folks .

Closed Thread