HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting choice by Sather

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2004, 12:23 PM
  #1
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Interesting choice by Sather

I'm just sitting back here reading TSN and come across a article saying Sather asked Lindros if he wanted to be traded before the deadline. As I'm sure most of you know by now Leetch was never asked by Sather about where he wanted to go or if he wanted to be traded at all. I for one find this very interesting and very disrespectful to say the least. I can understand that he asked Lindros, that's all well and good but how can he not ask Leetch? He's one of the best Rangers of all time, if not the best, and gave everything he had to the Rangers.

Didn't like Sather at any point in his career and now I dislike him even more. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact the Leafs got Leetch because he's a outstanding addition but the fact he can disrespect Leetch is such a manner is very disturbing.

Just thought I would share.

Savage is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 12:54 PM
  #2
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,155
vCash: 500
I thought he asked Lindros if he was healthy enough to be dealt?

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 02:58 PM
  #3
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,834
vCash: 500
I'm sure it had more to do with Lindros past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I'm just sitting back here reading TSN and come across a article saying Sather asked Lindros if he wanted to be traded before the deadline. As I'm sure most of you know by now Leetch was never asked by Sather about where he wanted to go or if he wanted to be traded at all. I for one find this very interesting and very disrespectful to say the least. I can understand that he asked Lindros, that's all well and good but how can he not ask Leetch? He's one of the best Rangers of all time, if not the best, and gave everything he had to the Rangers.

Didn't like Sather at any point in his career and now I dislike him even more. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact the Leafs got Leetch because he's a outstanding addition but the fact he can disrespect Leetch is such a manner is very disturbing.

Just thought I would share.

of being a whining little girl about the teams he does and doesn't play for.

Why go into a situation not fully prepared.

Let's say that Eric was healthy and didn't want to be traded to a specific team (for arguments sake we use the Leafs) and Sather makes a deal with the Leafs without exploring Lindros thoughts. Eric refuses to reprort and we have a problem that was self inflicted.

Through Erics past actions of being a little girl he needed to be asked so that Sather could deal from a position of strength as opposed to not knowing what Eric and his Dad would do.

Leetch on the other had was dealt to a team that has a very legit shot at winning the Stanley Cup and while some notification would have been nice, it's not like he sent him to Manitoba in the IHL either.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 03:35 PM
  #4
Fotiu22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Leetch deserved better. Bottom line. No if's and's or but's... he deserved better. Who cares that he went to a cup contender, he DIDN'T want to go and had earned the right to have some say in his future.

I hate Sather like a fat kid hates gym class.

Fotiu22 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 03:51 PM
  #5
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Honestly...

Leetch had zero right. While I was torn that Leetch was eventually traded, and I do not particularly like Sather, he had no obligation to tell Leetch beforehand, or ask Leetch's permission. No individual player has that right. No individual player should be treated in that manner different than anybody else. As a courtesy, it may've been nice, but in reality, it's not required.

Fletch is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 04:31 PM
  #6
Fotiu22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
you're right, it's not required. But it was the right thing to do. Whether or not YOU think that no player deserves that right, many are granted the courtesy. Maybe you misunderstood me, or maybe i mis-wrote what i meant.... Do I think that Leetch had a "right" to nix any trade? NO. do i think he earned the right to to be consulted on the matter before hand? i guess courtesy is a better word. you say "no individual player should be treated in that manner differently than anybody else".... that's a crock. its called respect. some players earn it, some dont. some DESERVE courtesy, and some dont. And when you're dealing the player who is arguably one of the best, if not THE best, in franchise HISTORY, the courtesy ABSOLUTELY SHOULD HAVE BEEN GRANTED.

Fotiu22 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 04:35 PM
  #7
Fotiu22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Just like here on the message board... i have 23 posts and have not earned any courtesy as I am a new guy.... FLETCH on the other hand.... you have earned your respect (see 5,117 posts)... and for that I say, though i disagree with your view on the leetch situation, I respect your opinion.


Fotiu22 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 05:07 PM
  #8
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,155
vCash: 500
Again, Sather never asked Lindros if he could trade him, the article only says Sather asked him if he was healthy or not.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 05:58 PM
  #9
007
You 'Orns!
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
The Star-Ledger says that Sather asked Lindros if he wanted to be traded, but that his health problems made it a moot point.

It's possible that there's a fine difference between this situation and Leetch's. Where Leetch was traded because of a huge return, perhaps Sather didn't see much point in spending time working out a deal for Lindros because of the minimal return he could have gotten. If Lindros really wanted to leave, perhaps Sather might have tried to swing something. Pure speculation, of course.

I agree with Fletch that telling Leetch would have been out of courtesy, not obligation, but if any one player deserved that courtesy...

007 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 05:58 PM
  #10
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,834
vCash: 500
how do I get some of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22
Just like here on the message board... i have 23 posts and have not earned any courtesy as I am a new guy.... FLETCH on the other hand.... you have earned your respect (see 5,117 posts)... and for that I say, though i disagree with your view on the leetch situation, I respect your opinion.


5K+ posts means he has no life and for that you bow??

Kneel beneath me as I am the king of not having a life

pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 06:00 PM
  #11
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,834
vCash: 500
justr busting Fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
5K+ posts means he has no life and for that you bow??

Kneel beneath me as I am the king of not having a life


pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:12 PM
  #12
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
5K posts...

and no party? You guys are whack, that's for sure!

And hope you never get to the level of posts I've gotten to Fotiu. It's taken a lot of hard work, dedication, wasted time, time wasted, arguing, agreeing, analyzing, *****in', applauding, burping, farting and sneezing to get here, wherever that is as I've lost my train of thought. Oh yeah...screw Leetch. This team needed to dump his butt already.

OK, I don't mean that. He is my second favorite player in the NHL and probably my favorite NHL person since Graves left.

Fletch is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 11:52 PM
  #13
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
of being a whining little girl about the teams he does and doesn't play for.

Why go into a situation not fully prepared.

Let's say that Eric was healthy and didn't want to be traded to a specific team (for arguments sake we use the Leafs) and Sather makes a deal with the Leafs without exploring Lindros thoughts. Eric refuses to reprort and we have a problem that was self inflicted.

Through Erics past actions of being a little girl he needed to be asked so that Sather could deal from a position of strength as opposed to not knowing what Eric and his Dad would do.

Leetch on the other had was dealt to a team that has a very legit shot at winning the Stanley Cup and while some notification would have been nice, it's not like he sent him to Manitoba in the IHL either.
I think you're just a little off base here pld--Lindros has not been a problem in any shape or form since he got here and even though I was never a fan of his in Philly (and of course was one of the posters here absolutely against trading for him), it was clear to me that Clarke had done a real hatchet job on him.

I have no doubt that Lindros would have reported to any team he would have been traded to, if healthy enough to play. And there's no reason to think overwise: he would have been traded to a playoff team or one desperate to make one last push to get a playoff spot and he will be a free agent at the end of the year (or have a guaranteed contract paying him $10+ million a year if the team trading for him picked up the option). Not reporting would have been pretty much the same as announcing his retirement and Lindros clearly loves to play hockey and wants to continue playing next season.

As for the Leetch trade: Sather should have at least warned Leetch of the possibility of a trade. It would have taken very little--a 5 minute phone call--and didn't need to be anything more than a heads up. Leetch would have taken it for what it was and wouldn't have done anything to hurt his trade value.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
04-06-2004, 05:55 AM
  #14
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,834
vCash: 500
Didn't mean to imply that he's been a problem here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I think you're just a little off base here pld--Lindros has not been a problem in any shape or form since he got here and even though I was never a fan of his in Philly (and of course was one of the posters here absolutely against trading for him), it was clear to me that Clarke had done a real hatchet job on him.

I have no doubt that Lindros would have reported to any team he would have been traded to, if healthy enough to play. And there's no reason to think overwise: he would have been traded to a playoff team or one desperate to make one last push to get a playoff spot and he will be a free agent at the end of the year (or have a guaranteed contract paying him $10+ million a year if the team trading for him picked up the option). Not reporting would have been pretty much the same as announcing his retirement and Lindros clearly loves to play hockey and wants to continue playing next season.

As for the Leetch trade: Sather should have at least warned Leetch of the possibility of a trade. It would have taken very little--a 5 minute phone call--and didn't need to be anything more than a heads up. Leetch would have taken it for what it was and wouldn't have done anything to hurt his trade value.

but on the other had, you can't totally disregard the fact that he didn't report to 1 team in Jr's and forced a trade to another team. He didn't report to the team that drafted him out of Jr's and made it very very difficult for the Flyers to trade him as he limited the teams he would report to, to just 4 teams.

He's been a model citizen since joining the Rangers, I can say that without hesitation, but to disregard how many times he's done what he's done in the past prior to trading him now would be a little nieve on Sather's part.

I also agree that Clarke was not right in what he did to Eric, but I'm not about to let 3 years of being a model citizen wipe away the fact that Lindros also had some hand in what went on in Philly and I'm not going to allow those 3 years to wipe away the fact that Eric has on 2 seperate occassions prevented a team from doing what was right due to his selfish actions.

If I were the GM, I'd want to make sure that the team I was potentially going to deal him to would be a team he had no problem reporting to and the only way to find that our would be to ask him directly.

As for Leetch, I do think that he could have been advised that teams were showing interest and that there may be a possibility of a deal, but if I'm going to relate it to how I would have liked it handled had that been me, I would have preferred it the way it went down so as to not worry about the possibility of playing in how many different cities? My feeling is don't tell me about the deal until it's done and then tell me where to fly.

to each his own.

pld459666 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.