HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are You Confident We Are A Legitimate Playoff Team?

View Poll Results: Are We A Legitimate Playoff Team?
Yes. 116 68.24%
No. 14 8.24%
As of right now, who knows. 40 23.53%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
huh ? you have been saying this for a long time now, but i don't get your point ? What the flip does size have to do when comparing talent and heart ? You have been way use to watching the Kovalevs of this world. Weren't we bigger in the playoffs last year up front ? That got is far huh ?
Read it over and over until you get it

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:44 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I have been for almost 2 years now..i must be slow...than again i am not the one writing it...

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:53 AM
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Just how big were the Canes, Pens, Wings and Hawks up front compare to the Habs?

“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”

-Mark Twain

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:55 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25th View Post
Just how big were the Canes, Pens, Wings and Hawks up front compare to the Habs?

“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”

-Mark Twain
His point is MooT, size is way overated in the new NHL.

Old
09-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

... voted yes

chemistry and goaltending being the more uncertain variables.

If we come up aces in nets and the team develops good chemistry we'll be in contention for our Division and one of the top 3 spots.

If not, I still think we have the talent/depth to hold a bottom 3 spot.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:03 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

3rd in the East

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I really don't, I'll give a yes or no 20 games into the season.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:21 AM
RC51

It's the same argument since the first game in the NHL.
Size vs Speed and Teamwork vs the Superstar.
Fact- A Superstar has both Size + Speed+Talent thats what makes him A Superstar. I am not talking about the Past am am talking about 2009 and forward.
Fact- The entire NHL might have 5 true ( todays standards ) Superstars ( size+speed+talent) Everybody else lacks at least something.
Now think about any 2 teams, one with mostly size with some speed and the other with mostly speed with some size. You now start to see a ton of variables and argument to be made for and from both sides. A lot of people like the west right now because there are more "size" teams, it's tougher to play out there, it's impressive to see the big hits and crunching checks. BUT you really must add water to that wine. You MUST value SPEED with the same amount of awe. The EST won the cup not the west. The object is to WIN the game.
The NHL does not have enough Size+Speed+Talent to fill an entire roster on one team. That's why we have competition, that's why this debate will last forever. We have all seen both do well IE Philly's broadstreet bullies and cups in a row on size and talent and well the Habs twice running 5 in a row on Speed and Talent.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:35 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Apparently the Leafs are a shoo-in to make the play-offs.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Comming from a Laffs fan, we should be worried about our goaltending Huh ? You should be more worried about your Offense, Defense, and Goaltending !
A little on the defensive side, no?

I think your D has been improved greatly. A nice mix of puckmovers, size, heavy shots, defensive minded, offensive minded, etc.

Your forward group, although a little small, should be good enough to get you to the playoffs. I love the addition of Travis Moen.

Now the biggest question mark is Price. Hopefully for you guys he's recovered from his meltdown and can play up to expectations. Once you're in the playoffs, however, I don't see him being the guy to win you a game.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Apparently the Leafs are a shoo-in to make the play-offs.
Well, of course ! They have an immobile defense, a group that scored 250 goals, but they were a defensive first team, it was just Toskala, Joseph, Pogge and Gerber who sucked. I guess they finally realized Pogge did. They will get Kessel, so they're going to score more than the Oliers of the 80s, and let in 10 goals, if the opposition is lucky.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
A little on the defensive side, no?

I think your D has been improved greatly. A nice mix of puckmovers, size, heavy shots, defensive minded, offensive minded, etc.

Your forward group, although a little small, should be good enough to get you to the playoffs. I love the addition of Travis Moen.

Now the biggest question mark is Price. Hopefully for you guys he's recovered from his meltdown and can play up to expectations. Once you're in the playoffs, however, I don't see him being the guy to win you a game.
Nope not defensive, just hate leafs fans commenting on Price when you have an even bigger ? in front of your net ! If Price faulters we always have Halak who has very similar stats !

Old
09-12-2009, 12:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Since most of the experts are predicting that we finish out of the top 8. I'm very confident that we are going to make the playoffs.
Actually, TSN does a team a day, starting from the projected bottom team, they've done 7 eastern conference teams so far(15 to 9th), we're not one of them.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:16 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Actually, TSN does a team a day, starting from the projected bottom team, they've done 7 eastern conference teams so far(15 to 9th), we're not one of them.
yes but he said experts.. i know terrible attempt at humor. sorry.

Old
09-12-2009, 12:24 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
We are no better on paper than last year so who knows...
I think we are younger, faster, and seem to have more durable players...we are a playoff team, if Price and Halak play well, and Martin coaching I think we could be 3rd-6th in the conference...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
yes but he said experts.. i know terrible attempt at humor. sorry.
lol, so be it, but I like TSN. I find it odd that people say TSN isn't an expert source(their projections aren't perfect, I know that) but then they get more accurate than some of the other "experts".

Old
09-12-2009, 01:06 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
lol, so be it, but I like TSN. I find it odd that people say TSN isn't an expert source(their projections aren't perfect, I know that) but then they get more accurate than some of the other "experts".
i was just being the "class clown"
i dislike TSN for their lovefest with T.O, but i think that they have some really good people working there, in comparison to our french counterpart.

Old
09-12-2009, 01:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
i dislike TSN for their lovefest with T.O, but i think that they have some really good people working there, in comparison to our french counterpart.
lol, no I realized you were joking, don't worry. I hate TSN for their TO love as well, but they are based in TO, not much you can do. We have RDS for us...although those experts well...I'm convinced they find them on the street and give them a suit.

Old
09-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
His point is MooT, size is way overated in the new NHL.
Quote:
Toronto sports Network.

Toronto, or rather the GTA is the most dense area in Canada, so of course they're going to appease to the largest group of people in Canada, not too mention they're in Toronto.

They do, like you said, have a cast of people who aren't pro Toronto.

Even CBC is like that, but it's just because of P.J. Stock they suck.As long as he doesn't have Boston to talk about he does alright.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 01:37 PM
GordonGraham

This teams looks like the rangers of old, a bunch of good ufa's put together, who knows how this will end up

Ill reserve judgment until training camp is over

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 02:41 PM
vaya

my safest estimate is that we'll battle for a lower playoff spot (5-8), but i'm not too worried about missing the playoffs. with injuries, we could fall around 7-10, but if certain players have career years (the newcomers, ak46, etc) we could finish as high as 3rd or 4th in the east. i don't think we'll be considered favorites, but we could surprise and win a playoff round.

vaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
dutchy29

I think in any given year the first 20games are irrelevent in comparison to how a team
will match up come playoff time. Granted if you dig to big of a hole in that first 20games you could be finished. Many mediocre teams come out of the gate on fire but the true test IMO is the last 60. Being that Montreal has completely transformed this season, it may take 30 games for Montreal to hit their stride. On paper we look like a 100pt team.
Will Lats and Laps continue to improve? will be a major step for us. Is Price ready to win 30games? Our defense is definetly better, no question. Our new forwards are better on paper, but only if they can find some chemistry, and handle the media.
Are our new forwards too small? Do we have enough size on our team to protect them?
I think we are gonna finish between 5-8th.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 06:50 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
This teams looks like the rangers of old, a bunch of good ufa's put together, who knows how this will end up

Ill reserve judgment until training camp is over
The difference between us and the Rangers is in the past they would just throw the most money at all the top free agents and hope it would gel. It appears Gainey went for character guys and even guys who already have chemistry i.e Gomez/Gionta, Gorges/Moen.

It is still a mystery how these guys will work together but I just don't see them being like the Rangers a few years ago.

Last edited by 11Goat11: 09-12-2009 at 08:30 PM.
11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Jigger77

Depends on two key players in my opinion. They are my only two question marks going in.

Scott Gomez
Carey Price

If they play up to their potential, we'll be more than fine. If they stink up the joint. We're in trouble.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:02 PM
C4KOMI

Only if Carey doesnt choke
but with martin he should give up
less goals.
8th place.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote