HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Recommendations on the most practical way for me to watch the jackets this year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-12-2009, 01:14 AM
  #1
double shift filatov*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Recommendations on the most practical way for me to watch the jackets this year?

Hi guys! I don't have cable, and as an apartment dweller Dish and Direct TV are out. The only reason I'd get cable is to then get the Center Ice Package. At $60 a month through Time Warner just for cable, I'm having trouble justifying all these purchases just for the Jackets. I looked into the online center ice package, but as you may know they blackout local games.


Anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the smartest way to go about checking out my Jackets this season? I'm in Akron fwiw.


Thanks!

double shift filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 01:43 AM
  #2
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,975
vCash: 500
Do you know someone out of state that can sign up for gamecenter for you?

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 01:50 AM
  #3
Robert
BOB
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,001
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by double shift filatov View Post
Hi guys! I don't have cable, and as an apartment dweller Dish and Direct TV are out. The only reason I'd get cable is to then get the Center Ice Package. At $60 a month through Time Warner just for cable, I'm having trouble justifying all these purchases just for the Jackets. I looked into the online center ice package, but as you may know they blackout local games.


Anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the smartest way to go about checking out my Jackets this season? I'm in Akron fwiw.


Thanks!

Welcome rookie, your post was not completely clear but it sounds like you are forced to use an antenna for TV... If that's the case, and you don't go to the games in the Arena, you will have to settle for the recaps in the newspaper the next day; unless the Jackets make the conference finals which will be on NBC.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:38 AM
  #4
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Sports bar with center ice? Seek a friend who has center ice and offer to pay a small fee to go over to his/her house to watch a game?

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 08:42 AM
  #5
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
You can get the basic cable that has Fox Sports and watch most of the games on there. No need for center ice. I think it should be less than the $60 you mentioned. the only downside is the CBJ will be second fiddle to the Cavs when they play on the same nights.

EDIT: Throough whom do you have your internet access? You may be able to bargain for a cheaper rate if you bundle your internet and your cable.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:16 AM
  #6
Happy Pony
Registered User
 
Happy Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
You can get the basic cable that has Fox Sports and watch most of the games on there. No need for center ice. I think it should be less than the $60 you mentioned. the only downside is the CBJ will be second fiddle to the Cavs when they play on the same nights.

EDIT: Throough whom do you have your internet access? You may be able to bargain for a cheaper rate if you bundle your internet and your cable.
Or call and just make some **** up. Say Dish/Directv or WOW or whoever has offered you a great deal but you'd like to go with the company you have internet through because you've enjoyed your service. They'll most likely try to make a deal.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:27 AM
  #7
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,048
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
If you don't mind paying for something legally dubious, there's always hockeystreams.com - a few folks here (*cough*cough*skraut*cough*) who got tired of trying to see Jackets games instead of Cavs games are looking into it. I've used it for the past year (mostly to pick up non-Jackets games) and it's reasonably decent, and zero blackouts.

Cons are that there are occasional mishaps in setting up the stream (i.e. sometimes they forget to change the channel ) and, of course, it's paying good money for something that the NHL might not be too fond of.

Just a thought.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:08 AM
  #8
FlaggerX
Registered User
 
FlaggerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
You can get the basic cable that has Fox Sports and watch most of the games on there. No need for center ice. I think it should be less than the $60 you mentioned. the only downside is the CBJ will be second fiddle to the Cavs when they play on the same nights.

EDIT: Throough whom do you have your internet access? You may be able to bargain for a cheaper rate if you bundle your internet and your cable.
He's in Akron. They have FSN Ohio there but that network also handles local Cavs broadcast so whenever there's a conflict the Jackets lose. The only way to get all the Jackets games up there is Center Ice. Or a sports bar with multiple TVs. I'd do the latter, just plan to get food, try and bring a couple people and maybe even make friends. Another alternative might be to try and get together a a local Jackets group, though I really have no idea where you begin there.

But Good luck and hope tosee you at the game.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:20 AM
  #9
Feicht
Registered User
 
Feicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Country: Austria
Posts: 7,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I'd say just do hockeystreams.com. I'm probably going to do that again just so I don't have an anyeurism when basketball season starts.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:03 PM
  #10
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
He's in Akron. They have FSN Ohio there but that network also handles local Cavs broadcast so whenever there's a conflict the Jackets lose. The only way to get all the Jackets games up there is Center Ice. Or a sports bar with multiple TVs. I'd do the latter, just plan to get food, try and bring a couple people and maybe even make friends. Another alternative might be to try and get together a a local Jackets group, though I really have no idea where you begin there.

But Good luck and hope tosee you at the game.
Exactly, which is why I pointed out that CBJ will play second fiddle to the Cavs. He'll lose on nights when there is a conflict but should be able to watch otherwise. Now, I don't know how many conflicts there will be.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 03:56 PM
  #11
frickin dannie
 
frickin dannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to frickin dannie
http://atdhe.net/

Not a bad option, it's a little clunky but it's free. I watched some Coyotes games on it last season.

frickin dannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 05:33 PM
  #12
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners
 
Fred Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,981
vCash: 0
Either get Center Ice, its worth it, or move to Central Ohio and commute to Akron

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
  #13
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Either get Center Ice, its worth it, or move to Central Ohio and commute to Akron
He can't get Center Ice, Jackets games are Blacked out in NorthEast Ohio.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 05:49 PM
  #14
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners
 
Fred Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,981
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
He can't get Center Ice, Jackets games are Blacked out in NorthEast Ohio.
A poor attempt at humor, so forgive me.

Center Ice is the best bet for games, well worth the cash

If all else fails, try the computer, as the previous posts have given excellent web sites

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:07 PM
  #15
Feicht
Registered User
 
Feicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Country: Austria
Posts: 7,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickin dannie View Post
http://atdhe.net/

Not a bad option, it's a little clunky but it's free. I watched some Coyotes games on it last season.
It's really unreliable though, unfortunately. Also at some point they got slammed with a lawsuit or something and didn't have NHL games anymore (not sure if this is still the case, because I subscribed to hockeystreams.com after that).

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:40 PM
  #16
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 500
What century is this?!?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:46 PM
  #17
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
What century is this?!?
The century of digital rights management and media control.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:55 PM
  #18
frickin dannie
 
frickin dannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to frickin dannie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
It's really unreliable though, unfortunately. Also at some point they got slammed with a lawsuit or something and didn't have NHL games anymore (not sure if this is still the case, because I subscribed to hockeystreams.com after that).
Really? That sucks. I only watched the Yotes for half the season, once the only reason I watched got sent down I quit using the site, but it was nice to have.

frickin dannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 05:15 AM
  #19
double shift filatov*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Thanks guys. I called Time Warner just to clarify, and yep, 60 a month for their cheapest cable package. Yuck. I hate monopolies.

I've looked through all the online options pretty careful, and I don't know where I'm at yet.

Thanks again for all your practical advice. It'll probably be a game time decision where I get so excited for the puck to drop I go ahead and spend money I don't have and get TWC anyway.

double shift filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:06 AM
  #20
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Too bad you're in Akron. For $60/month you could be going to 6 games/month, on the Huntington green seats. Or the college rush deal.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:41 AM
  #21
double shift filatov*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
Too bad you're in Akron. For $60/month you could be going to 6 games/month, on the Huntington green seats. Or the college rush deal.
exactly dude. Hell, 2.5 hours each way, it still might be cheaper.

double shift filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 05:38 AM
  #22
Friedrich
This is not my hat.
 
Friedrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salzburg
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,767
vCash: 500
sixty bucks doesn't seem right. If it's digial cable they are trying to sell, there are packages below that like the basic package that includes like sixty channels including FSO. For sixty bucks you might just want to get a subscription on hockeystreams.com, because unlike Columbus, in Akron Cavs games are higher on the local programming hierarchy and will play over CBJ games, so there you'll only be able to see about half of the seventy-five aired games that are aired in the Columbus area. Cincinnati is in a similiar situation, I hear.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 05:04 PM
  #23
frickin dannie
 
frickin dannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to frickin dannie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
sixty bucks doesn't seem right. If it's digial cable they are trying to sell, there are packages below that like the basic package that includes like sixty channels including FSO. For sixty bucks you might just want to get a subscription on hockeystreams.com, because unlike Columbus, in Akron Cavs games are higher on the local programming hierarchy and will play over CBJ games, so there you'll only be able to see about half of the seventy-five aired games that are aired in the Columbus area. Cincinnati is in a similiar situation, I hear.
Cincinnati gets almost all of them until April, when the Reds start, then they get bumped to some weird unused channel. Except for like one time I think there was some kind of college basketball tourney on that bumped them in Cincy.

frickin dannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:51 AM
  #24
Porkopolis
Registered User
 
Porkopolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickin dannie View Post
Cincinnati gets almost all of them until April, when the Reds start, then they get bumped to some weird unused channel. Except for like one time I think there was some kind of college basketball tourney on that bumped them in Cincy.
Even then, I was able to get them on yet another weird, unused channel.

$60 seems really high. Here in Cincinnati I am paying a combined total of $104 for premium-level broadband and the highest level of digital HD package (with no movie channels) and the sports package. And it is guaranteed for two years. Of course, when I lived in Cleveland we payed an obscene amount for Adelphia and lived where we couldn't get a LOS for a dish. Then they continued to autobill us even after we cancelled via every possible method. Geesh. I feel your pain.

Porkopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 11:32 PM
  #25
double shift filatov*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkopolis View Post
Even then, I was able to get them on yet another weird, unused channel.

$60 seems really high. Here in Cincinnati I am paying a combined total of $104 for premium-level broadband and the highest level of digital HD package (with no movie channels) and the sports package. And it is guaranteed for two years. Of course, when I lived in Cleveland we payed an obscene amount for Adelphia and lived where we couldn't get a LOS for a dish. Then they continued to autobill us even after we cancelled via every possible method. Geesh. I feel your pain.
Yep. I guess 2 hour wait times to speak to half-literate non-english speakers and fees doubling dish is a captured market for virtually all apartment dwellers who can't get a dish. Monopolies really are gross.

To clarify, there is an 18 a month bare bones package that gets like 14 channels, but 60 a month plus tax is the price for digital. Unfortunately, you have to have digital in order to be able to order the NHL Center Ice Package. I called last night just to clarify. Sucks.

double shift filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.