HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nick Holden Signs With Jackets

Old
03-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Nick Holden Signs With Jackets

Chilliwack BC – The Chilliwack Bruins are pleased to announce that Bruins Captain Nick Holden has signed a three year entry level contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets of the National Hockey League. Holden, 20, has just completed his second season in the WHL, both with the Bruins and graduates from the Chilliwack Bruins as the franchise leader in goals, assists, points and games played by a Bruins defenseman. This season, Holden scored a WHL high 22 goals and 38 assists for 60 points.

‘The Bruins franchise is proud of Nick and we wish him all the best as he pursues his career in the NHL,’ comments Bruins GM Darrell May. ‘Nick came to us last season and since then has shown steady improvement. His accomplishments during his time here in Chilliwack are due to his hard work and dedication to the club.’

Nick Holden: ‘I am excited and thrilled to be able to pursue my dream of a career in the NHL. This could never have been possible without the support of the Chilliwack Bruins and the one on one support I received from Bruins Assistant Coach Dan Price. I would like to thank the Chilliwack Bruins and our great fans for the opportunity to spend two wonderful years in Chilliwack and to also have the honour of being the Bruins Captain this past season. Had I not come to the WHL and the Bruins, I find it very unlikely that I would have the opportunity presented to me as I do today with Columbus.’

Holden will report to the Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League next week.

From http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=9180

Great player...should be a tremendous pickup for the Jackets; had an article on him not too long ago on another site wondering if he'd be signed soon.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Hugg

Not gonna pretend I know anything about him, but he has solid size (6'3", 200) and apparently strong offensive skills. I'm intrigued.

How is he in his own zone?

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Awesome, I knew Howson would get us our guy.... Look out now Detroit and Nashville-the Jackets are coming.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 12:16 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjwheel View Post
Robert being positive? Nah.
Seriously, I don't want to hear any whining about people not being positive at this point. .500 hockey is not acceptable. We aren't an "expansion" team any more.

Back on topic, Holden appears to have been a target of many NHL teams including the Stanley Cup Champs. I question some of Burke's moves, but he's a very good judge of defensive talent. Sounds like this may be one of those little moves that pays dividends in the long run, and its a feather in our cap that we beat out so many teams to get this kid.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...f-cc171c2bd94f

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post

Not gonna pretend I know anything about him, but he has solid size (6'3", 200) and apparently strong offensive skills. I'm intrigued.
This is not "in any way shape or form" a major signing............

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...043052008.html

Holden is kicking butt on his team - he is a defenseman who is 52 points ahead of the closest defenseman on the team - but it is a "very minor" league team... At 20 years old, he is a man among children - some on the team are 17 years old.......

He is almost guaranteed to be a decent Syracuse player - with a long shot possibility of being an NHL player.

No reason to be disappointed - no reason to be excited - it is an entry level contract that costs almost nothing..........

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 02:35 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Good job for Howson. I know that the Avs and Leafs were gunning hard for him.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Good job for Howson. I know that the Avs and Leafs were gunning hard for him.
I love your screen name. Yours and blahblah's comprise 90% of my passwords, file names, and subject titles.

Note: not on this board. Don't bother trying.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

This looks like an excellent signing. There were at least 10 teams interested in this guy. I don't care which GM you are, you are always looking for diamonds in the rough, and that is exactly what this guy represents. If he makes it to the big club some day, it was a hell of a find. If not, he adds depth to the organization and we didn't give up anything to get him.

Howson did fine with this, so why bash hm.

I guess for some people on this board bashing Howson now is the trendy thing to do.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Macster

Anyway, back on topic.

This is a great signing by Howson. I always like to see the college and junior free agents get scooped up at the end of their respective seasons. Holden is one of, if not the top undrafted free agent defenseman coming out of the Dub.

I love the Bruins, they are an exciting team with Moller and Santorelli.

You can see that Howson is working towards improving the organizational defensive depth. I treat this signing as basically an early third to fourth round pick.

He's got leadership and obviously offensive talent. His combination of those things, along with size and the fact he'll play the body make him a complete player, not high end talent, but he has all of the tools.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
To the five or six people who are constantly turning every thread into a Howson debate...

Knock it off. I dont know whats causing these problems (alcohol), but its mighty annoying.

03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Anyway, back on topic.

This is a great signing by Howson. I always like to see the college and junior free agents get scooped up at the end of their respective seasons. Holden is one of, if not the top undrafted free agent defenseman coming out of the Dub.

I love the Bruins, they are an exciting team with Moller and Santorelli.

You can see that Howson is working towards improving the organizational defensive depth. I treat this signing as basically an early third to fourth round pick.

He's got leadership and obviously offensive talent. His combination of those things, along with size and the fact he'll play the body make him a complete player, not high end talent, but he has all of the tools.
We have about 20 different candidates for future 5-6 defensemen... if a couple of them can bud a little higher and a few can be packaged in a trade then we are in good shape.

I never would have thought that at the beginning of the year we could afford to trade Russell or Methot the way things presently stand we could probably move both(I wouldn't condone moving Russell) .

CBJSlash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
We have about 20 different candidates for future 5-6 defensemen... if a couple of them can bud a little higher and a few can be packaged in a trade then we are in good shape.

I never would have thought that at the beginning of the year we could afford to trade Russell or Methot the way things presently stand we could probably move both(I wouldn't condone moving Russell) .
I still think we have a way to go before we can talk about trading Russell and/or Methot. Howson is definitely improving the defensive depth, but Russ and Methot are legitimate NHLers. Wilson and Rome are playing well, but they need to do it consistently. (I'm not saying they haven't, I'm saying it's too early to judge)

Acquring Teddy Ruth and now Holden are both great moves, and they lessen the need to load up on blueliners at the upcoming draft. If I were to rank every blueline with us right now it would look like:

Hainsey
Klesla
Hejda
Russell

Tarnstrom
Rome
Wilson
Tollefsen
Methot

Westcott
Holden
Weber
Ruth
Wright
Clitsome
Dudas
Wharton

Kosmachev
Smith
Landry

Hendrikx
Page
Frechette

Not enough depth or quality IMO to move Russ and/or Methot. We need to add guys to the top 2 groups I have there.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Good call, Mac. I agree with your depth analysis, and stated need for adding a few more top tier D men. SH needs to grab a couple bonafide guys via trade or FA. I think he is heading in the right direction with the organizational depth, but needs to add some impact guys now.

I think he really pulled off a coup getting Rome and Wilson. having watched Wilson the last couple of games, this kid really looks like a bigger version of Russell. I think Anaheim's top tier NHL defense really helped us land a couple of quality prospects from that organization. Hopefully these two will only get better as time goes on.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:53 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I still think we have a way to go before we can talk about trading Russell and/or Methot. Howson is definitely improving the defensive depth, but Russ and Methot are legitimate NHLers. Wilson and Rome are playing well, but they need to do it consistently. (I'm not saying they haven't, I'm saying it's too early to judge)

Acquring Teddy Ruth and now Holden are both great moves, and they lessen the need to load up on blueliners at the upcoming draft. If I were to rank every blueline with us right now it would look like:

Hainsey
Klesla
Hejda
Russell

Tarnstrom
Rome
Wilson
Tollefsen
Methot

Westcott
Holden
Weber
Ruth
Wright
Clitsome
Dudas
Wharton

Kosmachev
Smith
Landry

Hendrikx
Page
Frechette

Not enough depth or quality IMO to move Russ and/or Methot. We need to add guys to the top 2 groups I have there.
I still wouldn't mind seeing us get Cody Goloubef, Shawn Lalonde, or maybe Steven Delisle outside of the first round. Lalonde in particular could be a steal in the second or third round.

Old
03-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
This is not "in any way shape or form" a major signing............

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...043052008.html

Holden is kicking butt on his team - he is a defenseman who is 52 points ahead of the closest defenseman on the team - but it is a "very minor" league team... At 20 years old, he is a man among children - some on the team are 17 years old.......

He is almost guaranteed to be a decent Syracuse player - with a long shot possibility of being an NHL player.

No reason to be disappointed - no reason to be excited - it is an entry level contract that costs almost nothing..........
As a fan who is in a WHL city and sees WHL games, don't even bother looking at the fact that Holden is 20. There are 16 year olds in this league who compete night in and night out right up head to head with some of the best 20 year old hockey players in the world. Holden posted VERY good numbers in a defensive league on a not-so-good Chilliwack team and captained them to their 2nd playoff birth in franchise history. The guy can play. He's not a top-notch prospect by any means, but he deserves to be mentioned along with alot of other Blue Jacket D-prospects...or lack thereof.

He's at least on the same echelon as Ben Wright...if not even higher up.

Old
03-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

See also that this was only Holden's 2nd year in the 'dub...maybe he was just a late developer.

I've seen him play though, and as a Jacket fan I'm fairly excited that they signed him. He'll be interesting to watch in the pros next year.

Old
03-29-2008, 08:10 PM
JACKETS! on the PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
See also that this was only Holden's 2nd year in the 'dub...maybe he was just a late developer.

I've seen him play though, and as a Jacket fan I'm fairly excited that they signed him. He'll be interesting to watch in the pros next year.
Thanks for all the info. Will follow his progress next season.

JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 12:02 AM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Seriously, I don't want to hear any whining about people not being positive at this point. .500 hockey is not acceptable. We aren't an "expansion" team any more.

Back on topic, Holden appears to have been a target of many NHL teams including the Stanley Cup Champs. I question some of Burke's moves, but he's a very good judge of defensive talent. Sounds like this may be one of those little moves that pays dividends in the long run, and its a feather in our cap that we beat out so many teams to get this kid.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...f-cc171c2bd94f
I think the article this link goes to holds the key as to why the Jackets got this kid despite the interest from so many other teams. He went to the Oilers training camp last year. Looks like maybe he and Howson made an impresion on one another.

The Dancin' Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 11:41 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dancin' Beaver View Post
I think the article this link goes to holds the key as to why the Jackets got this kid despite the interest from so many other teams. He went to the Oilers training camp last year. Looks like maybe he and Howson made an impresion on one another.
According to the Dispatch this morning, he came to us because of our lack of defensive prospects. Oh well, glad to have someone to help improve that situation.

Old
09-16-2009, 02:08 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Anyone know what kind of impression he's making on coaching/mgmt thus so far in camp?

JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
He's been out with mono, should be back sometime next week.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote