HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2009 New York Islanders Training Camp Thread

Old
09-16-2009, 11:42 AM
GilliesGirlie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Botta is reporting that Nielsen is on the way back to NY to get his knee examined. And so it begins.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...atiestrangnyi/
Yea, I saw that. Although, I won't go to newsday to read it that site gives me a headache.

I hope he is okay.

Old
09-16-2009, 12:04 PM
BennyBST

Katie has posted the Lineups for tonight, including JT.

Quote:
Here's the lineup for tonight's (Wednesday) game against the Oiler. YES, it includes John Tavares

Forwards: Doug Weight, John Tavares, Sean Bergenheim, Joel Rechlicz, Casey Cizikas, Justin DiBenedetto, Nate Thompson, Tyler Haskins, Robin Figren, Richard Park, Jon Sim, Jesse Joensuu.

Defensemen: Andy Sutton, Dustin Kohn, Calvin de Haan, Bruno Gervais, Freddy Meyer, Travis Hamonic

Goalies: Nathan Lawson, Mikko Koskinen

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:15 PM
justdewit*

Found this site to get great info on the Islanders training camp.. http://www.msg.com/islanders/ they have some pretty cool interviews on there..

justdewit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Looks like De Haan and Hamonic will be pairing tonight. Meyer with Sutton and Gervais with Kohn

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Looks like De Haan and Hamonic will be pairing tonight.

Pairing of the future

and let's not forget Ness/Fowler

maybe come june for the 2nd pair....

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Soupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
Pairing of the future

and let's not forget Ness/Fowler

maybe come june for the 2nd pair....

Hows Matt Martin doing? We sure miss him in Sarnia! Same goes for Mark Katic! I think Katic was the best all around skater in the OHL. And I saw Dibo played last night. how did he look?

Soupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 05:22 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Hows Matt Martin doing? We sure miss him in Sarnia! Same goes for Mark Katic! I think Katic was the best all around skater in the OHL. And I saw Dibo played last night. how did he look?
DiBenedetto played nicely. He really uses his size very well.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Renbarg

Katie Strang is reporting that Cizikas and Hamonic are the first two cuts of camp.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Forty Six and Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Katie Strang is reporting that Cizikas and Hamonic are the first two cuts of camp.
Here is the link

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/...camp-1.1459669

Forty Six and Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Soupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Six and Two View Post
I see Marty had a pair of goals last night.....I know I know I know..1 was an empty net but.. Atta boy Marty. Good luck this season man. We miss u here in Sarnia. How's Kat's and Dibo doin? Wow what a line up. Almost a reunion of the Sting a year ago. Maybe Stammer can play there sometime and u guys can show New york what we saw for 2 years here in Sarnia. Good luck boys!

Soupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:53 AM
CREW99AW

I'm glad to read that Okposo is feeling better.The isles are gonna take it slow with his return.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...sEnabled=false

Okposo, who was carted off the ice on a stretcher after a brutal open-ice hit from Flames defenseman Dion Phaneuf, said he is essentially symptom-free but likely will rest for a few more days before attempting any type of light activity.

Okposo said he does not remember the hit; the first memory he has after the incident is staring at the ceiling while being carted off the ice. He has seen the replay but did not want to discuss whether he thinks the hit was clean.

"I don't want to get into whether it was dirty or not,'' Okposo said. "It's part of the game and it's an unfortunate situation.''

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:57 PM
CREW99AW

Newsday with an update.The isles are sending Okposo back to LI, to be looked at by doctors.

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/...back-1.1463384

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Newsday with an update.The isles are sending Okposo back to LI, to be looked at by doctors.

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/...back-1.1463384
This is sorta good news, no? I mean if the Isles feel comfortable enough to put him on a plane less than a couple days since the concussion they probably think its not as serious.

Or is the concussion and plane thing only apply for the immediate moments after the concussion?

Old
09-20-2009, 05:42 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I really don't know what to make of it, but it seems as though the Isles can never catch a break. Before turning this into a 'woe-is-NYI' diatribe, b/c trust me I wouldn't mind doing that, I can only think of one instance where the Isles caught a break over the past, idk, decade of my fandom maybe (lol); and that was with the ping pong balls in April.

KO is one of the more important pieces in this rebuild, and to have that piece potentially handicapped (given the nature of concussions), just kind of feeds the 'can't-catch-a-break' notion. It could of been like a Blake Comeau, or a Richard Park, who mind you are useful Islanders, or better yet, it could have been no one.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
This is sorta good news, no? I mean if the Isles feel comfortable enough to put him on a plane less than a couple days since the concussion they probably think its not as serious.

Or is the concussion and plane thing only apply for the immediate moments after the concussion?
He flew to Saskatoon about four hours after the hit happened.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Whats the status of Jesse Joensuu? Lock to make the team or is he not playing well enough to earn a spot...

Also, Matt Moulson...my friend seems to think that there is no chance of him becoming a decent NHL player, although hes been scoring in pre-season.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:54 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
I really don't know what to make of it, but it seems as though the Isles can never catch a break. Before turning this into a 'woe-is-NYI' diatribe, b/c trust me I wouldn't mind doing that, I can only think of one instance where the Isles caught a break over the past, idk, decade of my fandom maybe (lol); and that was with the ping pong balls in April.

KO is one of the more important pieces in this rebuild, and to have that piece potentially handicapped (given the nature of concussions), just kind of feeds the 'can't-catch-a-break' notion. It could of been like a Blake Comeau, or a Richard Park, who mind you are useful Islanders, or better yet, it could have been no one.
you said it!

I hope it's nothing but a mild concussion that many players have had and little else happens. Tough to think positive given the recent (two decades) history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Whats the status of Jesse Joensuu? Lock to make the team or is he not playing well enough to earn a spot...

Also, Matt Moulson...my friend seems to think that there is no chance of him becoming a decent NHL player, although hes been scoring in pre-season.
Haven't heard his name as much as I'd hoped. I suspect Joensuu will need more AHL seasoning, as will Martin.

Moulson? As the coach says, he's done everything he can in camp to earn a job - regardless of what your friend says. Moulson's older, his name sounds like beer, he's competing for a spot on the worst team in the NHL where even the marginal NHL talent is already injured in large numbers.

I'd say he has a solid chance at being on the roster for game one.

I'll agree with your friend that it's doubtful he'll be a top six forward for many years to come but who knows?!?!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Renbarg

Ya, Moulson seems like the prototypical career AHLer who gets a cup of coffee here and there but is never quite good enough to produce at the NHL level like they do in the A.

Old
09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
blackmesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post

Making the playoffs 2 years ago was us catching a break as well. But as they say... you make your own luck.

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
justdewit*

Sneak peek to the Islanders Season Preview.. http://video.msg.com/Videos/MSG-Netw...iuRk0uti3E6Ypf
Judging from these interviews it looks like its going to be a great season.

justdewit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:49 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

The New York Islanders have assigned 2008 NHL Entry Draft selections, Kevin Poulin and Jyri Niemi back to their junior clubs. Goaltender Mikko Koskinen and forward Robin Figren have been assigned to the organization’s American Hockey League affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/news/127137

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Isles Junkie

Sorry if it's been asked. but why don't the Isles just hold their training camps at NVMC & Ice Works? Why are they always in smaller Canadian towns?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Sorry if it's been asked. but why don't the Isles just hold their training camps at NVMC & Ice Works? Why are they always in smaller Canadian towns?
Probably money.

Plus some coaches/gms/owners think its good to go away for a couple of weeks to gel.

Old
09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Talked to a few guys after the game tonight. Haley, Kohn, Mauldin and Martin are heading to Bridgeport. De Haan and Trevor Smith are staying up.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 12:33 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Any update on KO? For a "mild concussion," they sure are quiet about it.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote