HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2009-10 Lake Erie Monsters Thread

Old
10-31-2009, 12:17 AM
NHL33*

vCash: 500
Thank you, sir. Much appreciated. Hats off.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Frank Booth

The third Peoria goal by Junland on the power play at the end of the second period was because Cann was way too far back in his goal and he did not even react to it until after the light was on. Terrible goal. Inexcusable. I go to every home game and sit behind the net. He was ok, but made a few bad mistakes. He was good in the shootout, though.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 10:24 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
At your service...

Cann was a stud tonight. Man, he was great. His positioning is very solid. I can say the same for his rebound control. Very, very good. He's the reason LEM had a chance to get back in the game.

McNicholl looked awesome tonight. In fact, in two of the three games I've gone to, the Mercier-McNicholl-Bradford line has been their best line. CMac had a dandy goal with a toe drag around the defenseman and a roof job short side. Followed it up with a tricky little move in the shootout going forehand, backhand in a phone booth. It was sweet.

Stoa has a ways to go, quite honestly. That said, I think he's the closest to making an impact at the NHL level. He needs to learn how to use his wide body at the next level. He's strong on the puck carrying into the zone, but not on the cycle down low. In terms of raw skill, I haven't seen much. He works pretty hard, but he just needs to use his body more effectively.

Fritsche hasn't played much. He looked really weak on the puck tonight. He seems really gunshy about the proposition of getting another concussion. He shies away from the corners and avoids as many hits as he can on the dump. He also looked really slow today trying to go wide on a defenseman. I'm just not sure that his mindset is right.

Mercier has been quietly solid. He plays a pretty good two-way game. Haven't seen much in the way of skill thus far, but as I said above, his lines with CMac and Bradford has been their go-to line. Tonight when they got down 2-0, Quinn sent them out immediately and they put together a very solid shift.

If there's any other guys you want reports on, let me know. I generally take in 2 or 3 games a month.

In terms of improvement, consistency still kills this team. Their defensive zone coverage is pretty lax and the goaltending has bailed them out on several occasions. Up front, they just play uninspired sometimes. I think Quinn lit a fire under their ass after the first tonight because they were a bat out of hell in the first half of the second.

As for projections, I don't think you'll find many top two line guys on this team. Stoa probably has the best chance. McNicholl's got a great skill set, but size will be a factor down the road.

On defense, I wouldn't expect any help. I know you guys saw Peltier for a bit last year, but again, he's a bottom pair guy, as is the ceiling of most of these guys. Like I said a few weeks back, Ryan Wilson's your only real hope for help, and sure enough, he got called up the next day.

On the bright side, I think Trevor Cann, at worst, will be a very good backup goaltender. He has all of the intangibles and no glaring weaknesses that I noticed. None of the goals were his fault tonight. Two on the PP and the GTG was a really fluky play where the LEM defenseman pushed his guy into Cann while the puck bounced off said guy's shoulder. His angle play is good and he challenges shooters effectively. Like I said, love his rebound control. Also, he's not afraid to let his centermen win draws. He freezes a lot of pucks, which I like in a goaltender. It shows poise and control.

Again, I'll be in and out throughout the year for you guys.
I am disappointed with Stoa's progress but we may find out that he only did well in college because he was a man among boys. He needs some time to put it together and I also think he needs a skilled setup man. Doesn't seem to be an abundance of those on the farm. Hopefully you guys can get Wilson back and have him be a feature on your D.

Thanks for the reports. I am always interested in any comments you can make of player development.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
The third Peoria goal by Junland on the power play at the end of the second period was because Cann was way too far back in his goal and he did not even react to it until after the light was on. Terrible goal. Inexcusable. I go to every home game and sit behind the net. He was ok, but made a few bad mistakes. He was good in the shootout, though.
He just didn't expect the shot. Peoria didn't shoot much on the PP, they were more concerned with passing it around and looking for the one-timer.

Gotta give Junland credit, though. He picked the inside of the post with not much room to shoot at.

I was behind the net on the attack twice side, but I was very impressed with the period I saw up close with Cann. Love his positioning, his challenging of shooters, and rebound control. He has all the makings of a solid NHL goaltender. Maybe a tandem starter, not a Vezina guy.

Skating Tripods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Frank Booth

Quote:
He just didn't expect the shot. Peoria didn't shoot much on the PP, they were more concerned with passing it around and looking for the one-timer.

Gotta give Junland credit, though. He picked the inside of the post with not much room to shoot at.

I was behind the net on the attack twice side, but I was very impressed with the period I saw up close with Cann. Love his positioning, his challenging of shooters, and rebound control. He has all the makings of a solid NHL goaltender. Maybe a tandem starter, not a Vezina guy.
Please. I was 20 feet from him on that goal in the second period, and he was clearly at fault. If a goalie doesn't expect a shot when the other team is on the power play, then he shouldn't be a goalie, he should be a car salesman.

Old
10-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Shinnster

Hes a 20 yearold goalie playing in his first pro year. If I had told you 8 years ago that Craig Anderson would be a starter in the NHL one day, people would have called me crazy.

Goalies are more fickle than any other players to develop. Cann's among the top 20 year olds just breaking into the league this year in stats. Id say thats a heck of a lot better than being down at the bottom where some of the other 20 year olds are. He still has learning to do, but at least hes showing he can play in this league.
His play has already grown leaps and bounds in 4 games, will be interesting to see where his development is in 2-3 years from now.

Shinnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Frank Booth

I didn't say he's a bad goalie at all. I said he played a good game, but far from great, and he was clearly at fault on one of the goals he gave up Friday. But that's part of the maturing process and that's why he's in the AHL. Every goalie gives up his fair share of bad goals. It's how many they give up and how they respond to those that matter. But to defend a bad goal by saying that he didn't expect a shot from a guy on the PP five feet away is insulting.

Old
11-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Shinnster

This is true, I misunderstood your post from earlier, my bad

Old
11-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Frank Booth

http://www.cleveland.com/monsters/in..._coach_qu.html
Injuries have even sidelined the head coach.

Old
11-08-2009, 06:57 PM
NWAvsFan

Uhh, yeah.

Watched the lowlights of the LEM game today and it was not pretty. Cann got roughed up pretty bad allowing 7 goals. He should sue his defensemen for lack of support though. Reminds me of some of Kangas' worse games of the year last year. Cann's positioning was suspect and he left some fat rebounds but man LE's defense was brutal. They were skating past their checks and letting guys just camp behind them. Not a recipe for success. Stoa did look like he was coming around offensively and McNichol looked OK as well. I would have asked for a refund if I bought tickets to the game though.

BTW - If the DeadThings are hoping McCollum is the future they are hurting. This kid has been talked up a lot but he looked just as bad as Cann to me.

Old
11-08-2009, 11:26 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Watched the lowlights of the LEM game today and it was not pretty. Cann got roughed up pretty bad allowing 7 goals. He should sue his defensemen for lack of support though. Reminds me of some of Kangas' worse games of the year last year. Cann's positioning was suspect and he left some fat rebounds but man LE's defense was brutal. They were skating past their checks and letting guys just camp behind them. Not a recipe for success. Stoa did look like he was coming around offensively and McNichol looked OK as well. I would have asked for a refund if I bought tickets to the game though.

BTW - If the DeadThings are hoping McCollum is the future they are hurting. This kid has been talked up a lot but he looked just as bad as Cann to me.
Did Preissing play? How did he look?

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:10 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I started to fast forward through the game after the second period so I can't comment so much on the non-scoring plays after that. He looked reasonably good on the PP from what I saw but did not jump out at any time like a man among boys. That tells me he has some work to do on his recovery. I don't really know what the strengths of his game are so I didn't know what to watch. Fahey actually stood out the most from my point of view. Defensively everyone was atrocious though so my comments only go for the offensive part of the game.

Old
11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Shinnster

Quote:

I watched the game online yesterday, and I think thats the first time I can honestly say in a 7-6 games that both goalies played well. Both goalies made some nice saves. None of the goals were very weak, it was just such a poor defensive showing from both teams leaving their goalies hung out to dry.

I think both goalies have a very bright future. Both have played under 10 games in the A and already look like they belong. GRs winning goal summed up the whole game for LE, and the game for both goalies I thought.

Old
11-09-2009, 12:27 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnster View Post
I watched the game online yesterday, and I think thats the first time I can honestly say in a 7-6 games that both goalies played well. Both goalies made some nice saves. None of the goals were very weak, it was just such a poor defensive showing from both teams leaving their goalies hung out to dry.

I think both goalies have a very bright future. Both have played under 10 games in the A and already look like they belong. GRs winning goal summed up the whole game for LE, and the game for both goalies I thought.
Boy, I just don't know about that. I agree that the defence was brutal but if a goalie is on his angles he should not get scored on this much. Cann was way too aggressive on the play where the Griffins player reached behind him and tapped it in. I remember watching at least one other play (I think a screened shot) and thinking he probably should have been in position to save that. His rebound control was bad as well. If he had some defense it was probably only 4 GAA but to say he played "well" is generous IMO. I wouldn't make any career implications from a game like this or at least not for Cann. I watched McCollum at the WJC though and with those two samples will say that he does not appear to have the talent projected on him.

Old
11-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Shinnster

Quote:
Boy, I just don't know about that. I agree that the defence was brutal but if a goalie is on his angles he should not get scored on this much. Cann was way too aggressive on the play where the Griffins player reached behind him and tapped it in. I remember watching at least one other play (I think a screened shot) and thinking he probably should have been in position to save that. His rebound control was bad as well. If he had some defense it was probably only 4 GAA but to say he played "well" is generous IMO. I wouldn't make any career implications from a game like this or at least not for Cann. I watched McCollum at the WJC though and with those two samples will say that he does not appear to have the talent projected on him.
I think for Cann and McCollum, their angles and rebound control were clearly the most apparent things that they both need to work on, and those are really the only two things that change when a new level is reached. Although I do agree its far too early to make any definite predictions about either goalies future.

PS dont pay attention to HF rankings, they dont really mean anything, youd get a better projection by randomly picking numbers out of a hat.

Making the jump from Junior to the AHL for a goalie is difficult, the speed of the game will affect the angles, and the difficulty of the shots also attribute to rebound control. I thought for two 20 year old kids, neither looked out of place, and as they get a few years of AHL experience on them, they both are showing potential early to be good. Neither was getting beat by straight, unscreened shots.

Old
11-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I was at Friday's game and thought Preissing was the worst player on the ice. He just wasn't in the flow of the game, which is understandable. I didn't expect him to play well, but it was his decision making that really scared me. Terrible giveaways in his own zone, bad decisions with the puck in the offensive zone, floating in the neutral zone.

From a skating standpoint, didn't seem like he was laboring at all.

Skating Tripods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 03:40 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
I was at Friday's game and thought Preissing was the worst player on the ice. He just wasn't in the flow of the game, which is understandable. I didn't expect him to play well, but it was his decision making that really scared me. Terrible giveaways in his own zone, bad decisions with the puck in the offensive zone, floating in the neutral zone.

Great, he should fit right in then with our defence.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Frank Booth

Cann was average, he saw a lot of shots, far too many. Positioning, and his reaction to the goal at the beginning of the second period, are concerns. As for McCollum, he played as he did during last year's WJC. He was the reason that the US, a team that should have at least medaled, finished fifth. If he would have saw the 40+ shots that Cann did, Lake Erie would have scored 12 goals. Maybe more.

Old
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM
jaydog

Quote:
Fahey actually stood out the most from my point of view. Defensively everyone was atrocious though so my comments only go for the offensive part of the game.
How can a guy be on the ice for 4 or 5 goals for and still be a minus 5? Literally, I understand how, but to be on the ice for that many goals either way is remarkable.

jaydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:

Sounds like the way he played in LA

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:17 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
2-1 loss today in a shootout on the road against Grand Rapids. Trevor Cann stopped 34 of 35 shots, and then 4 of 5 shooters in the shootout. Brock Bradford with the goal for the Monsters.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 05:04 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog View Post
How can a guy be on the ice for 4 or 5 goals for and still be a minus 5? Literally, I understand how, but to be on the ice for that many goals either way is remarkable.
He seemed to be on the ice a lot and as a you will not mistake him for a defensive dman. I doubt he gets more that a possible sniff at the NHL level but looked good against AHL competition in this game.

Old
11-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1000
I'm watching this Monsters/Marlies game, but I don't know how long I can last. The Monsters (or whoever their media affiliate is) seem to be doing all they can to make it unwatchable. They constantly interrupt the actual game to insert really bad pep graphics that take up the entire screen, or cut to replays while the puck is still in play. I don't understand it. The game footage itself is pretty good, with a radio PBP guy doing double-duty. Why they feel the need to crap all over the game with their cheap, amateur graphics is beyond me. It is downright embarrassing to see. I realize that your average AHL team doesn't have the funds to put together a really slick broadcast, but they shouldn't try to make up for that with 4th-rate work. Just stick to the damn game. I can't even imagine kids being interested in the lousy, superimposed graphics urging them to cheer louder.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I'm watching this Monsters/Marlies game, but I don't know how long I can last. The Monsters (or whoever their media affiliate is) seem to be doing all they can to make it unwatchable. They constantly interrupt the actual game to insert really bad pep graphics that take up the entire screen, or cut to replays while the puck is still in play. I don't understand it. The game footage itself is pretty good, with a radio PBP guy doing double-duty. Why they feel the need to crap all over the game with their cheap, amateur graphics is beyond me. It is downright embarrassing to see. I realize that your average AHL team doesn't have the funds to put together a really slick broadcast, but they shouldn't try to make up for that with 4th-rate work. Just stick to the damn game. I can't even imagine kids being interested in the lousy, superimposed graphics urging them to cheer louder.
The feed is taken directly from the jumbotron at the arena.

Old
11-20-2009, 08:21 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
The feed is taken directly from the jumbotron at the arena.
Even the LEM jumbotron is embarrassing. Seriously, some of those graphics are just..........ugh.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote