HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Heatley to SJ as per TSN

Old
09-12-2009, 11:25 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
WTF?! Spezza =< Gomez? Where do you see this? I would have never thought that. ever.
I wouldn't go so far, but it's closer than it may look. Spezza gets more points, but Gomez definitely is better defensively and driving puck possession.

Lemme put it this way: who'd you feel safe having on the PK?

(And it will interesting to see what happens with Spezza minus Heatley and Gomez plus Cammaleri).

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Kirk Muller

While Ottawa loses the best player, Michalek maybe a player who makes the overall team better.

A 25 goal, 60 point player whose excellent defensively that plays the PP and PK. Also, remember he is only 24 yet to enter his prime.

Considering the situation and the distraction that was Heatley, getting a first liner like Michalek back isn't that bad.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHab View Post
Looking at the deal Ottawa gets rid of a distraction and adds two very young talented players. Michalek gives roughly 60 points a year and Cheechoo can be a steal if he turns around his game. He can replace Heatley's 40 goals easily. For the short term, San Jose benefits while in the future I think Ottawa wins the trade considering they also got a second round pick.

Now in my opinion, San Jose has 4 players that have cap hits of more than 6 million (Dan Boyle, Heatley, Thorton and Marleau) and still need to sign/add another 1-2 players to acheive the 22-23 player roster. The problem is they are already over the cap. Marleau is the next to be moved. Rumours bring him here. However, I am not sure Gainey wants to give the Kostityns brothers and Plekanec for him.
if by rumor you mean eklund and CHfans you can forget about it

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

still don't get your hopes up ,these rumour are kind of old and Gainey deny that he had talk with the sharks about Marleau. He said he was on vacation chillin in bermuda

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:27 AM
HockeyF3ind

If Cheecho can get 50 with Thorton imagine what Heater will get.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:45 AM
MaynardJames

I think Murray pulled a Rejean Houle in Ottawa since he's there. This is just his fault, you don't treat a guy like Heatley the way they did. He did nothing good for that franchise. I really have pity for Sen's fans.

MaynardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:03 AM
VenomZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
lol and heatley potted 50 WITH them....... and they got TO the cup finals and didnt win it, and now you think ...there better? lol come ON people, rejoice!

COUNT on 20 goals from all of them? maybe michalek, ok sure, MAYBE fisher, hes got to start playing well again, and cheechoo scored TWELVE goals last year in a POTENT SJ line up...

and did we forget about spezza and alfredsson? ...um...nope..i always expect 30 goals-ish 60+ assists from spezza, hes an amazing player, but a couple attitude problems, and alfredsson, always seems to have that amazing season, followed by so so season, then a great season again and then so so, ..guys 36 now too , he aint getting BETTER

ottawa is scary now? LOL!
Cheechoo only played 15 minutes a game last year, with only 2 minutes on the powerplay. For the last couple of years, SJ juggles the line every game so there is no chemistry. But whoever plays with Thornton gets the points. For the last few years Cheechoo and Thornton barely play together so that's why his production is so low.

If Ottawa bring him in, they're probably going to use him with Spezza. So don't be surprised if you see him being productive again.

VenomZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHab View Post
No I do not mean Eklund and CHfans CKAC has talked about it. RDS and TSN too and there were rumours of a possible three way deal.
Questioned about Marleau-to-Habs at the golf tournament, Gainey said explicitly that he is no longer a possibility - but he was on his "potential centers" list back in May-June before acquiring Gomez.

Gainey never lies.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 03:44 AM
marvelousmotion

Ottawa got their hands on a very good player in Milan Michalek. He's not going to replace Heatley's 50 goals and is not quite as dangerous offensively, but he's a far better teammate and more rounded player. He has not entered his prime yet and is already signed to a decent long-term contract.

The big question mark is Jonathan Cheechoo. He's worth taking a chance on IMO.. The Sens have nothing to lose. He always had good scoring instincts and a change of team might have been exactly what he needed.

Considering the market conditions, Ottawa got a pretty decent return in Michalek (the guy is a sure value) in exchange for a player who did not want to play for the team anymore.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:14 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd say an equivalent trade from the Habs stand-point would've been Gionta, Andrei and a 2nd for Heatley.

And that's probably better value than what SJ gave up.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Pascal

Michalek is a good player... the real question mark is how well Cheechoo will do with Spezza.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:50 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Michalek is a good player... the real question mark is how well Cheechoo will do with Spezza.
Well Thornton is better than Spezza, so chances are: not as good.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Scott Gomez says hi.

We gave up almost as much for Gomez as SJ did for Heatley.

Ottawa loses this deal big time.
Michalek + Cheechoo + 2nd round >>>>> Higgins and McDonagh

Not even close!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'd say an equivalent trade from the Habs stand-point would've been Gionta, Andrei and a 2nd for Heatley.

And that's probably better value than what SJ gave up.
Not really cause while Akost has the potential to score 60 points consistently, Milan Michalek already does do it plus brings an excellent all round game.

Frankly, not even close.

Old
09-13-2009, 11:43 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post
I think Murray pulled a Rejean Houle in Ottawa since he's there. This is just his fault, you don't treat a guy like Heatley the way they did. He did nothing good for that franchise. I really have pity for Sen's fans.
Ottawa did everything they could to accommodate Dany, firstly they accept him in a trade so he could get out of Atlanta, they give him the big contract with lots of dough that im sure Heatley wanted or he wouldn't have signed, and last year Heatley said he wanted to be more of a leader so they slap an 'A' on his jersey. How is this Ottawa fault or even Murrays????

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Not really cause while Akost has the potential to score 60 points consistently, Milan Michalek already does do it plus brings an excellent all round game.

Frankly, not even close.
I think it's close. Michalek is better defensively while A.Kost is better offensively.
Also, I think Michalek has reached his ceiling in terms of offensive potential. Not sure he'll crack the 30G and 70pts mark.

That being said, Michalek has become consistent while A.Kost just had a bad year. I think we misused him last year though. He was clearly more functional on any line outside Plekanec's. It's too bad Lang got injured, I think that really was the down point of our season.

Anyways, just wanted to say that Michalek is more rounded and has been somewhat consistent, but it's not as far a stretch you say it is.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:59 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I think Ottawa got hosed slightly, they should have gotten slightly more imo. Maybe a 1st instead of a 2nd and it would have been fair. I lol'd the way Murray said they "HAD" to take on Cheechoo, from a marketing perspective, he's a total idiot. He should spin it as he's a former Rocket Richard trophy winner and he's got potential to find his game with new scenary.

But if he's going to treat Cheechoo, like they HAD to take him on. Do they think Cheechoo is going to be motivated by being treated that way?

No wonder Heatley left, I would leave too if that is how management talks about its players.

However I think Ottawa is a better team than they were last year. They actually have depth. The only reason they have Kovalev is because the Heatley trade demand.

imo Kovalev, Michalek, Cheecho > Heatley (on a team with no depth).

However I am glad Heatley is out of the conference but this will make Ottawa a more balanced team to play against.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 09-14-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Merge
macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZeus View Post
Cheechoo only played 15 minutes a game last year, with only 2 minutes on the powerplay. For the last couple of years, SJ juggles the line every game so there is no chemistry. But whoever plays with Thornton gets the points. For the last few years Cheechoo and Thornton barely play together so that's why his production is so low.

If Ottawa bring him in, they're probably going to use him with Spezza. So don't be surprised if you see him being productive again.
SJ finished first in the league and you claim they had no chemistry??
You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Cheechoo was moved around a lot though, I'll give you that but that's because he was in a funk.
The season before he spent most of his time with Michalek and Thornton but only scored 23G 37Pts.

Old
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
However I think Ottawa is a better team than they were last year. They actually have depth. The only reason they have Kovalev is because the Heatley trade demand.

imo Kovalev, Michalek, Cheecho > Heatley (on a team with no depth).

However I am glad Heatley is out of the conference but this will make Ottawa a more balanced team to play against.
Both these players are question marks every year. They're inconsistent and you never know what to expect.
So I wouldn't be so quick to say it's better, even on a team with little depth.

Old
09-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Ottawa has more depth and definately a better goalie. Definately improved. And I beleive it's a good trade. I like Michalek a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Both these players are question marks every year. They're inconsistent and you never know what to expect.
So I wouldn't be so quick to say it's better, even on a team with little depth.
Well as inconsistent as they are, they are still better than consistent bad players. And we all know what "new starts" are doing to players usually. Not all the time but most of the time. Kovalev will want to make the Habs pay for not keeping him and if he's really interested in coming back, he'll have to have 2 very good seasons to do so. And we all, and he knows it too, what was said about Cheechoo's drop of production. He'll would to prove he still can play.

And at one point, even if their production is not what is suppose to be, in Kovalev you'll have a guy that will always be part of the opponent's plan, whenever he's on the ice, you'll always have your eyes on him, probalby opening some plays for others. And Cheechoo will bring speed and hard work, something that lacked in Ottawa. And Leclaire, well we'll see his worth real soon but I'll believe he'll be better than everything else they had in a long time.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 09-14-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Merge
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well as inconsistent as they are, they are still better than consistent bad players. And we all know what "new starts" are doing to players usually. Not all the time but most of the time. Kovalev will want to make the Habs pay for not keeping him and if he's really interested in coming back, he'll have to have 2 very good seasons to do so. And we all, and he knows it too, what was said about Cheechoo's drop of production. He'll would to prove he still can play.

And at one point, even if their production is not what is suppose to be, in Kovalev you'll have a guy that will always be part of the opponent's plan, whenever he's on the ice, you'll always have your eyes on him, probalby opening some plays for others. And Cheechoo will bring speed and hard work, something that lacked in Ottawa. And Leclaire, well we'll see his worth real soon but I'll believe he'll be better than everything else they had in a long time.
Yea, but Kovalev is getting older, slower and less effective. Like you said though, you can't leave him unattended as he can still be very dangerous.

Looking at it from a neutral point, I can say the trade isn't as bad as some people say. It does help their depth a bit.
That being said, if I was an Ottawa fan, I'd be pissed about it and want Murray out asap.

Old
09-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
I think it's close. Michalek is better defensively while A.Kost is better offensively.
Also, I think Michalek has reached his ceiling in terms of offensive potential. Not sure he'll crack the 30G and 70pts mark.

That being said, Michalek has become consistent while A.Kost just had a bad year. I think we misused him last year though. He was clearly more functional on any line outside Plekanec's. It's too bad Lang got injured, I think that really was the down point of our season.

Anyways, just wanted to say that Michalek is more rounded and has been somewhat consistent, but it's not as far a stretch you say it is.
Right now, i think it is.

3 straight years over 55 points to 1 53 point year by Akosts while being around the same age while Michalek has an exponentially better all round game.

Potentially akost will close the gap, as it stands now its not close.

Akost has prove himself a lot while Michalek has to plateau before its close. As it is, Kostitsyn is likely a 60-65 point player at his best and Michalek is already there so unless you see Akost as a 75-80 point player than the overall game will always clearly tilt it in favor of Michalek.

Old
09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
VenomZeus

Quote:
SJ finished first in the league and you claim they had no chemistry??
You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Cheechoo was moved around a lot though, I'll give you that but that's because he was in a funk.
The season before he spent most of his time with Michalek and Thornton but only scored 23G 37Pts.
I never said the team sucked. They did well every game, that's why they didn't care to build chemistry within the lineups. Every game they kept experimenting new lines. I said this never hurt Thornton but it obviously hurt other players' production who did not play with him.

VenomZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Right now, i think it is.

3 straight years over 55 points to 1 53 point year by Akosts while being around the same age while Michalek has an exponentially better all round game.

Potentially akost will close the gap, as it stands now its not close.

Akost has prove himself a lot while Michalek has to plateau before its close. As it is, Kostitsyn is likely a 60-65 point player at his best and Michalek is already there so unless you see Akost as a 75-80 point player than the overall game will always clearly tilt it in favor of Michalek.
Michalek is not as offensively gifted as A. kostitsyn. Kostitsyn is a 60 points player for NOW, but he will end up better than this. Maybe 70-80 at his peak.

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 10:21 AM
ReVeuF

Thornton + Heatley are a must have in all your hockey pools guys.

This duo will be dynamite.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote