HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

OT: Heatley Traded to San Jose

Old
09-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Machinae

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtRoss View Post
I believe this is an awesome trade for the Sens. This gives them two lines instead of that one Heater-Spezza-Alfredsson line.
They'll be able to rotate easier and not focus on 3 main guys.
Michalek could be a 30 goal scorer playing along with Spezza and Alfredsson.

Cheechoo was just part of the deal as a salary dump and will probably end up on the 3rd line in Ottawa.

I'm just glad Heatley's out of the division.
Uhh, what makes Spezza and Alfie better than Thornton and Marleau?

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 05:42 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtRoss View Post
I believe this is an awesome trade for the Sens. This gives them two lines instead of that one Heater-Spezza-Alfredsson line.
They'll be able to rotate easier and not focus on 3 main guys.
Michalek could be a 30 goal scorer playing along with Spezza and Alfredsson.

Cheechoo was just part of the deal as a salary dump and will probably end up on the 3rd line in Ottawa.

I'm just glad Heatley's out of the division.
Michalek could have become a 30 goal scorer in San Jose. He'll just be 25 this year, so he is still getting there, kinda like Grabovski was last year. (Age wise, Grabovski is years behind Michalek for NHL experience)

Really if Heatley had a cap friendly contract he'd brought in a much better return.

Senator may not win this short term, but it will do wonders for them long term.

If Cheechoo can back to a 25+ goal scorer they win this one, otherwise it's a wash team wise, but they lose an albatrose Campbell like contract. Campbell is two years older with a worse contract.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 05:52 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
Uhh, what makes Spezza and Alfie better than Thornton and Marleau?
Michalek hardly played with Thornton and Marleau last season. The #1 line in SJ was most often MARLEAU-THORNTON-SETOGUCHI. Plus hes only still 24 and he should continue to improve.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 05:58 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Michalek hardly played with Thornton and Marleau last season. The #1 line in SJ was most often MARLEAU-THORNTON-SETOGUCHI. Plus hes only still 24 and he should continue to improve.
He's been tried there a number of times over the past few years and hasn't really broke out. In 07-08 he was a regular linemate of JT and Cheechoo's. Michalek was basically glued to Thornton that year.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 06:02 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
He's been tried there a number of times over the past few years and hasn't really broke out. In 07-08 he was a regular linemate of JT and Cheechoo's. Michalek was basically glued to Thornton that year.
And he was 22/23 at the time. You're not saying that because he hasnt hit the 30 goal mark by the age of 24, that he wont be able to? He hasnt even hit his prime yet. If Michalek cant get better at the age of 24, then people better stop with the "Grabovski's only going to get better" posts.

Theres no reason that if put on a line with Spezza/Alfreddson he cant score 30 goals in a season. The East is also more wide open then the West and this should provide more scoring opurtunities for MM.

Old
09-12-2009, 06:10 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
And he was 22/23 at the time. You're not saying that because he hasnt hit the 30 goal mark by the age of 24, that he wont be able to? He hasnt even hit his prime yet. If Michalek cant get better at the age of 24, then people better stop with the "Grabovski's only going to get better" posts.

Theres no reason that if put on a line with Spezza/Alfreddson he cant score 30 goals in a season. The East is also more wide open then the West and this should provide more scoring opurtunities for MM.
I'm saying he's had alot of time during his career with Thornton. Saying otherwise isn't acccurate. He may hit 30, I expect him to once or twice through his career, but I think he needs to develop a bit in order to hit it with regularity. He's a younger player, but most of that draft class has broken out and he seems to have settled into a solid two-way player instead of a goalscorer, which is fine, but he's had chances in a goal scoring role where he hasn't hit 30. I see him as a mid-high 20 goal man for most of his career.

Old
09-12-2009, 06:15 PM
weems

Quote:
I'm saying he's had alot of time during his career with Thornton. Saying otherwise isn't acccurate. He may hit 30, I expect him to once or twice through his career, but I think he needs to develop a bit in order to hit it with regularity. He's a younger player, but most of that draft class has broken out and he seems to have settled into a solid two-way player instead of a goalscorer, which is fine, but he's had chances in a goal scoring role where he hasn't hit 30. I see him as a mid-high 20 goal man for most of his career.
I never said he hasnt had time on Thorntons line, was just pointing out that he didnt last season. I'd also rate Spezza/Alfreddson to be a better 1/2 linemate combo then Thornton/Marleau. Marleau also wasnt always playing on a line with Thornton before this season. He was usually the 2nd line center.

Old
09-12-2009, 06:17 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Not a very good return at all for Heatley imo. Seems like the sens are in store for another bad season. Oh well Im not complaining.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 06:19 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
I never said he hasnt had time on Thorntons line, was just pointing out that he didnt last season. I'd also rate Spezza/Alfreddson to be a better 1/2 linemate combo then Thornton/Marleau. Marleau also wasnt always playing on a line with Thornton before this season. He was usually the 2nd line center.
Your right, SJ replaced Michalek with Marleau to upgrade that top line a bit. Marleau has rarely played with for SJ, I haven't said otherwise. I wouldn't expect a Michalek - Spezza - Alfie line either, I'd expect these three and Kovalev to be paired up and placed on a different lines.

Old
09-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Twist and Shout

Michalek hasn't developed like he was expected to and Cheechoo is a shell of his former self.

Ottawa just got hosed and thankfully we no longer have to see Heatley more than once a year.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:18 PM
One Trick Pony*

Ottawa got two dependable 20-goal scorers with grit and integrity, compared to a 40-goal crybaby in Dany Heatley.

Spezza, Alfredsson, Kovalev, Cheechoo, Michalek, Fisher, Foligno.

Ottawa has some strong depth up front.

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:18 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
I may have been less full of it than people thought.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=679319
Awesome job calling the trade that had been rumored for months. You should have your own site.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:25 PM
HockeyAustralia

I am really glad I have Thornton in my fantasy team, he is going to get 300 assists this year

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
I love both the players that Ottawa got back in this deal, but Heatley is an all world talent and San Jose wins this deal in a landslide both now and for the future.

Dr.Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:00 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
I love both the players that Ottawa got back in this deal, but Heatley is an all world talent and San Jose wins this deal in a landslide both now and for the future.
Maybe Heatley can get back to where he was a couple seasons ago.

Maybe Cheechoo can get back to where he was a couple seasons ago.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:54 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Its finally over.

Glad to see the Sens being ripped off. I doubt Heatley will get the sharks any closer to their end goal though. Dumping Heatleys contract was a huge plus for the Sens.
I keep hearing that the Sens were "ripped off, but I think that Murray received the best possible value based on the situation Heatley put them in.

Not easy to trade a guy who: gives you a short list of teams he will go to, has a gigantic contract, questionable character, coming off a mediocre season (by his standards) and has demanded to be traded.

Murray did not want to go into the season with this looming over him, and certainly did not have any leverage.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:26 PM
cantskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Unless he demands a trade in a year or two.

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 10:53 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
Heatley beside Big Joe will be deadly.
As long as Big Joe isn't in his car with him, he'll be fine.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:16 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerin22 View Post
So much for Dreger and McKenzie saying it aint gonna happen
From what I read, they simply said the rumoured three-way ESPN trade wasn't happening.

San Jose wins the trade, but you never get full value for a star, especially a disgruntled one. I'm happy Heatley is out of the division.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Games: 37 Goals: 27 Assists: 23 Points: 50

Heatley's stats against the Leafs.

Have fun in San Jose!
Glad to have a Leaf killer out of the divison. That deal is also worse then the deal Edmonton offered so I'm glad about that too.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:58 PM
dacoach

Quote:
It was the Heatley - Thornton combo that Canada was heavily relying on last Olympics, right?

How does this impact SJ cap-wise, I'd think this would impact Marleau a little bit.
Michalek is making 3-4 mil a year, Cheechoo is at 3.5ish, so I think they wash with Heatley, but they also now have to bring in another player

dacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:52 AM
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
I may have been less full of it than people thought.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=679319
Props on the call

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaUTb...eature=related

lol

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:15 AM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

wow he and Thornton are going to make one of the deadliest duos in all of the NHL. Def taking Heater top 5 in my fantasy draft if i have the chance now

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 03:21 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
I keep hearing that the Sens were "ripped off, but I think that Murray received the best possible value based on the situation Heatley put them in.

Not easy to trade a guy who: gives you a short list of teams he will go to, has a gigantic contract, questionable character, coming off a mediocre season (by his standards) and has demanded to be traded.

Murray did not want to go into the season with this looming over him, and certainly did not have any leverage.
He was ripped off in terms of value BUT it's an excellent move for the Sens. Just getting rid of that malcontent and his 5 years remaining changes the Sens future in a positive way IMO.

Quote:
From the Sharks POV: They wanted to move Cheechoo (and his contract) for quite a while. Milan Michalek is a decent 20 goal man. Only being able to move that (2nd is irrelevant) for a sure fire 50 goal scorer once he pairs up with Thorton is an excellent move. The remaining problem with the Sharks still exists though, playoff chokes and Heatley clearly didn't address that.

From the Sens POV: Moving Heatley for anything is a plus. Spezza's playmaking ability is almost on par Thornton's and with the change of scenery (returning to his home province) Cheechoo may be able resurrect his career. Michalek will help fill out the Sens 2nd line which is an area they've been wanting to address for an eternity it seems.
It was an excellent trade for both teams.

Quote:
Kovalev Spezza Alfredsson
Cheechoo Fisher Michalek

or

Cheechoo Spezza Alfredsson
Michalek Fisher Kovalev
Either way, an impressive regular season top six along with a deadly power play unit.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote