HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions From Training Camp

Old
09-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Am I correct in assuming that Willy is Colin Wilson?
I'd guess so too.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Someone on the Preds board said Blum wasn't at the scrimmage today. Can anyone confirm this?

edit: adzy said Blum was indeed there, on the Silver team. Sorry if I made anyone's heart skip a beat

Last edited by Paranoid Android: 09-16-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:18 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

The reason I no longer post on the Preds boards.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Jarnberg

Scoring summary according to http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...d=nsh-home-dl:

Quote:
Scoring Summary
Period 1
Blue - Erat (Mi. Santorelli)
Blue - Mi. Santorelli (Legwand)
Silver - Hornqvist (Wilson)
Blue - Mi. Santgorelli
Silver - Sullivan (Dumont, Arnott)
Silver - Team Shoot Out Win

Period 2
Silver - Wilson (Dumont)
Silver - Olvecky
Blue - Team Shoot Out Win

Period 3
No Scoring

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
predfan98

Ryan Ellis making himself known today in the scrimmage. He has great hands and great vision and stood up to whoever took a shot at him. Was cool and calm under pressure.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Dumont left the scrimmage early with what looked like a lower body injury ... I believe we need to sign someone now, as opposed to later

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Dumont left the scrimmage early with what looked like a lower body injury ... I believe we need to sign someone now, as opposed to later
Again?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Again?
yes, again ... seriously ... why did we sign him ?

Old
09-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Yeah, he was originally banged up behind the net when he was checked from the side with his feet being stopped by the body/stick in front of him and was down briefly before getting up and finishing his shift (after a whistle). He also took another check at the same end in the third period where he came up shaking his leg and skating away with a grimace on his face. Eaves took his final shift of the scrimmage. My guess would be that Dumont tweaked his knee in the initial hit and the second hit tweaked it again, shutting him down. He had initially shaken off the trainers after the first hit, so it really comes down to his stubbornness more than anything if he was indeed injured on the second hit...

Ward skated during pre-game warmups, but did not participate in the scrimmage. Jeremy Smith did not participate in the scrimmage, but is still in camp and was working with the goalies during their session post-scrimmage.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Santorelli, Goc and Guite have to be the front runners for the open roster spots, at the moment.

O'Reilly sounded like it was going to be handed to him, but he's been invisible if not downright bad throughout camp, IMO.

Olvecky doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table, and is likely on the outside.

More impressed with Maki and even Grant than Jessiman, at this point. He looks lost out there.

Sulzer didn't look like he was getting it, today. Got blown by on a few occasions, and caught misreading on others. I worry that we've simply been telling ourselves he's ready without his abilities matching. Franson wasn't noticeable, which might be a good thing. I had thought Yonkman might be able to earn the seventh d-man job, but seeing him in actual scrimmage\play took away those notions. Blum, Laakso, and even Ellis were the best of the non-roster defenseman, IMO.

I'm sure it's nothign to worry about, but if you had to pick one goalie over the other on camp alone, Ellis has outplayed Pekka in both drills and now a scrimmage. Pickard looked better today than he had the previous times I saw him, and I think Dekanich is solid depth.

Really liked what Erat and Legwand were doing. Santorelli's goals were pretty much gimmes because of those two guys...but maybe that's what they need..someone to bury those gimmes.

Hornqvist looked better than he has since last training camp, today.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
yes, again ... seriously ... why did we sign him ?
Because he can put up points and wanted to be here? That's more than can be said for a lot of the guys in camp this year.

Dumont is tougher, or perhaps simply more stubborn, than he may seem. He wants to play. He'll be back on the ice before the end of the week, I would almost be sure of it.

Old
09-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Santorelli, Goc and Guite have to be the front runners for the open roster spots, at the moment.

O'Reilly sounded like it was going to be handed to him, but he's been invisible if not downright bad throughout camp, IMO.

Olvecky doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table, and is likely on the outside.

More impressed with Maki and even Grant than Jessiman, at this point. He looks lost out there.

Sulzer didn't look like he was getting it, today. Got blown by on a few occasions, and caught misreading on others. I worry that we've simply been telling ourselves he's ready without his abilities matching. Franson wasn't noticeable, which might be a good thing. I had thought Yonkman might be able to earn the seventh d-man job, but seeing him in actual scrimmage\play took away those notions. Blum, Laakso, and even Ellis were the best of the non-roster defenseman, IMO.

I'm sure it's nothign to worry about, but if you had to pick one goalie over the other on camp alone, Ellis has outplayed Pekka in both drills and now a scrimmage. Pickard looked better today than he had the previous times I saw him, and I think Dekanich is solid depth.

Really liked what Erat and Legwand were doing. Santorelli's goals were pretty much gimmes because of those two guys...but maybe that's what they need..someone to bury those gimmes.

I noticed him in the 3rd today ... he made a horrible pass on a breakout which lead to a 3 on 2 the other way for the Blue team, not exactly sure who was on the ice at the time for the silver team, but I do remember it was Franson who made that awful attempted breakout pass

Old
09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
goalscorer

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=498790

I'm sure this nothing new to those who have been able to attend, but I thought it was interesting.

I may be reading into this a bit, but it sounds like Wilson has been hanging with the big boys as far as the scrimmages are concerned. Put up a couple goals and assists each of the last two days? Are we thinking there is a possibility of him NOT starting for the Admirals? I guess time will tell. Does anyone know who he's been skating with.

What are our opinions on the folowing...
Sully-Arnott-Dumont
Santorelli-Legwand-Erat
Spalling-Wilson-Ward
Jones/Hornquist-O'Reilly-TooToo

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
Sully-Arnott-Dumont
Santorelli-Legwand-Erat
Spalling-Wilson-Ward
I'm actually fine with it, maybe switch Jones for Spalling.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

I'm sure this nothing new to those who have been able to attend, but I thought it was interesting.

I may be reading into this a bit, but it sounds like Wilson has been hanging with the big boys as far as the scrimmages are concerned. Put up a couple goals and assists each of the last two days? Are we thinking there is a possibility of him NOT starting for the Admirals? I guess time will tell. Does anyone know who he's been skating with.

Sully-Arnott-Dumont
Santorelli-Legwand-Erat
Spalling-Wilson-Ward
That 4th line would get owned on a nightly basis. Need more players who know what defense is.

I still believe Wilson will start the year in Milwaukee, no matter how good of a camp he has. Also, Smithson and Guite are locks to make the team, and Goc has a high probability as well. Of course, 3rd and 4th lines will be a merry-go-round of players. Maybe seeing Tootoo or Guite on the 3rd line, and rotating in Belak as necessary.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I still believe Wilson will start the year in Milwaukee, no matter how good of a camp he has.
You really think that will be the case? Not critizing you, just asking.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brand...Swift/94/22934

After the article there is a short couple question interview....
When I say, "Everybody goes through Milwaukee", there is exceptions to the rule, there's no question about that. -Trotz

I'm not necesarily disagreeing with you, but if he's got the size and capablity to play 3rd or 4th line minutes, why couldnt he be the exception? I know why he could possibly start in the AHL, but from the sounds of it hes having a great camp. Its neither of our decisions of course, but Id like to think that our coaches/gms are not so set in this "Road to Nash." thing that they would hold back a player that could make an impact for us right off the bat.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:15 PM
predfan24

I see Wilson going the same route Hornqvist and Jones did last year. Start the season on the big club on a "tryout" if you will. If he impresses then he stays if not then you send him to the Ads where he will be the man and can get some experience and confidence.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think we'll go into the season with what we have (unless we make some deal I've been hearing rumors about). If we're completely terrible, or get hit with a bunch of injuries quickly I doubt we see Wilson before Christmas.

With that said, it would be nice to see him blow the lid off throughout pre-season, and then hit the net hard from the get-go.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:17 PM
predfan24

Quote:
You really think that will be the case? Not critizing you, just asking.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brand...Swift/94/22934

After the article there is a short couple question interview....
When I say, "Everybody goes through Milwaukee", there is exceptions to the rule, there's no question about that. -Trotz

I'm not necesarily disagreeing with you, but if he's got the size and capablity to play 3rd or 4th line minutes, why couldnt he be the exception?
It's called stunting development. Wilson on the third line might work if he gets at least 13-14 minutes per night. 4th line would be pointless, you would be harming him more than helping him.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:07 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

Sully-Arnott-Dumont
Santorelli-Legwand-Erat
Spalling-Wilson-Ward
You're reading far too much into it. This is standard fare. None of the guys that were cut were under contract, and all of the forwards and goaltenders in camp at this point are under contract with the Predators. The only players on PTOs are Matheson, Ford, and Sinkewich (IIRC, he's Milwaukee's property), and the only unsigned prospect is Ellis.

I'm more surprised that we kept 13 defenders. I don't think Ellis was expected to stay in camp, really. That's a testament to how well he's played, how highly the organization thinks of him, and that they likely want to see what he can do against more serious competition. I would expect to see him in the lineup tomorrow night.

Old
09-16-2009, 07:39 PM
QScout

Hi everyone,

I didn't read anything on Gab Bourque yet ... did anyone notice him ? Is he injured ?

Thanks for the update!

QScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:08 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicsandOil View Post
Hi everyone,

I didn't read anything on Gab Bourque yet ... did anyone notice him ? Is he injured ?

Thanks for the update!
They've had the rookies in separate practices and then they went to Atlanta for 2 days, so I haven't seen him personally.
He had 2 shots on goal in one of the Atlanta games.

He was released today back to junior camp along with 12 others, but I imagine everyone expected that.
Sorrry, I can't help.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:43 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yeah, he was originally banged up behind the net when he was checked from the side with his feet being stopped by the body/stick in front of him and was down briefly before getting up and finishing his shift (after a whistle). He also took another check at the same end in the third period where he came up shaking his leg and skating away with a grimace on his face. Eaves took his final shift of the scrimmage. My guess would be that Dumont tweaked his knee in the initial hit and the second hit tweaked it again, shutting him down. He had initially shaken off the trainers after the first hit, so it really comes down to his stubbornness more than anything if he was indeed injured on the second hit...

Ward skated during pre-game warmups, but did not participate in the scrimmage. Jeremy Smith did not participate in the scrimmage, but is still in camp and was working with the goalies during their session post-scrimmage.
SLake, it was good meeting you today. I apologize that I only got to speak with you for only a minute or two. It can be that way sometimes when your three year old is getting tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

I only get to attend one training camp day a year (try to take my son each year) and this was it.

Really liked what I saw from Erat, Legwand, and Santorelli. I also really liked what I saw from Sully, Dumont, Arnott, and Wilson.

Really liked some of the leadership and passion I saw from Weber as well. He was extremely annoyed with the goal scored by Wilson with the feed from Dumont from behind the goal.

Ryan Ellis was particularly impressive, especially given his age.

I didn't notice Blum or Franson too much today (again, the only day I've attended), but I also had my three year old and seven month old that attracted some of my attention.

I laughed often at Jordin's gold tooth. He still can't break that habit of shooting right into a goalie's chest.

David Singleton

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:16 AM
JussiM

Let me just say that all these reports are greatly appreciated. Thank you again!

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:19 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I realize who they are playing against (prospects/Mil.) but, the SullyArnottDumont line looked great! I hope they can stay healthy because they really looked great and seemed to be having a blast on the ice.

And I liked what I saw out of the Legwand/Erat/Santorelli line. I didn't know what to expect out of Santorelli with those 2 but they made some good plays and Santorelli was able to score on the rebounds.

Dan Ellis looked great. Both him and Rinne looked good in the shootout. They stayed up and waited for the shooter to make a move and didn't fall to the ice and let the shooter put it into an empty net.

Someone said earlier that Weber looked bigger and I have to agree. He looked good, and so did Suter. I expect another good year from them.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote