HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7 20-goal scorers?

Old
09-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Eternity Is Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
The 77-78 Bruins had 11.

My guess would be four for the oilers this year. There's always injuries, and only so much PP time.
that's sick 11 20 goals scorers. mind the league was different back then but man 11. That's a good team. and plus Don Cherry was there coach. To bad they lost in the finals that year.

Eternity Is Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:12 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
He won't because his PP time is going to be cut back significantly IMO.

You probably don't even want to know how many even strength goals he scored last season but it rhymes with heaven.
heaven...hmm...heaven...27!!!

i kid

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Phaedrus

By writing 20 goal scorers I am hoping people are meaning 7 players who will exceed 20 goals. Last year the 20 goal scorers occupied positions #110 - #120 on the NHL's goal scoring list. I would like to see an Oiler or two occupying a position on the scoring chart a tad higher than that. People referring to other successful teams with not as many 20 goal scorers are missing the obvious - those teams had players who were scoring a lot more than 20.

That being said (or written), I think the potential is there to have at least a couple of players (on the current Oilers' roster) approaching - if not exceeding - 30 goals. If our new coaching staff is everything we expect it to be (and have been led to believe it is), they may get a lot out of Penner, O'Sullivan, and perhaps Horcoff. Penner and O'Sullivan are my favorites for cracking the 30 goal plateau. And who knows, I am one of the faithful hoping that Tambellini is working on a significant trade or two.

All this talk of 20 goal scorers is rather depressing (and smells of a fan base growing accustomed to the mediocre)- I am hoping we see much more out of our team this season.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:59 AM
firemedic136

i haven't read all of the thread, but it's hard to have similar type players all scoring 20 goals because they duplicate each other on the roster so the same type guys on the 3rd line don't get as much ice time as the 2nd liners etc. so that not ALL of them can get 20. We do need more goals though- that;s obvious, and I don't think our "type" of player is going to allow us to play a shut down syle of play.
Is Chicago run and gun our type of hockey we need to play, or detroit?

firemedic136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
About half-way through the season update time:

Jumptheshark will probably win the sig bet on this one with the other fellow.

So far the team is on pace for 2 20 goal guys.

It would have been three for sure, but Hemsky died.

You know, it might be close if some of the guys have decent ends to the year. Gagner can hit hot streaks for 20-30 games. Potulny might hit 20.

Who do you think will hit 20?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post

You know, it might be close if some of the guys have decent ends to the year. Gagner can hit hot streaks for 20-30 games. Potulny might hit 20.

It's going to take A LOT.

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:30 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post

Penner is already there. I think Brule will make it as long as he stays healthy, he has 11 now. Gagner has an outside shot, other than that its pretty slim.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:37 PM
GDU

i think brule and one of gagner/o sullivan, maybe even both, and i guess poltuny is a longshot...

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:39 PM
bzur

The only way we're going to get 7 20 goal scorers this season is if we trade for 6 guys who already have 20 goals.
HA

Anyways I hope at least Brule will hit that mark.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Horseradish

I'm one who thinks that both Carolina and Edmonton have just had bad breaks this year. They'll both be playoff contenders again next year, I honestly believe.

But I think that kind of scoring is entirely possible. Look at Vancouver at least based on the pace they're on right now:

Hank Sedin will hit 30 for sure, maybe 40.
Kesler should hit 20+.
Daniel Sedin should be good for 30+.
Burrows should come close to 30.
Raymond should come close to 30.
Samuelsson should be near 30.
Ehrhoff will be close to 20.
Bernier should hit 20.

Wellwood and Salo are only around 4 goals, but they both have the ability to hit close to 20 this year if they get hot.

I don't see why it would be out of the question for the Oilers to do this to a lesser degree...but they NEED their young guys to start consistently producing. Gagner, O'Sullivan, Nilsson, Cogliano, etc. need to step up their game. They've been either around the same or regressing in the past 3 years. That's unacceptable. Either produce or move them for players who will address their needs (solid defensive zone players, size and grit, scoring consistency).

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
I'm one who thinks that both Carolina and Edmonton have just had bad breaks this year. They'll both be playoff contenders again next year, I honestly believe.

But I think that kind of scoring is entirely possible. Look at Vancouver at least based on the pace they're on right now:

Hank Sedin will hit 30 for sure, maybe 40.
Kesler should hit 20+.
Daniel Sedin should be good for 30+.
Burrows should come close to 30.
Raymond should come close to 30.
Samuelsson should be near 30.
Ehrhoff will be close to 20.
Bernier should hit 20.

Wellwood and Salo are only around 4 goals, but they both have the ability to hit close to 20 this year if they get hot.

I don't see why it would be out of the question for the Oilers to do this to a lesser degree...but they NEED their young guys to start consistently producing. Gagner, O'Sullivan, Nilsson, Cogliano, etc. need to step up their game. They've been either around the same or regressing in the past 3 years. That's unacceptable. Either produce or move them for players who will address their needs (solid defensive zone players, size and grit, scoring consistency).
I don't see what this has to do with the Canucks.

ALL of those players are mid-20 to 30 years old or older. They aren't 20-22 years old in their third years in primary roles on the team. It's beyond counterproductive to say "step up", because they can't and they won't at their age with their experiences and skill levels against the other teams top players.

Daniel and Henrik. Raymond. Burrows. Kesler's. They weren't anywhere near ready to be the players they are now at Gagner or Cogliano's age.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I don't see what this has to do with the Canucks.

ALL of those players are mid-20 to 30 years old or older. They aren't 20-22 years old in their third years in primary roles on the team. It's beyond counterproductive to say "step up", because they can't and they won't at their age with their experiences and skill levels against the other teams top players.

Daniel and Henrik. Raymond. Burrows. Kesler's. They weren't anywhere near ready to be the players they are now at Gagner or Cogliano's age.
What does this have to do with Gagner and Cogliano?

One of the biggest issues with the team is that there is a huge hole in donut.

There are a bunch of overpaid, underachieving veterans, (Horcoff, Moreau, Staios, Pisani etc.) a prospect group that crashed and burned (JFJ, Pouliot etc.) and a few kids who aren't ready for prime time.

Perhaps looking at how other teams have built a winner might be helpful.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Quote:
So suck enough and draft a Crosby and Malkin?

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:20 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
So suck enough and draft a Crosby and Malkin?
Nope.

While that has happened to a few teams, the top 8 in the league right now are:

Chicago
San Jose
Buffalo
Washington
Calgary
Pittsburgh
Vancouver

How many of those teams have had a first overall pick the the last 5 years?

Half.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:20 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
What does this have to do with Gagner and Cogliano?

One of the biggest issues with the team is that there is a huge hole in donut.

There are a bunch of overpaid, underachieving veterans, (Horcoff, Moreau, Staios, Pisani etc.) a prospect group that crashed and burned (JFJ, Pouliot etc.) and a few kids who aren't ready for prime time.

I agree that they need to look to more successful franchises on how to build a winner. Fully and completely.

Good prime-aged players in the place of the Moreau's, Pisani's, Staios' and yes, Horcoff's will not only make the team better in the short-term, it will allow the better prospects to develop in an environment similar to how all those Canucks players got to develop.

Only way you get a long-running successful franchise is by cycling talent in and letting prime-aged players lead the way. Not throwing 5'10 20 years olds into the top-line position and expecting him to bring you the playoffs.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I agree that they need to look to more successful franchises on how to build a winner. Fully and completely.

Good prime-aged players in the place of the Moreau's, Pisani's, Staios' and yes, Horcoff's will not only make the team better in the short-term, it will allow the better prospects to develop in an environment similar to how all those Canucks players got to develop.

Only way you get a long-running successful franchise is by cycling talent in and letting prime-aged players lead the way. Not throwing 5'10 20 years olds into the top-line position and expecting him to bring you the playoffs.
By golly after all these years we're on the same page.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

Quote:
Nope.

Chicago
San Jose
Buffalo
Washington
Calgary
Pittsburgh
Vancouver

Half.
How many of those teams have won something? Theres only one winner there. I thought we were talking about winners.

Of the 8 you posted I think maybe 3 have a real shot (Chicago, San Jose, Pittsburgh). I still think Philly is in the hunt regardless of the current standings.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
RKD

Potulny probably could have hit the 20-goal mark easily if he played the whole year here. He still has the potential to, however...just some work to do.

Horcoff, Gagner, O'Sullivan are possibilities. They all need to be better in the second half, but it's possible.

Brule should.

Meanwhile, Penner is already there. Nicely done, rest of the team.

At the end of the year, I'll say a total of four.

01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
How many of those teams have won something? Theres only one winner there. I thought we were talking about winners.

Of the 8 you posted I think maybe 3 have a real shot (Chicago, San Jose, Pittsburgh). I still think Philly is in the hunt regardless of the current standings.
If your measure is a Cup win then you're setting the bar pretty high and perhaps missing the obvious.

The Cup winners since the lockout have included Detroit, Anaheim, Pittsburgh and Carolina.

How many #1 overall picks on those teams?

Old
01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Cawz

We had five 20-goal scorers in 02/03 - Ryan Smyth, Todd Marchant, Anson Carter, Mike Comrie and Mike York.

We almost has six in 05/06 - four broke the mark (Shawn Horcoff, Jarret Stoll, Ryan Smyth, Raffi Torres) Hemsky got 19 and Pisani got 18.

Besides that, its usually 2 or 3 players.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:38 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Potulny probably could have hit the 20-goal mark easily if he played the whole year here. He still has the potential to, however...just some work to do.

Horcoff, Gagner, O'Sullivan are possibilities. They all need to be better in the second half, but it's possible.

Brule should.

Meanwhile, Penner is already there. Nicely done, rest of the team.

At the end of the year, I'll say a total of four.
Of course Horcoff wil break 20 and exceed 70 points, right?

Old
01-11-2010, 10:39 PM
RKD

Quote:
Of course Horcoff wil break 20 and exceed 70 points, right?
I don't know what you're talking about. I never said he would.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

Quote:
If your measure is a Cup win then you're setting the bar pretty high and perhaps missing the obvious.

The Cup winners since the lockout have included Detroit, Anaheim, Pittsburgh and Carolina.

How many #1 overall picks on those teams?
Yeah, the Cup is my measure and why shouldn't it be for cup potential teams. For a team that's top 8 in the league, anything less than a cup should be a disappointment. If San Jose continues to go cupless, do you consider them a winning team? If Chicago never wins a cup with Kane and Toews, are they a winning team?

As for the Crosby/Malkin wasn't necessarily saying drafting #1 overall. Moreso a franchise player. Something all those cup teams do have.

Old
01-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Nope.

Chicago
San Jose
Buffalo
Washington
Calgary
Pittsburgh
Vancouver

Half.
To be fair though, of the teams that haven't had a high pick in the last 5 years, a couple still have left over matured high picks from earlier. Nice building blocks to move forward with. Not necessarily #1 overall, but a top 3.

SJ - Marleau - 2nd overall.

Vancouver - the Sedins - 2nd and 3rd overall.

Calgary may be up there now, but IMHO, I really don't think they're a threat to win the cup. Buffalo, yes, because of Miller.

So out of the top 8 teams, 6 of them have at least one top three overall pick on the roster as an important piece. It really does make a difference.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:10 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Yeah, the Cup is my measure and why shouldn't it be for cup potential teams. For a team that's top 8 in the league, anything less than a cup should be a disappointment. If San Jose continues to go cupless, do you consider them a winning team? If Chicago never wins a cup with Kane and Toews, are they a winning team?

As for the Crosby/Malkin wasn't necessarily saying drafting #1 overall. Moreso a franchise player. Something all those cup teams do have.
While I agree a Cup is the ultimate goal, I think icing a team that has a chance has to be the goal for almost every team.

I would be happy with a top 8 team, wouldn't you?