HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets/Giant Offseason Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-20-2009, 11:16 PM
  #101
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,834
vCash: 500
It's always a good thing to see Jerry Jones' evening ruined. Oh, and Eli is like buttah in pressure situations.

jas is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 12:47 AM
  #102
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,965
vCash: 500
what a game, I think I had multiple heart attacks in the closing two minutes.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 01:09 AM
  #103
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Awesome game. Eli is just so clutch in the fourth. Manningham and Smith stepped up big-time for us tonight, especially Mario. This may have been his coming out party. Just awesome to ruin Dallas' home opener.

Great job by the Jets too. Anytime someone beats those cheaters it's a good thing. I can't remember the last time I've heard the Meadowlands as loud as it was today. The Jets fans stepped up, Ryan has showed he is a completely different coach than Mangini and the Jets defense was ferocious tonight. Well done.

danno2530 is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 07:14 AM
  #104
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,635
vCash: 50
Awards:
Hopefully some of the pass rushes will result in sacks once the Jets get Calvin Pace back. He notched seven sacks in our passive defense last season...I like to think he can do 7 in his 12 games this year since we blitz every down.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 07:22 AM
  #105
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil
 
The Perfect Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,572
vCash: 500
Wow, what a 4th quarter to the Giants game. Anybody else almost have a heart attack before the field goal? Good way to end a day of NY football.

Good games for both the Jets and Giants. Can't wait to see them both in action for week 3!

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 07:38 AM
  #106
we want cup
Ants in the Pants
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 11,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Wow, what a 4th quarter to the Giants game. Anybody else almost have a heart attack before the field goal? Good way to end a day of NY football.

Good games for both the Jets and Giants. Can't wait to see them both in action for week 3!
Does anybody else agree that icing the kicker is totally bush league? I really think the NFL should put a stop to that practice....

we want cup is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 07:55 AM
  #107
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,635
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Does anybody else agree that icing the kicker is totally bush league? I really think the NFL should put a stop to that practice....
Even if it's not bush league, it's pretty ineffective. How often does it work? I remember Joe Gibbs coaching the Redskins a few seasons back calling a TO right before the guy took the kick. He took the kick anyway and missed it. But since a TO was called, he got another shot. And of course he hits it...

Kickers are paid to do one thing and one thing only. They're all professionals and I seriously doubt making them think about the kick another 45 seconds has much impact.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 08:00 AM
  #108
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Does anybody else agree that icing the kicker is totally bush league? I really think the NFL should put a stop to that practice....
I agree. It used to be the other team would call the timeout well in advance of the snap. Now they wait until the last second so you have to kick it twice. Not only has that strategy come back to burn teams in the past (kicker missed 1st and made 2nd), but it increases the chance that someone will get hurt.

I've never seen that actually work in the defending team's favor but every coach knows that's what they are "supposed" to do in that situation, so they all do it. The league needs to put a stop to it.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 08:04 AM
  #109
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 27,448
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
anyone else find the giants game just overall hilarious?

the "kick" steal and the 2 field goals at the end were just ridiculous

FromTheSide is online now  
Old
09-21-2009, 08:40 AM
  #110
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,052
vCash: 500
Great wins yesterday.

Defense came through for both teams, but I have to say, both NY QB's are so underrated.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 08:53 AM
  #111
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,204
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Great wins yesterday.

Defense came through for both teams, but I have to say, both NY QB's are so underrated.
I don't see how Sanchez is underrated at all. How can you say that when some Jets fans are already hailing the guy as the next Joe Namath?

If anything, he's a bit overrated already. Good QB, but he's played in all of 2 real games.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 09:00 AM
  #112
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't see how Sanchez is underrated at all. How can you say that when some Jets fans are already hailing the guy as the next Joe Namath?

If anything, he's a bit overrated already. Good QB, but he's played in all of 2 real games.
I'm not going by Jets fans, they are like Ranger fans, every Petr Prucha is hailed as untouchable. Thats not what i'm saying. Outside NY, neither of these guys gets much respect. For a rookie, he's underrated.

Eli has always been underrated. Giant fans were on his case too, but not so much since the Super Bowl, that kinda thing makes talk go away

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
  #113
zestystrat
Registered User
 
zestystrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC > Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Does anybody else agree that icing the kicker is totally bush league? I really think the NFL should put a stop to that practice....
It's pretty lame IMO, but okay in the rules, so go nuts and try to "Psych" him out.

What is so stupid about it is not that they did it, but that he called a TO so close to the play getting off that the c'boys gave him a practice kick.

Assuming you think this tactic works, why not just call a TO before they snap it? The guy just missed a 29 yarder, give him some time to think about it.

If the G can’t capitalize in the red zone on a regular basis this season, they won’t go far…

zestystrat is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 09:10 AM
  #114
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,204
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm not going by Jets fans, they are like Ranger fans, every Petr Prucha is hailed as untouchable. Thats not what i'm saying. Outside NY, neither of these guys gets much respect. For a rookie, he's underrated.

Eli has always been underrated. Giant fans were on his case too, but not so much since the Super Bowl, that kinda thing makes talk go away
I still disagree with you on Sanchez even there. Whenever he's talked about, it's all praise and positives. He's gotten a ton of attention -- more than most normal rookie QBs ever get. And it's only the 2nd game.

All I heard yesterday was praise for the guy on all the major networks.

Not sure where he's not getting his due like you think, though.

ECL is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 09:16 AM
  #115
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,204
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
It's pretty lame IMO, but okay in the rules, so go nuts and try to "Psych" him out.

What is so stupid about it is not that they did it, but that he called a TO so close to the play getting off that the c'boys gave him a practice kick.

Assuming you think this tactic works, why not just call a TO before they snap it? The guy just missed a 29 yarder, give him some time to think about it.

If the G can’t capitalize in the red zone on a regular basis this season, they won’t go far…
I always like seeing that tactic fail when they stupidly give the guy a free kick. I mean, come on. Why would you do that.

ECL is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 09:19 AM
  #116
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I still disagree with you on Sanchez even there. Whenever he's talked about, it's all praise and positives. He's gotten a ton of attention -- more than most normal rookie QBs ever get. And it's only the 2nd game.

All I heard yesterday was praise for the guy on all the major networks.

Not sure where he's not getting his due like you think, though.
Even with that praise I still think its tempered, he still has alot to prove and I think he will prove it. Underrated

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 09:27 AM
  #117
Kind of Blue
Registered User
 
Kind of Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Does anybody else agree that icing the kicker is totally bush league? I really think the NFL should put a stop to that practice....
They should definitely have a rule in place to stop that.

The fact that it almost never works is irrelevant.

For an especially long kick, the kicker is at a disadvantage if he has to kick a second time in quick succession. The kicker is using all his strength to kick a 50-yard FG, for example; making him take another one -- the one that counts -- 30 seconds later is unfair.

Kind of Blue is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 09:37 AM
  #118
zestystrat
Registered User
 
zestystrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC > Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
They should definitely have a rule in place to stop that.

The fact that it almost never works is irrelevant.

For an especially long kick, the kicker is at a disadvantage if he has to kick a second time in quick succession. The kicker is using all his strength to kick a 50-yard FG, for example; making him take another one -- the one that counts -- 30 seconds later is unfair.
Jeez, I hope a kicker is in shape enough to make two of those in a row...I mean isn't that his one and only job?

You don't sweat Eli having to throw 2-3 hail marys at the end of the game b/c they are down by 7 and at their own 40 yard line.

zestystrat is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 09:49 AM
  #119
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,635
vCash: 50
Awards:
What kind of rule could you put in place to prevent icing the kicker? I mean you can't tell a coach that he can't call a TO. What if there is a legitimate reason to call TO, like there are too many guys on the field (or not enough) or the kicking team switches formations or you honestly believe they're about to run a fake? There are plenty of reasons to legitimately call a timeout, so I don't know how you stop it...

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 10:19 AM
  #120
Kind of Blue
Registered User
 
Kind of Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
What kind of rule could you put in place to prevent icing the kicker? I mean you can't tell a coach that he can't call a TO. What if there is a legitimate reason to call TO, like there are too many guys on the field (or not enough) or the kicking team switches formations or you honestly believe they're about to run a fake? There are plenty of reasons to legitimately call a timeout, so I don't know how you stop it...
Perhaps. I guess the potential need to call a legitimate timeout outweighs the potential disadvantage to the kicker.

Kind of Blue is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 10:27 AM
  #121
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,635
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Perhaps. I guess the potential need to call a legitimate timeout outweighs the potential disadvantage to the kicker.
I kicked FGs and PATs for my HS team (I also played FB). There was a **** load of adrenaline flowing through when you had to make a big kick...I was only "iced" once and it didn't really do much to me. I just laughed and stretched for 30 seconds. I know kicking for a 1,000 person HS is different than in front of 80,000 NFL fans, but I think the personal pressure is the same. If you can kick, you can kick, regardless of being iced.

EDIT: Full disclosure here, I missed the kick. It wasn't because I was iced though, it was just because I sucked. I only kicked because no one else would and I played soccer (but only as a goalie). We also went for two-point conversions 90% of the time.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 11:32 AM
  #122
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 11,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I always like seeing that tactic fail when they stupidly give the guy a free kick. I mean, come on. Why would you do that.
dungy said it best....i like icing the kicker, but im not going to wait for the last second so he gets a practice kick.

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 11:40 AM
  #123
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,204
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Even with that praise I still think its tempered, he still has alot to prove and I think he will prove it. Underrated
I must pay way more attention than most, then, to pre/post-game shows, the news, etc. because Sanchez was out of every single person's mouth yesterday no matter what network. And all it was is that he's some second coming, etc.

Tempered? Not at all. Not right now.

It's mostly because of the New York media hyping the guy up as much as possible, but also because of the fact that Jets fans are so overly desperate for anything at all that they hype up every single person they draft beyond belief.

Look at what they did with Gholston. He was the next LT. He was supposed to be some super human freak who could never be blocked and never be stopped. Now, anyone who watched college football knew this guy had a lot of issues and was a huge project. But Jets fans already want the guy run out of town.

Jets fans are the most fickle, most insane fans in football, if you ask me. Worse than Bears fans. It's because of a lack of success that they are so crazy, but I guess it is what it is.

ECL is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
  #124
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I must pay way more attention than most, then, to pre/post-game shows, the news, etc. because Sanchez was out of every single person's mouth yesterday no matter what network. And all it was is that he's some second coming, etc.

Tempered? Not at all. Not right now.

It's mostly because of the New York media hyping the guy up as much as possible, but also because of the fact that Jets fans are so overly desperate for anything at all that they hype up every single person they draft beyond belief.

Look at what they did with Gholston. He was the next LT. He was supposed to be some super human freak who could never be blocked and never be stopped. Now, anyone who watched college football knew this guy had a lot of issues and was a huge project. But Jets fans already want the guy run out of town.

Jets fans are the most fickle, most insane fans in football, if you ask me. Worse than Bears fans. It's because of a lack of success that they are so crazy, but I guess it is what it is.
I wouldnt have started this if i knew you were such a hater towards the Jets, forget it.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
  #125
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,204
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I wouldnt have started this if i knew you were such a hater towards the Jets, forget it.
I actually like the Jets.

I don't like Jets fans who are insane, which, unfortunately, represents a fairly large portion of the fanbase.

Never hated the Jets and used to root for them all the time along with my G-men. Once the new generation of fans came around though (the 20 somethings that never saw them win anything), the attitude of the fans kind of changed. Unfortunate but true. I remember when I was a kid, the Jets fans never were like they are now.

ECL is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.