HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New to Skating, Outer Arch Pain

Old
09-13-2009, 11:36 AM
sikosmurf

vCash: 500
New to Skating, Outer Arch Pain

Hello everyone. I've recently been trying to get into beer league hockey, but I have had no real skating experience other than roller blading back in middle school (i'm 23 now). Back in May, I decided to take some skating lessons to get me going. I transferred enough knowledge from inline to be able to skate forward and get around, no stopping or backwards though. This apparently qualified me enough to skip beginner lessons and move to intermediate. Long story short the rink only rented figure skates, and after the third lesson, I end and braking my leg when the toe pick caught and falling down weird (low down on my fibula, close to the ankle).

Fast forward to mid august, i was prohibited from skating until after we got married on august 8th (fair enough). So now i'm trying to get back into it, and i decide to use my company's "Health and Wellness fund" of $250 per year worth of sports equipment/gym memberships to buy a new pair of skates.

I went to a local pro shop in a rink, but the person who was fitting me with skates seemed new, and didn't really seem to have any idea what she was doing. I end up getting the Bauer Vapor X:20 and get them heat molded.

So far I've been skating with them 3 times, but these last 2 times, the outer arch of my foot has been killing me, to the point where when i'm ready to go, i'll have to sit there for about 5 minutes after I take my skates off until the pain goes away long enough to get my shoes on.

So i guess my question is: is this normal for new skaters? With new skates? Is it just something that will go away as the skates get broken in? I'm tying my laces very tight, could this be the problem? I'm not sure how tight i'm supposed to make them. Did I perhaps not get fit properly for skates? She seemed to have no clue what she was doing for the heat molding, is it possible that that got ****ed up?

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
mbush82

I pretty much had the same problem when I started skating. At the advice of my friend, I just tied the first half of the skate (over the arch) so that it was more snug instead, then I tied the ankle part tight. I heard some people go as far to have two laces on one skate to create the different tightnesses.

mbush82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
You're probably tying the forefoot too tight. Like the poster above said, it only needs to be snug. Try getting waxed laces and doing that, they stay in place better so you can adjust the tightness on different parts of the skate.

That's the first step. If adjusting the lacing doesn't work, look into a different insole. If that doesn't work, you may have gotten a pair of skates that doesn't fit you well.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 03:36 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You're probably tying the forefoot too tight. Like the poster above said, it only needs to be snug. Try getting waxed laces and doing that, they stay in place better so you can adjust the tightness on different parts of the skate.

That's the first step. If adjusting the lacing doesn't work, look into a different insole. If that doesn't work, you may have gotten a pair of skates that doesn't fit you well.
Agreed. The other question I have is what size skates did you get? You may need an EE.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:42 PM
sikosmurf

I got 9 D's. The person didn't mention anything about checking the width of my feet.. How can I check what width shoe i should get?

Last edited by sikosmurf: 09-13-2009 at 07:48 PM.
sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikosmurf View Post
I got 9 D's. The person didn't mention anything about checking the width of my feet.. How can I check what width shoe i should get?
Any competent skate shop would have the foot measuring gauges which determine what skate size and width you should go with. Each skate manufacturer also has their own sizing gauge by the way.

You should find a store easily that sells skates that are wroth even shopping at. If they do not have one don't shop there unless you already know your size.

I wear a 12D when playing outdoors for Bauer as I wear a double thick sock for the cold but indoors I wear an 11.5 EE width. I used to wear 12D which is a regular width which fit my foot width well but not my length. I didn't know about all of these different sizings for skates and just bought "regular" widths.

It makes a difference so find a skate shop with the gauges, most have them.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Saved*

The piece of equipment that measures your length and width is called a Brannock Device.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Yup, named for the guy who invented it, and the shoe size ones are still made out of heavy duty steel, made to last in Syracuse. Those things are very well designed and built with a level of quality you don't see these days.

Skate ones, however, are made with cheap plastic.

Also, you shouldn't just sit there when trying the skate on. If it hurts or doesn't fit, you need to tell the guy. If you don't, he has no way of knowing if it fits well or not. Skates are stiff and quite solid, you can't see inside them to know if the foot is being crushed or not.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 09:38 AM
maci4life

i second the tightening part.

if i tighten the bottom half of my ccm ( up to the lace locks )too tight, they start to hurt my instep and make the foot numb even though i don't think i tightened them too much.

also, throw in some gel soles, they should help.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikosmurf View Post
D is average. You would probably be aware of it if you had wide feet.

How high are your arches?

Most skates are made for flat to average feet so that everyone can buy them, but only those with flat to average feet can actually fit them without changing the foot bed. (baking does nothing in this regard)

Modern skates require some lace pressure at the instep to "lock in" the heel. If the arch is not supported this puts excessive load on the arch.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote