HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the 3 Year Extension for Vigneault?

Old
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Why the 3 Year Extension for Vigneault?

Tony Gallagher questions the reported 3 year extension for Alain Vigneault. He wants Vigneault kept on a tight one year leash.
Quote:
Clearly Gillis and Vigneault get along well and they're right for each other. So why not come to an arrangement whereby the coach always has a year left on his deal?
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...298/story.html

Well Tony this is a negotiation - if you want to keep Vigneault then you have to give something up.

And if as it seems, Mike Gillis clearly believes Vigneault is his guy, this sends a clear message to the players who is in charge of the team.

Gallagher also asks:
Quote:
Why put the owner's money at risk like this at a time when the players are being asked to take shorter term contracts for less money?
First off most fans could not give a hoot if this costs the owner money.

Secondly the reason players are being squeezed is because of the salary cap - last time I checked coach salaries do not count against the cap.

The 3 year extension for Vigneault makes sense for Gillis... and thus far he seems to have a pretty good idea of what he is doing in terms of team management.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Macke*

AV won't be coach of the Canucks when his contract is done I fel fairly safe saying that.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Ernie

Ah good ol' Tony, returning to his roots.

In pro sports a 3 year contract is pretty standard. It's not like it adds to job security though.

If Gillis is willing to hide $3m of salary in the minors, you think he's going to have a problem eating a couple mil on a coach's salary? Not likely.

Last edited by Ernie: 09-13-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

The article also claims the Canucks ate a year on Marc Crawford's contract, which is incorrect. As Crawford was hired by the Los Angeles Kings for the following season, he was no longer a Canuck employee and would not have been paid by the team.

Likewise if Vigneault was ever fired, I'm sure he'd have another NHL job soon enough.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:44 PM
hlrsr

Given Gallagher and MG's relationship, I always find Tony's take on AV to be kind of odd.

Is this what Gillis is actually thinking? Or is this just Tony trying to look like he's not completely up Gillis' ass?

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Ernie

I like how the main point of Gallagher's argument is that Crawford should have been fired a year before he was.

How does that work? Crawford was fired after his team missed the playoffs. Previous to that there weren't a lot of calls for him to lose his job; indeed, many considered the Canucks the best team in the West going into Crawford's last season here.

I suppose Gallagher expects that Nonis should have looked a year into the future, realized that the Canucks would miss the playoffs, and fired Crawford preemptively.

Old
09-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Given Gallagher and MG's relationship, I always find Tony's take on AV to be kind of odd.

Is this what Gillis is actually thinking? Or is this just Tony trying to look like he's not completely up Gillis' ass?
Nonis hired Vigneault. Therefore he must suck. The two division wins, coach of the year honors, those are minor details.

Old
09-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Nonis hired Vigneault. Therefore he must suck. The two division wins, coach of the year honors, those are minor details.
That is just history... Tony G works on the crystal ball approach.

Old
09-13-2009, 02:16 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
I suppose Gallagher expects that Nonis should have looked a year into the future, realized that the Canucks would miss the playoffs, and fired Crawford preemptively.
That seems to be the standard to which we usually hold Nonis.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:44 PM
MS

Quote:
I like how the main point of Gallagher's argument is that Crawford should have been fired a year before he was.

How does that work? Crawford was fired after his team missed the playoffs. Previous to that there weren't a lot of calls for him to lose his job; indeed, many considered the Canucks the best team in the West going into Crawford's last season here.

Crawford should have been gone at Xmas of the 05-06 season. And probably half of this board felt that way at the time, so it wasn't a minority opinion.

There were all kinds of red flags mid-way through that campaign that told you pretty clearly that Crawford had been tuned out, that his feud with Bertuzzi was a distraction, and that a change was needed after 7 years behind the bench.

Instead Nonis let the Crawford-Bertuzzi situation fester and poison the rest of the team, and watched as the team crashed and burned. It was one of his biggest mistakes.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakovsky View Post
That seems to be the standard to which we usually hold Nonis.
That's not true. Most of the criticism of Nonis is that he couldn't see what everyone else and their dog could.

However, I don't see how Crawford applies in that case. Sure, he lost a first round playoff match, but he was missing one of his best players in Bertuzzi and he had 3 different starting goaltenders in the series.

You can argue that Crawford should have been fired midway through the 05/06 season, but the Canucks were still solidly in playoff position and the Sedins were breaking out in a major way.

Old
09-13-2009, 02:56 PM
CallMeJerry

I pretty much agree with everything Tony says in this article.

- he suggested a 2 year extension would be OK - this makes the most sense given AV would have 3 years starting this season

- no one is knock on the door trying to steal AV away, so a 3 year extension is excessive

- AV's still hurts the team with his tendency to go to the turtle strategy - most recently in Game 4 against the Blackhawks

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Ernie

Is there really that much difference between 3 years and 4?

Does anyone actually think that Gillis would let one extra year stop him from making a change if he thought it needed to be done?

Is Tony just trying to find some way of stirring up some controversy where there is none?

Old
09-13-2009, 03:09 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

I hate Gallagher, I agree with Ernie.

09-13-2009, 03:30 PM
galiano

I would be very pleased if Gallagher were coming to the end of his one year contract and would be looking elsewhere for work. Somewhere like Moose Factory or Iqaluit would be good.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
I pretty much agree with everything Tony says in this article.

- he suggested a 2 year extension would be OK - this makes the most sense given AV would have 3 years starting this season

- no one is knock on the door trying to steal AV away, so a 3 year extension is excessive

- AV's still hurts the team with his tendency to go to the turtle strategy - most recently in Game 4 against the Blackhawks
Ugh. I get so tired of hearing this.

AV's "turtle" strategy earned the team a 100-point season. It was poor player execution against an excellent opponent that cost them Game 4. And it was not enough "turtle" that eventually cost them game 6 and the series.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Riven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
Ugh. I get so tired of hearing this.

AV's "turtle" strategy earned the team a 100-point season. It was poor player execution against an excellent opponent that cost them Game 4. And it was not enough "turtle" that eventually cost them game 6 and the series.
Agree. No team can play peddle to the metal for three periods. Or, for that matter, for 82 games and through the playoffs. At some point a team has to be able to eat up the clock and protect a lead.

Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Dado

vCash:
AV is a free agent after this season. If he doesn't get a reasonable extension, we're looking for a new coach. Not having to look for a new coach is something that has value. To Gillis it had enough value even though it is a near-lock that AV won't actually be the coach in the last year of the contract.

Not saying I necessarily agree with the extension, but there is clearly a logical argument in support of it.

Old
09-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Peter Griffin

Who really cares? If he's not getting the job done he'll get fired.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Lard_Lad

I'm no AV fan, but this is a stupid article. I think Aquaman can get by just fine without Gallagher looking out for his financial interests.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
windflare

Because it annoys Gallagher.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 05:39 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
That's not true. Most of the criticism of Nonis is that he couldn't see what everyone else and their dog could.
Not entirely true. I've seen arguments stating that Nonis should have predicted Naslund would deteriorate after 2004 and that he should not have been signed to a new contract.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Flash Walken

Deep in his heart, Tony Gallagher is a extremely jealous individual.

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Deep in his heart, Tony Gallagher is a extremely jealous individual.
Tony Gallagher does not have a heart.

I thought that was a well-known fact?

Old
09-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Province sales up 2%, mission accomplished.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote