HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Idle Darft Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Idle Drsft Speculation Thread

If the Rangers stay at #6 would you:
1) Draft BPA at #6
2) Trade down for an extra late 1st rounder (3 1st rounders in 2004)
3) Trade down for a 2005 1st rounder (2 1st rounders in 2005)
4) Trade up to grab one of the top 4 "sure bets"

I'm leaning to 2 or 3, personally. Thoughts?

Old
04-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker
If the Rangers stay at #6 would you:
1) Draft BPA at #6
2) Trade down for an extra late 1st rounder (3 1st rounders in 2004)
3) Trade down for a 2005 1st rounder (2 1st rounders in 2005)
4) Trade up to grab one of the top 4 "sure bets"

I'm leaning to 2 or 3, personally. Thoughts?

How could we trade down and have 3 first rounders?

Old
04-03-2004, 09:46 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobis13
How could we trade down and have 3 first rounders?
I think he means trading a few of our many 2nd rounders to pick up a 3rd 1st rounder (the #6, the Toronto pick, and the one traded for). I personally want to stay at #6, then trade down with the Toronto pick for another top 15. As for who to draft, I'd be VERY happy if we came away with Schremp and Thelan in the 1st round.

Old
04-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Buck

I hate to bring this up, but as I understand the rules of this lottery, there is a very good chance that we will end up picking 7th (more teams will drop one position than will move up).

Old
04-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I hate to bring this up, but as I understand the rules of this lottery, there is a very good chance that we will end up picking 7th (more teams will drop one position than will move up).
Very good may be over stating it. Anyone below us has les than 5% chance of winning the lottery, forcing the NYR down a notch.

If we trade DOWN, we give up #6 plus a #2 to receive an extra 1st rounder, is what I meant.

Somehow that was clear in my Dewar's addled brain.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:28 PM
in the hall

rangers would be foolish to trade down in a draft so rangy... there is an intense drop off after the upper tier prospects

we also need to realize we have depth now, what we are lacking is the top guy

Old
04-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Kubera55

Yeah, if anything I'd like to see the Rangers trade some of their 2nd rounders (or a package of prospects and 2nd rounders) for a second top pick in the top 10.

This is supposed to be a fairly thin draft with a couple of really high end guys, but most of them are supposed to be off the board by around No.20 or so. Given my choice I'd like to see the Rangers come off the board with a two in the top 10 along with TOR's pick, which will likely be in the 20's. But it depends on what it would cost to grab another pick in the upper part of the round . . .

Players that sound interesting, outside of the Top Five:

1) Ladd - safe pick, relatively speaking. The Rangers need a size forward who can play top six minutes at both ends of the ice. Ladd sounds tailor made for that role. Let's hope he's available at No.6.
2) Schremp - more likely Sather's favorite. He can't skip a trip to the craps table, and Schremp's upside is allegedly huge. I like him for much the same reasons (the Rangers need a franchise center, and Schremp is one of the few potentials in the draft). But his attitude issue's, size, and style of play are all serious danger signs. In an ideal world the Rangers take him at No.6, then trade up for No.7 and grab Ladd. But that could be a seriously expensive proposition, and I don't see either of them making it out of the top 10.
3) Valabik - though I'd prefer to take him outside of the top 10, just not sure if he'll be there at TOR's pick.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:34 AM
NYR469

you make the pick at #6, there will still be a good player available and the rangers need top end talent...with 6 picks in the top 50 we don't need to trade down for more picks

Old
04-04-2004, 12:40 AM
NYR469

and as far as trading down and getting 2 more 1st rounders...

the only 2 teams with multiple first rounders besides the rangers are edmonton (their own and philly) and washington (they have 3--their own, boston & det)

so a trade with edmonton would be the #6 for the #14 & #23 and a trade with washington would be the #6 for the #25 and #30...

i'd rather have the #6 in both cases

Old
04-04-2004, 12:41 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
thats not true...the rangers would only fall to #7 if one of the teams behind them 7-10 spots won the lottery and the odds of those teams winning aren't good

Old
04-04-2004, 03:26 AM
charliemurphy

Sather better make a big...splash...at this draft in getting guys that can contribute and develop quickly.
In this years draft IMO... It would be great If Sather can work out getting a pair of top players...splash...:
O,Malkin,Ladd,Barker,Schremp,Olesz,Chipchura,Wolsk i,
Thelan,Smid,Valabik,Green,Lepisto...
I wouldn't mind trying to trade for another 1st round pick...splash... in 2005.
Will Tom Poti be a Ranger?...Package?...Next Year's Defense:Tyutin-Kasparaitis-Rachunek-FA?...Stay tuned...
Pock,Kondratiev,Lampman,Grenier,Liffiton...splash. ..
Ortmeyer,Lundmark,Murray,Balej,Holik,Jagr,Dunham,. ..
Stay Tuned...Barnaby?Rucinsky?Simon?Lindros?FA?...splas h...Just off the top of my head...Larose, M.Green,Blackburn,Wiseman,D.Moore,J.Green,Immonen, Lundqvist,Grenier,Giroux,Umberger,Jessiman,Betts,
G.Moore,Liffiton,Dawes,Helminen and others...splash... There is a core of a team in there somewhere...
IMO...This year's draft and 05' are probably the most important drafts...splash...in Ranger history? Well, we all have to hold our breath and just hope Sather...splash... makes some smart picks, trades, and signings this off-season and the next and the next... Finally the youth movement has come.
The upcoming years should be exciting.
So...Who get's to coach the...
2010 Stanley Cup Champion, New Look Rangers?
I can dream can't I...splash...?

Old
04-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
Sather better make a big...splash...at this draft in getting guys that can contribute and develop quickly.
In this years draft IMO... It would be great If Sather can work out getting a pair of top players...splash...:
Will Tom Poti be a Ranger?...Package?...Next Year's Defense:Tyutin-Kasparaitis-Rachunek-FA?...Stay tuned...
Stay Tuned...Barnaby?Rucinsky?Simon?Lindros?FA?...splas h...Just off the top of my head...Larose, M.Green,Blackburn,Wiseman,D.Moore,J.Green,Immonen, Lundqvist,Grenier,Giroux,Umberger,Jessiman,Betts,
G.Moore,Liffiton,Dawes,Helminen and others...splash... There is a core of a team in there somewhere...
IMO...This year's draft and 05' are probably the most important drafts...splash...in Ranger history? Well, we all have to hold our breath and just hope Sather...splash... makes some smart picks, trades, and signings this off-season and the next and the next... Finally the youth movement has come.
Ow. My head hurts now.

Old
04-04-2004, 12:51 PM
FanaticalFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
Drugs are bad. . . And not a victimless crime, for now Mobis head hurts.

Old
04-04-2004, 05:05 PM
charliemurphy

My head has been hurting all season.

Old
04-04-2004, 08:00 PM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobis13
Ow. My head hurts now.
i hear ya hey that kid should use periods and commas and all that other stuff he wrote to much at one time, hey relax dont get to excited murphy its only hockey understand your a fan but relaxmy fault you did use them just 100 to many times i doidnt write one sentence justr a bunch of names and commas and like 10 period dots at a time damn

Old
04-05-2004, 11:09 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay 'n skeeta
i hear ya hey that kid should use periods and commas and all that other stuff he wrote to much at one time, hey relax dont get to excited murphy its only hockey understand your a fan but relaxmy fault you did use them just 100 to many times i doidnt write one sentence justr a bunch of names and commas and like 10 period dots at a time damn
mr. irony

Old
04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
In think that you make the pick at 6 and then watch and see what happens. If there is a guy on the board that you still like in the mid to late first, you can then package the Toronto 1 and s second of so and take the guy you want.

I just don't see trading up being very easy this year or even a good use of assets (unless you are going to get the #1 pick and that's not happening)