HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Comparing the 93-94 Devils vs this year's Predators

Old
03-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Sticks and Pucks

vCash: 500
Comparing the 93-94 Devils vs this year's Predators

The 93-94 New Jersey Devils team kind of came out of nowhere and finished with the second best record in the NHL in the regular season with great defense, great goaltending, and a defensive style of hockey. They didn't have top scorers up front but had enough to get the job done. Does this year's Nashville Predators remind anyone of the 93-94 Devils? How do the two teams compare?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2015, 05:14 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

93-94 Devils were 2nd in goals for and 2nd in goals against in the regular season. They didn't have that one big scorer, but their scoring depth was outstanding. (But it does make Scott Stevens leading the 2nd best offense in the league in scoring all the more extraordinary, even if he had a ton of depth to work with).

Current Predators are tied for 7th in goals for and 6th in goals against. Good, balanced team like the Devils of 93-94, but not as strong as the rest of the league.

One thing the 93-94 Devils had going for them was the Canadiens factor. They brought over so many successful people from the Montreal Canadiens - Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, Claude Lemieux, Stephane Richer, etc. Which successful team have the Predators taking people from?

I'll be honest - I was expecting this year's Predators to be higher and GA and lower in GF, rather than having a balanced ratio when I started this post. I'm sure you expected the 93-94 Devils would have been the same.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Big Phil

For the good of the game, let's hope the Predators don't go deep in the postseason. It never ends well for hockey when this happens (1995 Devils, 1996 Panthers)

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2015, 12:06 AM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
For the good of the game, let's hope the Predators don't go deep in the postseason. It never ends well for hockey when this happens (1995 Devils, 1996 Panthers)
To go along with what TDDM said, the Predators aren't actually a hyper defensive team and if they win a lot of the talk will be about them acquiring good forwards instead of relying on Craig Smith or whatever they were doing before. Laviolette to me is about as offensive minded as successful coaches get. I'd be a lot more worried about the Blues or the Wild winning, or the Kings getting their 3rd in 4 years.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

One thing the 93-94 Devils had going for them was the Canadiens factor. They brought over so many successful people from the Montreal Canadiens - Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, Claude Lemieux, Stephane Richer, etc. Which successful team have the Predators taking people from?
That's a good point. I guess that's probably the biggest difference between the two teams.

Does anyone remember if the 93-94 Devils were ever in contention of catching the Rangers for the President's Trophy? Was it a case of the Devils getting off to a hot start and then cooling down (such as the Preds this year) or did they catch fire and come out of nowhere down the stretch?

Old
03-09-2015, 12:46 AM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

the thing about those '94 devils, though, was that they had a ton of accomplished veterans. richer and claude lemieux had big time clutch stanley cup experience. nicholls was only two years removed from a monster playoffs with the oilers. bobby carpenter had totally reinvented himself, but he was a former star and (i think) defensive stopper on a cup finalist in boston. fetisov was well past his prime, but he was one of the greatest defensemen of all time. nashville doesn't really have anybody who's been anywhere before.

[EDIT: duh, should have actually read the thread before posting, instead of just the OP. TDMM beat me to it.]

and of course stevens was stevens, but i guess nashville (weber) and those devils had that piece in common.

kind of amazing, though, to look at that deep devils roster and also see the young pieces: brodeur was already great, of course. niedermayer, holik, and guerin were raw and not especially important contributors yet but obviously were future stars and huge building blocks for the '00-'03 mini-mini-dynasty. will we someday look back at jones, josi, forsberg, and wilson and see that kind of emerging stable?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2015, 12:47 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Quote:
93-94 Devils were 2nd in goals for and 2nd in goals against in the regular season. They didn't have that one big scorer, but their scoring depth was outstanding. (But it does make Scott Stevens leading the 2nd best offense in the league in scoring all the more extraordinary, even if he had a ton of depth to work with).

Current Predators are tied for 7th in goals for and 6th in goals against. Good, balanced team like the Devils of 93-94, but not as strong as the rest of the league.

I'll be honest - I was expecting this year's Predators to be higher and GA and lower in GF, rather than having a balanced ratio when I started this post. I'm sure you expected the 93-94 Devils would have been the same.
Yes, but that's not the way that 93-94 Devils team continued into the future. The Predators will be the same. Pekka Rinne is not uber-young though so lets see how long the Predators can rely on him for future championships.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2015, 12:50 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks and Pucks View Post
Does anyone remember if the 93-94 Devils were ever in contention of catching the Rangers for the President's Trophy?
The Devils caught up with the Rangers after a hot March, and both teams had 101 points in 77 GP going into April.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
The Devils caught up with the Rangers after a hot March, and both teams had 101 points in 77 GP going into April.
Ah thanks, I did not know that.

Old
03-09-2015, 03:17 PM
double5son10

Quote:
As did the Avalanche-Roy, Lemieux, Keane, Lefebvre, and particularly the Stars-Carbonneau, Keane, Ludwig, Muller, Skrudland, ass't. coach Doug Jarvis and GM Bob Gainey. Mid to late 90s were a tough time to be a Canadiens' fan. Organization was a gong show and you had to watch all that lost talent winning elsewhere.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote