HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Keeper League Draft...Need Opinions

Old
09-13-2009, 07:36 PM
CCF23

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Keeper League Draft...Need Opinions

Just finished my keeper league draft. We each had 7 keepers and it's a 14 team league, so the talent pool to pick from was fairly thinned out. 30 players on each team, forward positions don't matter, they're just "forwards".

My keepers were:

Zetterberg
Getzlaf
Ryan
Perron
Jokinen
Briere (hoping he can get back to 70-75 points)
Luongo

I picked near the end of the first round...Had 2 picks in a row for that round (from a trade). My draft went:

Martin St. Louis
Simon Gagne
Nikita Filatov
Marty Turco (goalie rush, needed a backup)
Kevin Bieksa
Alex Frolov
Lubo Visnovsky
Erik Johnson
Ryan Smyth
Christian Ehrhoff
Ed Jovanovski
Milan Hejduk
JM Liles
Andrew Cogliano
Matt Duchene
Sami Salo
Josh Bailey
Carlo Coliacovo
Matt Cullen
Lee Stempniak
David Moss
Dustin Penner
Artem Anisimov

Went established point producers for my first 2 picks, but I also sprinkled in a few young studs (Filatov, Duchene, Bailey) that should be good keepers to keep my team competitive down the road.

How'd I do?

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:18 PM
jordan7hm

vCash: 500
Well...

I'm in your league, but I'll give commentary anyway.

First thing is that you have one of the stronger keeper groups. That's of major help. Your ability to grab a second 1st round pick was a big benefit.

I liked your first two St. Louis / Gagne picks - I had Kariya slotted higher than Gagne though (and luckily picked him up). They're both bandaid boys but Kariya has a higher ceiling.

I like the Smyth pick in the 9th (16th) round. I think we both ****ed up by passing on Steve Sullivan (he went in the 17th round - we were both picking defensemen that round).

I think Whitney would have been a better D pick (went same round as Lubo, just after him) - not me this time . I also prefer my Niskanen over Erhoff pick, just because Niskanen will likely play more in Dallas than Erhoff in Van.

Towards the bottom of the draft I like your pickups of Duschene, Bailey, Coli and Anisimov (that said I think young players were vastly overrated in this draft, though not by you per se - even if we go up to 10 it's a relatively small keeper group, so you don't need to really build with youth, just draft well).

Penner was a good choice as your second round pick.

You could have grabbed an ok goalie (Toskala, Lehtonen, Giguere) a lot later than you took Turco. Goalies will likely also be trade bait in the very near future - I think you could have waited or passed on him that early.

I think Hartford won the draft, but you certainly had a good showing.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote