HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

What is your criteria for 'franchise players'?

View Poll Results: How many franchise players are there in the league?
3-10 49 52.13%
15-30 45 47.87%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
What is your criteria for 'franchise players'?

There is a lot of argument as to what a Franchise player is, and what defines them. Without rehashing this debate and getting in to the details, I want to know what the common sentiment is as to HOW MANY franchise players their are in the league.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:38 AM
CAPiTA

Franchise players IMO:

Getzlaf
Kovalchuk
Chara
Miller
Iginla
Staal
Toews
Nash
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Kopitar
Parise
Gaborik
Alfredsson
Richards
Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Lecavalier
Luongo
Ovechkin

Future/Unproven franchise players:

Bogosian
Duchene
Mason
Doughty
Tavares
Stamkos
Kessel
E-Johnson

Therefore 15-30

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:49 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Datsyuk
Kovalchuk
Lidstrom
Chara
Luongo
Brodeur

I'm picky. You need to be the best at what you do for a multiple straight seasons before I consider you a true franchise player.

Guys like Kopitar, Nash, Toews... maybe you should wait until they actually hit the PPG mark once before you anoint them with multiple 100 point players.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:07 AM
habsfans333*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Datsyuk
Kovalchuk
Lidstrom
Chara
Luongo
Brodeur

I'm picky. You need to be the best at what you do for a multiple straight seasons before I consider you a true franchise player.

Guys like Kopitar, Nash, Toews... maybe you should wait until they actually hit the PPG mark once before you anoint them with multiple 100 point players.
Datsyuk and Kovalchuk but no Iginla?

Oh, wait , you're an Oilers fans I understand now...

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:25 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
Datsyuk and Kovalchuk but no Iginla?

Oh, wait , you're an Oilers fans I understand now...
Oilers fans don't hate Iginla. Well, lately maybe (Souray hit) but I thought it was an accidental trip and am still fairly ambivalent on the Iginla topic all together.

Personally, though? I do think he is over praised. Not as physical as he gets credit for being, fairly inconsistent and he's played like a floater for the last couple years. Not an impact player away from the puck, and he rarely has a quiet offensive game - if he's scoring, he does it at a ridiculous level. He'll have four or five multi-goal, 3 point nights in a 6-7 game span then go away.

He had a great run from 2003-2007 (even though his numbers were mediocre by his standards in 05/06 - that was more of a team composition issue), but I would consider both Datsyuk and Kovalchuk to be superior hockey players at this point.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Datsyuk
Kovalchuk
Lidstrom
Chara
Luongo
Brodeur

How did you forget him

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:06 AM
Kesler17

When I think of franchise players, I don't tend to think about who are the best players in the league, or which players I'd love to have on my team, but rather what players have their team built around them. Thus meaning it is rare to have more then one franchise player per team, as some others choose to believe. Although I would make the case for Kane/Toews.

Franchise players IMO (currently or will be in the near future):
Crosby
Brodeur
Tavares
Ovechkin
Kovalchuk
Kane/Toews
Nash
Iginla
Luongo

If you disagree with the guys I picked or missed I'm OK with that, but the main point of this post is that a franchise player is someone a team is built around, rather then just the best player on a team.

Kesler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Kamal007
God Level

A franchise player is a player who a team has been built around AND that makes it to multiple playoff appearance during said players time there. How can you define a franchise player if they do nothing for the franchise in terms of making the post season (Kovalchuk being the exception).

Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Kovalchuk
Lidstrom
Brodeur
Thornton
Luongo

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Washington Capitals

10-13 Imo.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Bergeron47

10-15

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

It is driving me nuts that people are including 'future/potential' franchise players in their lists. If they aren't a franchise player then they are not a franchise player - it is a guess on your part.

What happens when a former franchise player drops off the radar or is pushed out of his spot (Stamkos over Vinny, etc)?

If a young player is to be labelled as a franchise player, their future is still uncertain, so they must absolutely dominate at a young age and show no signs of slowing down.

Sorry, Parise (284 pts in 356 games at age 25), and Ryan Miller are not there yet. Neither is Chara (1 Norris only, and no real playoff success).

My list:

Malkin
Crosby
Ovechkin
Brodeur
Luongo
Pronger
Lidstrom
Kovalchuk
Thornton

Old
12-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
Franchise players IMO:

Getzlaf
Kovalchuk
Chara
Miller
Iginla
Staal
Toews
Nash
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Kopitar
Parise
Gaborik
Alfredsson
Richards
Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Lecavalier
Luongo
Ovechkin

Future/Unproven franchise players:

Bogosian
Duchene
Mason
Doughty
Tavares
Stamkos
Kessel
E-Johnson

Therefore 15-30
Agreed 100%

Franchise player is a notch below superstar, imo. It's someone who you build your team around.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
It is driving me nuts that people are including 'future/potential' franchise players in their lists. If they aren't a franchise player then they are not a franchise player - it is a guess on your part.

What happens when a former franchise player drops off the radar or is pushed out of his spot (Stamkos over Vinny, etc)?

If a young player is to be labelled as a franchise player, their future is still uncertain, so they must absolutely dominate at a young age and show no signs of slowing down.

Sorry, Parise (284 pts in 356 games at age 25), and Ryan Miller are not there yet. Neither is Chara (1 Norris only, and no real playoff success).

My list:

Malkin
Crosby
Ovechkin
Brodeur
Luongo
Pronger
Lidstrom
Kovalchuk
Thornton
So if a player has the following:

- two 50 goal seasons
- won the Richard twice
- Was an NHL All Rookie Team, 3 time First Team All-Star, one time Second Team All-Star
- won the Art Ross Trophy
- won the King Clancy trophy
- won a Lester B. Pearson award
- Finished second in Hart voting by a single vote, was also runner up a second time.
- Won an Olympic gold medal
- leads his franchise in almost every category
- took his team on his back all the way to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals
- widely recognized as one of the best captains in the league, even won the Mark Messier Leadership award
- Heck, you could even say he's likely to retire with over 600 goals barring a major decrease in play or injury.

.... he's not a franchise player? Really? I hate the lack of respect Iggy gets on this board.

Heck, Kovy has one second team all-star, one Richard and he's on your list.

Last edited by Flames Fanatic: 12-06-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:45 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

In my opinion, a franchise player is one of the Top 30 players in the league, regardless of position, in the broadest terms...

Or, a player that can be "the" leading foundation piece of a future contender/Stanley Cup winner. A player that would be a star attraction on their own on an NHL team.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:47 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
So if a player has the following:

- two 50 goal seasons
- won the Richard twice
- Was an NHL All Rookie Team, 3 time First Team All-Star, one time Second Team All-Star
- won the Art Ross Trophy
- won the King Clancy trophy
- won a Lester B. Pearson award
- Finished second in Hart voting by a single vote
- Won an Olympic gold medal
- leads his franchise in almost every category
- took his team on his back all the way to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals
- widely recognized as one of the best captains in the league, even won the Mark Messier Leadership award
- Heck, you could even say he's likely to retire with over 600 goals barring a major decrease in play or injury.

.... he's not a franchise player? Really? I hate the lack of respect Iggy gets on this board.

Heck, Kovy has one second team all-star, one Richard and he's on your list.
Iginla is VERY close to being a franchise player, yes I suppose I might even classify him as one. Still, despite having a STRONG team (Kipper, Phaneuf, Jokinen, Reghyr), he has never went anywhere in the playoffs since the lockout... and yes he is usually the best Flame in the PO's, his performance on a team loaded with stars should be enough to drag his team into later rounds.

Old
12-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Iginla is VERY close to being a franchise player, yes I suppose I might even classify him as one. Still, despite having a STRONG team (Kipper, Phaneuf, Jokinen, Reghyr), he has never went anywhere in the playoffs since the lockout... and yes he is usually the best Flame in the PO's, his performance on a team loaded with stars should be enough to drag his team into later rounds.
There isn't any might about it. Iginla has a strong case for the HHOF, especially if he wins a cup and breaks the 600 goal mark. He's only 32, so he has lots of time to pad his stats some more. If he has a case for HHOF, then he's a freaking franchise player.

If theres a thread where Phil Kessel is being debated on whether or not he's a franchise player, than Jarome Iginla is a franchise player without a shadow of a doubt.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:02 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Datsyuk
Kovalchuk
Lidstrom
Chara
Luongo
Brodeur

no jumbo joe on the list? crazy!

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:34 PM
4rde

Quote:
If i had to name franchise player, first player that comes to my mind is Iginla.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Datsyuk
Kovalchuk
Lidstrom
Chara
Luongo
Brodeur

Nash has been a PPG player twice...

anyway, I think there are 5-10 Superstar-Elite players in the game, and 20+ Franchise players. Franchise player being someone who you team can build around, not necessarily best of the best.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
My criteria for a franchise player is tougher. It's not only a player you build a team around, but one that is actually around that team for most of their career. Thus, with my definition, hotshot young guys aren't franchise until they've earned the title. They can be superstars or cornerstones or pillars or what have you, but until they show that they are that team it's just an empty label.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
10-15
this is what I think too.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:23 PM
BostonAJ

Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin
Brodeur (gotta be nearing the end, tho)
Thornton
Kovalchuk

I think there's very few players that you could truly build a team around. Lidstrom was a franchise player, but those days may be over. We all knew he wasn't going to last forever. I'm on the fence about Iginla, Nash, and Datsyuk.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Mike Modano
Joe Sakic
Steve Yzerman

Guys who stay around for the long haul (in these cases, entire careers). The "face" of the franchise. As to who those players are now...these are the players I stack them up against.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Lomark

About 50% of the teams have one and some even have two so it's 15-30 for me. A franchise player is someone you build your team around. Some teams have better building blocks than others but they are still franchise players..

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 04:31 PM
ChroniK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
10-15
Yup.

Lidstrom
Luongo
Brodeur