HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Petr Sykora signs with Minnesota 1yr 1.6M

Old
09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
This is strange...Today, Sykora gave an interview to iDnes.cz and he speaks like he has signed 1 year contract. I don't know what to believe now...

RebelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 07:19 AM
sunbear

Like I said yesterday, he did. Maybe the club waits for him to pass some physical tests. But from that interview it's pretty clear he reached the deal already (for 1 year).

He would never decline Magni, Ufa and other offers for tryout in Minny.

sunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

I have always liked Petr Sykora since his days with Anaheim. He was a great addition at the time to the Pens, but his welcome had worn out. I wish him the very best in Minnesota and hopes he tears it up with Martin Havlat.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
llp

Sykora definitely wouldn't crack the Bruno - Koivu - Havlat line as it's already got some good chemistry going.

If Bouchard can center the second line, Sykora will be on a line with him and Miettinen. Otherwise he'll be all the way down on the 3rd line I'd bet.

llp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Bookman

vCash: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Brunette-Nolan-Sykora...if that line doesn't scream uptempo forecheck I don't know what does.

Although Nolan still moves pretty well - you'd want to lure Jason Allison back to really make that line sing.

Bookman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:29 AM
CPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Thing about Sykora is, he either has a good game or a horrible one. He's never anywhere in between. So you just hope for the best he has more of the former than the latter over 82 games.

Don't listen to this, this is just some new Cup Homer.
Sir

I was following the Pens when you were in Diapers. You probably wouldn't know Zalapski or Quin if they came up and bit you know on the ars. I have actually SKATED with Dennis Bonvie, have 3 pens tats and knew of Malkin and AO when they were 14. I was coach at Rock Ice in Dunnelen NJ and have met Kasatonov, Starikov, Fetisov, Kasaparitis, kovolev and yashin.

Please keep your comments to your self. Every one is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that Sykora is garbage.

CPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPZ View Post
I have actually SKATED with Dennis Bonvie
Oh, c'mon. Maybe you skated. I bet he just flailed before pulling your shirt over your head on instinct.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Tiranis

Definitely not a tryout, Sykora himself confirmed to the Czech media that it's a 1 year contract. I'm not sure why Michael Russo is considered more reliable than the player himself...

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:28 PM
radaich

We offered him a 1 year contract and he turned it down thats why he is on a try out but everyone in minny fully expects him to sign not sure why chuck is doing it this way

radaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's called hardball...

Rumor was Sykora wanted $2M, the Wild offered $1M, neither side called the bluff, so he was offered a tryout and maybe they'll split the middle at $1.5M.

I'm indifferent...it would be nice to have a 20 goal scorer, but we also don't expect to make the playoffs and need our young players to develop.

I'd guess the lines would be

Brunette - Koivu - Havlat
Sykora - Bouchard - Clutterbuck
Nolan - Sheppard - Miettinen
Pouliot/Boogaard - Belanger - Brodziak

Although Brodziak is much better than Shep at faceoffs, so maybe he moves to the middle. Who knows...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:15 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Sir

I was following the Pens when you were in Diapers. You probably wouldn't know Zalapski or Quin if they came up and bit you know on the ars. I have actually SKATED with Dennis Bonvie, have 3 pens tats and knew of Malkin and AO when they were 14. I was coach at Rock Ice in Dunnelen NJ and have met Kasatonov, Starikov, Fetisov, Kasaparitis, kovolev and yashin.

Please keep your comments to your self. Every one is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that Sykora is garbage.
Well that settles it, folks, he has Pens tats!

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

To be honest, I hope he makes it, I think the Wild need some more scoring on their part. They are fine defensively and in net, but they need someone like Sykora to help the team score more.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Bambi on Ice

Send a message via AIM to Bambi on Ice
Quote:

It's so hard to be both a Pens fan and a Sykora fan these days... sigh.

I'll be glad to see he hasn't left for the KHL. Woot!

Bambi on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Brunette, Koivu, Havlat
Sykora, Belanger, Bouchard
Miettinen, Sheppard, Nolan
Pouliot, Brodziak, Clutterbuck

Schultz, Burns
Johnsson, Zidlicky
Zanon, Hindy

Backstrom
Harding

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:32 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
Brunette, Koivu, Havlat
Sykora, Belanger, Bouchard
Miettinen, Sheppard, Nolan
Pouliot, Brodziak, Clutterbuck

Schultz, Burns
Johnsson, Zidlicky
Zanon, Hindy

Backstrom
Harding

Sheppard will be splitting time as #2 Center and Richards is already spoken that Benny will be given a lot of time on the 2nd line to see if he really can be an offensive threat. Obviously both of those players lines will depend greatly on how they perform, but they are being given the chance to shine at least. While I understand they are trying to fill the gaps as best they can with veterans, a Center is more important at this point because Bouchard and Sheppard don't really impress me at that spot yet

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:36 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Way to seize on the most pertinent detail.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:47 PM
clefty
What?

Oh it is. I mean, you can't possibly be a big time homer if you have a Penguin tattoo.

Hey, don't get me wrong. Meeting some Russian hockey players and skating next to Dennis Bonvie? I mean that instantly makes you a right and a non-homer. But the tat? Well, thats something else.

I mean, Christ, look at me? I wouldn't know 'Quin' [sic] if he bit me on the backside.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:07 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
from a MN point of view myself and some of the fans are Meh about this...not because sykora is garbage or useless, but because he isn't anything that is going to push us into a playoff spot. Add to that, he's a bit more aged and slower than the type of player we envisioned the new regime would be after. If it's a one year contract, big deal--though it does hurt (a little) our chances of wheeling and dealing later for someone that might work out well in the long run. Not many wild fans expect playoffs, nevermind playoff success, so what's another maybe 20 goal scorer for a year? Not at all saying we want to tank it, but I'd rather see someone like Gillies log minutes and build up NHL experience and have the extra money available if something falls in our lap.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:51 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
from a MN point of view myself and some of the fans are Meh about this...not because sykora is garbage or useless, but because he isn't anything that is going to push us into a playoff spot. Add to that, he's a bit more aged and slower than the type of player we envisioned the new regime would be after. If it's a one year contract, big deal--though it does hurt (a little) our chances of wheeling and dealing later for someone that might work out well in the long run. Not many wild fans expect playoffs, nevermind playoff success, so what's another maybe 20 goal scorer for a year? Not at all saying we want to tank it, but I'd rather see someone like Gillies log minutes and build up NHL experience and have the extra money available if something falls in our lap.
My reasoning for not wanting him has nothing to do with his age, health, or what his productivity would be. Its based 100% on the fact this team needs a confident #2 center to even compete within our division let alone the conference when it comes to the regular season. What if Bouchard is still in his funk? What if Sheppard really hasn't developed the way we need him to? What do we do?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Wildlife

I totally agree. While it'll be nice having another 20-goal scorer on the team I would almost rather have a young guy get NHL ice time and develop more. Also, it would leave room to trade at the deadline and build up some young talent and prospects.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Bullrun

Confirmed Signing

1 year ----- 1.6 mil

http://twitter.com/Russostrib

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:55 AM
radaich

If Russo is saying he's signed now I'll take his word for it. Are Second line all of a sudden as alot more offense on it

radaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:07 PM
llp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlife View Post
I totally agree. While it'll be nice having another 20-goal scorer on the team I would almost rather have a young guy get NHL ice time and develop more. Also, it would leave room to trade at the deadline and build up some young talent and prospects.
Yeah, I thought we had to many veterans cluttering up our lineup even before the signing. Hopefully some players like Miettinen and Belaner are being shopped now.

llp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:28 PM
NuxFan09

I thought I heard something about the coaching staff in Minny wanting to give Sheppard a crack at the #2 center spot. I am by no means a Wild fan but here's my best guess at the lines as it stands now:

Brunette-Koivu-Havlat
Bouchard-Sheppard-Sykora
Miettinen-Belanger-Nolan
Pouliot-Brodziak-Clutterbuck

I don't think Minnesota will be a powerhouse by any means but looking at that lineup there doesn't appear to be any stone hands pluggers. Everyone has a bit of skill so I'd think the Wild will be scoring by committee this year.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Quote:
Sir

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote