HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Dudley and his fetish for BIG MEN strikes again.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
They look like they're going for a playoff war ready team.
Not like a team that cares about the picks they project to be higher than 14...and really after 10 I say it's all luck of the draw.
Byf is a proven difference maker. What are the chances that the picks they give produce anything remotely close to what Byf did for the Hawks?

Please list the Dudley big team you're referring to and we'll see if they compare to ATLs list or not.
No, they don't compare. While these guys are a bit more skilled than the ones that were here (How do you not remember that???), the guys in Atlanta aren't going to get past Pitssburgh, Chicago, Washington, etc.

Tallon built Chicago through the draft, they JUST won the Cup, that's what he says he wants to do here. Again, why the heck are you so upset?

06-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
i nominate this for worst post of the year. whos with me?
im with you... just stupid and has no valid grounds to it....

and just, how can you get minus points when two other teams make a trade?!

Old
06-24-2010, 06:24 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

In theory, a guy like Buf would look great in a Panthers uniform. Add him, draft Guds and McIlrath and you certainly change the team dynamic. I could see why some people would be enamored of that concept. The Panthers would become a nasty team to play against.

In practice though, Atlanta gave up quite a bit for a guy who may or may not reproduce his playoff production in the regular season. (I have similar questions about Halak FWIW). How would he respond to the South Florida distractions? He would worry me.

As angry as some are about not getting him, I would have been equally angry had we given up the #15 pick to get him. Just my opinion.

Old
06-24-2010, 06:34 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Dudley is so fickle when it comes to prospects and young players. He has this disturbing need to move pieces around with little discipline to sticking to an overall plan other than to make his team bigger.

IMO, he works better when he has a GM to report to.

I don't doubt he improved Atlanta, but in no way does this moves make the Thrashers a monster to play against.

Old
06-24-2010, 09:27 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
No, they don't compare. While these guys are a bit more skilled than the ones that were here (How do you not remember that???), the guys in Atlanta aren't going to get past Pitssburgh, Chicago, Washington, etc.

Tallon built Chicago through the draft, they JUST won the Cup, that's what he says he wants to do here. Again, why the heck are you so upset?
I didn't say I don't remember, and even if I didn't wikipedia or something is available...but you obviously got the point.

I'm unhappy because not only did we get already get significantly worse than we already were, our division rival is banking. If we don't know it, they sure seem to.

Old
06-24-2010, 09:36 AM
FlaPanthers7

For those of you on the edge of your seats waiting for a trade, Tallon's not done yet:

Tallon said last week that he believes this is a deep draft, one in which the Panthers can really help themselves.

And Tallon is probably not done dealing. By the time the draft kicks off Friday night at Staples Center in Los Angeles, a few more players may be calling themselves ex-Panthers as Tallon continues to pile up draft picks like chips at a poker table. He has been in talks with other general managers around the league.

``People are just kicking the tires right now, but we're talking about all possibilities,'' Tallon said before the Horton trade went down. ``It would be nice for us to move up, maybe even drop back if we think we're getting the same player and adding assets. We're just looking at every possibility in trying to get depth at all positions as we try to challenge for that ultimate goal.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/2...#ixzz0rmV5o6fG

Old
06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Erick

I wanted Byfuglien here, but that's a lot to trade for him + salary dump players, for the most part.

Atlanta is pretty big now. They're not a Stanley Cup contender, though. Just knew CHIGoalie would say that, for some reason, however.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Georgia Panther

Marleau re-signs with SJ making this perhaps the worst free agent class in history.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325564

Old
06-24-2010, 11:07 AM
FlaPanthers7

Now on to Lombardi or bust.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Now on to Lombardi or bust.
After Kovo, the three best available UFA forwards are 38yo Ray Whitney, Lombardi and Jokinen. :barf: considering the lack of scoring line forwards in free agency will drive the price up on those 3. Makes you wonder if we got enough for Horton. I believe Jokinen goes from playing in the KHL or being a bread line free agent to actually signing a half way decent contract, $3mil+.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Acadmus

Don't know if it got mentioned, but a couple of league retirements worth noting. Rob Blake and Scott Niedermeyer have both officially hung 'em up.

06-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Biggzy*

So is there any consensus as to who came out on top with the CHI-ATL trade?

ATL definitely gave up a decent amount, but they just got a hell of a lot tougher to play against. And they're in our division.

Seems like Atlanta won this trade.

Old
06-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
So is there any consensus as to who came out on top with the CHI-ATL trade?

ATL definitely gave up a decent amount, but they just got a hell of a lot tougher to play against. And they're in our division.

Seems like Atlanta won this trade.
A lot of people thought Buff should have been playoff mvp. Atlanta just added him, a decent forechecking winger, a solid veteran defenseman, and a prospect for nothing. Good for them.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:56 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
A lot of people thought Buff should have been playoff mvp. Atlanta just added him, a decent forechecking winger, a solid veteran defenseman, and a prospect for nothing. Good for them.
For nothing? Buf is nothing more than a 3rd liner, who got lucky playing on lines with Hossa, Toews, Kane, and Sharp. I think Chicago got the better end of the deal, as I think Atlanta overpaid. Buf had a good playoff run, and that certainly helped Atlanta overpaying.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
They got fleeced, HARD. 1st and 2nd and Crabb for all that?

Old
06-24-2010, 02:02 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
They got fleeced, HARD. 1st and 2nd and Crabb for all that?
I agree. Way to much to give up for Buf.

Old
06-24-2010, 02:19 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Yea they got hosed big time.Not sure why they would do that? At 25 they could pick up a guy like Sheahan,Howden or Bennet bad trade imo. Initially I thought no team would pay Kovalchuck 7+ but now that Marleau is out I see potential teams willing to give him big bucks

Old
06-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
After Kovo, the three best available UFA forwards are 38yo Ray Whitney, Lombardi and Jokinen. :barf: considering the lack of scoring line forwards in free agency will drive the price up on those 3. Makes you wonder if we got enough for Horton. I believe Jokinen goes from playing in the KHL or being a bread line free agent to actually signing a half way decent contract, $3mil+.
No, it makes you realize how badly we need to build through the draft.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Atlanta got ripped off big time.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:16 PM
RainingRats

Nick Kypreos's twitter
2 top centres being shopped hard, Marc Savard and Jason Spezza. Remember any contract is moveable as long as its "money in, money out"

You have to wonder if Tallon traded Horton too soon and missed out on getting Spezza.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quick is available. Would love to see Vokoun in San Jose for a shot at the Cup with them and us bring in Quick. Like the idea of he and Markstrom.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Nick Kypreos's twitter
2 top centres being shopped hard, Marc Savard and Jason Spezza. Remember any contract is moveable as long as its "money in, money out"

You have to wonder if Tallon traded Horton too soon and missed out on getting Spezza.
I'm sure he checked out that possibility, Spez has been rumored to be on the move for awhile now.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:21 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
I'm sure he checked out that possibility, Spez has been rumored to be on the move for awhile now.
The rumor was never as strong as it was now. Regardless, I never saw a real rush to trade Horton. Tallon definitely could have waited till at least today.

Old
06-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
The rumor was never as strong as it was now. Regardless, I never saw a real rush to trade Horton. Tallon definitely could have waited till at least today.
It's a fine line. On the other hand, if you wait too long the other team might get a better offer somewhere else and back out of the deal. Tallon likely thought he had a very good offer and took it. I don't think he ever really wanted Spezza though, JMO. 7M for 5 years isn't really what he's looking to do here IMO.

Closed Thread