HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Great8Cam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
There better be something else significant coming with Berglund. Is this just a rumor or is a trade likely?

Since you're the insider on this board, what is the organization's reasoning for moving Weiss? He's our only good center, a good leader, has a great contract, and wants to stay here.
I did not say the org. is trying to move him. Come on lads - reading is fundamental, get hooked on phonics.

I said STL pushing hard for Weiss. STL wants him. Hopefully STL will be forced to give up more than Berglund.

I did laugh at the confetti post above.

Anyway, the talk for a few weeks now is that Weiss will be the next to go, if at all, and several teams are trying to get him.

Old
07-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
If the Panthers are seriously considering this, then maybe it's because they feel if they bomb another season then Weiss will want out. Or maybe just not sign any extension on his contract, which would have 2 years left at that point. I wouldn't blame him either. He said when asked a year ago that if the Panthers kept losing, it would eventually make him want to move on from Florida. So maybe get a replacement for him while his value is at it's highest, one's who's younger and has more years until UFA. That would basically ensure us dead last as well. It might sound far-fetched, but I think it's a possibility.

I agree though that more than Berglund would have to be coming back, obviously.
Good points. If it's going to take a couple years to really get competitive, then we're just wasting Weiss. Don't get me wrong, I love this kid. We've watched him his whole career, he's a leader and a great teammate. You can just say nothing bad about him.

To be honest, when we played really bad, I couldn't help but to think about blowing up the team. That included Horton & Weiss. So if Weiss is traded, I wouldn't be devastated. Granted, it's all rumors at this point, just saying.

-ghoste

Old
07-17-2010, 06:30 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
I did not say the org. is trying to move him. Come on lads - reading is fundamental, get hooked on phonics.

I said STL pushing hard for Weiss. STL wants him. Hopefully STL will be forced to give up more than Berglund.

I did laugh at the confetti post above.

Anyway, the talk for a few weeks now is that Weiss will be the next to go, if at all, and several teams are trying to get him.
No need to be jerky about it, he just interpreted as Weiss being possibly on the move and questioned the reasoning why the organization would trade him.

That being said, I could see the team going with a 100% youth movement, and Weiss, as much as we like him, is a part of the old regime. He's also one of the last holdovers from all the turnover & has endured 7 years of losing. Trading him essentially says we're looking for a top pick next year since Weiss will likely not be a Panther anyways when this team is ready to compete.

If this does go down, it should make for a very, very tough season. Then again it may be fun to watch the kids like Grabner, and maybe even Dadonov play.

Old
07-17-2010, 07:10 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Weiss being traded wouldn't shock me.

Old
07-17-2010, 07:19 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
No need to be jerky about it, he just interpreted as Weiss being possibly on the move and questioned the reasoning why the organization would trade him.

That being said, I could see the team going with a 100% youth movement, and Weiss, as much as we like him, is a part of the old regime. He's also one of the last holdovers from all the turnover & has endured 7 years of losing. Trading him essentially says we're looking for a top pick next year since Weiss will likely not be a Panther anyways when this team is ready to compete.

If this does go down, it should make for a very, very tough season. Then again it may be fun to watch the kids like Grabner, and maybe even Dadonov play.
Thank you. I just wasn't sure what the organization's thought process was. Obviously teams might just be kicking the tires and seeing how much acquiring Weiss would cost.

That being said, I'll be surprised if a team wants him so badly they'll overpay, since I have to imagine the price would be quite high for us to trade Weiss. Without his offense being replaced, I think we'd struggle to put up even 2 goals/game, and I don't think we'd even get 70 points this upcoming season.

Old
07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Kovy staying with the devils. Thank god that drama is over.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=327880

Old
07-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Boooooth10

I wonder what the damage is? I think it was a good move by the Kings for not taking him. They need that money to resign their youngins.

Old
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Oh thank goodness, now let the rest of the dominoes fall!

Old
07-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Gagne was just traded to Tampa. Kinda sucks, I guess, but he's injured a lot, which i why I wasn't overly wanting him here.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=800725

07-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Gagne was just traded to Tampa. Kinda sucks, I guess, but he's injured a lot, which i why I wasn't overly wanting him here.

I like him but the guy got injured just running into Bouwmeester and nothing happened to Jay, and we all know how much Jay injures people :p

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Old
07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
I like him but the guy got injured just running into Bouwmeester and nothing happened to Jay, and we all know how much Jay injures people :p
Yeah, well put. Dangerous lineup in Tampa, let's see how they do with it all.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Wow, great deal for the Lightning, Gagne went for Walker and a 4th.

I fully expect a lot of upset Panther fans to start coming in.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

lol, and someone wanted Yzerman to be our GM. I'm sorry, but how can they not recognize that defense isn't their most pressing need? I know they've added Ellis and Kubina since last year, but they also drafted Connolly and continue to add to their offense while neglecting that they've always been weakest on the back end.

It's like no matter who is there, it's the same, broken formula.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:42 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

So to recap...Byfuglien and Gagne were available...

Why doesn't our team look as dangerous as the rest of the southeast?

We easily look like weakest team in the east. By a mile.

How do they have the nerve to ask for money in advance to see this (adjective)?

Hey Laus, how'd you know I was comin???

Old
07-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
lol, and someone wanted Yzerman to be our GM. I'm sorry, but how can they not recognize that defense isn't their most pressing need? I know they've added Ellis and Kubina since last year, but they also drafted Connolly and continue to add to their offense while neglecting that they've always been weakest on the back end.

Yeah, I'm really not too concerned. I mean, that's a lethal forward core, but that defense isn't very good. Kubina's underrated, but Gagne has a really hard time staying healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post

Buff and Gagne are completely different players.

Of course we look like a weak team...we are. It's in the process of being fixed, it's not going to be fixed in just one off-season. We've been saying that for years, but we finally have a GM who seems to understand that.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:45 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post

he got simon gagne for matt walker (who is god-awful) and a fourth round pick.

and you're scoffing at his performance?

where the hell was tallon on this one? anyone clamoring that we missed out on byfuglien is just complaining for the sake of complaining as atlanta was taken to the cleaners - but matt walker and a fourth for a top-line winger? seriously? we couldn't offer up a 3rd?

Old
07-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post

Hey Laus, how'd you know I was comin???
...Because that's the plan?

Old
07-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post

where the hell was tallon on this one? anyone clamoring that we missed out on byfuglien is just complaining for the sake of complaining as atlanta was taken to the cleaners - but matt walker and a fourth for a top-line winger? seriously? we couldn't offer up a 3rd?
Certainly great value, not arguing at all there. Kudos to him. His defense still sucks and his goaltending is "ok". The best offense in the world won't win ****.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:51 PM
FlaPanthers7

Apparently Tampa thinks they are going to outscore everyone. It is a dangerous top 6, no doubt.

Panthers are playing for the top overall pick, so I'm not disappointed anymore. It's abundantly clear this year's team will not be "competitive," as Tallon as said, for anything but a top pick next year. At least the writing is clearly on the wall now.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
meh pass on gagne.. this team isn't in the situation to add a gagne now. It's gonna be a learning season like it or not. Only chance we make playoffs our players finally start playing like a team night in night out. I'd rather have a rookie playing top 6 than gagne. Gagne really wouldn't make that much difference on this team. We got so many holes they can't be fixed via trade or free agency in nowadays NHL. The fixes have to come within our own draft picks.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Apparently Tampa thinks they are going to outscore everyone. It is a dangerous top 6, no doubt.

Panthers are playing for the top overall pick, so I'm not disappointed anymore. It's abundantly clear this year's team will not be "competitive," as Tallon as said, for anything but a top pick next year. At least the writing is clearly on the wall now.
Yes, but the guys that are left and new must grow into a team next season. If they can do that early on I think they could surprise us

Old
07-19-2010, 01:59 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Gange was cheeeap for the TB. And we couldn't match that? Guess Tallon wasn't interested. TB is looking good now and we will have a tough year infront of us I guess.

Old
07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:

I'd rather this organization try and outscore teams. All we've done for years is try and get a one goal lead, sit on the lead, only to blow it in the 3rd period. For that type of value, we should have gone after Gagne.

At this point, I think it's clear we're the worst team in the Southeast. And if we have any injuries at all to our top 6 or to a veteran d-man like McCabe or Wideman, I think we're the worst team in the entire NHL.

Old
07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I'd wager the drama isn't over.. A 17-year deal?!? I'd have to imagine that it's going to be shot down by the league as circumventing the salary cap.

Old
07-19-2010, 02:57 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post

Gagne was not going to arbitrarily waive his NTC just to come to FLA. He probably wanted to play with VL4 and MSL on a team that he had some solid connections. It's not so cut-and-paste simple as to why we *missed* out on Gags. Besides his contract expires at the end of this year, he's on the wrong side of 30 and will be commanding a contract of about $5M(this is all neglecting the fact that he probably would NOT waive his NTC to be here).

Closed Thread