HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2010, 03:10 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
It's all a part of the plan. We're pretty much guaranteed 6 losses next year. We're on our way to 1st overall.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:14 PM
panthersfan751

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
It's all a part of the plan. We're pretty much guaranteed 6 losses next year. We're on our way to 1st overall.
At this point I think we'll struggle to win 30 games and get more than 70 points.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:16 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Gagne was not going to arbitrarily waive his NTC just to come to FLA. He probably wanted to play with VL4 and MSL on a team that he had some solid connections. It's not so cut-and-paste simple as to why we *missed* out on Gags. Besides his contract expires at the end of this year, he's on the wrong side of 30 and will be commanding a contract of about $5M(this is all neglecting the fact that he probably would NOT waive his NTC to be here).
How dare you exhibit your foul logicks in this place.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
PanthersRule96

I love people on here being like "oh it's okay, he's always hurt, whatever."

The guy is a legit first line player and better than any player we've had since Pavel Bure on offense. Clearly we're trying to suck next year but Tallon can't openly come out and say that. His plan might work great if we get the first overall like they did in Chicago.

Gagne is a stud and he's fun to watch. I'm living in Tampa the next four years so at least it'll be exciting to see their games even if I'm a panthers fan. With our team, why would anyone want to watch our team aside from the fact that they're a die-hard fan? No exciting players except for a phenomenal goalie. It'd be like watching the heat minus Wade with guys like Cook, Beasley, Wright, Chalmers, etc..., a bunch of young guys that may or may not take the next step.

Great pickup by Tampa, their powerplay will be disgusting.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post

The guy is a legit first line player and better than any player we've had since Pavel Bure on offense. Clearly we're trying to suck next year but Tallon can't openly come out and say that. His plan might work great if we get the first overall like they did in Chicago.

Gagne is a stud and he's fun to watch. I'm living in Tampa the next four years so at least it'll be exciting to see their games even if I'm a panthers fan. With our team, why would anyone want to watch our team aside from the fact that they're a die-hard fan? No exciting players except for a phenomenal goalie. It'd be like watching the heat minus Wade with guys like Cook, Beasley, Wright, Chalmers, etc..., a bunch of young guys that may or may not take the next step.

I agree that gagne's got more talent than the majority of the players who've played on Panthers in the past ten years, but it doesn't mean playoffs for the bolts. Yeah, they will probably score more, but you can score ten and let ten in as well. TB's defense isn't solid by any means and goaltending has been a joke ever since the lockout. Mason is going to see a lot of rubber next season. We'll see how he handles it. Best case scenario for the bolts = gagne sparks overall offense/ powerplay .. Worst case scenario for the bolts gagne = tanguay 2.0

PS.. gagne wouldn't help the panthers if he was a panther next season

Old
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
I agree that Gagne's got more talent than the majority of the players who've played on Panthers in the past ten years, but it doesn't mean playoffs for the bolts. Yeah, they will probably score more, but you can score ten and let ten in as well. TB's defense isn't solid by any means and goaltending has been a joke ever since the lockout. Mason is going to see a lot of rubber next season. We'll see how he handles it.
Erm. I think Smitty is going to be seeing the majority of those shots with Dan Ellis backing him up.

ATL has Chris Mason.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Erm. I think Smitty is going to be seeing the majority of those shots with Dan Ellis backing him up.

ATL has Chris Mason.
True. I got my s**ty southeast teams mixed up. My fault.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

Uhm...he IS always injured and I literally haven't wanted him since it's been rumored that he was available. He is a good player, one that's always injured, sounds like what's plagued the team for how long? Injuries anyway?

07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Acadmus

So how much is Kovy making on his new deal with the Devils?

07-19-2010, 05:09 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
So how much is Kovy making on his new deal with the Devils?
6M per. 102 in total.

Old
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
6M per. 102 in total.
Over 17 YEARS. Can you say retirement plan?
Just a thought, If we only play the Canes and Rangers next season there is a good chance we make the playoffs. You think Bettman will go for it? I didn't want to think we would be guaranteed bottom-feeders but too many teams have gotten better and the Kovy and Gagne signings are the icing on the cake. Hell even Toronto is better and they haven't done the Kaberle trade yet. It hurts to say it but sign me up for a tank ticket.

Old
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
6M per. 102 in total.
Talk about circumventing the cap! I read somewhere his salary drops to a ridiculously low amount in the last years, but I still cannot believe Lou did this type of contract.

Old
07-19-2010, 07:14 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Uhm...he IS always injured and I literally haven't wanted him since it's been rumored that he was available. He is a good player, one that's always injured, sounds like what's plagued the team for how long? Injuries anyway?
First off, we're never going to get out of this rebuild unless we take risks. You simply aren't going to get a player who is completely healthy, of Gagne's talent level for anything less than a king's ransom. In Gagne's case, he was had for a song. It'd be like trading a lesser version of Bryan Allen and a 4th rounder for a star offensive player who has name recognition and who would be someone to come see play for the Panthers.

Look at his career stats. He's had a bad patch the last few seasons with regard to injuries but only 3 seasons out of his 10 year career has he missed substantial time. The other 7 seasons, he's played almost 70 or more games and put up great numbers. I'd rather not have Gagne on the team if the mission is to get the 1st overall, but if they're actually pushing for the 8th like they pretend to be, Gagne would have helped a ton. There's no guarantee he stays healthy, but there's also no guarantee that he'd be injured. Hockey's a rough sport and anyone can get hurt at any given time (Horton via Seids, Boothx2, etc..). Gagne for such a ridiculously low price would have made sense for our team starved of offense, but I doubt Tallon had the financial flexibility even available

Old
07-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
I don't care about Gagne. If he can help Tampa get more points than us... great! That's one less team to worry about.

-ghoste

Old
07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
First off, we're never going to get out of this rebuild unless we take risks. You simply aren't going to get a player who is completely healthy, of Gagne's talent level for anything less than a king's ransom. In Gagne's case, he was had for a song. It'd be like trading a lesser version of Bryan Allen and a 4th rounder for a star offensive player who has name recognition and who would be someone to come see play for the Panthers.

Look at his career stats. He's had a bad patch the last few seasons with regard to injuries but only 3 seasons out of his 10 year career has he missed substantial time. The other 7 seasons, he's played almost 70 or more games and put up great numbers. I'd rather not have Gagne on the team if the mission is to get the 1st overall, but if they're actually pushing for the 8th like they pretend to be, Gagne would have helped a ton. There's no guarantee he stays healthy, but there's also no guarantee that he'd be injured. Hockey's a rough sport and anyone can get hurt at any given time (Horton via Seids, Boothx2, etc..). Gagne for such a ridiculously low price would have made sense for our team starved of offense, but I doubt Tallon had the financial flexibility even available
Gagne had a NTC. Chances were ultra-slim he'd waive that NTC to come to a Panther team in rebuild mode.

Old
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Laus723
Future Now

For everyone griping about us not getting Gagne when TBL got him for so cheap, here's apparently why: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=800842

Old
07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Gagne was not going to arbitrarily waive his NTC just to come to FLA. He probably wanted to play with VL4 and MSL on a team that he had some solid connections. It's not so cut-and-paste simple as to why we *missed* out on Gags. Besides his contract expires at the end of this year, he's on the wrong side of 30 and will be commanding a contract of about $5M(this is all neglecting the fact that he probably would NOT waive his NTC to be here).
Yeah, 2 things people are missing:

1) Gagne has a ntc and it seems like he only wanted to go to Tampa of all the teams that inquired about him, thus how Tampa got him dirt cheap.

2)We probably couldn't afford to bring on his salary.

Old
07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
I don't care about Gagne. If he can help Tampa get more points than us... great! That's one less team to worry about.

-ghoste
I concur lol. Our main contenders in the tankoffs IMO remain the Oilers, Canes and Isles. I have a good feeling about the Canes though.

Old
07-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Talk about circumventing the cap! I read somewhere his salary drops to a ridiculously low amount in the last years, but I still cannot believe Lou did this type of contract.
Here's the breakdown. If the league doesn't jump all over this one, they're complicit.

Kovalchuk will earn $6 million each of the next two seasons, $11.5 million for the following five seasons, $10.5 million in the 2017-18 season, $8.5 million for the 2018-19 season, $6.5 million in 2019-20, $3.5 million in 2020-21, $750,000 the following season, and $550,000 for the final five years of the unprecedented deal.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Here's the breakdown. If the league doesn't jump all over this one, they're complicit.

Kovalchuk will earn $6 million each of the next two seasons, $11.5 million for the following five seasons, $10.5 million in the 2017-18 season, $8.5 million for the 2018-19 season, $6.5 million in 2019-20, $3.5 million in 2020-21, $750,000 the following season, and $550,000 for the final five years of the unprecedented deal.
The league wont do anything about it because they havent done anything about similar deals that have been signed already. The last 4 yrs of Hossa's contract are $1 million in 2017-18 and 2018-19 and then goes down to $750K also for the last 2 yrs of that deal. Savard signed a similar extension ($525K for the last 2 yrs of it). Luongo also signed an extension where the last 2 yrs he's paid just $1M per each season.

I figured it was only a matter of time before GMs started to figure out the loopholes in the CBA. But I'm sure the league is paying attention though and will make sure when the next CBA is negotiated that they look to fix loopholes like that.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
The league wont do anything about it because they havent done anything about similar deals that have been signed already.

The NHL just rejected the contract.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328025

Old
07-20-2010, 08:55 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post

Funny, I was thinking if they don't reject this contract then the CBA is a joke.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:04 PM
PanthersRule96

I find it pretty hilarious that they rejected it, as they should. That contract is idiotic based on the payouts.

Old
07-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post

And the PA will file a grievance and the arbitration will be ruled in favor of Kovy and the Devils. Its pretty simple that there's at least 3-4 similar examples of deals that the league didnt reject...Savard, Hossa, Pronger, and Luongo. I seriously doubt any of those 4 guys are playing in the league at 42 yrs old and most of those teams signed those deals to lower the cap with the exact same expectation that those players probably wont be playing at that point. The league screwed up by not rejecting those other contracts first and now they're going to look bad in this I think.

Old
07-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
And the PA will file a grievance and the arbitration will be ruled in favor of Kovy and the Devils. Its pretty simple that there's at least 3-4 similar examples of deals that the league didnt reject...Savard, Hossa, Pronger, and Luongo. I seriously doubt any of those 4 guys are playing in the league at 42 yrs old and most of those teams signed those deals to lower the cap with the exact same expectation that those players probably wont be playing at that point. The league screwed up by not rejecting those other contracts first and now they're going to look bad in this I think.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Wondering how they could reject this when they didn't reject the others.

Closed Thread