HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2010, 03:10 PM
  #801
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 13,938
vCash: 117
It's all a part of the plan. We're pretty much guaranteed 6 losses next year. We're on our way to 1st overall.

StrangeVision is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 03:14 PM
  #802
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
It's all a part of the plan. We're pretty much guaranteed 6 losses next year. We're on our way to 1st overall.
At this point I think we'll struggle to win 30 games and get more than 70 points.

panthersfan751 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 03:16 PM
  #803
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Gagne was not going to arbitrarily waive his NTC just to come to FLA. He probably wanted to play with VL4 and MSL on a team that he had some solid connections. It's not so cut-and-paste simple as to why we *missed* out on Gags. Besides his contract expires at the end of this year, he's on the wrong side of 30 and will be commanding a contract of about $5M(this is all neglecting the fact that he probably would NOT waive his NTC to be here).
How dare you exhibit your foul logicks in this place.

angry_treefrog is online now  
Old
07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
  #804
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 500
I love people on here being like "oh it's okay, he's always hurt, whatever."

The guy is a legit first line player and better than any player we've had since Pavel Bure on offense. Clearly we're trying to suck next year but Tallon can't openly come out and say that. His plan might work great if we get the first overall like they did in Chicago.

Gagne is a stud and he's fun to watch. I'm living in Tampa the next four years so at least it'll be exciting to see their games even if I'm a panthers fan. With our team, why would anyone want to watch our team aside from the fact that they're a die-hard fan? No exciting players except for a phenomenal goalie. It'd be like watching the heat minus Wade with guys like Cook, Beasley, Wright, Chalmers, etc..., a bunch of young guys that may or may not take the next step.

Great pickup by Tampa, their powerplay will be disgusting.

PanthersRule96 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
  #805
Hip to be Square
 
Hip to be Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
I love people on here being like "oh it's okay, he's always hurt, whatever."

The guy is a legit first line player and better than any player we've had since Pavel Bure on offense. Clearly we're trying to suck next year but Tallon can't openly come out and say that. His plan might work great if we get the first overall like they did in Chicago.

Gagne is a stud and he's fun to watch. I'm living in Tampa the next four years so at least it'll be exciting to see their games even if I'm a panthers fan. With our team, why would anyone want to watch our team aside from the fact that they're a die-hard fan? No exciting players except for a phenomenal goalie. It'd be like watching the heat minus Wade with guys like Cook, Beasley, Wright, Chalmers, etc..., a bunch of young guys that may or may not take the next step.

Great pickup by Tampa, their powerplay will be disgusting.
I agree that gagne's got more talent than the majority of the players who've played on Panthers in the past ten years, but it doesn't mean playoffs for the bolts. Yeah, they will probably score more, but you can score ten and let ten in as well. TB's defense isn't solid by any means and goaltending has been a joke ever since the lockout. Mason is going to see a lot of rubber next season. We'll see how he handles it. Best case scenario for the bolts = gagne sparks overall offense/ powerplay .. Worst case scenario for the bolts gagne = tanguay 2.0

PS.. gagne wouldn't help the panthers if he was a panther next season

Hip to be Square is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
  #806
TimHortons
Gud Night
 
TimHortons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
I agree that Gagne's got more talent than the majority of the players who've played on Panthers in the past ten years, but it doesn't mean playoffs for the bolts. Yeah, they will probably score more, but you can score ten and let ten in as well. TB's defense isn't solid by any means and goaltending has been a joke ever since the lockout. Mason is going to see a lot of rubber next season. We'll see how he handles it.
Erm. I think Smitty is going to be seeing the majority of those shots with Dan Ellis backing him up.

ATL has Chris Mason.

TimHortons is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 03:40 PM
  #807
Hip to be Square
 
Hip to be Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Erm. I think Smitty is going to be seeing the majority of those shots with Dan Ellis backing him up.

ATL has Chris Mason.
True. I got my s**ty southeast teams mixed up. My fault.


Hip to be Square is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 03:58 PM
  #808
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
I love people on here being like "oh it's okay, he's always hurt, whatever."

The guy is a legit first line player and better than any player we've had since Pavel Bure on offense. Clearly we're trying to suck next year but Tallon can't openly come out and say that. His plan might work great if we get the first overall like they did in Chicago.

Gagne is a stud and he's fun to watch. I'm living in Tampa the next four years so at least it'll be exciting to see their games even if I'm a panthers fan. With our team, why would anyone want to watch our team aside from the fact that they're a die-hard fan? No exciting players except for a phenomenal goalie. It'd be like watching the heat minus Wade with guys like Cook, Beasley, Wright, Chalmers, etc..., a bunch of young guys that may or may not take the next step.

Great pickup by Tampa, their powerplay will be disgusting.
Uhm...he IS always injured and I literally haven't wanted him since it's been rumored that he was available. He is a good player, one that's always injured, sounds like what's plagued the team for how long? Injuries anyway?

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is online now  
Old
07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
  #809
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
So how much is Kovy making on his new deal with the Devils?

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 05:09 PM
  #810
TimHortons
Gud Night
 
TimHortons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
So how much is Kovy making on his new deal with the Devils?
6M per. 102 in total.

TimHortons is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
  #811
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,483
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
6M per. 102 in total.
Over 17 YEARS. Can you say retirement plan?
Just a thought, If we only play the Canes and Rangers next season there is a good chance we make the playoffs. You think Bettman will go for it? I didn't want to think we would be guaranteed bottom-feeders but too many teams have gotten better and the Kovy and Gagne signings are the icing on the cake. Hell even Toronto is better and they haven't done the Kaberle trade yet. It hurts to say it but sign me up for a tank ticket.

JP Mick is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
  #812
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
6M per. 102 in total.
Talk about circumventing the cap! I read somewhere his salary drops to a ridiculously low amount in the last years, but I still cannot believe Lou did this type of contract.

FlaPanthers7 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 07:14 PM
  #813
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Uhm...he IS always injured and I literally haven't wanted him since it's been rumored that he was available. He is a good player, one that's always injured, sounds like what's plagued the team for how long? Injuries anyway?
First off, we're never going to get out of this rebuild unless we take risks. You simply aren't going to get a player who is completely healthy, of Gagne's talent level for anything less than a king's ransom. In Gagne's case, he was had for a song. It'd be like trading a lesser version of Bryan Allen and a 4th rounder for a star offensive player who has name recognition and who would be someone to come see play for the Panthers.

Look at his career stats. He's had a bad patch the last few seasons with regard to injuries but only 3 seasons out of his 10 year career has he missed substantial time. The other 7 seasons, he's played almost 70 or more games and put up great numbers. I'd rather not have Gagne on the team if the mission is to get the 1st overall, but if they're actually pushing for the 8th like they pretend to be, Gagne would have helped a ton. There's no guarantee he stays healthy, but there's also no guarantee that he'd be injured. Hockey's a rough sport and anyone can get hurt at any given time (Horton via Seids, Boothx2, etc..). Gagne for such a ridiculously low price would have made sense for our team starved of offense, but I doubt Tallon had the financial flexibility even available

PanthersRule96 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 07:23 PM
  #814
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian
 
Ghoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,924
vCash: 835
I don't care about Gagne. If he can help Tampa get more points than us... great! That's one less team to worry about.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
  #815
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,383
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
First off, we're never going to get out of this rebuild unless we take risks. You simply aren't going to get a player who is completely healthy, of Gagne's talent level for anything less than a king's ransom. In Gagne's case, he was had for a song. It'd be like trading a lesser version of Bryan Allen and a 4th rounder for a star offensive player who has name recognition and who would be someone to come see play for the Panthers.

Look at his career stats. He's had a bad patch the last few seasons with regard to injuries but only 3 seasons out of his 10 year career has he missed substantial time. The other 7 seasons, he's played almost 70 or more games and put up great numbers. I'd rather not have Gagne on the team if the mission is to get the 1st overall, but if they're actually pushing for the 8th like they pretend to be, Gagne would have helped a ton. There's no guarantee he stays healthy, but there's also no guarantee that he'd be injured. Hockey's a rough sport and anyone can get hurt at any given time (Horton via Seids, Boothx2, etc..). Gagne for such a ridiculously low price would have made sense for our team starved of offense, but I doubt Tallon had the financial flexibility even available
Gagne had a NTC. Chances were ultra-slim he'd waive that NTC to come to a Panther team in rebuild mode.

ratmanfu is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
  #816
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,625
vCash: 500
For everyone griping about us not getting Gagne when TBL got him for so cheap, here's apparently why: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=800842

Laus723 is online now  
Old
07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
  #817
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Gagne was not going to arbitrarily waive his NTC just to come to FLA. He probably wanted to play with VL4 and MSL on a team that he had some solid connections. It's not so cut-and-paste simple as to why we *missed* out on Gags. Besides his contract expires at the end of this year, he's on the wrong side of 30 and will be commanding a contract of about $5M(this is all neglecting the fact that he probably would NOT waive his NTC to be here).
Yeah, 2 things people are missing:

1) Gagne has a ntc and it seems like he only wanted to go to Tampa of all the teams that inquired about him, thus how Tampa got him dirt cheap.

2)We probably couldn't afford to bring on his salary.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
  #818
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
I don't care about Gagne. If he can help Tampa get more points than us... great! That's one less team to worry about.

-ghoste
I concur lol. Our main contenders in the tankoffs IMO remain the Oilers, Canes and Isles. I have a good feeling about the Canes though.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 07:36 PM
  #819
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Talk about circumventing the cap! I read somewhere his salary drops to a ridiculously low amount in the last years, but I still cannot believe Lou did this type of contract.
Here's the breakdown. If the league doesn't jump all over this one, they're complicit.

Kovalchuk will earn $6 million each of the next two seasons, $11.5 million for the following five seasons, $10.5 million in the 2017-18 season, $8.5 million for the 2018-19 season, $6.5 million in 2019-20, $3.5 million in 2020-21, $750,000 the following season, and $550,000 for the final five years of the unprecedented deal.

Desert Panther is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 08:50 PM
  #820
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Here's the breakdown. If the league doesn't jump all over this one, they're complicit.

Kovalchuk will earn $6 million each of the next two seasons, $11.5 million for the following five seasons, $10.5 million in the 2017-18 season, $8.5 million for the 2018-19 season, $6.5 million in 2019-20, $3.5 million in 2020-21, $750,000 the following season, and $550,000 for the final five years of the unprecedented deal.
The league wont do anything about it because they havent done anything about similar deals that have been signed already. The last 4 yrs of Hossa's contract are $1 million in 2017-18 and 2018-19 and then goes down to $750K also for the last 2 yrs of that deal. Savard signed a similar extension ($525K for the last 2 yrs of it). Luongo also signed an extension where the last 2 yrs he's paid just $1M per each season.

I figured it was only a matter of time before GMs started to figure out the loopholes in the CBA. But I'm sure the league is paying attention though and will make sure when the next CBA is negotiated that they look to fix loopholes like that.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 08:52 PM
  #821
Boooooth10
Registered User
 
Boooooth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
The league wont do anything about it because they havent done anything about similar deals that have been signed already.

The NHL just rejected the contract.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328025

Boooooth10 is online now  
Old
07-20-2010, 08:55 PM
  #822
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
The NHL just rejected the contract.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328025
Funny, I was thinking if they don't reject this contract then the CBA is a joke.

FlaPanthers7 is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 09:04 PM
  #823
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 500
I find it pretty hilarious that they rejected it, as they should. That contract is idiotic based on the payouts.

PanthersRule96 is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 09:10 AM
  #824
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
The NHL just rejected the contract.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328025
And the PA will file a grievance and the arbitration will be ruled in favor of Kovy and the Devils. Its pretty simple that there's at least 3-4 similar examples of deals that the league didnt reject...Savard, Hossa, Pronger, and Luongo. I seriously doubt any of those 4 guys are playing in the league at 42 yrs old and most of those teams signed those deals to lower the cap with the exact same expectation that those players probably wont be playing at that point. The league screwed up by not rejecting those other contracts first and now they're going to look bad in this I think.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 09:21 AM
  #825
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
And the PA will file a grievance and the arbitration will be ruled in favor of Kovy and the Devils. Its pretty simple that there's at least 3-4 similar examples of deals that the league didnt reject...Savard, Hossa, Pronger, and Luongo. I seriously doubt any of those 4 guys are playing in the league at 42 yrs old and most of those teams signed those deals to lower the cap with the exact same expectation that those players probably wont be playing at that point. The league screwed up by not rejecting those other contracts first and now they're going to look bad in this I think.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Wondering how they could reject this when they didn't reject the others.

Rattrick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.