HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2010, 09:35 AM
  #826
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
And the PA will file a grievance and the arbitration will be ruled in favor of Kovy and the Devils. Its pretty simple that there's at least 3-4 similar examples of deals that the league didnt reject...Savard, Hossa, Pronger, and Luongo. I seriously doubt any of those 4 guys are playing in the league at 42 yrs old and most of those teams signed those deals to lower the cap with the exact same expectation that those players probably wont be playing at that point. The league screwed up by not rejecting those other contracts first and now they're going to look bad in this I think.
Possibly, but the fact that this contract is 5 years longer than any of those, I believe, and so heavily front-stacked, with the years in which he definitely won't be playing any longer being for such small amounts, I'd like to think some common sense would prevail - it's clearly a blatant move to get around the cap. Violate the intent of the rules without actually breaking the rules.

But, as you said, the league may have screwed themselves here, unless they're looking at players like Chelios, Fetisov, Hasek, etc. and said "okay, we'll allow that some players push on over the age of 40 for a few seasons, but near to 50 is pushing it". However, as we know courts are usually concerned with the exact letter of the law instead of the intent of a law, and contracts are governed by the same principles. So yeah, Kovy and the Devils will probably win, the path around the cap will be set, and we'll end up with another lockout in 2013.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 11:33 AM
  #827
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,744
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Possibly, but the fact that this contract is 5 years longer than any of those, I believe, and so heavily front-stacked, with the years in which he definitely won't be playing any longer being for such small amounts, I'd like to think some common sense would prevail - it's clearly a blatant move to get around the cap. Violate the intent of the rules without actually breaking the rules.

But, as you said, the league may have screwed themselves here, unless they're looking at players like Chelios, Fetisov, Hasek, etc. and said "okay, we'll allow that some players push on over the age of 40 for a few seasons, but near to 50 is pushing it". However, as we know courts are usually concerned with the exact letter of the law instead of the intent of a law, and contracts are governed by the same principles. So yeah, Kovy and the Devils will probably win, the path around the cap will be set, and we'll end up with another lockout in 2013.
Luckily this wont exactly being going to court but arbitration. Slightly different process but the burden of proof is still on the NHL. Really, who's to say that Kovalchuk cant play until 44 when Mike Keane only just retired at the age of 43. They'd have to prove that Kovalchuk doesnt plan to play for the Devils organization by the end of that deal when he could play out the last 4 yrs of that deal in the minors for the Devils affiliate. His pay in those last 4 yrs would be fair for a veteran minor leaguer with yrs of service with that organization IMO. I seriously doubt the Devils would've done this deal if they didnt think they could win in an arbitration type of case but its technically up to the NHLPA at this point to file the grievance.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
  #828
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Luckily this wont exactly being going to court but arbitration.
Didn't mean to suggest it was - just relating that it's all likely handled by lawyers, so the approach will likely be the same.

The only thing the NHL has going for them is that the deals they've approved already that would raise comparisons on age - Pronger and Hossa - both expire when they're 42. So perhaps the arbitrator would find that the last two years have to be trimmed off the contract, which would raise the cap hit a bit. But we'll see.

Acadmus is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 03:24 PM
  #829
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Oh, God - the Lightning acquired Gagne from the Flyers - and no one here noticed?!?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...lightningtrade

I'm starting to lose confidence in Tallon.

EDIT: nevermind, guess I missed the conversation on this.


Last edited by Acadmus: 07-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Acadmus is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 03:37 PM
  #830
Boooooth10
Registered User
 
Boooooth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
I'm starting to lose confidence in Tallon.
Why? Gagne had a NTC and would only waive it to go to Tampa. I don't think he would waive it to come here anyways.

Boooooth10 is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
  #831
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Oh, God - the Lightning acquired Gagne from the Flyers - and no one here noticed?!?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...lightningtrade

I'm starting to lose confidence in Tallon.

EDIT: nevermind, guess I missed the conversation on this.
Competent monitoring!

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 06:44 PM
  #832
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 120
LOL, I know I had to check the date on the post about Gagne thinking it was yesterday.

JP Mick is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
  #833
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Oh, God - the Lightning acquired Gagne from the Flyers - and no one here noticed?!?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...lightningtrade

I'm starting to lose confidence in Tallon.

EDIT: nevermind, guess I missed the conversation on this.
ABSENTEE MODERATOR ALERT!!! ABSENTEE MODERATOR ALERT!!! WOOOP WOOOP WOOOP!!!

Clint is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 07:26 PM
  #834
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
ABSENTEE MODERATOR ALERT!!! ABSENTEE MODERATOR ALERT!!! WOOOP WOOOP WOOOP!!!
I didn't think mods got vacations.

Laus723 is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 07:58 PM
  #835
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Oh, God - the Lightning acquired Gagne from the Flyers - and no one here noticed?!?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...lightningtrade

I'm starting to lose confidence in Tallon.

EDIT: nevermind, guess I missed the conversation on this.
Congratulations! I think a future career at the Securities & Exchange Commission awaits you.

angry_treefrog is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 08:09 AM
  #836
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
ABSENTEE MODERATOR ALERT!!! ABSENTEE MODERATOR ALERT!!! WOOOP WOOOP WOOOP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Congratulations! I think a future career at the Securities & Exchange Commission awaits you.
Just remember - the SEC didn't get punished...the entire economy did. So I guess the analogy here is that if you all get out of line, I'll hammer the entire board with restrictive rules that make it nearly impossible for you to post unless you're giving me kickbacks

Acadmus is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 08:10 AM
  #837
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I didn't think mods got vacations.
We don't get paid - so we go on vacation whenever we damn well want to, thank you very much. I rely on random intervention and your post histories to keep you all in line

Acadmus is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 08:28 AM
  #838
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Just remember - the SEC didn't get punished...the entire economy did. So I guess the analogy here is that if you all get out of line, I'll hammer the entire board with restrictive rules that make it nearly impossible for you to post unless you're giving me kickbacks
Do I smell a politically charged post here on HF? Alack, my dear moderator! If it were a poster by any other name I do believe the banhammer would be dropped!

Clint is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
  #839
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Do I smell a politically charged post here on HF? Alack, my dear moderator! If it were a poster by any other name I do believe the banhammer would be dropped!
There's nothing political about simple facts. And everything was in a vague analogy intended merely to convey what I'm going to do to all of you animals should you get out of line

Acadmus is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
  #840
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 120
Is anyone else annoyed that the upcoming nhl winter classic features the Penguins again?? For the second time in 3 years! Lame, lame and lame.........

JP Mick is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
  #841
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Is anyone else annoyed that the upcoming nhl winter classic features the Penguins again?? For the second time in 3 years! Lame, lame and lame.........
That's because Crosby is a generational talent...



/ducks and runs

angry_treefrog is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:30 PM
  #842
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 120
Whats that sound I hear? Oh yeah, It's the NHL's Crosby VS Ovi hype machine getting fired up already.

JP Mick is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
  #843
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,231
vCash: 500
Frolov signs with the Rag$ 1yr/$3MM?? Cheap signing for him. No idea if Tallon was in on trying to get him, but he would've been a good addition to the Top 6 IMO.

Desert Panther is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
  #844
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 14,277
vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Whats that sound I hear? Oh yeah, It's the NHL's Crosby VS Ovi hype machine getting fired up already.
Huh, that's weird. I seem to hear the waaambulance coming.


StrangeVision is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
  #845
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Huh, that's weird. I seem to hear the waaambulance coming.

Weird, I didn't think Crosby posted here?

Rattrick is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 04:02 PM
  #846
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian
 
Ghoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Frolov signs with the Rag$ 1yr/$3MM?? Cheap signing for him. No idea if Tallon was in on trying to get him, but he would've been a good addition to the Top 6 IMO.
Maybe next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Huh, that's weird. I seem to hear the waaambulance coming.
Amber lamps.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 04:31 PM
  #847
Pukboy5kroner
Registered User
 
Pukboy5kroner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Maybe next season.
ESPN 2???

Pukboy5kroner is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 04:49 PM
  #848
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 14,277
vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Weird, I didn't think Crosby posted here?
This is just a day full of surprises. When did Bruce Boudreau change his name!?!

StrangeVision is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 05:41 PM
  #849
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Huh, that's weird. I seem to hear the waaambulance coming.

So you like the match-up?

JP Mick is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 05:47 PM
  #850
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Frolov signs with the Rag$ 1yr/$3MM?? Cheap signing for him. No idea if Tallon was in on trying to get him, but he would've been a good addition to the Top 6 IMO.
This is such a typical Rangers signing. Frolov is the answer!!!
And the Kings replaced him with.............Ponikarovsky.

JP Mick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.