HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329335

Tim Kennedy was placed on waivers with intention of buying him out. Surprising move by Sabres. I'd like us to claim him if he gets to us. He's not a big forward, but can play center and I think he has top 6 potential. For only 1M for one year, it's a no-risk move that could pay dividends down the line.

Old
08-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post

Tim Kennedy was placed on waivers with intention of buying him out. Surprising move by Sabres. I'd like us to claim him if he gets to us. He's not a big forward, but can play center and I think he has top 6 potential. For only 1M for one year, it's a no-risk move that could pay dividends down the line.
Maybe it says in the article, but why are they buying him out?

Old
08-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Maybe it says in the article, but why are they buying him out?
Idk really, Sabres fans are shocked. It's probably because they don't want to pay him 1M, they were hoping for a few 100K cheaper in arbitration. That would be a real cheapskate move though. Check out the Sabres board, they are ready to kill Regier.

Old
08-02-2010, 04:26 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:

What determines the order of teams being able to claim him? Is it the standings from last year? If so, will Edmonton or Toronto claim him off waivers?

Old
08-02-2010, 07:09 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

I'd be pretty upset too if I was a Sabres fan. Kennedy had a rather impressive first season in the NHL, especially being drafted in the 6th round, potting 10 goals and 16 assists. He'd definitely be a guy I'd think Tallon should take a chance with, especially since he can play at center or on the wing.

As for Niemi being released and the signing of Turco, I don't understand the logic there. The guy was just a huge part of getting Chicago a Stanley Cup and they decided to acquire a guy who's proven that he can be one of the best goaltenders in the league in the past, but I've always thought he was overrated. I really don't see the Hawks building on more championships in the future.

Old
08-02-2010, 07:57 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post

As for Niemi being released and the signing of Turco, I don't understand the logic there. The guy was just a huge part of getting Chicago a Stanley Cup and they decided to acquire a guy who's proven that he can be one of the best goaltenders in the league in the past, but I've always thought he was overrated. I really don't see the Hawks building on more championships in the future.
Problem was that team couldn't offer more than $1.5 million (or something like that) per season for him without trading anybody. Would trading other players have worked, maybe, maybe not, other teams knowing that Chicago would have to shed payroll.

JOL

Old
08-02-2010, 09:56 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:

I'd like to pick him up too, although I think we'd definitely need to trade someone if we do. Kennedy's versatility to play center could help us if one of our centers goes down since we have no replacements.

We have 9 wingers right now, not including McArdle/Repik/Dadonov (I'm assuming Grabner makes it) who all have a should have a shot at the team if they have a good camp. In theory if we got Kennedy, Bitz could be the 13th forward and have McArdle/Repik/Dadonov in Rochester/Russia.

Old
08-02-2010, 10:41 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
What determines the order of teams being able to claim him? Is it the standings from last year? If so, will Edmonton or Toronto claim him off waivers?
Yep you got it. Oilers and Leafs get him before us if they want him. It would be cool if we got him but we have too many forwards already.

Old
08-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:

Was thinking the same, I too was very surprised... I like him, some skill and speed...

Old
08-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Yeah, until November I think. Just my feeling, but I don't think the Oilers would claim him, they have too many small centers and forwards already, and they are trying to get away from that. The Leafs might claim him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I'd like to pick him up too, although I think we'd definitely need to trade someone if we do. Kennedy's versatility to play center could help us if one of our centers goes down since we have no replacements.

We have 9 wingers right now, not including McArdle/Repik/Dadonov (I'm assuming Grabner makes it) who all have a should have a shot at the team if they have a good camp. In theory if we got Kennedy, Bitz could be the 13th forward and have McArdle/Repik/Dadonov in Rochester/Russia.
Yeah, I guess we would have to trade somebody.

Old
08-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Wings have signed Modano to a 1 year deal.

Old
08-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Apparently the NHL has decided to look into Luongo, Hossa, and other front-loaded deals since Kovy's was nixed. Probably just a formality to make it look like they're not just slamming the Devils, but this could get ridiculous.

Old
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Apparently the NHL has decided to look into Luongo, Hossa, and other front-loaded deals since Kovy's was nixed. Probably just a formality to make it look like they're not just slamming the Devils, but this could get ridiculous.
It has to be a formality. I can't imagine they would nullify contracts that were originally approved and the players have been playing under those contracts.

Old
08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It has to be a formality. I can't imagine they would nullify contracts that were originally approved and the players have been playing under those contracts.
Well, apparently they never actually closed the investigations on those contracts.

Old
08-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
I have to admit I'm surprised the arbiter upheld the voiding of Kovy's contract. Pleasantly so, though

When you have a salary cap, you can't let teams monkey around with numbers to get around it, otherwise it fails to serve any purpose.

08-11-2010, 05:25 PM
jol

Quote:
Aren't those contracts just starting, i.e. they were extensions?

JOL

Old
09-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Sharks signed Niemi, 1 year and 2 mil. Wonder if Tallon will look to bring him in next season, after Vokoun's contract is over and Markstrom is here full time. Move Clemmer, and that's a great 1-2 spending little money, which should make GP somewhat happy.

Old
09-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Weiwuer

I don't get the Niemi signing. The Sharks have Nitty, Greiss and now Niemi. Niemi isn't even guaranteed the starter job.

Old
09-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Weiwuer

Carey Price re-signs with Montreal; 2 years, $2.75m per.

Old
09-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiwuer View Post
Carey Price re-signs with Montreal; 2 years, $2.75m per.
Way better than Halak!

Old
09-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Weiwuer

We can only speculate for how much would Halak re-sign in Montreal...

Old
09-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiwuer View Post
We can only speculate for how much would Halak re-sign in Montreal...
I was just saying Halak outplayed Price, therefore Montreal was stupid to have kept Price over Halak.

Hell, disregarding what Halak did in the playoffs, Montreal is stupid. Including what he did in the playoffs, they are downright retarded.

Old
09-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I was just saying Halak outplayed Price, therefore Montreal was stupid to have kept Price over Halak.

Hell, disregarding what Halak did in the playoffs, Montreal is stupid. Including what he did in the playoffs, they are downright retarded.
Well, i sorta agree. I think Price could END UP being the better goalie. But when you look at last year, their numbers in the regular season were near identical, except for win/loss. Which seems to indicate that the team played worse in front of Price.

So yeah, i don't know. Montreal has made a series of stupid moves, like trading Mcdonagh (sp?) for gomez.

Old
09-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Weiwuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post

Well, yeah. Although Halak outplayed Price badly last season, we all know Carey is the Habs management darling. And frankly, I too believe he has too much 'potential' to be given up on. Halak was traded because his value was at all-time high and who knows if ever will be higher. I think it was a decent trade for both teams. But if Price flops, I don't want to imagine the riots in Montreal.

Old
09-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Weiwuer

Comrie to Pittsburgh; 1 year, $500,000.

--------------------------------------------

DarrenDreger
TSN says a deal between the NHL and the PA has been reached and they're working on paper work for 5pm.

EJHradek_ESPN
Kovalchuk contract will be approved as part of the agreement.

Last edited by Weiwuer: 09-03-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Closed Thread