HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pre game 1: #4 Toronto Maple Leafs vs. #5 Ottawa Senators

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2004, 05:19 AM
Lexicon Devil

vCash: 500
2-1 Ottawa. All goals ugly. Very few scoring chances. Goals scored by White, Chara and Nieuwendyk.

Old
04-06-2004, 05:50 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOfUs
You're not a real fan, have some faith. Fans like you are embarassing.
Have you never heard of reverse psychology?

Last edited by Safir*: 04-06-2004 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
Old
04-06-2004, 08:05 AM
littleHossa

I say 1-0 in overtime on a goal by Redden with DeVries assisting, and suddently everyone liking him again.

Old
04-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

I say the Sens take the Leafs in game, 2-1. Regardless of all the rhetoric they've thrown around in terms of having to be ready for a different Sens team, it's just hard to be scared and frosty when you just whipped a team 6-0.

To be honest, if the Sens had to play the Leafs, I'm glad they opened on the road. There will no pressure on the Sens unless they're swept at the ACC, and with every win Ottawa gets, their confidence and belief will grow - and the Leafs frustration (and hopefully bad penalties) will also grow.

That said, if Francis, Leetch and Nieuwendyk weren't there, I'd feel much better about throwing the Leafs off their game. But they and Belfour will make it tough. I much preferred the days when Corson, Domi and Tucker were the brainstrust and heart soul of the Leafs. Now Corson is gone, and Domi and Tucker are more role players who follow the lead of other team leaders. Much tougher to suck the Leafs into retaliation hockey.

Overall, I think it'll be a great series with the winner going all the way to the finals.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Douggy

So ONE Sens fan predicts a series loss for them, and everybody jumps all over his back!??? He's just giving his honest opinion, give the guy a break!

Old
04-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Feenom

I think Toronto can win Game 1.

Toronto 4
Ottawa 2

Leetch,Roberts,Sundin and McCabe

Hossa and Chara

It won't be easy. But I don't think Ottawa can beat the Leafs in a 7 game series.

Old
04-06-2004, 12:29 PM
HF2002

(since everyone is questioning the Sens, let's turn this around a bit)

This is going to be a close series. If Ottawa can get NHL quality goaltending then this series is even. If not, Ottawa doesn't stand a chance.

The whole mental edge centers around goaltending and physical play. Both teams have had such a huge turnover since the last time they played. Ottawa a little less, but they've also aged 2 years and gained a lot of experience.

Ottawa won't just give up and roll over as many are predicting. They came back from down 3-1 against Brodeur and the defensive minded Devils and were 2 minutes away from reaching the final, so I don't think they're afraid of good goaltending and having to make a comeback. How healthy is Belfour's back? Can he handle games every other night? If he lets in a couple of soft ones how will the Leafs handle it?

As for the physical edge it's all in Leaf fans minds. Ottawa's defence is big, mobile and can be very physical. If the Leafs start running around banging Ottawa they are going to be just as susceptible to injury, if not more, because they are an old team. Even in the last game Ottawa was not pushed around by any means. The only physical play that stands out was the Domi elbow on Bondra. And he's fine. Ottawa's forwards aren't the most physical in the league, but they will hit and are capable of dirty play. The kind of play that will get the Leafs into retaliation mode. Fisher, Varada, Schaefer, Hossa and Bonk all can be physical and Havlat can be be just downright dirty. Alfredsson will play physical as well, and I have been surprised to see Bondra get into it too when he gets pissed off. Admittedly, he won't scare anyone but I was just surprised to see him get involved physically at all.

The refereeing is going to be key in this one. And when I say that I mean who the referee is. If it's Bill McCreary Ottawa is toast in that game. Whenever he refs a Sens game they spend half the game in the box.

The PP is going to be a factor. Both teams have excellent PP's and if one team's PP goes dry then it will have a drastic effect. This is the reason Ottawa went out and picked up Bondra. Another option on the PP is always welcome.

The 6-0 result on Sat may have been a good splash of cold water on Ottawa's face. It was just one of those games where the puck was going in for Toronto on what seemed like every shot. It's not as though the Leafs dominated all over the ice. Once the game was out of reach Ottawa sat back and just tried to avoid injury.

The other factor that's a positive for the Senators is the team's health. Lalime looks to be ready for game 1. If he picks up where he left off before the knee injury he could be fantastic. Volchenkov and Varada are back way ahead of schedule, and the only other guy who's not 100% certain yet is Spezza. If anything, this is a blessing for Ottawa because he's day to day and can jump in if the offense or PP is a little dry. This means that Van Allen won't play.

Old
04-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
6-0 Leafs. Oh wait, we have already done that this week.
Sorry couldn't resist.
Here's hoping that the Leafs 'got it out of their system' on Saturday.

Other Dave

Old
04-06-2004, 02:58 PM
beerpaul*

Leafs in 4. I want the Senators to win, but they have only played about 2 decent games in the second have of the season, and their goaltending is more than suspect. Ottawa's only chance is if Hossa, Havlat, Alfredsson, Spezza, Chara...all their best players step it up every game, Plus they have to at least get adequate goaltending.

Old
04-06-2004, 05:30 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
4-1 Sens in the game and in the series.

Hossa,Havlat,Alfredsson,Bondra and co.are way too much to handle if they are clicking.

Old
04-06-2004, 05:32 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
5 reasons why I think the Leafs will win the series.

1. The Leafs have got the Sens where it counts. (the head). We Leaf fans can see it just as Devils fans see it in the Leafs. Call it what you will but the bad monkey is on Ottawa's back for some reason.

2. Eddie. He alone can't win a series, but he can steal a game or two and that's all any team needs to win a series. The Sens can come out and pepper him with 40 shots but the Leafs can still win even if they are outplayed because of Eddie. The Sens can't say the sme with an injured Lalime.

3. Faceoffs. Nieuwendyke, Francis, Reichel and Sundin all have winning percentages on faceoffs. (White is the Sens best ranked 53rd in the league) You can't score if you don't have the puck. This will cut down Sens powerplay chances and puck posession. The Sens will have to rely on a forecheck game to get posession of the puck and then there is Eddie taking away that game as well. (see point 2)

4. Smart grit vs. Dumb grit. Smart grit=Roberts, Fitzgerald, and even Tucker this year. Dumb grit = Neil, Verada, Simpson, Ray (watch the type of penalties these guys take) Leafs have dumb grit with Domi, I think he will see limited ice time though.

5. And finally, Coaching. Martin always makes huge mistakes against Quinn (Like playing an injured Lalime instead of the youngster in game 1), he is such a smart coach usually but Quinn has some kind of Mojo working on Martin.

Old
04-06-2004, 05:39 PM
bennysflyers16

If Leafs win the 1st game, Leafs in 5. If Sens win 1st game, Sens in 6.

Old
04-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Charge_Seven

As a Leafs fan, the good news of playing the Sens is, we play them in the first round.

If we played them in the second, or god forbid the third round, I'd be terrified. However with the Leafs playing the Sens in round one, I'm not quite as scared. Ron Francis, Joe Nieuwendyk, Brian Leetch and Gary Roberts are the reason. Those guys have character equal to Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Al MacInnis and the rest of the top leaders in the league. I don't think anyone would argue differently. Because of that, the Leafs have the guys that can turn the tides of games, on and off the ice.

The Sens are a team that should pick up steam as they get going, and come the late rounds be a very tough team to beat. The Leafs I'm expecting to be a little closer to the opposite, a team that can start out great, have a bit of a breakdown (be it exhaustion, or injuries) and then pick back up again because of the veteran experience. Hopefully I'm correct, for the Leafs sake.

Old
04-06-2004, 06:56 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump
4. Smart grit vs. Dumb grit. Smart grit=Roberts, Fitzgerald, and even Tucker this year. Dumb grit = Neil, Verada, Simpson, Ray (watch the type of penalties these guys take) Leafs have dumb grit with Domi, I think he will see limited ice time though.
Simpson is the Sens 8th defenseman and Ray won't touch the ice. And Tucker as smart grit?

Old
04-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Simpson is the Sens 8th defenseman and Ray won't touch the ice. And Tucker as smart grit?
Tucker's actually played very smart this year. He's probably been the best two-way player on the Leafs this year.

Old
04-06-2004, 08:16 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
So where's the grit?

Old
04-06-2004, 09:31 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump
So where's the grit?

On the whole team?

Fisher, Schaefer, Neil, Chara, Phillips, Volchenkov, Varada and yes, even Alfredsson to a lesser degree. He steps up his physical play in the post season. No power forward though. 7 guys who'll be in the everday line up, although Neil might not play every game.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:00 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
On the whole team?

Fisher, Schaefer, Neil, Chara, Phillips, Volchenkov, Varada and yes, even Alfredsson to a lesser degree. He steps up his physical play in the post season. No power forward though. 7 guys who'll be in the everday line up, although Neil might not play every game.
Not saying he was or will be a force, but Hossa was fairly gritty (again to a lesser degree) in the playoff run last year. He and Stevens had some pretty good battles and hopefully he plays that way again.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:02 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

Quote:
On the whole team?

Fisher looked to be the most effective Sen in the last game (not saying much) but I like him a lot as a player. Chara is definitely big, I am not sure your other regs are THAT gritty

Old
04-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
On the whole team?

What he said. Alfredsson is a lot more gritty than people give him credit for...he goes all out on the forecheck..doing whatever he can to get the puck. Hossa has been known to thrown around a ton of hits Forsberg-style..though he's not 'gritty'. IMO the Sens have just as many gritty players as the Leafs. They're all smart too, except for Varada the odd time. But he draws enough penalties to make up for it. There's no way Ray is getting any ice time..he'll be strictly for leadership.

Also, if you haven't seen Volchenkov in action you'll get a chance to now. For someone as young as he is...he throws people around the ice like it's nothing.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:16 PM
attis76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOfUs
You're not a real fan, have some faith. Fans like you are embarassing.

He is being realistic..

Old
04-06-2004, 10:23 PM
attis76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Game 1 is going to play a monster role in deciding the series.

If the Leafs win Game 1, it could totally snow ball out of control for the Sens, the media would question them even more and bring up the fact that if they lose again to the Leafs that Martin is gone, plus probably a few of the core players would be moved. And then the Sens would be under a ton of pressure to win game 2, because no way do they go into Toronto and lose both games and come back to win the series.

My heart says Ottawa in 7, but my head says Toronto in 6. This was not the matchup the Sens wanted to see. Toronto has an excellent team, full of playoff proven veterans and a much better goaltender and really loaded up at the deadline.

Well said,damn right.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:42 PM
MLSE

I hope this isn't a killer 7 game series. I want to see Toronto win a quick series and give our old men some rest.

But I don't think we'll get a big enough luxury...Leafs in 6.

Game one : Toronto 2 Ottawa 1.

(OT)

Leetch Sundin(OT winner)

Bondra

Game MVP : Belfour
Series MVP: Belfour

Old
04-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
Not saying he was or will be a force, but Hossa was fairly gritty (again to a lesser degree) in the playoff run last year. He and Stevens had some pretty good battles and hopefully he plays that way again.
Especially when he tosses his stick blade up around eye level

Old
04-06-2004, 11:21 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Let me tell you, I'm really excited to see this series. I think getting a 6-0 beat down will only fire up Ottawa. The last time these 2 teams met in the playoffs, Ottawa was arguabley one major penalty away from winning the series. I also think Lalime can have his game together as Ottawa is my pick to come out of the east.

I'm picking them to take Game 1 4-2.
go kim johnson........

I say that the first game will be alot tighter than the last one in which these two teams played in........Belfour's heroics will come through for Toronto once again.....Final score for Game #1:

Toronto 1.......Ottawa 0 (in Overtime period #2....Nieuwendyk goal assist Leetch)

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Closed Thread