HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts may need vet to beef up blue line

Old
09-16-2009, 04:50 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Torts may need vet to beef up blue line

Quote:
"When I say I want two young defensemen on the team, I'm thinking of them as six-seven," Tortorella said hours before the Blueshirts dropped last night's preseason opener to the Bruins, 2-1, at the Garden.

"I think it's asking way too much of rookie defensemen to play them together as a unit. Plus, the way we're set up with Marc [Staal] and Danny [Girardi] being young enough themselves, I'm not sure it would be best to add two more kids to that mix, at least at the start.

"What I'm hoping is that a veteran defenseman might become available as things shake out during camp who we can have on our third pair with one of our kids, while we carry another as a seventh," Tortorella said. "If it works out that a young player were sitting out too much, we'd send him to Hartford [AHL] to play games, but having kids at six-seven is the way I'd like to start, if possible."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...7pZ0cY2otThlON

Alexei Semenov isn't that guy. If he is a top 6 defenseman on the Rangers,it's going to be a long season around these parts.

Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti were discussing the same comments on the MSG broadcast last night.

Anton Babchuk? He is available right now. Francois Bouillon? Unsigned. These guys need to be playing if they are going to help the Rangers.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:37 AM
NY Ranger86

Semenov looked good!!

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Semenov looked good!!
yea I am fine with Semenov as the 7th but I get the post he is not a top 6 regular but with that he can sub in here and there

Bouillon would be great but he is not here.

Alot of things can happen in camp. Looking forward to rosters getting reduced to around 30 after the game. That way the real competition begins this Friday

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Levitate

Based on these limited 4 days of camp, and following Tort's model, I'd sign Bouillon and keep Del Zotto as the bottom pair, and hold Gilroy as the 7th and work with him on his defense. If necessary, he can be sent down to work on it in Hartford

That said, we haven't seen Heikinnen or Sanguinetti yet, so it's a little too early to make those calls.

But basically what I'm seeing out of Del Zotto is just about all you could want from a 19 year old in his second camp...if you're seriously considering him a contender for a roster spot, he's earning his way. That is certainly all contingent on him continuing this play, but if he does keep it up, I'd like to see him win the spot on the roster. When a guy shows he can play, you should play him...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Vitto79

I like Del Zotto but I just think their are other options and plenty of depth not to rush a 19 yr old. With that said he will be here right until the last cuts for sure

maybe I am wrong and if so I will be exited to see the kid play on a regular basis and on the PP

I still think Gilroy and Heikkinen make it even though Heikki is on the Hartford lineup today. Semenov would likely except a 2 way deal so either 7th Dman or call up

with that said I did not even mention Sauer, Sanguinetti, Potter.................they are a long ways away from making a decision for sure

Old
09-16-2009, 07:23 AM
frankthefrowner

Yea i agree with torts, we need just a solid #6 nothing crazy just a guy that holds his own.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I like Del Zotto but I just think their are other options and plenty of depth not to rush a 19 yr old. With that said he will be here right until the last cuts for sure
Eh, but if he plays well and is the best out of all the options they have, isn't it kind of stupid to not play him just because he's 19?

There's a long ways to go and obviously he needs to earn his spot, but if he earns it he earns it. He shouldn't be sent back for the sole reason that he's 19.

He can play 9 games without his contract kicking in, and can play around 40-45 before a year is taken off of his waiver eligibility. There's plenty of time to evaluate him int he NHL and decide whether or not to keep him up there, if he earns a spot in camp.

If he earns it, play him.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:35 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Staal didn't know Semenov's first name?

I betcha Sather thinks Semenov's first name is Anatoli. The Oilers had two Semenov's-Alexei and Anatoli.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:39 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

You mean "Hey Big Guy" isn't his name?!

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Based on these limited 4 days of camp, and following Tort's model, I'd sign Bouillon and keep Del Zotto as the bottom pair, and hold Gilroy as the 7th and work with him on his defense. If necessary, he can be sent down to work on it in Hartford

That said, we haven't seen Heikinnen or Sanguinetti yet, so it's a little too early to make those calls.

But basically what I'm seeing out of Del Zotto is just about all you could want from a 19 year old in his second camp...if you're seriously considering him a contender for a roster spot, he's earning his way. That is certainly all contingent on him continuing this play, but if he does keep it up, I'd like to see him win the spot on the roster. When a guy shows he can play, you should play him...
After last night's game, Del Zotto should have the inside track for the 3rd pair. Normally I'd say 19 is too damn young to play in the NHL unless you're a generational talent, but MDZ gave me no inclination that hes a teenager in any area of the ice. He was very impressive. Gilroy, on the other hand, was the worst defenseman on the ice last night. He was outplayed by both Sauer and Semenov.

Im happy that Torts has come out and said we need another veteran D-man. Its the smart thing to do. From what I saw from Gilroy, he is not ready for NHL action on the defensive side of the puck...his errors, especially on Boston's second goal, were so egregious that I doubt he'll be ready by October 2nd. If hes doesnt prove worthy of the 3rd pair in the next 2 weeks, I see no reason to keep him and his 1.75 million dollar cap hit on as a 7th D-man to start the season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:31 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Did anyone watch Sauer last night? He looked pretty steady to me.

Potter is playing tonight too. The Rangers have a ton of options here.

But i do agree they do need another NHL defenseman to beef up the unit. The kids can play, but the idea of an injury or two to the top 4 really deplete this teams depth back there.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
ogie

i have to say i was very happy with what i say out of Gilroy and DZ last night. There were a few bad things ...like when DZ twice tried to hipcheck a guy and totally took himself out of the play. But Semenov is not our 6th dman, he is Marek Malik 2.0. I'd still love to see the Rangers pick up Francis Bouillon, he is gritty and would be a good pairing with our more offensive minded youngsters.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i have to say i was very happy with what i say out of Gilroy and DZ last night. There were a few bad things ...like when DZ twice tried to hipcheck a guy and totally took himself out of the play. But Semenov is not our 6th dman, he is Marek Malik 2.0. I'd still love to see the Rangers pick up Francis Bouillon, he is gritty and would be a good pairing with our more offensive minded youngsters.
Bouillon really makes the most sense with Gilroy. Then Semenov as the 7th

but if Torts is saying having 2 young guys rotating with a veteran yea I don't know if Semenov is that guy

Will be interesting to see if Lacotoure or Semenov can stick or even just stick in Hartford since they likely have some veterans down their regardless. I really hope Rissmiller and Voros are not around come the start of the year but one may be

no pt to place them on waivers yet since everyone is competing in camp. SJ should take Rissmiller back

Old
09-16-2009, 09:29 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Semenov had more hits last night than Malik had in his entire tenure with the Rangers. Semenov is fine for a guy that will be platooning with another player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:37 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

semenov played well last night.

he has good size, can skate and his low hard shot led to a nice rebound goal for higgy.

hes a veteran who could be an inexpensive option for us. a healthy scratch perhaps many nights, but a guy who could give us some minutes perhaps.

still wanna see heikkenin though, hes the guy who i think can grab a spot and give us something we can invest in for the future.

one thing that is becoming clear to me is this.

we have a number of d porpects that are now, or will be very, very soon, nhl ready and they all cant play. a trade will happen soon which will include some of these assets and im wondering if dubinsky isnt part of that deal along with which ever of the dmen show themselves to be ready, yet dont make the squad outa camp.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

I thought Gilroy was on a one-way contract?

Isnt Heikinnen around 23 years old? If so, that isnt too young. He's got good experience from the league he had been playing in. I know it isnt the NHL but he has played against grown men. If you cant find that veteran defenseman I'd be happy with him filling that role and then having MDZ and Gilroy as 6-7 to rotate.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I thought Gilroy was on a one-way contract?

Isnt Heikinnen around 23 years old? If so, that isnt too young. He's got good experience from the league he had been playing in. I know it isnt the NHL but he has played against grown men. If you cant find that veteran defenseman I'd be happy with him filling that role and then having MDZ and Gilroy as 6-7 to rotate.
A one-way contract just means he's paid the same whether he's in the NHL or the minors.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
semenov played well last night.

he has good size, can skate and his low hard shot led to a nice rebound goal for higgy.

hes a veteran who could be an inexpensive option for us. a healthy scratch perhaps many nights, but a guy who could give us some minutes perhaps.

still wanna see heikkenin though, hes the guy who i think can grab a spot and give us something we can invest in for the future.

one thing that is becoming clear to me is this.

we have a number of d porpects that are now, or will be very, very soon, nhl ready and they all cant play. a trade will happen soon which will include some of these assets and im wondering if dubinsky isnt part of that deal along with which ever of the dmen show themselves to be ready, yet dont make the squad outa camp.
Heikkenen is playing for the Wolfpack today, which seems really strange. Meanwhile, a guy by the name of Brent Henley is playing for the Rangers tonight? Dont know whats going on with that, but I dont think it bodes well for Heikkenen.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Yea i agree with torts, we need just a solid #6 nothing crazy just a guy that holds his own.
It's funny it seems every year we do then go out and get one at the deadline: Ozo, Backman, Morris, am I forgetting anyone?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Semenov is obviously an option, ahhh, I mean to whoever said that i'd happily take Malik on our third pairing.

This shows Torts knows what he is doing when it comes to D. It is pretty inadvisable to play two rookies on the same pairing. They would get no ice time from Torts if he lost even a little confidence in them.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:44 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Heikkenen is playing for the Wolfpack today, which seems really strange. Meanwhile, a guy by the name of Brent Henley is playing for the Rangers tonight? Dont know whats going on with that, but I dont think it bodes well for Heikkenen.
Saw that too, and thought the same thing. But we'll see after the cuts.

Sauer looked like crap last night. DZ and Gilroy were OK, great on the puck, but shaky in their own zone. Gilroy especially so in the 1st. Looked a little lost out there. Loved DZ going for the hip check, nice to see he doesn't shy away.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:47 AM
NYR Viper

My guess then is that it will be Gilroy and Potter as the 6th and 7th d-men

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Heikkenen lagged behined a lot today with the Pack still getting used to N.A. game for sure
Henley is playing as a reward for his hard work in camp so far Torts liked how he never stopped trying

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Agent007

Shane O'Brien is likely available and the asking price is going to be a young defensive prospect on a two way contract (something the Rangers have plenty of).

He's got a one year deal at 1.6 million and he'll be a RFA next summer.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Shane O'Brien is likely available and the asking price is going to be a young defensive prospect on a two way contract (something the Rangers have plenty of).

He's got a one year deal at 1.6 million and he'll be a RFA next summer.
He would fit the bill and would add some nastiness to the back-end. I would condone a deal with Potter or Williams for O'Brien.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote