HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spacek Happy to be in a real hockey city

Old
09-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Edmonton. That kind of was Spacek's point I think, Buffalo's a great hockey market, but it's not crazed like Edmonton. Montreal, on the other hand...
Yup, that was my point. Pretty much no market outside the Canada can compare themselves to the hockey crazed Canadian hockey cities.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:06 PM
HockeyF3ind

Its good to see our best D pick up this season very excited about playing in an intense hockey-saturated environment. Spacek has lived stardom and in anonymity and he chooses stardom.

I like!

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Seriously lets see how many American baseball fans would support their baseball team if it had shifty owners who sold off the best players for cash each year, and no one would build a new stadium even tho the current one was a dump in the middle of a ghetto that was 60-90 minute travel away for most fans.
Hey, I happen to agree with both of you (you and Redux), but the fact remains that any fan of any team that relocated can make the strongest of arguments as to why their team's situation was hopeless, and that better/more committed ownership or deeper pockets or a better arena, etc. would have made all of the difference.

My only point is that WE, Montrealers, have been down that road, so I would hope we can see the point of view of Phoenix Coyote fan. After all, there's nothing worse in sports than losing your team. Nothing.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:38 PM
emb24*

it's ****ing disgusting what happened to the 'spos. and much like canadians don't really have any sympathy for what's going on in phoenix, no one in the US NO ONE. not mlb, not the carpetbaggers, not the US courts - no one gave a **** about the expos. if they had been in the US on the other hand, i can GUARANTEE you much more would've been done to make it work. their stupid ****ign arguments about montreal not being a baseball town? say what? would someone like stats about franchises that aren't winning? what's the avg attendance for the pirates? the jays? pretty crap

**** selig and mlb

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:40 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

LOL poor Buffalo

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
There are a boatload of American baseball fans that would disagree with your assessment of both. See how perception can be a funny thing?
Do you see people playing hockey in the streets of Phoenix? Baseball culture in the province of Quebec has been there as long as there has been Baseball in the US. My father, all my uncles, my grand-fathers and great-great grand-fathers have played ball.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 10:10 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yup, that was my point. Pretty much no market outside the Canada can compare themselves to the hockey crazed Canadian hockey cities.
the wild have a great atmosphere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Do you see people playing hockey in the streets of Phoenix? Baseball culture in the province of Quebec has been there as long as there has been Baseball in the US. My father, all my uncles, my grand-fathers and great-great grand-fathers have played ball.
that takes time... you mention your father and the generations before them as all playing ball and all that, thats over a period of how many years exactly? the 'yotes have been in phoenix for 13 years. it takes time to build the groundwork and create fans.. heres an article about hockey in california and how it grew up and what not from HF itself:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._hockey_part1/

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 10:18 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Buffalo is a good hockey city, they love the Sabres. Tough economic times has made things difficult but they support their team. There are some pockets that I wouldn't go to but the area around the arena and in Orchard Park where the Bills play is pretty nice. I don't think what Jaro said was a shot a Buffalo as much as a compliment to Montreal though.

11Goat11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Seriously lets see how many American baseball fans would support their baseball team if it had shifty owners who sold off the best players for cash each year, and no one would build a new stadium even tho the current one was a dump in the middle of a ghetto that was 60-90 minute travel away for most fans.
Hehehe... Yankee's stadium!

Anyways...just imagine how great it would have been having a baseball game last sunday downtown Montreal...

Seriously I can't believe the Devil Rays are playing under a covered baseball field.

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post

that takes time... you mention your father and the generations before them as all playing ball and all that, thats over a period of how many years exactly? the 'yotes have been in phoenix for 13 years. it takes time to build the groundwork and create fans.. heres an article about hockey in california and how it grew up and what not from HF itself:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._hockey_part1/
The point was The Expos and Coyotes is a different situation entirely. The Coyotes's equivalent to Montreal would be if Rugby would come to Montreal and they would try to build a franchise there. While there would be places in need of Rugby, that knows everything about the sport but would be denied. At the same time the Montreal franchise would be a fiasco with no upsides. I would be the first to say "look please get the Hell out of here".

Old
09-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
A bunch of places have great atmosphere, that wasn't the point. Very few are comparable to Mtl's market.
The day the Wild fans go rioting in the streets after their team just got down winning Round 1, then I'll start comparing.

Mtl is truly all about hockey, can't say the same for Minny.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHab View Post
Well he's mostly happy about the 3.83333 million he will be getting for three seasons. After all, he even mentioned that he only signed here because the Habs offered him the best offer.
He said that? Anyhow, I think this guy is going to be big for us this year, very underrated...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The point was The Expos and Coyotes is a different situation entirely. The Coyotes's equivalent to Montreal would be if Rugby would come to Montreal and they would try to build a franchise there. While there would be places in need of Rugby, that knows everything about the sport but would be denied. At the same time the Montreal franchise would be a fiasco with no upsides. I would be the first to say "look please get the Hell out of here".
You completely missed Sandman's point, which was growing fan bases in neophyte markets takes time. The difference between the Expos and Coyotes, essentially, was time. We were around longer, and so we all believe we deserved to remain a part of MLB. While that is absolutely true, if we lived in the Desert we would think a lot differently about the situation.

I just feel that we have been through losing a team here, so perhaps we can at least understand the plight of Coyotes fan...instead of bashing the city, suburb, state, country, etc.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Not bashing the fans or the city, just that there shouldn't have been a team there in the first place. Why try develop a market(ice hockey in the middle of the desert!) when there's already several hockey crazed markets in Canada waiting to be accepted.