HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TV Schedule Info

Old
09-15-2009, 06:05 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Sorry I don't understand the complaining.

Either buy the PPV or don't watch or go to the games (if you are in the area) as 11 of them are home games)

Yes it would be nice to have almost every game free and on TV but that is life.

In the old days there was no PPV and few games were on TV. I find it funny that people complain because they might have to pay to watch 16 games.

Listen to the radio if you don't like it. 630 Ched is streamed free on the internet!

hockeyaddict101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Klaus*

What the ****.... so basically 16 PPV and 2 on edmontonoilers.

This is redonkulous!

Bushleague.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:08 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Stripes View Post
What the ****.... so basically 16 PPV and 2 on edmontonoilers.

This is redonkulous!

Bushleague.
You should boycott every game.

And this board.

And the internet.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
You should boycott every game.

And this board.

And the internet.
That's all? Come on now.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:12 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Stripes View Post
That's all? Come on now.
Uh... Boycott Monopoly. **** that smarmy hat.

Boycott McDonalds! Milkshakes are delicious, but they have NHL toys!

Boycott the Olympics. It's in Vancouver. Nuff said!

Simply put, they tried to get them onto television. This schedule was delayed because they were talking with Sportsnet about fitting games in. They decided to stream 2 they couldn't place and put one on City.

Better PPV than nothing. And that's all they could do.

So no, not Bushleague.

Old
09-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salo 35 View Post
That's deplorable that our only Big-4 league team isn't available for us to watch all 82 games on my tv.

I'll be boycotting the PPV this year.

I said the same thing last year but I still wound up buying (ONCE) a PPV game.

I assume that on the nights the Oilers are PPV...there will be other games on FREE TV.

I'll settle for those games...or...head to a bar to catch the any PPV's which fall under 'must see' status.

The Oilers do NOT make any $$$ from the PPV games. (according to Jason Gregor)...so...its not their fault.

Still...I'm with you...its complaint worthy.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:21 PM
hockeyaddict101

Good boycott them all and then there won't be any PPV at all.

16 less games to watch on television anywhere.

Stop complaining, for God's sake, go to the bar and watch it for free!

hockeyaddict101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Laforge: Oilers couldn't lift the black-out on Centre Ice if they wanted to.

Last edited by SK13: 09-15-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old
09-15-2009, 06:35 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Laforge: Oilers couldn't life the black-out on Centre Ice if they wanted to.
It could be negotiated so that everyone gets their share and is happy. They just dont care enough to do the work that is required.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:40 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
It could be negotiated so that everyone gets their share and is happy. They just dont care enough to do the work that is required.
According to Laforge, it was sanctioned league wide and they couldn't change programming.

Old
09-15-2009, 06:49 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
According to Laforge, it was sanctioned league wide and they couldn't change programming.
This is something the league should already have in place. They are missing out on revenue here. I would buy Center Ice every year if they included all the games. It is stupid that they dont. Pay the tsn, sportsnet, whoever is carrying the feeds, a share of my fees. They can track whichever game I am watching with ease. If I am watching an in-market game, those companies get a share just like a record company/musician gets money everytime their song is on the radio.

Because Center Ice includes zero games in my market, I choose not to spend 200 bucks on it. Instead I have to fork out the 200 for 16 ppv games. It is terrible management. Heads should role for this. It is incompetence. Pure and simple.

Old
09-15-2009, 06:56 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
This is something the league should already have in place. They are missing out on revenue here. I would buy Center Ice every year if they included all the games. It is stupid that they dont. Pay the tsn, sportsnet, whoever is carrying the feeds, a share of my fees. They can track whichever game I am watching with ease. If I am watching an in-market game, those companies get a share just like a record company/musician gets money everytime their song is on the radio.

Because Center Ice includes zero games in my market, I choose not to spend 200 bucks on it. Instead I have to fork out the 200 for 16 ppv games. It is terrible management. Heads should role for this. It is incompetence. Pure and simple.
It's not incompetence, you are just ignoring the negative impact it would have with advertising dollars.

Local broadcasts are blacked out on Centre Ice because it would divide local viewership, and advertisers won't pay Sportsnet because Sportsnet feed is open in the region on another station - least of all on a Centre Ice system that alternates between local and out of town broadcasts (usually FSN in the states). This was a league wide decision back when Centre Ice was established.

Like was said, they don't see a lot of money from PPV broadcastsit. The only reason they exist in the first place is because they want every game broadcasted.

God forbid you should go without a game, just listen to it, go to a bar or something four more times than last year. Stream? Pfft.

Katz should just spend millions on his own system to broadcast the games.

Old
09-15-2009, 06:58 PM
CDA

Two threads with one stone!

I was talking with a watress at Chillibongs in Red Deer last night, she said they upgraded to HD over the summer and will have all the Oil PPV's. Free popcorn all night, and $3.00 nachos during the second period.

2 pints and a plate of nachos w/tip for the price of a PPV, and drunk dudes get to hear me curse at the TV instead of my wife......

Pricless

CDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Krut

Quote:
It's not incompetence, you are just ignoring the negative impact it would have with advertising dollars.

Local broadcasts are blacked out on Centre Ice because it would divide local viewership, and advertisers won't pay Sportsnet because Sportsnet feed is open in the region on another station - least of all on a Centre Ice system that alternates between local and out of town broadcasts (usually FSN in the states). This was a league wide decision back when Centre Ice was established.
Centre Ice could just black out the local games that are televised on a network (Sporstnet, TSN, CBC), and then show the games that would otherwise be untelevised, or on PPV.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Like was said, they don't see a lot of money from PPV broadcastsit. The only reason they exist in the first place is because they want every game broadcasted.

God forbid you should go without a game, just listen to it, go to a bar or something four more times than last year. Stream? Pfft.

Katz should just spend millions on his own system to broadcast the games.
I see you are having some trouble grasping the concept. The advertisers would not lose any viewers. The broadcasters would not lose any money. In fact there would probably be more viewers and more money to go around for everybody.

Old
09-15-2009, 07:06 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Centre Ice could just black out the local games that are televised on a network (Sporstnet, TSN, CBC), and then show the games that would otherwise be untelevised, or on PPV.
Or this. So easy yet it doesnt get done because the people in charge are incompetent and are willing to foist an inferior product onto the marketplace. Gordon Ramsey would have none of it.

Old
09-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Cerebral

Can you still change the service address for Bell TV (formerly ExpressVu) to some place like Ontario, pay the bill online and then consequently get all the Oilers games?

09-16-2009, 12:21 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
bunch of jerks

i better be able to get these ppv games in hd for 12.50 a piece
wow dammit i didnt think theyd actually make them 12.50 for the full bundle
now i have to decide if i want them all at that price lol

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:32 AM
sjtigers

Until the Oilers are actually playing like they care colour me out of the PPV purchase. I bought them all in 06,07 and last year I bought one.

I find the idea that these are leftover games a complete load of Bull socks when the Leafs are on the list, period.

I do recognize that the Oil have sucked last few years so I am not surprised that the amount of games have gone up but the so-called insider sections and product quality are usually pathetic.

So basically, I am not interested and will not be interested until I think the team is worth dumping money on. So far I am not sure they are... will judge as the season goes along.

At the end of the day I do not watch all 82 anyways, probably about 60 or so. So I do not feel to bad about missing a couple. Or sixteen.

sjtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:39 AM
MerryJ99

Are there any Oilers games on the Calgary sportsnet broadcast that we will pick up as extra? I think they get two extra games on SNW due to the fact the Oilers are televising them, also it shows a flames game on Versus, I didn't think Canada got Versus.

200 for a full season of PPV, I will have to check my mini pack tickets to see if any of those are PPV... I can only hope.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:07 AM
jadeddog

so there hasn't been an update on what games sportsnet is showing in HD yet has there?

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
so there hasn't been an update on what games sportsnet is showing in HD yet has there?
They said the Russian equipment that they had to borrow from Channel One has proven to be unreliable so they will be showing all games in SD.

Old
09-16-2009, 01:30 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
They said the Russian equipment that they had to borrow from Channel One has proven to be unreliable so they will be showing all games in SD.
this honestly wouldn't surprise me for a mickey mouse organization like sportsnet

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
BlueBelle

K, please help. I just called shaw and they said that they will not be carrying any of the Oilers PPV games here in Calgary. Can anyone else confirm this? Has anyone else been told this?! I was fuming and am calling Bell right now to see if I can switch imediately if this is the case.

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:11 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Centre Ice has, in the past, had no blackouts on games that aren't televised locally.

They can't air over PPV's, though, that would destroy the buyrate. Not everyone orders CI, and it they didn't air games on PPV, those people would have to go without the games all together.

Either way, they're paying for those games. Oilers don't see a ton of money either way, so it's hardly a greed issue.