HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Columbus at Pittsburgh | 9/15/2009 7:30 PM ET | "Make Your Own Damn GDT" Edition

Old
09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
George Matthews is the reason why I'm a hockey fan. To disrespect him is to disrespect me, and to disrespect me is to DIE.

...or get Internet Scorned, that might also happen.

Anyways, going back to the actual game... as I see it, three things happened for the 3rd:
1) We subbed in LaCosta, who wasn't quite as prepared as Garon.
2) Our AHL defense started to wobble under the strain of a full 60 minutes.
3) Crosby abruptly decided he didn't want his squad embarrassed that evening and went supersaiyan or something.

I think Garon still might have gotten us the win, given the way he was playing - but he probably wouldn't have kept the shutout under that kind of pressure.

Clitsome was on the top pairing IIRC. Clearly he is not ready for such duty. That's fine, though; we don't need him to be a top pairing defenseman.

LaCosta... well, when you're facing the Stanley Cup Champions #1 line with an AHL defense, you tend to get a teeny bit exposed. Godspeed.

I still wanted the win, but I can be happy with this so far.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
George Matthews is the reason why I'm a hockey fan. To disrespect him is to disrespect me, and to disrespect me is to DIE.

...or get Internet Scorned, that might also happen.

Anyways, going back to the actual game... as I see it, three things happened for the 3rd:

3) Crosby abruptly decided he didn't want his squad embarrassed that evening and went supersaiyan or something.

I think Garon still might have gotten us the win, given the way he was playing - but he probably wouldn't have kept the shutout under that kind of pressure.

Clitsome was on the top pairing IIRC. Clearly he is not ready for such duty. That's fine, though; we don't need him to be a top pairing defenseman.

LaCosta... well, when you're facing the Stanley Cup Champions #1 line with an AHL defense, you tend to get a teeny bit exposed. Godspeed.

I still wanted the win, but I can be happy with this so far.
Good post. I think the key here is to remember this is our first preseason game, and we're using alot of depth players here not just to see how they hold up, but to give some of them their first taste of action vs some of the best in the world....lik Crosby.

I don't think we've seen the last of Lacosta or Clitsome.

Did anyone who watched the game get a feel for Roy's performance?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
eljefe72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I still need a George Matthews / English dictionary.

One of these days I'll learn what the difference between a "Shoulder Shake" a "Shimmy Shake" an "Ice Snake" and a "Head Fake" is
I think a thesaurus would be more appropriate.

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
You're referring to Lacosta?

From Tom Reed's point of view, it sounds like Clitsome and others had a poor game. Yet, Its funny how some goalies are only at fault for 40% of the goals they give up. I should dust off my pads I guess.

Bottom line. Garon played with the same 6 D(yes even Clitsome) in front of him and saved 21 of 21, while Lacosta saved only 16 of 21. You don't need to see the game to understand that statistic. Dan will be fine, its pre season, Grant will too.
The rate at which Lacosta was taking shots was twice that of Garon, Lacosta faced a machine gun, Garon faced a semi automatic.. Nevertheless Lacosta got an education that hopefully he learns from.

As for AHL players, some are future NHL standouts, Mayorov seemed to have the goods last night.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 03:12 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

If I'm not mistaken..

we didn't have Nash or Juice, or most of our top 6 defenders.. and we were up 3 - 0 on the Pen's that had most of their Stanley Cup winning team iced...

Welcome to the NHL Maxim Mayorov it sounds like you belong... and I am happy to hear that Picard has scored again. Good signs folks, very good signs.

LetsGOJackets!! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 03:31 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
we didn't have Nash or Juice, or most of our top 6 defenders.. and we were up 3 - 0 on the Pen's that had most of their Stanley Cup winning team iced...

Welcome to the NHL Maxim Mayorov it sounds like you belong... and I am happy to hear that Picard has scored again. Good signs folks, very good signs.
The Pens were also missing some key players - Malkin, Guerin, etc. Per the Dispatch, both teams dressed nine regulars.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 03:53 PM
morecannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
The Pens were also missing some key players - Malkin, Guerin, etc. Per the Dispatch, both teams dressed nine regulars.
Big difference between a backup goalie and fringe defensemen along with 2nd and 4th liners and a starting goalie and most of your big names though. *make that a backup goalie and a backup AHL goalie

morecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
You're referring to Lacosta?
I am referring to AHL players. I guess that would include LaCosta now wouldn't it?

Quote:
From Tom Reed's point of view, it sounds like Clitsome and others had a poor game. Yet, Its funny how some goalies are only at fault for 40% of the goals they give up. I should dust off my pads I guess.
What point are you trying to make here? I have no idea.

Quote:
Bottom line. Garon played with the same 6 D(yes even Clitsome) in front of him and saved 21 of 21, while Lacosta saved only 16 of 21. You don't need to see the game to understand that statistic. Dan will be fine, its pre season, Grant will too.
I guess you missed my point.

The d, which was largely made of up AHL players, started to falter as the game went on. LaCosta was likely not ready for such an onslaught and he was left to tank by his crumbling (largely AHL d). Could Garon have gotten us the win under such pressure, who knows, but by the way he played, I give it a good chance.

Quote:

Which is pretty much what I thought I had said initially.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:10 PM
mokkan88

Even though LaCosta faced a greater rate of shots than Garon, he still has to take responsibility for letting in five goals in just over a period. Obviously the other Jackets on the ice didn't help him as much as they helped Garon, but still, 20 or so shots should result in no more than 2 goals on average. In the scoring recap, LaCosta looked a little slow by any standard.

Definitely pleased with Garon, but it was his former team. I'm interested to see how he plays Saturday, when he takes on an unfamiliar opponent.

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Which is pretty much what I thought I had said initially.
...well, yes, but I was nice about it.

Old
09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokkan88 View Post
Even though LaCosta faced a greater rate of shots than Garon, he still has to take responsibility for letting in five goals in just over a period. Obviously the other Jackets on the ice didn't help him as much as they helped Garon, but still, 20 or so shots should result in no more than 2 goals on average. In the scoring recap, LaCosta looked a little slow by any standard.

Definitely pleased with Garon, but it was his former team. I'm interested to see how he plays Saturday, when he takes on an unfamiliar opponent.
Lacosta was not his best but one must take the outcome in perspective, he had little help. By all published accounts he was not good but remember, games as this are critical to a young players future, I doubt his family is happy either.

Cut the dude some slack for the time being... If I recall Mason gave up 4 goals a game in our first playoff appearance and his name was hardly mentioned as being responsible.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
warlockmb

Lacosta is a good goalie that had a very bad game. Do not forget Marc Andre Fluery gave up 4 goals on 28 shots and he won the Cup last year. It was the first pre season game and not a good measuring stick. I think the best thing besides Garon's performance was that Mayorov and Picard were very good and both will most likely be in the AHL but it is nice to have players like that to call up when injuries come about. Sestito and Blunden also looked pretty solid so right there is 4 call ups if Blunden does not make the team.

warlockmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:44 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
...well, yes, but I was nice about it.
Hm.

Not sure what was so 'un-nice' about:

Quote:
Apparently he was at fault for 2 of those 5 goals. Clitsome had 2 turnovers that led to goals.

There were parts of our team that were limp to start out and the rest went limp when the cup champs turned it up a few notches when realized they were getting embarrassed at home in front of 16 000 fans by a fairly ahl laden team.

For those who think AHL players can do the work of NHL guys on a consistent basis, let this be exhibit #1.
Some people are just so sensitive!

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:50 PM
n8lhf

Send a message via AIM to n8lhf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post

I'm thinking even though it was a loss, it was a very good game. Even though TSN made it sound like all their big guns were sitting out, they weren't and our guys still held them for 2 periods.

n8lhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Hm.

Not sure what was so 'un-nice' about:

Some people are just so sensitive!
There's two parts to it - one is the name on the post, and the other is that fact that I was totally making up that "nice" part.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:22 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlockmb View Post
Lacosta is a good goalie that had a very bad game. Do not forget Marc Andre Fluery gave up 4 goals on 28 shots and he won the Cup last year. It was the first pre season game and not a good measuring stick. I think the best thing besides Garon's performance was that Mayorov and Picard were very good and both will most likely be in the AHL but it is nice to have players like that to call up when injuries come about. Sestito and Blunden also looked pretty solid so right there is 4 call ups if Blunden does not make the team.
LaCosta gave up several of those goals on rebounds, so it is clear he needs to work on his rebound control, which is what separates NHL goaltenders from their AHL brethren. Still, we didn't have any top four defenders in, and Pittsburgh spent almost the entire period in our zone, which would trouble anyone. You need to make the other guys defend a bit too.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Good first GDT everybody.

GDTers forechecked hard with zealous-expectations
The doom & gloom shifts were kept short.
The scapegoating was strong in the third.
Special teams made clever use of the Claude meter.
Hard checking game against Robert.

I'd say training camp was over.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote