HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Antoine Vermette extends 5 years with Columbus

Old
09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminated View Post
I love David Krejci's contract.
Well it's hard to compare the two contracts, Krejci will still be a restricted free agent at the end of his deal, Vermette was heading towards unrestricted free agency.

Burke's Evil Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Seems like a lot for Vermette. Hope it works out.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:48 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
50 pts playing a role that didn't promote scoring, no? He's being looked upon to put points on the board for the Blue Jackets. Look what happened to Justin Williams and Patrick Sharp when they were traded from Phila and put in more expansive roles as opposed to their original checking roles Hitch used them for.

Vermette will progress and earn his money.
Those are the kind of assumptions that can bite you in the ass. 3.75 is quite a bit for Vermette. He may eventually earn it... but he may not. Strange deal.

RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Most of the comparisons given in this thread are for RFA's, this is his first contract for his UFA years.

Whatever Vermette has been able to do in Ottawa had been while playing out of his natural postion, on the wing rather than center; even so he brings more than offensive production as he is a very good PK'er and face off man and has speed to burn.

He has had 20 goals every year but last year which was a disaster for the Sens offensive producit all round.

I think the Jackets will be very happy with him but I hope he returns to the Sens one day.
The RFA vs. UFA argument doesn't hold water anymore. Kevin Lowe destroyed it. The 4 highest-paid players in the league were heading towards RFA status when they signed their contracts.

Potential production shouldn't matter in contract negotiations (and doesn't in arbitration hearings). Only actual production really matters. Vermette simply doesn't have the actual production to merit $3.75 million a year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Gananoque

Columbus gets hosed. How a player like Vermette gets 3.75 per year with his past performances boggles the mind.

And here we thought Columbus was heading in the right direction in terms of their player personnel and salary situation.

Astounding.

Gananoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:51 PM
AC Le Rock

Vermette had 13 pts in 17 games with the CBJ's - 28 pts in 62 games with Ott.

He had a shooting percentage of 6.4% with Ott!!!!!! With CBJ's, it was 21.2%. However they're using him on their squad, it's effective.

--these are last year's statistics ONLY--

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
No, I think people "whining" about the contract are more pragmatic, and see $3.75 million a year as an overpayment for a guy that's been in the league 5 years, and has exceeded 50 points once.
of course we all know that points are the only measure of a player's worth....

in a scoring roll he will put up 50+ points as well as win faceoffs and play on the PK

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
of course we all know that points are the only measure of a player's worth....

in a scoring roll he will put up 50+ points as well as win faceoffs and play on the PK
Hows the strong faceoff ability and PK ability treating Blair Betts?

Players with that skillset are a dime a dozen. That's why they don't get paid like the point-producers.

Old
09-15-2009, 01:02 PM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Hows the strong faceoff ability and PK ability treating Blair Betts?

Players with that skillset are a dime a dozen. That's why they don't get paid like the point-producers.
Just look up Blair Betts' FO % over the last 5 season and how it's decreased EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Pretty sure he was below 50% the last two seasons...not comparable when Vermette is solid and consistent.

That skill set is not dime a dozen either, it just doesn't warrant the money of a sniper, playmaker, etc.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gananoque View Post
Columbus gets hosed. How a player like Vermette gets 3.75 per year with his past performances boggles the mind.

And here we thought Columbus was heading in the right direction in terms of their player personnel and salary situation.

Astounding.
Like anyone is going to complain that a player or two in Columbus is overpayed by half a million here or there if they start consistently making the playoffs. If Howson can lock up his core players, like he's done this offseason, and they make progress as a unit he's going to look like a genius in a lowered cap world. If not, he's still already turned this franchise around from perpetual doormat and he's earned my trust.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
Just look up Blair Betts' FO % over the last 5 season and how it's decreased EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Pretty sure he was below 50% the last two seasons...not comparable when Vermette is solid and consistent.

That skill set is not dime a dozen either, it just doesn't warrant the money of a sniper, playmaker, etc.
That's entirely my point. His skillset doesn't warrant the type of money he got.

Old
09-15-2009, 01:29 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
That's entirely my point. His skillset doesn't warrant the type of money he got.
Great! We'll put you into the 'overpayment' pile and see if you were actually right after the seasons over.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Only snipers and playmakers don't generally make 3.75, but more.

It's a contract Vermette's going to have to fully (and I say "fully" because he's only partially done it so far) prove himself with, but if a team like Columbus wants to roll the dice on a couple hundred grand of potential overpayment I'll encourage it. Them being good is good for the league, and they won't get better without taking calculated risks like this one.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob116 View Post
He may eventually earn it... but he may not.
I agree.

Old
09-15-2009, 01:49 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Only snipers and playmakers don't generally make 3.75, but more.

It's a contract Vermette's going to have to fully (and I say "fully" because he's only partially done it so far) prove himself with, but if a team like Columbus wants to roll the dice on a couple hundred grand of potential overpayment I'll encourage it. Them being good is good for the league, and they won't get better without taking calculated risks like this one.
I think this is probably the best post of the thread so far. Maybe Vermette hasn't totally shown that he's a player worth this kind of money, but it's a calculated risk based on his performance for them down the stretch. If it works out it works out and this contract looks great, if it doesn't for him as a second line center, he still plays an integral role on the team as a faceoff and PK guy. He'd be overpaid in that role yes, but he'd still be an important part. It's a risk but it's far from a bad one.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:59 PM
TweetyLeaf

Good move in my opinion.

Maybe slight overpayment but then again Vermette is very flexible and very good 2-way guy.

I understand the slight overpay (I think its about 0.5mil) becouse he is a class act and consistient for what i hear.
Also he is not "risky investment" by any means and should deliver what is expected of him and possibly more.

TweetyLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Has Columbus ever made a signing where people on here don't ***** and moan about overpayment? WOW, the guy was over payed based on previous production by at the most 500k, yet people still file in here and give the usual, "I have nothing constructive to say so I'll just claim holy overpayment." We over payed to get Tyutin according to those around here look how that turned out. We over payed for Commodore, look how that turned out. I think Howson knows a lot more than any poster or mod on here what is considered a good deal and what isn't. The length is a year or two more than I would like to see but this deal by no means hurts our salary cap situation. 3.7m for a 2nd line center is perfectly fine. Thanks for your time.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I guess we won't be seeing too much turnover in Columbus for the next four or five years.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Eh, looks to be an overpayment by my standards. He has played in 376 NHL games over 5 seasons, but has only had one 50+ point season. He obviously has the talent, but so do a lot of players that arent consistent scorers. Good news is that if the scoring doesnt come, hes still going to be a solid third line type of guy. Bad news is that 3.75 million could become a lot for a third line center when you are trying to resign guys like Voracek and Filatov down the line.

And IMO 5 years is just too long for a guy like Vermette. I only really see his ceiling as a second line center at this point.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:32 PM
H2O

I'm a huge fan but $3.75M appear to be an overpayment for sure. I hope he lives up to the contract.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyLeaf View Post
Good move in my opinion.

Maybe slight overpayment but then again Vermette is very flexible and very good 2-way guy.

I understand the slight overpay (I think its about 0.5mil) becouse he is a class act and consistient for what i hear.
Also he is not "risky investment" by any means and should deliver what is expected of him and possibly more.
Well Put. I can't see why its a bad deal for Colombus except for the fact that it is a little over payment.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:35 PM
RDriesenUD

Also, he still has 1 year left on his current contract. So, we are paying him $21.5125 million for 6 years. That is $3.59 million per year. He will be 27-32 years old during those 6 years. So, basically his prime.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Has Columbus ever made a signing where people on here don't ***** and moan about overpayment? WOW, the guy was over payed based on previous production by at the most 500k, yet people still file in here and give the usual, "I have nothing constructive to say so I'll just claim holy overpayment." We over payed to get Tyutin according to those around here look how that turned out. We over payed for Commodore, look how that turned out. I think Howson knows a lot more than any poster or mod on here what is considered a good deal and what isn't. The length is a year or two more than I would like to see but this deal by no means hurts our salary cap situation. 3.7m for a 2nd line center is perfectly fine. Thanks for your time.
The hate for CBJ signings is comical. They've had a great offseason imo, among the best of any franchise in the NHL and this is a good signing for a team that is definitely going in the right direction.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gananoque View Post

Astounding.
maybe they should bump the offer another 38% so it is comparable to the Gomez deal (in terms of $$/point produced)?

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Kamina
Amok

Noooo . Best of luck, Vermy.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote