HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Gustavsson Undergoes Minor Heart Procedure-Out 48-72 hours.

Old
09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
dubplatepressure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox X Mulder View Post
Cardiac Ablation is invasive surgery.
I don't understand the Leafs saying it's not.

It's actually one of the most un-invasive cardiac surgeries....

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
It's actually one of the most un-invasive cardiac surgeries....
When they put a catheter in your groin and snake it up to your heart, I'd hardly call it un-invasive.
Granted the risks are less than open heart surgery (which is also is done for arrhythmias) it is hardly non invasive.
Though, we don't have the exact diagnose of his condition.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Newbi

****! trade him for justin pogge!

Newbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:40 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

unreal. this team is cursed.

this better not linger.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Mr Scarface*

Wow, now Toskala will be better than any other ninja in this league. Congratulations. After that, when Gustavsson is healthy, he'll rule the NHL. This injury makes the Leafs a stronger team.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:41 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox X Mulder View Post
Seriously, If you get dizzy when you work out....see a doctor.
Funny thing, still talking about myself, I used to always get dizzy when I'd really push myself when doing athletics my entire life. I always just assumed it was because I was pushing the limits of my conditioning which was never very high.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbh View Post
I am interested in the type of irregularity they found.

I have heard everything from a blockage to a part of the heart transmitting bad electrical impulses. Perhaps, one leads to the other. It would just be nice to know.
I'm sure the team knows, or at the very least are in the process of finding out. There is no reason that the type of irregularity should have to become public knowledge.

Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:46 PM
ComrieFanatic

I had the same heart surgery done this summer to correct an arrhythmia and it was a fairly common procedure. They send wires in through the groin to get to the heart. I only had general freezing in the groin - I was not put to sleep and was awake for the whole procedure. I was able to go home the day of the operation and the only pain I felt was in the groin - this is likely why some have reported it as a groin injury. I was told to refrain from being active for 3-4 days just because of the entry point in the groin. It felt like I had a charlie horse but nothing major. I returned to full sports in 6 days and felt no repercussions from the surgery.

As far as risk are concerned, I was told this is one of the safest heart procedures out there. In the past, once they had the wires inside the heart, they would find the source of the problem and use ablation to burn the tissue away. Now, before they burn the tissue, they freeze it, and make sure that they located the problem and are not getting rid of necessary tissues. Once they can confirm it is correct, they use the burning method. This prevents any chance of burning the key elements of the heart that would lead to requiring a pacemaker, which is the biggest risk involved with the surgery.

I hope that helps clear up the procedure for everyone. He will be fine in a week or so, if not sooner. He has obviously been playing with the condition for his whole life and it may or may not have affected his play. I know that I had more endurance immediately after the surgery so maybe this will help him out a bit.

Last edited by ComrieFanatic: 09-15-2009 at 01:53 PM.
ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:47 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights View Post
I'm sure the team knows, or at the very least are in the process of finding out. There is no reason that the type of irregularity should have to become public knowledge.
The condition is most likely something called "Atrial Fibrillation".

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
alienanton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
I had the same heart surgery done this summer to correct an arrhythmia and it was a fairly common procedure. They send wires in through the groin to get to the heart. I only had general freezing in the groin - I was not put to sleep and was awake for the whole procedure. I was able to go home the day of the operation and the only pain I felt was in the groin - this is likely why some have reported it as a groin injury. I was told to refrain from being active for 3-4 days just because of the entry point in the groin. It felt like I had a charlie horse but nothing major. I returned to full sports in 6 days and felt no repercussions from the surgery.

I hope that helps clear up the procedure for everyone. He will be fine in a week or so, if not sooner. He has obviously been playing with the condition for his whole life and it may or may not have affected his play. I know that I had more endurance immediately after the surgery so maybe this will help him out a bit.
an EKG detected this on you? what were you having an EKG for?

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:53 PM
teleman

Thanks to those who explained the condition and procedure. Amazing the things you can learn on hfboards
Hope everything turns out well for Gustavsson.

teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 01:55 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post
an EKG detected this on you? what were you having an EKG for?
I was playing sports and felt an irregular heartbeat. I went to the hospital and they did routine tests, which is when they found my heart condition. In my case, I was born with it, but it took several years before it was activated. They couldn't explain why it took so long, but they said it is common for that to happen.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Gustavsson Has Minor Surgery To Fix Irregular Heartbeat
My reaction to that headline:

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Like ComrieFanatic, I too have had this procedure done. I was 18 at the time, and when they tell you they're going to your heart through your groin it does sound freaky, but it was pretty painless. Being a stupid kid who's a sap for peer pressure, I was back on the basketball court two days after, against the docs advice of waiting 5 days to be safe.

Having gone through it, I'm not worried at all about Gustavsson's hockey career. I was also pleased to see this:

Quote:
Gustavsson was "the most powerful guy we had" in some of the fitness tests before the problem arose Saturday, said Wilson
Interesting for a goalie.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM View Post
My reaction to that headline:

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
EKG heart issue shown up during the stress testing led to hospitalization and a heart procedure through the groin.

It's a common procedure in the general population.

Ron says the concern is now around ensuring that the incision isn't infected before resuming play.

-per Howard Berger
I seriously thought you guys were trolling for a bit.

Heart surgery.. through the groin?

That is ****ed.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 04:26 PM
rumman

not even a week into training camp and toronto questions the monster's heart!!!!!!!!!

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

At least it is only a couple days he will be out, i was sort of hoping he would play the Boston game tomorrow night though

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 05:11 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
At least it is only a couple days he will be out, i was sort of hoping he would play the Boston game tomorrow night though
According to Wilson he wasn't going to play in that game anyway.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Cappo40*

Why can't Leafs Nation win 1 DAMN TIME...

**** **** ****!

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:09 PM
mashsoccer37

It really depends which heart rhythm he had his ablation for. I am a nurse on a cardiac floor and we get 5-6 of these patients a night, so I feel kinda qualified to give you a legit answer. There are three rhythms you can get an ablation for: supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), ventricular tachycardia (VTach) and atrial fibrillation (A fib). The procedure (not a surgery) itself is nothing. A small puncture in the femoral arteries/veins and wiring up a catheter to the heart to burn/freeze areas of the heart producing incorrect impulses.

Now, if he had the ablation for SVT or V Tach, he'll have a follow up appointment with a cardiologist in 3 months to see if it was successful. If he got the ablation for Afib, he will need to be anticoagulated for 3 months. When people are in Afib, the top chambers of their heart are fibrillating between beats instead of one contraction like there is supposed to be. These people are at a higher risk of developing a blood clot. The coumadin (Warfarin) pills are taken to thin the blood and to anticoagulate the person. If he got the ablation for Afib, he will most likely be taking coumadin. Puts him at a much greater risk of bleeding especially with all the physical contact in hockey. When someone is on coumadin, it's generally not a good idea to be in contact sports as one good hit to the head might put you in a grave.

Hopefully he ends up being OK, I am really looking forward to seeing him on some North American ice dominating everyone but the Pens.

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:10 PM
MrLegend28

someone wanna change the title of this thread? dude isnt hurt he had a minor surgery. I saw this and thought "****"

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlegend View Post
someone wanna change the title of this thread? dude isnt hurt he had a minor surgery. I saw this and thought "****"
Your wish is my command. Just so you, and everyone else knows, complaints such as this are not for the open forum, use the "report post" feature to the bottom left.

Thanks, continue as you were.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:38 PM
TheOriginalTiger
GOON

Thanx ComrieFanatic for the info
I also found this on the net;
Quote:
The doctors or Nurse Practitioner will tell you when you can go home. When you get home, avoid heavy lifting (more than 10-20 lbs) and strenuous exercise for a few days. You should be able to go back to work in a week or even 2 to 3 days if you have an office job, and resume your normal activities, like walking, sports, and usual sexual activities in 2 to 7 days, depending on the nature of the procedure.
48-72 hrs doesn't sound right, a week does, no need to rush the guy

TheOriginalTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 06:41 PM
The Nic

So... The Monster has a small problem with his heart. Next... Tlusty quits to start an internet dating site, Komisarek decides that he cannot go on without the undying devotion of Habs fans and promptly retires, Bozak misses Denver so much that he gives up hockey to take a back-up punting job with the Broncos, Kadri discovers that his faith prevents him from playing hockey on any day that ends in "y", Hanson quits to pursue the film career that his father should have had, Kulemin returns to Russia in order to search for the legendary blueliner named "Vorobiev". Kaberle waves his NTC and is promptly traded to Boston for (former Penguin Rick) Kessel. Dominic Moore is signed as a free agent, is immediately named Captain and has his number honoured by being lifted to the rafters on opening night (unfortunately Moore is still wearing the sweater).

Somewhere... Cox and Simmons run had in hand through a meadow like little girls (exactly like little girls).

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote