HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gustavsson Undergoes Minor Heart Procedure-Out 48-72 hours.

Old
09-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Like ComrieFanatic, I too have had this procedure done. I was 18 at the time, and when they tell you they're going to your heart through your groin it does sound freaky, but it was pretty painless. Being a stupid kid who's a sap for peer pressure, I was back on the basketball court two days after, against the docs advice of waiting 5 days to be safe.

Having gone through it, I'm not worried at all about Gustavsson's hockey career. I was also pleased to see this:

Interesting for a goalie.
It is both very worrysome and miraculous that lots of people go through this.

Worrysome that it is very prevelent in the population but very luckily we have the ability to treat and diagnose it rather easily.

Most people would be surprised with how many of us have some sort of heart issues (most dont even know it)

Woodman19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 08:59 PM
hockeysense*

It sounds like Gustavsson underwent more than just a "minor" heart surgery; I believe he went under a procedure called an ablation. Before ablation became accepted, open-heart surgery was the norm. Typically, this surgery is used for patients with abnormally fast heart-rates, also known as tachycardia. People with this type of heart condition are prone to random, sometimes predictable racing of the heart.

What I don't understand is why there's a three day recovery period. It's usually a week or two before the patient is allowed to exert themselves; let alone three days for a goaltender to be allowed to do splits.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 09:00 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerin22 View Post
Thanx ComrieFanatic for the info
I also found this on the net; 48-72 hrs doesn't sound right, a week does, no need to rush the guy
As far as the heart is concerned, he could run a marathon tomorrow and have no problems. The only reason he has to lay low for a few days is because of the entry point in the groin and the possibility of there being massive bleeding. I was limping for 2-3 days after and was sore for another 2 days or so. On the fifth day, I was fully active - I played intense sports for about 4 hours and felt no pain whatsoever in the leg.

The success rate for the procedure is around 95%. If they don't get it right the first time, they go back in and it's pretty much 100% the second time. As was mentioned below by the cardiac nurse, there is a follow-up appointment about three months after to make sure the issue hasn't recurred. In the Monster's case, I'm guessing he will see doctors a few times over the next week or so to be 100% sure it is gone. I don't know why they make the average person wait so long because, as I was told, it doesn't take long for the problem to recur if it the tissue wasn't properly removed.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 09:03 PM
jfc64

A sign of getting in shape (heart works hard) and being better than ever?

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashsoccer37 View Post
It really depends which heart rhythm he had his ablation for. I am a nurse on a cardiac floor and we get 5-6 of these patients a night, so I feel kinda qualified to give you a legit answer. There are three rhythms you can get an ablation for: supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), ventricular tachycardia (VTach) and atrial fibrillation (A fib). The procedure (not a surgery) itself is nothing. A small puncture in the femoral arteries/veins and wiring up a catheter to the heart to burn/freeze areas of the heart producing incorrect impulses.

Now, if he had the ablation for SVT or V Tach, he'll have a follow up appointment with a cardiologist in 3 months to see if it was successful. If he got the ablation for Afib, he will need to be anticoagulated for 3 months. When people are in Afib, the top chambers of their heart are fibrillating between beats instead of one contraction like there is supposed to be. These people are at a higher risk of developing a blood clot. The coumadin (Warfarin) pills are taken to thin the blood and to anticoagulate the person. If he got the ablation for Afib, he will most likely be taking coumadin. Puts him at a much greater risk of bleeding especially with all the physical contact in hockey. When someone is on coumadin, it's generally not a good idea to be in contact sports as one good hit to the head might put you in a grave.

Hopefully he ends up being OK, I am really looking forward to seeing him on some North American ice dominating everyone but the Pens.
You must be new here. We prefer baseless speculation and hysteria around these parts.

Understandable mistake.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 12:25 AM
alienanton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
I was playing sports and felt an irregular heartbeat. I went to the hospital and they did routine tests, which is when they found my heart condition. In my case, I was born with it, but it took several years before it was activated. They couldn't explain why it took so long, but they said it is common for that to happen.
crazy, what'd it feel like?

i went to the doctor because i was having palpatations after workouts, did an EKG and wore a holter monitor for 3 days and they found nothing.

i guess they just happen sometimes.

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Just curious as to why they didn't find this during his pre hiring medical tests, or did he not have any ?

I have something called atrial fibrillation, it's not as bad as it sounds but it's a real pain in the ass. I was first diagnosed with it during a hockey game when i was 24. Have lived with it for 19 years. It's usually for the older population.

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 09-17-2009 at 01:43 PM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
Just curious as to why they didn't find this during his pre hiring medical tests, or did he not have any ?
Its not really something you can check for, as its hard to replicate the scenerio of an irregular heartbeat.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:27 AM
The Saurus

Has there been any updates regarding the Monster? Is he back on the ice now?

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post

I have something called atrial fibrillation, it's not as bad as it sounds but it's a real pain in the ass. I was first diagnosed with it during a hockey game when i was 24. Have lived with it for 19 years. It's usually for the older population.
I remember Wilson saying it is very tough to find and the only way to spot such a thing is an intense cardio workout.

I am looking at this to be a very good thing in Monster's overall development. He will probably spend a few weeks in the AHL getting back into things and then migrate to the NHL.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Leafs4Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
You must be new here. We prefer baseless speculation and hysteria around these parts.

Understandable mistake.
I was sitting alone in my dorm room and I still laughed out loud at this

Leafs4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:49 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/698771

Quote:
Maple Leafs rookie goalie Jonas Gustavsson got his first workout today after minor heart surgery.

Gustavsson worked out for about a half hour with goalie coach François Allaire before the rest of the Leafs took to the ice for a practice and scrimmage.

SpeakerForTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote