HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Contracts and Extensions

Old
01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
GrimReeper

vCash: 500
Contracts and Extensions

While Howson is looking at the Menu, he needs to remember to save room for Desert.

After this season we have 5 UFA's and 4 RFA contacts to deal with. Then in 2012 we have 5 more UFA's and 2 RFA's. Thats 16/24 of our roster that their contracts expire within the next 2 seasons. Question is, who do we want to resign, how much are we willing to spend? What direction are we going to go with this current team?

2011 UFA and Current Cap Hit:

Clark 2.6 Million
Moreau 2 Million
Murray 625k
Hejda 2 Million
Garon 1.2 Million

2011 RFA and Cap Hit:

Voracek 1.2 Million
Stralman 1.95 Million
Methot 1 Million
Clitsome 550k
2012 UFA and Cap Hit:

Juice 4.75 Million
Umberger 3.75 Million
Pahlsson 2.65 Million
Mackenzie 650k
Tyutin 2.84 Million

2012 RFA and Cap Hit:

Boll 725k
Dorsette 562k

In bold is who I would try to resign, although I would have a cap on each player that I would have to draw the line on.

I would max out here on these players, anything more they are trade bait or let walk:

Hejda: 2.25 million
Garon: 1.2 million
Voracek: 2.25 million
Methot: 2 million
Clitsome: 1 million
Umberger: 4.25 million
MacKenzie: 800k
Tyutin: 2.8 million
Boll + Dorsette 750k each

GrimReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Dirtydownshift

RFA offer sheet of $9-10 million x 8-10 seasons for Stamkos...Lightning will match, but if they don't, trading huselius and letting Clark/Moreau go will pretty much cover him.

Dirtydownshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReeper View Post

Clark 2.6 Million
Moreau 2 Million
Murray 625k
Hejda 2 Million
Garon 1.2 Million

2011 RFA and Cap Hit:

Voracek 1.2 Million
Stralman 1.95 Million
Methot 1 Million
Clitsome 550k

2012 UFA and Cap Hit:

Juice 4.75 Million
Umberger 3.75 Million
Pahlsson 2.65 Million
Mackenzie 650kTyutin 2.84 Million

2012 RFA and Cap Hit:

Boll 725k
Dorsette 562k
Yes
Maybe

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

I highly doubt Hejda will get resigned. Tyutin maybe, though only if he extends his level recent play throughout this season and next. In other words, I doubt Tyutin gets signed too.

One of Dorsett or Boll will be on the outs. I wouldn't resign them both. They are both fourth liners, and Sestito is a better option for both of them. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them traded before their contract expires.

I'm not sure who I'd take, Dmac or Murray. But I'm learning towards Murray.

With Holden, Moore, and Clitsome, I wouldn't be surprised if Tyutin is traded before his contract expires either, but I do like his play of late. But I doubt anyone on the defensive end will be resigned save Methot.

And I believe you missed Wilson. I think it's a contract year for him as well.

I also wonder what Umberger will demand. He could hit thirty goals this year.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Hipster Letestu

I doubt Hejda gets re-signed also, especially not for a raise

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
My sole points of disagreement are that I think DMac is worth more and Hejda, sadly, needs to move on.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Resign (all, inactive too, I did not count player who did not play in these season here):
10/11
Voráček, Murray, Methot, Clitsome, Garon, Holden, Sestito, Blunden, LeNeveau

12/13
Umberger, Pahlsson, Boll, Tyutin, Filatov

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
umbyforpresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReeper View Post
While Howson is looking at the Menu, he needs to remember to save room for Desert.

After this season we have 5 UFA's and 4 RFA contacts to deal with. Then in 2012 we have 5 more UFA's and 2 RFA's. Thats 16/24 of our roster that their contracts expire within the next 2 seasons. Question is, who do we want to resign, how much are we willing to spend? What direction are we going to go with this current team?

Clark 2.6 Million
Moreau 2 Million
Murray 625k
Hejda 2 Million
Garon 1.2 Million

2011 RFA and Cap Hit:

Voracek 1.2 Million
Stralman 1.95 Million
Methot 1 Million
Clitsome 550k

2012 UFA and Cap Hit:

Juice 4.75 Million
Umberger 3.75 Million
Pahlsson 2.65 Million
Mackenzie 650k
Tyutin 2.84 Million

2012 RFA and Cap Hit:

Boll 725k
Dorsette 562k
Why wouldn't we just re-sign them all. Hell, if they're good enough for 2009-10, and 2010-11, why aren't they good enough for 2011-2013

In all seriousness...

Re-sign: Umby, Boll, Tyutin, Clitsome (only based on what we've seen so far, obviously that could change quite fast), Jake, Garon, and Hejda on the cheap.

Murray or DMack are possibe re-signs. I'm sure by then somebody will be able to play their role for equal or cheaper and be younger than they are.

umbyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:41 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbyforpresident View Post
Murray or DMack are possibe re-signs. I'm sure by then somebody will be able to play their role for equal or cheaper and be younger than they are.
Younger? Maybe. Cheaper? Not by much. I have no problem bringing one back. Both? Nah.

I'd go DM.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
CBJCougar

Clark 2.6 Million
Moreau 2 Million
Murray 625k
Hejda 2 Million
Garon 1.2 Million

2011 RFA and Cap Hit:

Voracek 1.2 Million
Stralman 1.95 Million
Methot 1 Million
Clitsome 550k
2012 UFA and Cap Hit:

Juice 4.75 Million
Umberger 3.75 Million
Pahlsson 2.65 Million
Mackenzie 650k
Tyutin 2.84 Million

2012 RFA and Cap Hit:

Boll 725k
Dorsette 562k

Orange= reasonable contract only
Green= show them the money

I have to say I didn't realize 2/3 of our team was up for contracts in the next two years. I also want to note that I enjoy cheering for ALL of the above players but if I controlled the check book...I'm gonna be a hard ass and base it on performance. Sorry, guys. I'm also looking at value in my eyes only. To me, Hejda is worth 2 mil, Moreau..not so much. I just can't justify paying 3-4 liners 2 mil. Also need to note that I highlighted Boll due to his improved performance. I think under Arniel we will continue to see growth and use of more than just his fists.

Last edited by CBJCougar: 01-24-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Yellow made me go blind!
CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
hip check
Go North.

This is really tough to say without knowing what each player would ask for, if we are buyers or sellers this season, what players would want to return, and who else there is that can fill those spots. I'll start thinking about this more when summer hits. Interesting topic, just a little premature for me.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

There are several minor leaguers that need to fit into this equation too. But based on the big club and our NEEDS, if Hejda is re-signed, then Tyutin, Methot or Klesla needs to get moved. can't keep all 4 and expect the D to get any better. My vote is to keep Methot and Tytutin at this point. Sorry Rusty.

I think you let both Moreau and Clark walk after the season but I do think you need to bring in another veteran. I think you also let Juice walk after next season and use some of that money to re-sign Umberger. MAybe Filatov will be ready to produce in the NHL at that time.

Calvert has a chance to see full time duty next year which, to me, makes one of our bottom 6 expendible. Johansen has a chance to make the big club which could mean a guy like Murray or DMac becomes expendible. So much needs to change with the big club....

Lose - Hejda, Clark, Moreau, Stralman, Murray

Retain - Methot, Clitsome, Voracek, Garon

I sign Garon to a 1 year extension, Voracek to a 1 year offer, Methot to a 2 year deal and Clitsome to a 1 year extension to prove himself on the big club next year (6/7 type guy or is he something more - this year we'll see if he can sustain some of this good hockey!).

I'm not going to think about 2012 in large part because I think there will be enough movement to change the landscape. It seems pretty clear that Juice will be gone and his salary will be used for Umberger (Whom I bet gets and extension this July) and the younger players.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Gulvorn

Personally, I would get whatever I could at the trade deadline for all UFAs if we are sellers except for Garon. If he can't be resigned for less than 1.5M then let him walk in UFA.

I would let Strahlman go to arbitration and wouldn't pay him any more than he's making this season. I actually probably would say trade him tbh.

I'd resign Methot for 2.5M at this point in the season or less. Any more and I they should trade him. As good as he has been, he's also had some pretty bad games.

I'd resign Clitsome if possible to a two way deal.

I'd offer Voracek a 5 year 17M deal.

I'd resign Umberger this off-season for 3 more years for 4.5M

I would consider a trade of one of the bottom young wingers like Dorsett or Filatov

I'd consider a buyout on Commodore's contract.

If Garon is not resigned I'd look to add a goaltender that has potential to be a #1. Vokuun is unlikely but there will be a few other good possible #1 goalies that could be signed for a few million. This would give us a lot better goalie depth.

I'd consider moving Pahlsson if Johansen is considered a good enough player to skip the AHL

Next year I would use a lineup that consists of something that looks like this if Johansen is considered NHL ready.

Nash-Brassard-Voracek
Huselius-Johansen-Umberger
Calvert-Vermette-Boll
Filatov-Sestito-Kubalik

Mackenzie, Kyle Wilson

Klesla-Methot
Tyutin-Moore
Russell-Savard

Clitsome

Mason
Garon (Consider option of picking up Vokuun, Bryzgalov, Leclaire, Anderson in UFA)

The team may also want to consider picking up a UFA defender. As of right now maybe Kaberle, Ernhoff, or Chris Phillips if they make it to UFA.

Projected cap space next season under this scenario is around 14-17M and would be considered a rebuild. And actually, the team roster looks better imo spending almost 10M less than the current one and allows for at least the potential of adding peices by taking on spending.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

my only goal for next year is to not see moore or savard up here for anything more than spot duty...i'll look at the list later on and give an opinion on it...but pretty sure most has covered what i would say

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I'd offer Voracek up to $3.25 million for 4 years. Essentially that's what we offered Brassard. While I may not agree with the Brassard extension, it does set a precedent.

Trade Hejda at the deadline unless we're higher than spot #8. If we do retain him past the trade deadline, offer him $2.20 million ($200,000 increase from this year) for 1 year. If he refuses, let him walk. Give his payment to Methot.

Let Stralman go at the deadline regardless of our position in the standings. The only thing barring trading Stralman would be either nobody wanting him, or us being injury depleted. Try to get better than a 3rd out of it.

Re-sign Clitsome to a contract similar Russell's.

Re-sign Garon to a deal similar to his current one.

Keep one of either Clark or Moreau for a year or two. Preferably Clark.

If we move both Hejda and Stralman, and are pretty much out of the playoffs, call up Holden and Commodore. Let Commodore play a bit because why the heck not?

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I'd offer Voracek up to $3.25 million for 4 years. Essentially that's what we offered Brassard. While I may not agree with the Brassard extension, it does set a precedent.

Trade Hejda at the deadline unless we're higher than spot #8. If we do retain him past the trade deadline, offer him $2.20 million ($200,000 increase from this year) for 1 year. If he refuses, let him walk. Give his payment to Methot.

Let Stralman go at the deadline regardless of our position in the standings. The only thing barring trading Stralman would be either nobody wanting him, or us being injury depleted. Try to get better than a 3rd out of it.

Re-sign Clitsome to a contract similar Russell's.

Re-sign Garon to a deal similar to his current one.

Keep one of either Clark or Moreau for a year or two. Preferably Clark.

If we move both Hejda and Stralman, and are pretty much out of the playoffs, call up Holden and Commodore. Let Commodore play a bit because why the heck not?

I agree with pretty much everything except the last point. Moreau and Clark are both massively failed pick-ups/trades. There were a million FAs over the off season that could offer "veteran leadership" and be about half as much as either of those players. Moreau is on IR, and hasn't played well since the hand injury, and Clark is a healthy scratch most nights. So if neither of them can make the line-up right now, why would you resign the most expensive third liners we have?

The entire group of Pahlsson, Moreau and Clark need to go. That frees up over 6 million, probably close to seven. Boll Dorsett and Calvert are playing great defensively and they are a hell of a lot cheaper. I'm not the biggest fan of Dorsett, but I'd resign him before any of those three.

I also doubt Hejda is offered an extension, and if the rumors of Voracek are true, (we have a mutual friend and we've been introduced, but even through I we do have a mutual friend, I'll still say these are "rumors"), anyway, if the rumors are true, then I don't think Voracek will get as much as Brassard. Brassard's contract was based on a pro-rated rookie season, during which he really out preformed anything Voracek has done so far.

But I'm not the GM, so I could be wrong.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
Brassard's contract was based on a pro-rated rookie season, during which he really out preformed anything Voracek has done so far.

But I'm not the GM, so I could be wrong.
Jake managed 21 points in 20 games after Hitch got canned last year. Not sure if the bookends managed 4 points in 11 games, but it's close enough to to say that Jake has, indeed, had production on par with Brass in his rookie year.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote