HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-Season Coyotes @ Kings 9/15/09 7:30PM PDT Staples Center

Old
09-16-2009, 04:17 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
And about Teubert, he was pretty damn bad. He keeps that up and I start to wonder how long Lombardi will give him before the starts thinking about trading him before the 'secret's' out.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:07 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Earn Split In Split-Squad Pre-Season Series

Post-game audio interviews from the game at Staples Center...

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Earn Split In Split-Squad Pre-Season Series

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Hollywood

Hopefully, they can build on this even though it is preseason... It will take a lot of pressure off this team if it starts the season well as this the the first year where pressure will truly be felt.
Not surprised to hear Purcell looked good.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:09 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Phx goal was absolutely sick. He had about an inch and put it there
thats what she said

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:12 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I don't know why, but when I read your post I read it in a Jeff Spicoli voice...
nooooo dice

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:25 AM
sueroe

Very nice to read all the reports from the game tonight!
Much appreciated! Hopefully we will have an improved power play this year, sounds like its off to a good start.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:18 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Scuderi is like an offensive lineman: you only notice them when they make a mistake. I thought he was solid back there save for the one bad pass. The deflected goal was fluke city and I wouldn't even hold that against Modry.

I also didn't think Teubert was terrible but he might not have realized that Pyatt can throw them: he does now though.

BigKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Scuderi is like an offensive lineman: you only notice them when they make a mistake. I thought he was solid back there save for the one bad pass. The deflected goal was fluke city and I wouldn't even hold that against Modry.

I also didn't think Teubert was terrible but he might not have realized that Pyatt can throw them: he does now though.
I talked to Teubert not too long ago. He wants to impress, but in doing so the kid is just trying to do too damn much. He needs a vet to be attached to his hip and teach him when to pick his spots.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:35 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Some thoughts from last night

-Kopitars line created a lot of chances when they were out there.

-Williams looks a lot better

- Tubert is a crack up. He boards the guy then he dropped his gloves and picks a fight and gets absolutely destroyed

- Jack Johnson was a men among boys tonight, his second goal was jaw dropping. I'm very excited to see what kind of year he's going to have.

-Doughty was Doughty. Didn't make a bad play all night. He's simply a machine.

- Our PP dominated, and I really liked the combinations TM had out there.

- Hickey will make the team in my opinion. He's so calm with the puck, and doesn't make bad decisions.

- Scuderi looked a little rusty. Made a horrible pass that led to the Phoenix penalty shot.

- Bernier looked ok and made some nice saves. Lets give it more than one game.

- I liked what I saw from Mikus. He hustles and has skill.

- Loktionov looked a little nervous out there, made a few bad passes.

- Schenn really skated hard all night. He's probably a few years away though.

- Phoenix had a 7ft ogre out there. Forgot his name( maybe Fritz??? ) But my god he looks like a monster lol.

- Staples had about 7,000 people, and was pretty quite all night.

- Overall fun night and good game. Glad hockey is back.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:38 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post

In a big way. You could say that idea was hammered home.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Matt13

Pyatt fought Brian McGratten a few season ago. The kid can throw, but rarely does. Kind of strange.

Everyone needs to chill on Tuebert and stop expecting him to be a pro out there. He is young, immature, and has the tools to develop. No reason to rush him or expect the world from him now when we dont even need his services.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:20 PM
NomadFan

Also more thoughts on the game:

First, HOCKEY IS BACK!!! WHEEE!!!!!!!

Second, I wasn't too impressed with any of the junior players. They definitely need more seasoning. Saw some flashes, but they still have to round out their games. Size was definitely a factor here. Wouldn't say any of the forwards were bad, but they didn't stand out too much.

The defense really defined the game tonight. Obviously there was Johnson's play tonight, which was stellar. I really think that, over the course of the season, the Johnson/Scuderi pairing will be a good one. Echoing the sentiments on Teubert. It's clear he has some grit and determination, but he needs to reign that in. I sorta laughed when he got in that fight with Pyatt. He dropped his gloves, and Pyatt had this look on his face that said "Uh, really?" Teubert got popped twice in the face and that was the end of it.

And DAMN I really like that Doughty/Hickey pairing. VERY exciting to watch. Perhaps it's just me, but these two ooze chemistry when paired together. They're constantly chirping at each other, calling plays, and it's almost like they know exactly what the other wants to do. Both of them showed a lot of poise and hockey sense, and a total willingness to take the body. Doughty had the highlight reel HITS of the night, but Hickey looked pretty good as well.

Forwards, from top to bottom I wasn't as impressed. Solid showing, but nothing noteworthy, which troubles me a bit. Kopitar seemed a bit flat offensively, but I think he had an otherwise solid if unspectacular game; nothing bad, but nothing mind blowing either. At the very least, he didn't play like a $6.8 million player. Williams was definitely the best forward for the Kings tonight - I liked his play and willingness to put pucks on the net. Smyth did what he was billed to do. Most times he was doing all the dirty work, and I credit his screen on Johnson's 1st goal.

Purcell, yes much improved from last season. He might be finally clicking, although I hope he can carry that consistently - he's shown flashes of brilliance before, but can he maintain that over the course of a season? Moller, i'm a bit worried about. The luster has definitely worn off, as it seems like his size is even more of an issue now. I could see a Manchester assignment for Moller in order for him to bulk up even more and deal with bigger players (bit of an aside, it seemed like Phoenix's lineup was HUGE).

Clune did his job. Hilarious agitator role - he even went back and forth with Yandle when they were both sent to the penalty box. That went on for a good 4 minutes or something like that. I also don't trust Westgarth's role as a tough-guy; he has size but I'm not sure he's the type of enforcer that will demand respect from the opposition - at least Ivanans looks like a scary mofo. Peter Harrold played center for the 4th line; seems his days as primarily a defenseman are done - but I bet he gets to keep his roster spot because of this "versatility." Again, nothing to note on Petey. Solid, if unspectacular and invisible game overall.

I really liked Bernier's play. Solid positioning, and yet again excellent rebound control. He wasn't scrambly or frantic, and he looked calm and poised throughout the game. My only complaint about him could be "mental" in a way. Second goal wasn't his fault - just kind of a flukey goal. First goal, Boedker had a sweet shot, but it could also be argued that Bernier got momentarily distracted by something or other and lost track of where the puck was. He guessed wrong in a way and was sorta slow getting to the near post. 3rd goal, gotta put it on him. He went back to play the puck when there was heavy pressure coming into the defensive zone, didn't realize he had no option to pass, and just flipped the puck onto a Coyote's player stick. Total mental lapse on that one, and hopefully that won't turn into a huge problem in his career with the Kings.

In terms of team style, EXCELLENT power-play execution. I believe two goals were scored on the power play (Johnson and Purcell), and overall I really liked the puck movement. Passes were there, movement to open ice was there, guys holding the blue line, and best of all, tons of shots getting to the net. Still, seems like Smyth is the only one willing to crash the net and piss of goalies. Then again, the 2nd power play unit involved some of the junior kids, so it remains to be seen how the power play will shape up for the Kings and the regular season. Yet again, superb play between Dougthy and Hickey as the blueliners. Just to note, the other "blue line pairing" on the power play was Johnson and Williams.

The penalty kill left something to be desired. Could have been a result of the opposition as well, but it felt a bit too scrambly, especially in front of the net. I also saw a lack of trying to clear the crease for Bernier. Individually, each player on the kill did a decent job of pressuring the puck carrier and getting to loose pucks, but in terms of a system, I still think that needs to be worked out. Penalty kill seemed to frantic, and that may have lead to confusion on the 1st and 3rd goals in terms of coverage and where the puck should be going. And yes, Boedker's goal was a really sweet shot.

Damn that was a lot longer than I thought it was gonna be. Either way, those are my thoughts and observations. Agree? Disagree?

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:30 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
i think i agree most with markisonfire.

apparently he and i seem to be the only people who thought Kopitar was the one sandbagging the other two. i thought Smyth and Williams looked good.

the only thing i seem to disagree with most with you guys is that i ignored Johnson's offense entirely and saw a different player than many of you did.

i really like Clifford.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

Justin Williams impressed me alot. At times he looks like he could be one of the fastest players in the league.

As always, I loved Hickey's composure. I think that he would be the perfect #7 D-man for this season. I am sure the goaltending tandem would have no problem with that. Very reliable.

Purcell has way more skill than I gave him credit for after last year's debacle.

Get the feeling that L.A. has a better aura about them this year. I think improvement is definitely in the cards.

WADEugottaBELAKthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
LombardiTool

For you guys that attended the game. Many of you listed Scuderi as horrible, awful, etc. You all point to one play. OTHER than that one play we all know about, how was his play? One person mentioned rusty, which I can understand. Horrible and Awful concern me.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:08 PM
rmp

Are there hi-lights of this game anywhere?

rmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
For you guys that attended the game. Many of you listed Scuderi as horrible, awful, etc. You all point to one play. OTHER than that one play we all know about, how was his play? One person mentioned rusty, which I can understand. Horrible and Awful concern me.
People just need/want a whipping boy. Doesn't matter if it's a vet like Scuderi or a green kid like Teubert.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i think i agree most with markisonfire.

apparently he and i seem to be the only people who thought Kopitar was the one sandbagging the other two. i thought Smyth and Williams looked good.

the only thing i seem to disagree with most with you guys is that i ignored Johnson's offense entirely and saw a different player than many of you did.

i really like Clifford.
Please elaborate.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:34 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
It just makes sense to pair him with Johnson, at even strength anyway. For the most part, I felt Scuderi was not noteworthy (except for that horrible giveaway). Then again, for someone like him, can't ask for more. I think he'll solidly be the #4 defenseman on the team.

I think the pairings will end up being Doughty/Greene, Johnson/Scuderi, O'Donnell/Hickey, Piskula/Martinez/Voinov as the #7. Hickey seems to play well enough that he'll at least merit getting bottom pairing even strength ice time, and probably some power-play time as well.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
not tellin*

sounds like tuebert is being everything you could expect at this stage in his development. flashes of hope and at the same time carrying that "edge" that this team so desperately lacks. stripes on a tiger or something.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Please elaborate.
it's early yet, and i feel cautious about being overly critical of the one player who i personally feel is probably the most important cog going into the season.

but in short, Jack Johnson = Bryan McCabe.

Old
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
nki

I think it is unfortunate for many reasons that there is nobody there to challenge Kopitar for the first line center slot.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:50 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
I think it is unfortunate for many reasons that there is nobody there to challenge Kopitar for the first line center slot.
as do i.

Old
09-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Ummm really? Peter Harrold, duh.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:59 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I wasn't at the game, but listened to it online. I think it has to be noted that the Kings were in the penalty box WAY too often. What did the Yotes have, 7 PPs or something insane?

Also, it sounded like Smyth was on the ice for 3 out of the 4 Kings goals and parked right in front of the net. For those of you who were there, is that true?

From the radio perspective, I heard Smyth, Williams, Moller, JJ and Doughty's name over and over again in a good way. Thinking back, I think Nick only said Schenn's name once. Of course, the kid will end up in juniors this year (where he should be). It was nice to here the big guys step up. As good as Smyth and Williams sounded, I was expecting to hear Anze's name more. Sounded like those two guys carried him throughout the game.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote