HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-Season Coyotes @ Kings 9/15/09 7:30PM PDT Staples Center

Old
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

vCash: 500
I also wanted to mention, when looking at the box score, JJ played the most minutes at 25:15 with Doughty next in line at 22:34. Smyth had the most ice time of any forward at 21:28.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I wasn't at the game, but listened to it online. I think it has to be noted that the Kings were in the penalty box WAY too often. What did the Yotes have, 7 PPs or something insane?

Also, it sounded like Smyth was on the ice for 3 out of the 4 Kings goals and parked right in front of the net. For those of you who were there, is that true?

From the radio perspective, I heard Smyth, Williams, Moller, JJ and Doughty's name over and over again in a good way. Thinking back, I think Nick only said Schenn's name once. Of course, the kid will end up in juniors this year (where he should be). It was nice to here the big guys step up. As good as Smyth and Williams sounded, I was expecting to hear Anze's name more. Sounded like those two guys carried him throughout the game.
one of the most disappointing aspects about Brayden Schenn last night was that he and his line only had two shifts in the first period.

i thought it was strange considering the Clune-Westgarth line had a second shift within the first 12-minutes... and that was after both had spent time in the box for fighting.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Nice recaps everyone.

I wouldn't be too worried about Teubert. He's still a teenager, and has lots of room for growth.

Really like the idea of Hickey-Doughty together, that could be our top pair in a couple of years when Hickey is ready for it. And let's not forget about Voinov.

Let's hope the coaching staff gives Schenn an opportunity to play with some offensive linemates. The kid has fantastic vision and playmaking abilities. He knows to make his linemates better. I'm telling you - Schenn will pull a kopitar in '10 camp.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:15 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I wasn't at the game, but listened to it online. I think it has to be noted that the Kings were in the penalty box WAY too often. What did the Yotes have, 7 PPs or something insane?
I wouldn't worry about that too much. Guys have things to prove when they are playing in the preseason. Just sending Teubert back to juniors alone will cut down on half of them.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:16 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I might as well throw my analysis in.

Smyth/Kopi/Williams - Looked like they have been playing together for awhile. Williams threw the body around and looked quick. Typical Ryan Smyth game, drove to the net and gave the Phoenix dmen fits. Kopitar oozed confidence. He has that special ability of making the game, and everyone else look slow. Reminded me of Forsberg with his patience and overall ability. He just makes everything look easy.

Moller/Loktionov/Purcell - I agree with TM about Purcell's game. I made it a point to watch him specifically and watch his "compete" level and it was definitely there.He fought through checks on the boards and didn't give up in his 1-on-1 battles as he had in the past. Loktionov reminded me of a slicker version of Moller. Good vision. The Phoenix dmen had their way with both Moller and Loktionov most of the game. Loktionov tried to possess the puck a little much and was pokechecked pretty easily IMO.

Mikus/Schenn/Clifford - This line had some jump and was effective playing the shutdown line. Clifford looks like he will make it in a few years. I am not as sold on Mikus yet. He needs to adjust his game for NA. I was very happy with Schenn. Good on the PK. Kept it simple and was effective. Trevor Lewis had better step up. Schenn already looks like he is at his level.

Westgarth/Harrold/Clune - I think everyone knows what to ecpect from these guys. Clune's game reminded me of Avery. Not overly fast but very quick. Doesn't mind mixing it up with a goalie and going to the front of the net. Very vocal and encouraging on the bench. That guy Fritz about knocked out Westgarth. Harrold was Harrold. Very reliable PK'er.

Doughty/Hickey - Doughty crushed somebody at the end of the game, very good to see. Doughty was great on the PP. Very patient and made the right play. Hickey is a tough one to analyze. He didn't play bad by any means. He made the right play and looks like he will be a solid citizen on any team. I can't help to hold him to a higher standard though given where he was drafted. He is very strong positionally. I hope there is some sort of offense to his game I haven't seen yet.

Johnson/Scuds - Jack made me excited about hockey again last night. I was excited...but I think he pushed my hopes to a new level. THAT was the guy we have been waiting for. Everyone knows the potential is there. I know it's a pre-season game and all, but dayum, he looked elite last night. Him and Doughty pushing each other is only good for us. I see that the Scuderi issues were addressed. He had a tough game but it happens. His positioning and controlled aggressiveness on the PK was encouraging. We can't forget that he is a good solid defensive dman. He is not a superstar.

Teubert/Piskula - Disappointing game from Piskula. I didn't expect much but he looked tentative. He didn't look like the same player we saw 2 years ago. I've read the Teubert comments in this thread, and I agree he looked poor. His positioning wasn't very good...and was guilty ALOT of chasing forwards around rather than staying in his position. He has a good shot, but definitely needs some seasoning at the pro level. I thought his boarding and roughing calls were very selfish plays. He knew he was getting the boarding call and basically fought a guy who didn't want to fight. If he is going to start a fight he needs to take his visor off. I hate when other players do it, and I definitely hated it last night when he did it.

Bernier - Played a solid game. Good positioning made tough saves look easy. Excelled at blocking pucks to the corners off his pads. The 1st goal was a great shot. Don't remember the Yandle goal...the 3rd one was miscommunication between Bernier and the dman playing the puck. Korpikoski missed the PS but Bernier deserves some credit for getting his blocker down and blocking the Jussi-hole (the hole right above the pad underneath the blocker) which forced Korpikoski to fire it somewhere else.

That's all from me.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:46 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Bernier - Played a solid game. Good positioning made tough saves look easy. Excelled at blocking pucks to the corners off his pads. The 1st goal was a great shot. Don't remember the Yandle goal...the 3rd one was miscommunication between Bernier and the dman playing the puck. Korpikoski missed the PS but Bernier deserves some credit for getting his blocker down and blocking the Jussi-hole (the hole right above the pad underneath the blocker) which forced Korpikoski to fire it somewhere else.

That's all from me.
Last night on the radio, Nick mentioned it was Hickey. They misunderstood each other, which led to Bernier giving up the puck to a Phoenix player.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:49 PM
mikealive

thanks to everyone for the recap. I couldn't make it to the game. Overall it sounds like our first line looked solid. That's very good news going into the season.

mikealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:00 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

The thing that I liked from Kopitar the most was that he was following up plays to the net. He tried to bull his way in for rebounds a few times and ended up in the blue paint with Smyth. Nothing came of it goal-wise, but it was nice to see.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:10 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

On Hammond's site someone posted Westgarth's fight last night on youtube.

Old
09-16-2009, 02:26 PM
regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
For you guys that attended the game. Many of you listed Scuderi as horrible, awful, etc. You all point to one play. OTHER than that one play we all know about, how was his play? One person mentioned rusty, which I can understand. Horrible and Awful concern me.
Several Pittsburgh fans posted after we got Scuderi was that he was solid but definitely prone to the poor breakout pass, aka similar to O'Donnell and Gauthier. So hopefully he gets most of those out of his system early. But I am not shocked to read about it. You get a player like him who plays with heart and soul, along with his winning veteran leadership, and live with his occasional outlet mistakes.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
it's early yet, and i feel cautious about being overly critical of the one player who i personally feel is probably the most important cog going into the season.

but in short, Jack Johnson = Bryan McCabe.
Doesn't surprise me. I've been saying Jack Johnson is Mike Green with an edge for the last two seasons.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
mbar

Thanks for all the great reports guys!

Those of us unable to attend last night really appreciate it!

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I didnt say he was bad.......I said he looked uncomfortable.

btw...Sorry I didn't come up to say wasup to you today I was feeling sick as ****. Didnt want to walk up all the stairs LOL.
Probably his jock strap was too tight.
You just didn't want to walk up the stairs 'cause you hate me.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:54 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Doesn't surprise me. I've been saying Jack Johnson is Mike Green with an edge for the last two seasons.
hmm.. but does Mike Green = Brian McCabe?

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Johnny Utah

Someone tell me again why we signed Scuderi instead of Beauchemin?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 03:37 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Someone tell me again why we signed Scuderi instead of Beauchemin?
Rob Scuderi's game hasn't been framed by playing with Scott Niedermayer, which was painfully obvious by the significant difference in Beauchemin's effectiveness when they weren't paired together?

admit it, you lean more Beauchemin because he throws down.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Pyatt fought Brian McGratten a few season ago. The kid can throw, but rarely does. Kind of strange.
Pyatt doesn't use his size enough (reason why he hasn't lived up to the expectations of being a former 1st round pick). Tends to rely too much on a perimeter game.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 04:34 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Let's not forget that Pyatt took the best Ivanans had to offer and split Raitis open. I'd definitely label Pyatt a "sleeping giant".

As for Johnson, he was terrible in the 1st period but then he scored. I agree with wabwat: look at his defense only and he'd be getting the Scuderi treatment. Also, I don't think the realization has set in for most of you that the d-man back for Phoenix on the SH goal was Turris who is not a d-man and will obviously never be confused for one. Sweet goal but I actually liked his first goal more.

Anyways, I think I've had Johnson peggged as a Jovonaski in a best case scenario for awhile now. I don't think we will ever see him be that good on defense unless he completely sacrifices his offense game...basically if he neuters himself. This team needs scoring from the back-end (from everywhere really) so I'm all for letting him roam. He is a talent and should not be a square peg forced to fit in a round hole.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Johnny Utah

I think one thing that will always hurt Johnson at this level is the fact he is only 6'0"....Guys like Chris Pronger, Erik Johnson, Shea Weaber, Jovo, Bouwmeester are all 6'2 and bigger.....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 04:49 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Johnson was fine, not great, defensively in the 2nd and 3rd. In the 1st he had a few miscues, but it looked mostly like not knowing where Scuderi would be but trying to let the vet lead the play. He was looking to Scuderi instead of taking charge, and then once he scored that nice wrister, gained his confidence and started playing wonderful offensively and good enough defensively. He got a little mean a few times as well. Watching him get dumped off of a face-off was funny though.

Old
09-16-2009, 05:04 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Johnson was fine, not great, defensively in the 2nd and 3rd. In the 1st he had a few miscues, but it looked mostly like not knowing where Scuderi would be but trying to let the vet lead the play. He was looking to Scuderi instead of taking charge, and then once he scored that nice wrister, gained his confidence and started playing wonderful offensively and good enough defensively. He got a little mean a few times as well. Watching him get dumped off of a face-off was funny though.
That's the problem he had all last year too: not knowing what the other guy is doing.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
That's the problem he had all last year too: not knowing what the other guy is doing.
This is true. I'm hoping he will be paired with Scuderi long enough to not have that problem, but it is indicative of a little larger problem. I think a lot of it will be solved by confidence and offensive outbursts will only help to make him more confident.

In his defense of poor defense, he was bounced around pairings a lot last season, between Gauthier and Greene, and he didn't have the chance to get comfortable with the system in the early goings like everyone else due to the injury.

Old
09-16-2009, 05:24 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Simmonds was your guys best forward the other night. Scored both of the goals although both of them were kind of weak goals by Bryzgalov. He was skating hard, hitting, getting hit, causing traffic in front of the net. Overall just a solid game for a player that didn't have a ton of support that night. He's starting to become pretty popular amongst coyote fans for his gritty style of play. I'm happy when the guy plays, he makes the games more interesting and passionate.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Did anyone notice the stench coming from the Coyotes bench last night????

Quick notes from last night:
- Teubert was embarrasing to watch last night.
- Johnson was shaky at the beginning but after he scored his first goal he got better. Confidence will be key for him from the get go.
- Scuderi is the new Gauthier... making way too much $$$.
- Williams is awesome.
- I didn't miss Dustin Brown.
- Less Peter Harrold the better.
- Clifford should develop nicely.
- Schenn was great defensively and was solid overall.
- Loktionov wasn't as impressive, but he did pretty well on the PP.
- Doughty and Hickey ARE THE FUTURE.
- Kopitar looked more confident and dangerous in the offensive zone. I liked what saw.
- Moller was solid, but unspectacular.
- Purcell had one of his overall best games in a Kings uni.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Simmonds was your guys best forward the other night. Scored both of the goals although both of them were kind of weak goals by Bryzgalov. He was skating hard, hitting, getting hit, causing traffic in front of the net. Overall just a solid game for a player that didn't have a ton of support that night. He's starting to become pretty popular amongst coyote fans for his gritty style of play. I'm happy when the guy plays, he makes the games more interesting and passionate.
Thanks for this post

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote