HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Milwaukee Admirals and Cincinnati Cyclones Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Lambo004

vCash: 500
it's hard to bring pickard back up... it's probably better he actually plays in cincy. Dex and Smitty are holding the fort very nicely.

Old
11-15-2010, 05:35 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi View Post
Does anyone know how Josi is doing after coming back from his injury? I still think that he's the Swiss defense prospect with the highest potential - higher than Sbisa.
I listen on the radio sometimes but don't get to see him.

But previously the bloggers at Admirals Roundtable have said Josi and Blum have made a very good pairing. And in the article after the latest game they said this about Josi:

Quote:
Roman Josi scored his first North American goal in the 2nd period while the teams were playing 4×4. A shot from the slot that went over Cann’s glove.

Coach Lambert said last week that pretty soon, fans are going to be seeing that Josi may be the most talented defenseman that we’ve had in Milwaukee. And that says A LOT, considering how many defenseman playing in Nashville have spent some time here.

Old
11-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I listen on the radio sometimes but don't get to see him.

But previously the bloggers at Admirals Roundtable have said Josi and Blum have made a very good pairing. And in the article after the latest game they said this about Josi:
Thanks a lot for that info. The thing about my comparison is just that while Sbisa ist certainly further in his development, Josi has skills and an offensive instinct that you cannot teach. If he learns to adjust to the NA game (and the jury on this is still out), he may bring something to the table that I don't think may players have.

Old
11-15-2010, 06:34 PM
adsfan

I have seen Josi play twice. He looks good. He is steady on defense and carries the puck up the ice like Bobby Orr. Once he gets used to his teammates, I expect that he will be even better. He hasn't reached Shea Weber status yet.

Old
11-16-2010, 04:13 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I have seen Josi play twice. He looks good. He is steady on defense and carries the puck up the ice like Bobby Orr. Once he gets used to his teammates, I expect that he will be even better. He hasn't reached Shea Weber status yet.

Thanks for the information ... we have regretrfully no possibility to see the games here !!! (last year it was possible ... not this year)

Therefore we highly appreciate your views !!

Old
11-17-2010, 06:48 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post

Thanks for the information ... we have regretrfully no possibility to see the games here !!! (last year it was possible ... not this year)

Therefore we highly appreciate your views !!
You are welcome! I will post about Josi again after the Admirals return from their extended road trip. They return in December.

Old
11-18-2010, 03:31 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
how has Klasen looked after his 1 NHL game? Looks like he is still putting up points in AHL?
There was a good article in the latest Hockey News about Klassen. Very high praise for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
Pickard finally breaks the loss streak. Good for him! Hopefully that'll boost his confidence and he'll be able to piece it back together...
Good for Pickard. I hope he gets things going on the right track again!

Old
11-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
There was a good article in the latest Hockey News about Klassen. Very high praise for him.

!
Is there a way to get this article online somewhere?

Thanks!

Old
11-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Is there a way to get this article online somewhere?

Thanks!
It's not online, but PM me with an email address if you want a PDF copy of that article.
(I think uploading it and posting a link here would be against the site rules.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
11-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
It's not online, but PM me with an email address if you want a PDF copy of that article.
Thanks! I will.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:56 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Yes, yes it would Viqsi.

Old
11-18-2010, 03:26 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Yes, yes it would Viqsi.
but only after ths mods read it

Old
11-20-2010, 07:05 AM
OpenWheel

Dekanich is living up to his vow made when he lost out to Lindback. Said he'd "dominate" this year.

Dekanich went 38 minutes into Fridays Admirals without allowing a goal, despite being hammered with shots, (outshot 51-24 on the game, 25 shots allowed in period two alone) and extended his club record scoreless streak to 209:31 before a goal snapped it. (They ended up losing 4-3 in the shootout. Deks second scoreless streak only lasted 15 seconds... But from down 2-0 they took it to overtime.)

Scoreless streak of 209 minutes, a season save percentage of over .945 ... 8 and 3 (8-1-2) record. Wow, great job Deks!

Poile had better get something good for this guy. Especially after his years of saying how goalies were at a premium and spending two Preds first rounders on goaltending, even for Pickard when we had good goalies in the pipeline. Time for Poile to put up or shut up, and show us how goalies are tremendous assets. Other teams are promoting guys who have never done as well in the AHL as Dekanich has done for several years.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 11-20-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old
11-20-2010, 11:37 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Dekanich is living up to his vow made when he lost out to Lindback. Said he'd "dominate" this year.

Dekanich went 38 minutes into Fridays Admirals without allowing a goal, despite being hammered with shots, (outshot 51-24 on the game, 25 shots allowed in period two alone) and extended his club record scoreless streak to 209:31 before a goal snapped it. (They ended up losing 4-3 in the shootout. Deks second scoreless streak only lasted 15 seconds... But from down 2-0 they took it to overtime.)

Scoreless streak of 209 minutes, a season save percentage of over .945 ... 8 and 3 (8-1-2) record. Wow, great job Deks!

Poile had better get something good for this guy. Especially after his years of saying how goalies were at a premium and spending two Preds first rounders on goaltending, even for Pickard when we had good goalies in the pipeline. Time for Poile to put up or shut up, and show us how goalies are tremendous assets. Other teams are promoting guys who have never done as well in the AHL as Dekanich has done for several years.
The problem with trying to move Deks is that who is then the #3? Smith isn't ready. Pickard isn't. Too often we fans are so busy looking at the right now that we propose would cripple the team in the near and long term future.

Deks is right now a good AHL goalie ... but so are a lot of guys who become depth for the NHL club. Look at what Climie did last season, or Dejardins, Krahn (when healthy), Khudobin. A lot of those same names are comparables this season ... still putting up good numbers but not getting the call-up.

Tickets to see the Ads tonight and next Friday are a good thing.

Old
11-20-2010, 11:42 AM
dulzhok

Quote:

I would bring up Dekanich for a couple of games and give him a couple of starts. Sends down Anders, so he can get a bulk of games at the AHL Level. Essentially switch the two, for the sole purpose of developing both of them.

I don't see Dekanich having much trade value. Maybe a mid-round pick. For him to increase his trade value, he'll have to prove something at the NHL level.

Old
11-20-2010, 11:54 AM
OpenWheel

Yeah, when I say time for Poile to make something of him, I mean more like within the year, if Deks plays at the level he's shown in the past, or even better for this season, and has improved on the shootout. Mostly it's a jab at Poile claiming goalies have so much value that they're worth first round picks. And he has used the words "at a premium". If a forward in the AHL was dominating, he'd have real value. A goalie? Not so much.

I think it's too bad in a way Deks didn't win the backup job, for his potential value. But I doubt they'd send Anders down now for experience, if he plays well in his starts. It's more important to have a good backup.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 11-20-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old
11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Deks is a upcoming RFA who didn't win the backup job in the NHL. There won't be a big market for him and he'll get qualified this off season. If your jab at Poile is that we have a 5th rounder playing well in the AHL behind two 7th rounders who both beat him out ... wow.

Pickard is starting to look like a bust of a first round pick, but, he was a highly touted kid projected to go early and our second pick in that first round. It's the risk of relying potential and projections ... they don't always come to fruition. The only good sign is that he's only in his second pro season so there is time for him to turn his play around realize the potential that the scouts saw in him as a 17-18 yr old kid. It's highly doubtful that he'll ever be a star, but, he might grow into a serviceable player. If not, it will be only the second bust for the Preds in the 1st round (both goalies).

Old
11-20-2010, 12:42 PM
OpenWheel

No, my jab isn't that seventh rounders Poile selected panned out. It's that he selected goalies twice in the first round when seventh rounders can pan out. Goalies are clearly more of a crapshoot because they take longer before you know what you really have. So wow, for anyone still thinking it's smart to select goalies in the first round. If a goalie playing as Deks is in the AHL doesn't have value, it's pretty clear you can pick up good goalie prospects for a song, even after waiting until they show strong potential in the AHL. A team would never get a quality forward prospect as cheap at that point. That's why you need to draft them.

But what's done is done. I didn't mind our draft in '08, was just surprised we took Pickard when we drafted a goalie fairly early the previous year (Smith) and Deks was looking good. But I hoped Poile was right that he was the second coming of Jacques Plante. Any forward may have not panned out anyway, plus Pickard may be a stud someday, too early to call.

All I'm saying, is lets get some value for Deks. I assume it can happen per previous Poile statements and draft selections... Although my own guess agrees that he doesn't have much value pre-NHL. But hopefully Poile will prove me wrong and get something by next summer. Assuming Deks continues to play really well.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 11-20-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old
11-20-2010, 01:30 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

OR we do the smart thing and keep Deks and have depth between the pipes. Right now he is the closest we have to coming up if something were to happen to Peks or Anders or if either moves on when their contracts expire after next season. Better to have a quality goalie in the AHL ready potentially challenge for the #2 slot in camp and get the call-up if needed during the season. The Wild have Khudobin doing well in Houston and ready to come up when called. The Yotes have Climie. The Blues with Bishop. The Stars can call up former 1st rounder Krahn if needed.

If we "get something good" for Deks, we create a hole in the depth chart. Jeremy Smith has, what, one full game in the AHL? Pickard is struggling in the ECHL. Organizational depth is a good thing, especially young, developing goalie talent and the ONLY depth we have near ready is Deks. I just think it's premature to want to move Deks and leave a gaping hole behind our current duo in Nashville.

Old
11-20-2010, 02:21 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah, probably right. I just think you can find backup goalies, and we're not likely to need a starter. Just feel bad for Deks, that even if he lives up to his vow to dominate, there's nowhere else to play.

Old
11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Sure there is ... he just has to beat out Anders in camp next year or make himself stick on the big club if he gets the call.

As a RFA goalie, he has virtually no leverage and guys who do well in the AHL but don't get the call due to lack of space on the big club are quite common. Organizationally it is smarter to keep him as a depth player than to move him and take a lot of risk with Smith and Pickard.

Old
11-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Drafting goalies in the first round is lunacy. Just saying.

Old
11-20-2010, 06:59 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Sure there is ... he just has to beat out Anders in camp next year or make himself stick on the big club if he gets the call.

As a RFA goalie, he has virtually no leverage and guys who do well in the AHL but don't get the call due to lack of space on the big club are quite common. Organizationally it is smarter to keep him as a depth player than to move him and take a lot of risk with Smith and Pickard.
I agree. What happens if one of Nashville's duo gets hurt? Dex could be the back-up and Smith can play in Milwaukee as the #1, even if it is only a temp situation.

Old
11-21-2010, 10:53 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Drafting goalies in the first round is lunacy. Just saying.
Only for the Preds. Look how it turned out for New Jersey, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Montreal ...... Sometimes you get a year like '04 where there were four goalies taken in the first round and none of them are starters. Sometimes it's like '03 or '05 where the early goalie picks panned out. ALL draft picks are gambles.

Old
11-21-2010, 10:58 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Dex was a little off last night but had virtually no offensive support through the first 35 minutes. The first sign of life from the Ads was the flurry of perimeter shooting when they went on a lengthy 5-on-3. Too few shots, too little pressure on Bachman, all around a hard game to watch while sitting in my usual Cedar Park seats.

Josi looked pretty good. I enjoyed seeing Blum standing Wathier up on the PK ... while giving up a good 40 lbs (at least) ... beyond that there wasn't much positive of note.

Closed Thread