HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sportsnet.ca: The Toronto Maple Leafs will make the playoffs this year

Old
09-16-2009, 09:23 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Sportsnet.ca: The Toronto Maple Leafs will make the playoffs this year

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/blogs...fs_postseason/

Quote:
You may love them or loathe them, but you definitely know them... "Ladies and gentlemen, the Toronto Maple Leafs!"

And if you do bleed blue and white I'm pleased to report that after a four year play-off drought, the Leafs will return to the dance this season. Since their title run in '67 the Leafs haven't even managed to play the bridesmaid role, as they've been unable to get a sniff of the championship final. Now, we're not about to get carried away and predict the Leafs will still be skating in June, but with bridesmaids dancing in our head there does seem to be a wedding theme behind the club's post-season plan.

"Something old, something new. Something borrowed, something (black and) blue."

That could be the Leaf's official motto this year.

Old: With 34-year old Jason Allison attempting a comeback, Shaquille O'Neal should have brought him on his new reality show and whipped him in a skating race. Yes Allison is slow, but he averaged almost a point per game for a lousy Leafs squad in 2006 and the club has nothing to lose by giving him a look.

New: Not since Bill Spunska (Immortalized in the 1963 Scott Young novel "A Boy at the Leafs Camp") has Toronto boasted a young blueliner such as 2008 first rounder Luke Schenn. The Leafs also smacked a home run in this summer's draft by selecting speedy forward Nazem Kadri. Coach Ron Wilson maintains that Kadri is a long shot to make the big club this year, but the talented and tough-minded kid could make it difficult for the Leafs to send him back to junior.

Borrowed: It's still to be determined whether the Leafs can land Phil Kessel, however if they do "borrow" him from the Bruins they'll have finally landed a legitimate sniper. Critics say that by giving up a pile of picks to land Kessel, Brian Burke would become the latest in a long line of Leafs GM's who preached patience only to succumb to the pressure of grabbing a play-off spot ASAP. But Kessel is a different kettle of fish, as 21-year olds coming off 36-goal seasons don't grow on trees. Naysayer's also point out that Kessel has a rep for being a selfish player. However, as Gordon Gekko told us in 1987's "Wall Street", (A role, by the way, to be reprised by Michael Douglas in "Wall Street 2", which is set to hit the big screen in April) "Greed is good"; especially when it comes to a sniper with hungry hands.

(Black and) Blue: Okay, so a little poetic licence was required to finish this formula, but it's clear that the Leafs exhibition schedule is shaping up to be a fight to the finish. Burke wants more "Mean Machine" from his Maple Leafs and with new tough guys such as Garnet Exelby and Colton Orr intent on strutting their stuff, the pre-season could become a puncher's delight.

Speaking of which, you can punch the Leafs play-off ticket right now.

Sure, they're not as good looking as a blushing bride, and you can also forget about them serving as a bridesmaid in the Cup ceremony.

But if they can land a few more rushers and mix them in with the crushers, the Leafs are certainly qualified to be ushers.

And that's good enough to land a spot in the official play-off picture.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:28 AM
TRP

and that my friends is why fans and the media of this city are the laughing stock of fans all over the league

TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:32 AM
pagetheaj

If Kessel is traded to the Leafs, I see playoffs...right now I can see 9th in the conference.

pagetheaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:33 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

All the Leafs need is capable goaltenders and they have a good a chance as any at a playoff spot I think.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:35 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by peasey View Post
and that my friends is why fans and the media of this city are the laughing stock of fans all over the league
There has been worse written against us. Besides some reasonable points hidden in there. Gets the good points about going after Kessel.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:37 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
All the Leafs need is capable goaltenders and they have a good a chance as any at a playoff spot I think.
the guy we have slated to be our 3rd stringer had better stats last year playing with the isles than any Leaf tender did.

I think we're improved

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
If they don't improve on perhaps the worst goaltending in the league, Kessel, Hossa and Gaborik wouldn't get them there.

People just don't give enough credit to how truly horrific their tending was last year. Completely demoralizing and yet the boys kept fighting back.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 10:29 AM
TRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
There has been worse written against us. Besides some reasonable points hidden in there. Gets the good points about going after Kessel.
True there have been worse things written. However, articles like this don't help the cause, and as one of the countries 'leading' media outlets, they are just perpetuating the disdane and dislike for the leafs and their fans by exposing this sort of drivel to other fans based across the country. It is no wonder that we as fans are a laughing stock. How many times have you heard 'plan the parade route down Yonge Street' or 'maple laughs are x,y,z' ? It is because of mediums like this article that portray and lump leafs fans together as senseless, irrational, over-exicted and desparate followers of a team that has been chasing its tail since 67.

We get little respect because it is easy to poke fun of us when articles like this make headlines.

Old
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Bluez

I CANT'T F-ING WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!!!!

Potvin jersey is getting cleaned at the cleaners as I type!

Go Leafs Go!

Last edited by Bluez: 09-16-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spello
Bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Bluez

Quote:
We get little respect because it is easy to poke fun of us when articles like this make headlines.
I just wish the writers were actually leafs fans and take pride in writing a story about the Buds.They just see it as any early day off at work, write a bullshyt story or a half as$ one and who cares, It will still be a hit cuz it's about the Leafs, everyone will read!

Bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Krylian

I still don't think the Leafs will make the playoffs this season....but that's why the play the games. Right?

If this Kessel deal happens and we're out 2 first rounders then Tank Nation essentially dies!

Krylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:52 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
True there have been worse things written. However, articles like this don't help the cause, and as one of the countries 'leading' media outlets, they are just perpetuating the disdane and dislike for the leafs and their fans by exposing this sort of drivel to other fans based across the country. It is no wonder that we as fans are a laughing stock. How many times have you heard 'plan the parade route down Yonge Street' or 'maple laughs are x,y,z' ? It is because of mediums like this article that portray and lump leafs fans together as senseless, irrational, over-exicted and desparate followers of a team that has been chasing its tail since 67.

You mean the article about the Leafs having an outside chance of making the playoffs is causing people to jump on Leafs fans? It's also on a blog from S-net, which isn't really considered a strong "insightful" network. Seems like other reporters in different area's are going over their NHL teams situation at the moment as well.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Mr Scarface*

If Jason Allison comes back with all that charisma and strong physical presence, bringing all those beautiful PP points... then damn, I see 5th place. Not far from home advantage... but Leafs don't even need that, this team is so strong. What a thug team. Playoffs guaranteed. Goaltending and defense is one of the strongest packages in the league. Forwards can score (last season 10th in the league).

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
TRP

it is something posted on the Snet website. It doesn't matter if it was written by a 5th grader (which is hard to tell at times anyways), people will not diffentiate that. It is a hypothesis posted on Snet, to the average reader it looks like another piece of drivel that embarasses leaf fans.

This article clearly said the Leafs were going to make the playoffs. I hope to christ that they Leafs do because everyone in the media is hinting and leaning that way and fans are leaning that way; if they don't we'll have to hear the horns again from other fans.

Old
09-16-2009, 12:15 PM
stoney

Quote:
Amen. Cujo single-handedly lost them at minimum 4 games. Toskala's injuries can be attributed to at least 4 more. 12 points up from where we were was 8th. Better, consistent goaltending will put us in the dance.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:16 PM
stoney

Quote:
it is something posted on the Snet website. It doesn't matter if it was written by a 5th grader (which is hard to tell at times anyways), people will not diffentiate that. It is a hypothesis posted on Snet, to the average reader it looks like another piece of drivel that embarasses leaf fans.

This article clearly said the Leafs were going to make the playoffs. I hope to christ that they Leafs do because everyone in the media is hinting and leaning that way and fans are leaning that way; if they don't we'll have to hear the horns again from other fans.
I would have to disagree here. I think they will make the playoffs, however a lot of writers/fans not only think they won't, they hope they won't.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:17 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
Amen. Cujo single-handedly lost them at minimum 4 games. Toskala's injuries can be attributed to at least 4 more. 12 points up from where we were was 8th. Better, consistent goaltending will put us in the dance.
I agree, weak goals cost this team so many games. Toskala after the all-star break showed this team competes with good goaltending.

Toskala went 7-0-4 after the Allstar break to the point where he shut it down.

Last edited by TOG26: 09-16-2009 at 12:23 PM.
TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:19 PM
New Liskeard

[QUOTE=Krylian;21119052]I still don't think the Leafs will make the playoffs this season....but that's why the play the games. Right?

If this Kessel deal happens and we're out 2 first rounders then Tank Nation essentially dies![/QUOTE]

That's a good thing. As posted below, average goaltending last year would have put the Leafs in the playoffs. I would bet they will make it this year.

New Liskeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:24 PM
NomNom
Oh Yeah

Send a message via Skype™ to NomNom
Quote:

Why would it matter if we were to hear from other fans. It's nothing new, it won't change no matter what. Even if the Leafs were to win the Cup, people will still find a way to nitpick and find a scapegoat for negativity. It comes with the territory of being a Leafs fan, learn to absorb and repel it, and just ignore it all together ... no big deal.

The above article, as somebody already mentioned is a hypothesis which makes valid points. Nothing far-fetched, or exaggerated -- so if people are going get all twisted up on it, then boo on them.

NomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
Why would it matter if we were to hear from other fans. It's nothing new, it won't change no matter what. Even if the Leafs were to win the Cup, people will still find a way to nitpick and find a scapegoat for negativity. It comes with the territory of being a Leafs fan, learn to absorb and repel it, and just ignore it all together ... no big deal.

The above article, as somebody already mentioned is a hypothesis which makes valid points. Nothing far-fetched, or exaggerated -- so if people are going get all twisted up on it, then boo on them.
Kids these days worry about the silliest things.

ACC1224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
TRP

Thanks to the actions of the old guys; us 'kids' have to deal with a barrage of thinly vailed insults and banter based on idiots who claimed every year 'this is the year we make it,' and a media stream that attempts to make leafs fans hang on their every word. After management finally created a new culture for fans (slow process, it takes time, yada yada) it is disheartening to see that now, with a glimpse of hope for the future, the ways of the old are coming back again. Over excited, premature, wagon jumpers who, within no time, will be repeating the same old garbage that made us look bad as fans in the past.

It becomes tiring and taxing as a fan to be lumped into a category that is represented symbolically by idiots. Hope that answers that for you, grandpa.

Old
09-16-2009, 01:32 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
I feel more confident this year compared to last. I love this uncertainty. I have NO clue how we're gonna turn out this season.

All I can say is Screw the Tank!

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:36 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
That's what I think too.

There are a lot of question marks in the East.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:37 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetheaj View Post
If Kessel is traded to the Leafs, I see playoffs...right now I can see 9th in the conference.
I agree with this.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:41 PM
burke4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I feel more confident this year compared to last. I love this uncertainty. I have NO clue how we're gonna turn out this season.

All I can say is Screw the Tank!
we will do well...

burke4life is offline   Reply With Quote