HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2009, 02:51 PM
  #1
gobolt7
Registered User
 
gobolt7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida.
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,243
vCash: 500
Around the NHL

With the games starting, and news all over the place, it may not be a bad idea to have a thread dedicated to news from around the league. If one of our awesome, overworked, underpaid mods could sticky this, I would be forever greatful.

I will kick it off, apparently Elias is out 4-6 weeks after surgery, the latter end of that time table has him out opening night against us.

gobolt7 is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 11:57 AM
  #2
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 19,538
vCash: 500
Thrashers have invited Afinogenov to their camp for a tryout

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
  #3
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,167
vCash: 500
I thought they were going to sign Zherdev!?!?!


Still All In is offline  
Old
09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
  #4
gobolt7
Registered User
 
gobolt7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida.
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I thought they were going to sign Zherdev!?!?!

All the money is tied up in the Kovy talks!

gobolt7 is offline  
Old
09-23-2009, 12:27 PM
  #5
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 19,538
vCash: 500
Bryan McCabe is the new captain of the Panthers

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
09-23-2009, 02:25 PM
  #6
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,361
vCash: 500
Kolzig officially retires.

IdealisticSniper is offline  
Old
09-30-2009, 10:16 AM
  #7
gobolt7
Registered User
 
gobolt7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida.
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,243
vCash: 500
Cam Ward, 6 years, 37.8 million.

Another case of a player that got hot at the right time cashing in.

gobolt7 is offline  
Old
09-30-2009, 11:15 AM
  #8
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,101
vCash: 500
Well Ward has done well in two playoff appearances (4-0 in game 7's) and his stats have improved each year. He's still 25 so he's not in his prime yet so it's a good deal for Carolina. Maybe overpaid a little, but goaltending isn't a position to go cheap on.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
09-30-2009, 11:29 AM
  #9
gobolt7
Registered User
 
gobolt7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida.
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Well Ward has done well in two playoff appearances (4-0 in game 7's) and his stats have improved each year. He's still 25 so he's not in his prime yet so it's a good deal for Carolina. Maybe overpaid a little, but goaltending isn't a position to go cheap on.
A goaltender that has had back issues, on a team that has struggled with consistancy (lets not forget, there were times last year where it was not a sure thing they were even getting in the postseason) is worth 6+ for 6 years? More then overpaid a little...

gobolt7 is offline  
Old
09-30-2009, 11:41 AM
  #10
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,101
vCash: 500
He's a top 10 goalie in the league and along with Staal is their franchise. He's more than proven himself to be a goalie that can take Carolina deep in the playoffs. If he were to hit the market, he'd probably get a contract similar to that. You have to overpay to keep franchise players long term(we've been doing that since the lockout) unless you're Detroit and can Jedi mindtrick guys in to taking less. I'd rather give Ward that type of money knowing what he can do rather than a guy like Huet. It's Carolina so I hope this turns out to be a bad contract for them, but I think Ward is a guy worthy of a long term deal like that.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
09-30-2009, 12:32 PM
  #11
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
He's a top 10 goalie in the league and along with Staal is their franchise. He's more than proven himself to be a goalie that can take Carolina deep in the playoffs. If he were to hit the market, he'd probably get a contract similar to that. You have to overpay to keep franchise players long term(we've been doing that since the lockout) unless you're Detroit and can Jedi mindtrick guys in to taking less. I'd rather give Ward that type of money knowing what he can do rather than a guy like Huet. It's Carolina so I hope this turns out to be a bad contract for them, but I think Ward is a guy worthy of a long term deal like that.
I disagree that hes top ten, but when it counts (playoffs), hes dynamite.

Still All In is offline  
Old
09-30-2009, 01:08 PM
  #12
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,167
vCash: 500
So, waiver claims and disgruntled players...

Kostitsyn is interesting.

Still All In is offline  
Old
10-01-2009, 06:32 PM
  #13
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,167
vCash: 500
Haha, Montreal looks terrible right now.

Still All In is offline  
Old
10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
  #14
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh is it Saturday yet?

Doctor Drej is offline  
Old
10-01-2009, 08:45 PM
  #15
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,167
vCash: 500
Haha, Komisarek is such a ****ing ******.

Still All In is offline  
Old
10-01-2009, 09:13 PM
  #16
Sear91
Registered User
 
Sear91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,330
vCash: 435
Well, Washington stomped Boston...

Sear91 is offline  
Old
10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
  #17
gobolt7
Registered User
 
gobolt7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida.
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,243
vCash: 500
7 goals in a game that has Luongo and Kipper as your starting goalies, doubt many people took the over on that one...

gobolt7 is offline  
Old
10-01-2009, 11:22 PM
  #18
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,036
vCash: 500
Nashville placed Cal O'Reilly on waivers to send him to Milwaukee. I skated with him over summer a couple years ago and have followed his progress. He's a really smart player who is defensively responsible. I wish we would claim him because look at the stats he's put up in the AHL and in limited action in the NHL. Unreal hands, great vision, and can take care of his own end. Reminds me a lot of Weiss and I think he will become a top 6 forward.

PanthersRule96 is offline  
Old
10-01-2009, 11:39 PM
  #19
gobolt7
Registered User
 
gobolt7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida.
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Nashville placed Cal O'Reilly on waivers to send him to Milwaukee. I skated with him over summer a couple years ago and have followed his progress. He's a really smart player who is defensively responsible. I wish we would claim him because look at the stats he's put up in the AHL and in limited action in the NHL. Unreal hands, great vision, and can take care of his own end. Reminds me a lot of Weiss and I think he will become a top 6 forward.
Good to hear, thanks for stopping by!

In other news, someone in the greater Tampa area will be thrilled tonight, David Koci dropped the gloves.

gobolt7 is offline  
Old
10-02-2009, 02:34 AM
  #20
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 19,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Nashville placed Cal O'Reilly on waivers to send him to Milwaukee. I skated with him over summer a couple years ago and have followed his progress. He's a really smart player who is defensively responsible. I wish we would claim him because look at the stats he's put up in the AHL and in limited action in the NHL. Unreal hands, great vision, and can take care of his own end. Reminds me a lot of Weiss and I think he will become a top 6 forward.
I believe you posted in the wrong forum.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
10-02-2009, 02:23 PM
  #21
Tokala
Registered User
 
Tokala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Canadiens lose Andrei Markov for 4 months with a torn tendon suffered in the 3rd period of their season opener.

Tokala is offline  
Old
10-02-2009, 02:32 PM
  #22
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
Canadiens lose Andrei Markov for 4 months with a torn tendon suffered in the 3rd period of their season opener.
First bright light of the year for us. Hate to see the guy get hurt but it obviously helps us in the standings.

Still All In is offline  
Old
10-05-2009, 09:58 AM
  #23
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,962
vCash: 500
GD. First my favorite player, Shanahan, says he's taking the season off, and now my interim favorite and heir to the throne Erik Cole is out 4-6 weeks. Most notable because the only time I'm seeing Carolina in person this season is on Saturday.

I don't even have a clear favorite third on my depth chart. I'll need to name an acting favorite player before too long, at least to keep the peasants from growing restless. Now this can't be just anybody, it needs to be someone who can handle the responsibilities and privileges that go along with being my favorite player.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
  #24
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
GD. First my favorite player, Shanahan, says he's taking the season off, and now my interim favorite and heir to the throne Erik Cole is out 4-6 weeks. Most notable because the only time I'm seeing Carolina in person this season is on Saturday.

I don't even have a clear favorite third on my depth chart. I'll need to name an acting favorite player before too long, at least to keep the peasants from growing restless. Now this can't be just anybody, it needs to be someone who can handle the responsibilities and privileges that go along with being my favorite player.
This post screams Zenon Konopka.

Still All In is offline  
Old
10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
  #25
gobolt7
Registered User
 
gobolt7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida.
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,243
vCash: 500
Prospal with a 3 point game...prepare for the "ZOMG Lawton is an idiot, Tamper Bay shouldnt have gotten rid of him" posts.

gobolt7 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.