Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason # 2 vs. Canucks 9/17/09 7pm

Old
09-17-2009, 11:39 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
That was a pretty terrible game... i thought the ducks played pretty BAD... obvs some ppl looked great like koivu, n selanne, nieds, mccue was a train lmao hahaha, i dunno about giggy, the 2nd goal he had no change, the 1st was kinda bad luck i suppose, i thought eveyr1 seemed gassed today for some reason,

EDIT: Is the coaching staff EVER gonna get on whitney's case for not blasting it? honestly.. it really seemed like we lacked point prescence on the PP today... whitney COULD bring that prescence

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:12 AM
ericnut

vCash: 500
Just got back from the game. I'm going to make a comment about everyone that played.

Josh Brittain - Tried hard, but lacks the skill.

Saku Koivu - Looked good--I'm excited about a full year of him centering Selanne.

Corey Perry - He must hate Kesler! Perry missed Getzlaf.

Kyle Calder - Could be a decent third line checker.

Andrew Ebbett - He wants to make the team and I think he should, but I'm not sure whos spot he takes. He played good.

Teemu Selanne - His touch isn't there, but you can tell he has chemistry with Koivu.

Ryan Donally - Huh?

Todd Marchant - Played good. I'm really glad we resigned him.

George Parros - Looked like the George before he signed a three year deal.

Matt McCue - He can fight, but that's about it.

Brandon McMillan - I loved this kid. He's super fast and he gives it his all every shift. He passes well and his hockey sense seems great. He looked really good on the PK.

Shawn Weller - Didn't impress.

Scott Niedermayer - Scott Niedermayer > Pronger.

Matt Clark - I loved this kid--he can play. He has the size and he skates very well. Also, he loves to throw a hit and he's good at it.

Mark Mitera - He looked big and slow. I was not impressed.

James Wisniewski - He looked like our second best defenseman.

Ryan Whitney - I'm still skeptical on Whitney. He played decent.

Stefan Warg - Good luck in the AHL. He looked... bad.

Jean-Sebastien Giguere - I expect Hiller to win the starting job.

Justin Pogge - He looked decent. Wasn't really tested.

Last edited by ericnut: 09-18-2009 at 12:21 AM.
ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Kesler needs to be taken care of. What a *****.
We feel the same way about Perry.

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:07 AM
190Octane

What about MacMillen?

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Elvs

My take at it (didn't see the 3rd period):

Koivu - looked really good. Worked hard in all three zones.
Ebbett - looked tougher than last year in some situations. But didn't look like a top six forward.
Marchant - looked good.
McMillan - His speed probably makes him look better than he is. Was ok.

Brittain - Worked hard but didn't shine.
Calder - Had a few good shifts and some bad ones. Doesn't look like an upgrade to the team.
McCue - could fight, and was better than I expected him to be.
MacMillan - was a surprise. Needs to improve on his skating, but he could get a callup during the season.

Perry - I didn't notice him that much really. Probably was among the better players on the team.
Selanne - looked really good. Still incredible skating and had some chances. He'll score when he gets a few more games in his legs.
Parros - Didn't notice him that much, but was ok.
Weller - Didn't get much ice time I think. Threw a couple of nice hits.

Niedermayer - looked good.
Clark - a surprise. Didn't stand out but didn't do any heavy mistakes.
Mitera - could improve his skating, especially in turning. With that, more balance will follow. With that he could be good. Needs more time in the AHL.
Wisniewski - was good all around.
Whitney - didn't impress considering the competition.
Warg - see Mitera. Was a 5th round pick though, and he could become serviceable in the future.

Giguere - looked ok I guess. The 2nd goal wasn't much to do about.
Pogge - only saw him for 8 minutes or so. No comment.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:29 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Ah yes, its not a Ducks-Canucks game without some absolute questionable calls. What the hell was that holding call on Scotty? It didn't look like a hold, but there's little point in arguing it.

As for some of the players, I can't really fault Giguere for the goals. The team looked sluggish at times, aside from some of the regulars. Jiggy looked decent other than that. Mitera and Warg looked very much like this was their first game, thankfully we're in no need to rush them, so they'll get their time in the AHL to develop. Pogge wasn't really tested, so its hard to really comment on him. Whitney though...I was genuinely frustrated with him. He didn't play bad, but I expect much more from a second pairing guy. The skill is there, you can see it, but he seemed to underwhelm. Wiz was awesome though.

Koivu looked good, I'm really excited about him and Teemu on the second line. Ebbett impressed me, had some hustle played an overall solid game. Where he'll fit is beyond me. Calder didn't really stand out. He wasn't horrible, but I don't see him as an improvement on anyone who is fitting on the bottom six. Scotty and Marchant were reliable as usual, Parros I didn't notice a whole lot, which I assume is good as he didn't make any glaring mistakes. Perry was, well, Perry. He missed Getzy I think.

As for more of the rookies, MacMillan looked good I thought (having MacMillan and McMillan is going to be confusing as hell). Clark really impressed me, once he develops I think we have a solid second-pairing defenseman there. McCue was ok, not afraid to get into it, basically a Dirk prospect. Brittain needs some work.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:33 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Just got back from the game. I'm going to make a comment about everyone that played.

Josh Brittain - Tried hard, but lacks the skill.

Saku Koivu - Looked good--I'm excited about a full year of him centering Selanne.

Corey Perry - He must hate Kesler! Perry missed Getzlaf.

Kyle Calder - Could be a decent third line checker.

Andrew Ebbett - He wants to make the team and I think he should, but I'm not sure whos spot he takes. He played good.

Teemu Selanne - His touch isn't there, but you can tell he has chemistry with Koivu.

Ryan Donally - Huh?

Todd Marchant - Played good. I'm really glad we resigned him.

George Parros - Looked like the George before he signed a three year deal.

Matt McCue - He can fight, but that's about it.

Brandon McMillan - I loved this kid. He's super fast and he gives it his all every shift. He passes well and his hockey sense seems great. He looked really good on the PK.

Shawn Weller - Didn't impress.

Scott Niedermayer - Scott Niedermayer > Pronger.

Matt Clark - I loved this kid--he can play. He has the size and he skates very well. Also, he loves to throw a hit and he's good at it.

Mark Mitera - He looked big and slow. I was not impressed.

James Wisniewski - He looked like our second best defenseman.

Ryan Whitney - I'm still skeptical on Whitney. He played decent.

Stefan Warg - Good luck in the AHL. He looked... bad.

Jean-Sebastien Giguere - I expect Hiller to win the starting job.

Justin Pogge - He looked decent. Wasn't really tested.
I agree with everything other than Brittain, Calder and Giguere. Jiggy was pretty solid, the second goal he had no chance on but he was out of position for the first goal. Brittain showed glimpses of skill, but he is definitely a project at this point. As for Calder, we have too many guys like him fighting for jobs at the moment, I'd rather the young guys fought for a third/fourth line spot than see him given one.

Donally didn't play, Macmillan played instead and was pretty solid and although he's still questionable as a first round pick, I can definitely see the value in players like him.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:50 AM
ericnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I agree with everything other than Brittain, Calder and Giguere. Jiggy was pretty solid, the second goal he had no chance on but he was out of position for the first goal. Brittain showed glimpses of skill, but he is definitely a project at this point. As for Calder, we have too many guys like him fighting for jobs at the moment, I'd rather the young guys fought for a third/fourth line spot than see him given one.

Donally didn't play, Macmillan played instead and was pretty solid and although he's still questionable as a first round pick, I can definitely see the value in players like him.
Jiggy was way out of position on the first goal and out of position on a few other shots. The reason I said Calder would be a good third line checker is because we are not going to have a "checking line". Randy has said were looking for three scoring lines.

McMillan played a lot better than MacMillan.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Jerky Leclerc

Kyle Calder has no business on a top 6 position. He was a stiff and the Koivu/Selanne line played alot better with Todd Marchant. Mark Mitera needs to learn that you can't do the same stuff in college like you do in the NHL. One turnover and that can cost a goal. The kid needs a year or two in the AHL. Warg was horrible...simply horrible. I like Matt Clark though. The kid is skinny up top but you have to like his compete level. Can someone tell Corey Perry that an "A" on his chest doesn't mean he has to fight. I know Kesler is a big A-hole but there's no point in hurting yourself in a pre-season game. Koivu and Selanne were too cute and somewhat rusty, although the potential is there for some awesome chemistry. I like to see Ryan Carter or Nokelainnen on their line to do some grunt work along the boards. In the end, the Ducks were outplayed by the Canucks and we had a difficult time moving the puck from defense to forward.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Talentless Practise*

What was very peculiar to me about Warg was that he kept skating the puck out of the zone only to lose it at the blueline and be caught out of position in the neutral zone as a result. Either that or a lazy lob into the other end. Not much breakout passing happening with him.

Mitera was awful as well but seemd to settle down a little in the 3rd. Hopefully he gets another game before being cut so we can see what he can really do without the butterflies.

Clark was really good considering where he's at, covering up for Scotty (who i thought was pretty ho-hum) a bunch of times.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Elvs

You guys should take into account that Mitera and Warg played over 20 minutes. With no experience in the AHL whatsoever. Being nervous, playing that much at a tempo you are not used to isn't easy.

Old
09-18-2009, 04:26 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

I think ebbett could be our 3rd line LW. He played well last night and showed that he still can make plays at the elite level despite his size. It could work.

c4rcy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 05:33 PM
duckster24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
You guys should take into account that Mitera and Warg played over 20 minutes. With no experience in the AHL whatsoever. Being nervous, playing that much at a tempo you are not used to isn't easy.
Mitera played 5 games in the AHL last year after his college season was over.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93750

duckster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckster24 View Post

i'd consider 5 games no experience. wouldnt you? are you trying to outwit the original poster or something? the kid was out the entire ncaa season with a terrible knee injury. he's gonna play the whole year in the AHL this year barring an emergency and he's gonna get the experience he needs. and this ahl year will be nothign but good for him.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckster24 View Post

I know. But that is really not anything.