Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New skates hurt my feet?

09-17-2009, 01:02 PM
vCash: 500
New skates hurt my feet?

I recently started skating with the intention of starting a hockey career at age 38. My 'Adult Learn to Play Hockey' class starts on Oct. 6th.

I purchased some Easton SE10's in 8 Wide. They feel good on my feet, but after skating the top outer edge of my feet hurt. I have experimented with looser laces and that seems to help a bit, but I have a lot more confidence and can skate better when my laces are tight and my foot is locked in.

When I went to buy skates it was between the Rbk 5k in 8 regular and the SE10 in 8 wide. The local hockey shop didn't have the 5k in 8 wide. I really liked the 5k because of what seemed be more padding on the inside of the skate???

Now I'm wondering if I should have gotten, or I still should get the 8 wide in the 5k?

The inside of the SE10 just feels really hard around the mid and forefoot area. They fit like a glove after baking and skating about 10 hours in them, but still I feel like the 5k may have been a more comfortable choice.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Just FYI. I'm a big boy at 260lbs.

usualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
09-17-2009, 01:17 PM
i;m no expert on skates or probably know just as much as you do, but I think all new skates hurt your first for the frist few times you wear them.

yes some fit better then others, but all will hurt your feet the first few times..

I experienced these with my RBK's as well.. but now they feel great! with the hard toe's they use these days and the materials they use are less flexible then the older skates and therefore take a bit of time before it feels good..

but i can just be telling u completely wrong info and you should just go to the hockey store and get it fit properly.. or just go and get yourself the 5's if they feel better

johentie is offline   Reply With Quote
09-17-2009, 01:23 PM
[insert joke here]
Try just loosening the lace in the forefoot and tight around the ankle and heel. If the laces don't stay, put waxed ones in instead, they help with that.

And while the 5k may be more comfortable, you'll get better performance and protection out of the SE10, and they're lighter as well.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote