HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Bondra

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Buddah

vCash: 500
Bondra

Any news on his condition?

Old
04-04-2004, 01:35 PM
felixd

? I went to the Phila-Ottawa game friday and he looked fine. Crazy slapshot he had too

Old
04-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Buddah

He was hurt last night in the game versus Toronto. He had his head down and was about three feet from the boards and Domi got a clean hit off that took him out of the game.

Old
04-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah
He was hurt last night in the game versus Toronto. He had his head down and was about three feet from the boards and Domi got a clean hit off that took him out of the game.
You thought that was clean? I don't think Domi meant to hit him from behind. There was a similar play to that when Neil hit Reichel into the boards.....although Reichel didn't have the puck. I know Domi didn't try to hit him from behind, but it looked like Bondra was turning around to go the other way, and some idiots turn to take a hit from behind. Although Bondra turned, i've seen that call still made several times this year. I'm not so certain that should have been called but the play should have stopped. Who thought it was clean/dirty?

Old
04-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
You thought that was clean? I don't think Domi meant to hit him from behind. There was a similar play to that when Neil hit Reichel into the boards.....although Reichel didn't have the puck. I know Domi didn't try to hit him from behind, but it looked like Bondra was turning around to go the other way, and some idiots turn to take a hit from behind. Although Bondra turned, i've seen that call still made several times this year. I'm not so certain that should have been called but the play should have stopped. Who thought it was clean/dirty?
Every analyst, broadcaster, and newspaper I've heard/read has all concluded it was clean. The league decided it was clean. The refs decided it was clean. Havn't heard heavy outcry from the Sens players about it being a dirty hit (they normally do, much like the Leafs, point out when they feel they've been wronged). It sounds to me like it was clean.

Old
04-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Every analyst, broadcaster, and newspaper I've heard/read has all concluded it was clean. The league decided it was clean. The refs decided it was clean. Havn't heard heavy outcry from the Sens players about it being a dirty hit (they normally do, much like the Leafs, point out when they feel they've been wronged). It sounds to me like it was clean.
Greg, what really got to me (and I assume others) was the events around that hit.

Exhibit A was the boarding penalty on Niel for a similar (yet not as severe, Reichel was completely on the ice before hitting the boards). One is called, and the other wasn't (which was oar for that game).

Exhibit B was the Ref NOT stopping play for our injured player, leading to a Leaf goal.

Exhibit C is the Ref calling a delayed penalty on the Sens (which was a reasonable call) on the play.

I know I completely lost it after watching that entire sequence, as it bordered on the absurd. The hit WAS a penalty (but I wouldn't have a huge problem letting it go IF they hadn't called one on us earlier AND you let the retaliation go). They of course did neither....

Old
04-04-2004, 03:50 PM
gbl1p

Sure, it's a clean hit. But it's no coincidence that Domi is involved in yet another controversial one. In all honesty, I think Domi should have been called with charging. Domi clearly took more than 5 strides while accelerating to catch Bondra with his head down. Sure it was a clean impact, but considering the chincy call they fed Neil, I think it would have been appropriate to get Domi. Regardless, it would have been nullified by Smokes elbow.

I'm not too bothered about Domi's act, so much as the unpenalized-Bondra-injured outcome.

How would Leaf fans react if, say Neiler, had a good charge at someone like Mogilny or Francis? Throw in an unknown, potentially serious injury to the recipient. Not pretty, but it's hockey. I'd take Domi on my team because he's a fearsome player. I just hate playing against the guy because I've seen him make too many questionable plays. When the game is clearly out of hand, was there a real need to wipe Bondra out like that? Bondra is hardly known as someone who needs a good licking or who plays with an edge. I just think this is bad timing and inappropriate on Domi's behalf and I sincerely hope that Bondra is fine and will be back in full effect for game 1.

Old
04-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Greg, what really got to me (and I assume others) was the events around that hit.

Exhibit A was the boarding penalty on Niel for a similar (yet not as severe, Reichel was completely on the ice before hitting the boards). One is called, and the other wasn't (which was oar for that game).

Exhibit B was the Ref NOT stopping play for our injured player, leading to a Leaf goal.

Exhibit C is the Ref calling a delayed penalty on the Sens (which was a reasonable call) on the play.

I know I completely lost it after watching that entire sequence, as it bordered on the absurd. The hit WAS a penalty (but I wouldn't have a huge problem letting it go IF they hadn't called one on us earlier AND you let the retaliation go). They of course did neither....
I was only responding to the question, I didn't give personal views, as I did not actually see the first two periods of the game (heard the 2nd on the radio...)

However, the ref had no business blowing the whistle for Bondra, so why would that make you mad? The Sens needed to control the puck, they didn't. Simple as that. If they had of blown the whistle, Leafs fans would have a right to be irate about that.

Old
04-04-2004, 04:33 PM
GoethesGouda

I'm going to say this one last time.

Sure it was a legal check, but it was still a cheapshot. Bondra was tied up with another player and vulnerable. Domi creamed him. I'm sure some Leaf fans really enjoyed it (we know some enjoyed the fact that Bondra was injured), but if the rolls were reversed and it was Volchenkov hitting Mogilny in the same fashion, Leaf fans would be in an uproar. And that's a fact.

Whatever... Bondra is probably out for at least the first round (probably longer). I hope the Sens remember that hit when they head into the ACC this weak. Let's use it as motivation. That's what I used to do.

Old
04-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

I felt it was a clean hit - Bondra has to keep his head up on such plays.

The frustrating part was that Neil hit Reichel with basically the same type of positioning and got a penalty. The consistency thing is frustrating when you get the short end. And don't kid yourself, Reichel definitely was attempting to get the puck that was coming along the boards. As such, it was very frustrating, especially when they didn't call the play dead due to the injury

As to Smoke, he took a cheap shot at Domi and deserved the penalty. It was just one of several stupid penalties Ottawa took. Let's hope it's out of their system.

Old
04-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Transplanted Caper

Personally, I think the hit was clean. Now, I know that it was similar to the Neil hit, but I dont think that one was dirty either. Hopefully Bondra is allright

Old
04-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
I was only responding to the question, I didn't give personal views, as I did not actually see the first two periods of the game (heard the 2nd on the radio...)

However, the ref had no business blowing the whistle for Bondra, so why would that make you mad? The Sens needed to control the puck, they didn't. Simple as that. If they had of blown the whistle, Leafs fans would have a right to be irate about that.
If the Ref feels it is a "serious" injury, they can blow the play dead. After having just decided to let a penalty go uncalled (2 minute boarding, nothing major), the least you can do is blow the whistle. It was similar to when Alfie hit Tucker, and then scored with Tucker laying on the ice. You guys were none too pleased with that turn of events....

Old
04-04-2004, 07:15 PM
DocHolliday

Quote:
If the Ref feels it is a "serious" injury, they can blow the play dead. After having just decided to let a penalty go uncalled (2 minute boarding, nothing major), the least you can do is blow the whistle. It was similar to when Alfie hit Tucker, and then scored with Tucker laying on the ice. You guys were none too pleased with that turn of events....
That is because that was a dirty hit. I owuldn't blow a damned thing dead for Tucker because he pulls the Claude Lemieux and acts like he's been shot everytime he goes down

Old
04-04-2004, 08:00 PM
The Jerk

if you think Domi's hit was dirty, then Smolinski's elbow (which he was getting penalized for) must have been too, no?

Old
04-04-2004, 08:16 PM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah
Any news on his condition?
Yes, anyone, news on his condition, not WAS it a dirty/clean hit..

Old
04-04-2004, 08:27 PM
sidewalkslam

Quote:
Exhibit A was the boarding penalty on Niel for a similar (yet not as severe, Reichel was completely on the ice before hitting the boards). One is called, and the other wasn't (which was oar for that game.)
Well when you have Mcreary reffing Sens game, you can expect him to favor the other team. He better not ref any games in the playoffs. And i'm not making exceuses or anything because he's done it in every single Sens game he reffed.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Steve

With respect to the Neil hit, I think he diserved a penalty. The hit itself was clean, but he hit Reichel just a couple of strides before Reichel had the puck. 1-2 seconds later, that would have been a good hit.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
They said on Canoe that both Spezza and Bondra would be ready for game 1. I'm not sure if that's true but lets hope. I never saw the hit myself but I witnessed McCreary basically making an ass of himself out there calling the Sens on every single physical play. If he's reffing the series just hand it to the Leafs...otherwise it'll be a good one.

Old
04-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
With respect to the Neil hit, I think he diserved a penalty. The hit itself was clean, but he hit Reichel just a couple of strides before Reichel had the puck. 1-2 seconds later, that would have been a good hit.
Steve, Reichel had just hit the puck, it wasn't interference. They called boarding, don't know why.

Smolinski's elbow WAS a penalty. But they saw the other penalty, and chose not to call it, why only call the Smolinski penalty?

Old
04-05-2004, 10:11 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Dean Brown called the Team 1200 a minute ago...

Bondra is fine...he's skating and looking good apparently.

Old
04-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Dean Brown called the Team 1200 a minute ago...

Bondra is fine...he's skating and looking good apparently.
Whoooaaaaaaaa!!!

Old
04-05-2004, 02:11 PM
SumOfUs

Thank God.

Old
04-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Spezza

Thats good news!

Old
04-05-2004, 02:21 PM
sidewalkslam

The Toronto star is also reporting that he should be ready before game 1.

I guess Chara is really going to be looking out for him, if Domi comes anywhere close to him, expect Chara to be there too.

Old
04-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Leafer4Life
Go Leafs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Leafer4Life Send a message via Yahoo to Leafer4Life
Guys, saying that the hit is legal, BUT Domi should've still gotten a penalty is kinda contradicting yourselves is it not? If a hit on a player is legal, of course there isn't going to be a penalty! Domi's hit was clean, as Bondra still had the puck. No penalty was necessary.........

Closed Thread