HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Pre-Season: San Jose @ Los Angeles - 9/17/09 - 7:30PM

Old
09-18-2009, 12:29 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Fro-LOAF!
Yeah? And yet everyone thought he had such a bad game.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Yeah? And yet everyone thought he had such a bad game.
Never underestimate the power of denial.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:42 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Fro-LOAF!
If he had shot more, he could have been the #1 star.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:45 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
If he had shot more, he could have been the #1 star.
He might have even scored a goal and won the game.

Old
09-18-2009, 12:56 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/gallery#..._jose_shar%3A1

Clifford!

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Omni Owl

How did Loktionov and Schenn look?

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:05 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Hah, all the pictures are of people falling over each other.

Old
09-18-2009, 01:07 AM
RightKinger

lol what's going on here -

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/56/fu..._jose_shar.jpg

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Overall, it was a really ugly game. A lot of the penalty calls were just awful. They could have let half go and on the other hand they could have controlled the game better. The whole Johnson-Joslin fight was directly the officials losing control. The Instigator on Ivanans in my opinion was bad and so was the extra two on Johnson.

Drewiske took a puck off the face late in the game. He got up and left the ice under his own stamina and he wasn't bleeding but it couldn't have been too good for the face.

Johnson had a good game, he did have a rough patch midway through the third though.

While talking to a fellow board member he thinks Andrew Campbell sucks. Have to agree.

I thought the goal Quick allowed was weak. It wasn't a great angle and it somehow found it's way. Something that Quick needs to stop. He was solid the rest of the game and made several key saves late that kept the Sharks from winning in overtime. Besides that the rest of the game was kind of boring. Even the two two-man advantages for San Jose weren't even that strong .

Loktionov has tremendous vision and that alone will probably get him in the NHL one day. He made a couple outstanding plays. His pass led to the Brown goal. Although that was a complete mistake by San Jose's defensemen. It's not like he feathered a pass there. Brown was standing in front and absolutely no one was even remotely close except for Griess.

Clifford is going to be a player that's for sure. He's going to be a guy who we hope can be on the 2nd line with Schenn centering. This is a pick you understand after watching him play that's for sure. The hooking penalty he took in overtime was a complete ******** call.

Schenn is a smart player that's for sure and they didn't have any problem with having him play in any position. He also won a good amount of important draws at least in my mind he did. Only problem I had was there was a 2 on 1 late in the game and he stopped moving his feet and it allowed SJ to have a little bit more pressure and he sailed a pass to JJ. Of which the dumbasses behind me blamed Johnson for missing a pass 2 feet into the air.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:18 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Thanks for the recap Belanger25.

Old
09-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Just got back...

The Good
Simmonds
Loktionov
Clifford
Mullen(looked calm)
Johnson
Doughty
Quick
O'Donnell(taking in the fact that he's almost 40)
Schenn

The Bad
Frolov(didn't stand out...coasting around and hooking guys he can't keep up with)
Moller(maybe not bad...but didn't notice him either)
Segal(guy didn't do much to make himself get noticed)

Last edited by Cook24: 09-18-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign24 View Post
The Bad
Frolov(didn't stand out...coasting around and hooking everyone)
Everyone? Really?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:26 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Who did Johnson fight and what did it look like. JJ seems to not be f'ing around anymore.

Please don't start with the MF stuff until it is warranted everybody...please.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:28 AM
regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
How did Loktionov and Schenn look?
Just got back from the game. Here is my take on those guys.

Loktinov looks smooth with the puck and has pretty decent poise driving into the zone. Tried a few no look passes that did not work. Didn't really have any great scoring chances that I remember, but seems to be the type of player that can make others around him better. Needs to work on face offs, he lost almost every crucial face off at the end of the game. Also took a needless penalty towards the end that should of cost us the game in regulation (cross checked from Dan Hinote driving aimlessly by himself into the corner with a Kings D man on him). I say should have cost us the game in regulation because Doughty whiffed on a clearing pass, and he and I believe Johnson dove in front of the wide open (goalie pulled) net, and the Sharks player chipped if over the open net. That should have been game, set, match. Anyway, Loki stepped up and made the beautiful pass off of a scrum along the nearside boards directly across the crease to a wide, and I mean never in NHL 10 will you get this wide open Dustin Brown, who with one quick fake put the puck in an open net. Could he play at the NHL level right now? Probably, but I really don't think there is the need to rush him at this point. The puck was poked away from him during the shootout.

Schenn also took some physical punishment out there, but what really impressed me was how defensively responsible he played. He was very solid on D, and seemed to have quite a few takeaways. Had some difficulty with the puck tonight, bounced off his stick quite a bit. Did okay on face offs early, seemed to lose all of the important ones at the end. TM really but the kids out in the pressure situations tonight. Had some decent rushes with Clifford, couldn't really get too much going. Also not a great effort on the shootout.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:29 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Who did Johnson fight and what did it look like. JJ seems to not be f'ing around anymore.

Please don't start with the MF stuff until it is warranted everybody...please.
Tell that to his mom.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Did someone say post game report?

http://www.lakingsnews.com

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulate View Post
Also took a needless penalty towards the end that should of cost us the game in regulation (cross checked from Dan Hinote driving aimlessly by himself into the corner with a Kings D man on him).
I thought that penalty was poor, Hinote lost his footing way too easily on that. When I see a cross-check called I want there to be some power behind it. Just looked like a "He fell I need to call something".

BigKing, Johnson first got into it with Brad Staubitz, I don't know what started the whole thing but it pissed Johnson off to no end. Johnson slashed Staubitz and I don't know if he challenged him to a fight(This is the part above where I said the ref lost control of the game). The next thing to you know Johnson who's going after Staubitz is now tied up and ends up fighting Derek Joslin. Johnson took about 3-4 good punches to the head and only got about one in himself. Johnson gets 2 for slashing Staubitz and the 5 for fighting Joslin. Now after calling the very poor Instigating penalty on Raitis Ivanans, Joslin got away with out any extra minutes. Especially if the Referee or Linesman were able to separate the players like they should have.

Refs were Justin St. Pierre(Who I hate), Kyle Rehman(Reffed Tuesday's game and only has 17 NHL games under his belt)

Jay Sharrers was on the lines with someone else.

Old
09-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Did someone say post game report?

http://www.lakingsnews.com
Umm, the Sharks goal was scored by Benn Ferriero

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009010023

Old
09-18-2009, 01:39 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Everyone? Really?
Hey, you don't get to be the #2 star by just hooking some of them.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Umm, the Sharks goal was scored by Benn Ferriero

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009010023
Yup. Fixed that a few minutes ago.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:58 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Overall, it was a really ugly game. A lot of the penalty calls were just awful. They could have let half go and on the other hand they could have controlled the game better. The whole Johnson-Joslin fight was directly the officials losing control. The Instigator on Ivanans in my opinion was bad and so was the extra two on Johnson.

Drewiske took a puck off the face late in the game. He got up and left the ice under his own stamina and he wasn't bleeding but it couldn't have been too good for the face.

Johnson had a good game, he did have a rough patch midway through the third though.

While talking to a fellow board member he thinks Andrew Campbell sucks. Have to agree.

I thought the goal Quick allowed was weak. It wasn't a great angle and it somehow found it's way. Something that Quick needs to stop. He was solid the rest of the game and made several key saves late that kept the Sharks from winning in overtime. Besides that the rest of the game was kind of boring. Even the two two-man advantages for San Jose weren't even that strong .

Loktionov has tremendous vision and that alone will probably get him in the NHL one day. He made a couple outstanding plays. His pass led to the Brown goal. Although that was a complete mistake by San Jose's defensemen. It's not like he feathered a pass there. Brown was standing in front and absolutely no one was even remotely close except for Griess.

Clifford is going to be a player that's for sure. He's going to be a guy who we hope can be on the 2nd line with Schenn centering. This is a pick you understand after watching him play that's for sure. The hooking penalty he took in overtime was a complete ******** call.

Schenn is a smart player that's for sure and they didn't have any problem with having him play in any position. He also won a good amount of important draws at least in my mind he did. Only problem I had was there was a 2 on 1 late in the game and he stopped moving his feet and it allowed SJ to have a little bit more pressure and he sailed a pass to JJ. Of which the dumbasses behind me blamed Johnson for missing a pass 2 feet into the air.
Thanks!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:03 AM
regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign24 View Post
Just got back...

The Good
Simmonds
Loktionov
Clifford
Mullen(looked calm)
Johnson
Doughty
Quick
O'Donnell(taking in the fact that he's almost 40)
Schenn

The Bad
Frolov(didn't stand out...coasting around and hooking guys he can't keep up with)
Moller(maybe not bad...but didn't notice him either)
Segal(guy didn't do much to make himself get noticed)

Here are my takes......for what it's worth.

Simmonds did fine, but he still is not a finisher and should not be on our power play (give aways or failing to control the puck twice in the O zone right in front of me that he should of had) Some very nice outlet passes, but not great vision in the zone. Good speed, fantastic work ethic, got checked pretty hard a couple of times, and went to Johnson's defense in the fight.

Very impressed with Clifford's compete level. No wonder Dean likes this guy. Good grinder, defensive player who creates physical havoc in the offensive zone. Went toe to toe in a brawl, seemed to have been cut in the fight. He might compete for that fourth line left wing sooner than I thought. He has the size for it. Took an undisciplined penalty in OT, almost causing us to lose the game. These things cause coaches hair to turn grey.

Doughty was Doughty, played well except for that whiff with the open net.

Mullen looks okay too, and appears to have some pretty good offensive instincts. Played with poise.

Johnson looked real good movement wise, but he struggled on the point on the PP, fanning a couple times in the third period. I don't know what agitated him, but he was trying to go after a guy, elbowed another guy in the face along the way, then got beat down in a fight with a larger guy. Smooth and fast skater as always, Johnson was the defender the was on the Sharks player when he scored, but that goal was Quick's fault, he should have been hugging the post and he was not, and it deflected off his glove. A bad angle goal.

Quick played well, he was hardly tested in the first period since the Kings dominated play, but he got beat on the short side at a bad angle. Very solid after that, especially short handed. Great penalty kills.

Odie is Odie, solid in his own zone, made two bad passes that almost cost us. He tried to drive down the left side in the offensive zone, passed back towards the middle, the puck was tipped by a Sharks player over Loki's head, and the forward already had a step on Drewiske, causing Drewiske to have to take a good penalty on a breakaway.

I already posted my thoughts on Loki and Schenn in another spot in this thread.

Agree, Segal was disappointing.

Lewis somewhat disappointing too. He tried to do too much one on one, but he almost won the game in the shootout. Nice move, just couldn't lift the puck high enough.

I completely disagree about Frolov. As usual, he dominated the game down low with his control of the puck, had a few good chances, just wish like everyone else he would pull the trigger a little more. He was the second star of the game by the way.

Moller was not effective as a center, and that worries me about Stoll being ready.

Campbell was horrible in the first period, but after that he really settled down and played well. He will never likely step foot in the NHL.

Drewiske was terrific, made one bad outlet pass, but otherwise was rock solid all night, and took one off the helmet (Greene style), diving in front of the shooter during a Shark PP in OT. Was scary at first, but he got up quickly and was smiling, so it had to hit him squarely on the helmet, not the face. No reason, even if Hickey makes it that he shouldn't be one of the 7 defensemen. Clearly and NHL'r in my book. A huge improvement over Harrold on the blue line.

Purcell was very solid, and had a great first period directing the power play. Made a beautiful pass from the half boards to a streaking Doughty, who just missed a one timer. He did lose the initial battle along the boards in the Sharks zone that lead to their goal, but you have to give credit to the other team. His compete level was there for most of the game, I did notice him floating a bit one time. I wanted to yell out, "Hey knucklehead, Murray is watching". Definite NHL talent.

I am not an Ivanans fan, but I will give him credit. When Cliche got run near the benches, for once Ivanans did not hesitate, and got in fight (wrestling match really) with a Sharks player. But at least he stood up this time.

Brown took the first half of the game off, then worked harder in the third and of course got the game tying goal.

And last but not least, Cliche. Worked hard, competed well, nothing stood out to me either good or bad.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
ok, im not gonna lie, there's something about fro's game thats always bothered me. Every once in awhile he has an outstanding game that im all around happy with how he played. However, i seem to notice him coasting around quite a bit.(preseason or reg. season) And when he gets a penalty, its for hooking, because he cant keep up with certain players so he hooks them to try to make up for it. Yes, he's good along the boards and has excellent puck posession skills. I honestly think that at times he just doesn't try.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:21 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Everyone? Really?
yeah, he even hauled Nelson Emerson down over by the San Manuel Club entrance.

i was the other half of Belanger25's Campbell is teh sux... that dude is FARKLE!

Loktionov's vision is absolutely incredible... the rest of his game isn't yet... and it was that lazy ass Frolov's hit that started the play which resulted in Brown's goal... YES, i said hit.

Ted Purcell is poised to have a terrific season... and Clifford and Schenn are going to be a big reason why we'll keep buying tickets.

so far after seeing a game apiece, the score stands - Hickey 1 / Drewiske 0... and Davis was okay out there tonight.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:03 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: Sharks Squeak Past Kings In Shootout, 2-1

Wasn't much of a game for either team...boring. And with the bus waiting, the players didn't want to say much, so we didn't get much from Quick or Doughty, although Murray had a good amount to say after the game...

Frozen Royalty Audio: Sharks Squeak Past Kings In Shootout, 2-1

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote