HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Williams - where's the love?

Old
04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
gocbj

vCash: 500
Jason Williams - where's the love?

Yes, my 15 year old daughter who is in love with JW pointed out the following:

1) prorate his output with the jackets, and he is our second leading scorer with 60 points

2) He is the best PP QB we have, and a right-handed shot (not sure why, but apparently a RH shot on the PP is very good)

3) He is 28 (27 in hockey life with the lockout) and entering his prime 3 years

4) I think he is every bit of a #2 center, so certainly the #3 we need

5) He will only get about $2.5M / year, and I think he is worth at least that. I'd love to see us sign him to a 3 year 8M deal.

6) Next to Nash, I think he is the most important guy we need to lock up.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
I thought he did great. Was a great fill in when Brass went down. But I would have to see the market out there before I would drom $2.5 on him. I wouldnt pay over $1.8m personally.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:38 PM
aRussian

J Willie really impressed me with his play, I honestly wouldn't mind signing him for somewhere close to the amount he's earning now...
He's not really all that great at checking, but he knows how to work the walls and the PP and has a great pass.
Just throwing my opinion in there...

aRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:40 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I've been saying re-sign Willy for a while. He definitely is worth a look for a new deal. I like what he brings to our roster.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Now that we are a playoff nation I think it's time to take the leap and assess guys for the second season, the playoff season. Along with several other players I saw little of Jason Williams getting the job done.

I like him but is he good enough to pass up other players for the money? Just a thought.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Now that we are a playoff nation I think it's time to take the leap and assess guys for the second season, the playoff season. Along with several other players I saw little of Jason Williams getting the job done.

I like him but is he good enough to pass up other players for the money? Just a thought.
While I generally agree with your sentiments, you can't play 82 games with just R.J. Umberger.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I ask only one question - what better player will we get in FA?

The guy is shifty as hell, pretty good at shootouts, and can put up solid numbers. I like him.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Casework

I agree on the statement of "where's the love." He was a great player for us. He sucked terribly in the playoffs, but who didn't? Only a handful.

He was very solid in the regular season. He was about as clutch as RJ Umberger.

The only question for Williams in my mind is: does he want too much money? If the answer is no, he absolutely needs to be signed.

I guess the only knock against him, and I think I remembered reading this complaint from someone, maybe an Atlanta fan after we got him, is that he may not be the best player to have in your top 6 all year. Basically, you should be able to do better. The flipside is he's not physical enough to play a role on the third line.

But either way, I think Hitch used him effectively, even when he was off for a few games. Hitch wasn't afraid to move him to wing or back to center, and would put him on the 2nd line when it needed a spark. A player like that is really useful, as long as he's not a liability on the third line, and I don't think he is. (certainly not as much as Peca, Modin, or Boll were at times)

The question Williams needs to ask himself - does he want another fat paycheck from a bad team and go through the motions all season, or make a little less money and play meaningful games in April?

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:08 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
The guy is shifty as hell, pretty good at shootouts, and can put up solid numbers. I like him.
I agree with this, but I hate how he turns the puck over if someone on the other team so much as looks at him.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
While I generally agree with your sentiments, you can't play 82 games with just R.J. Umberger.
I wouldn't mind trying.

I think I saw someone post something like this a couple weeks ago:

Umberger-Brassard-Nash
Umberger-Vermette-Voracek
Umberger-Umberger-Umberger
Umberger-Malhota-Dorsett

Commodore-Hejda
Klesla-Tyutin
Umberger-Russell

Mason
Umberger

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:25 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
I wouldn't mind trying.

I think I saw someone post something like this a couple weeks ago:

Umberger-Brassard-Nash
Umberger-Vermette-Voracek
Umberger-Umberger-Umberger
Umberger-Malhota-Dorsett

Commodore-Hejda
Klesla-Tyutin
Umberger-Russell

Mason
Umberger
LMAO!!!!

Can we put Dorsett in more though?

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
From an outsider pointview I would not resign Williams if I were the Jackets. If he's signed it wont be long before he becomes a burden for this team. This kind of player is good for half a season but it is not a player who you can simply project production on prorate.

Everything went the best for him and he had a good production. Since this was his best I think its safe to assume he over achieved. The BJ's are defensive minded team, he sure doesnt fit. He's an okay scorer but will he get enough ice time with Brassard and Voracek (maybe Filatov) taking over.

Just dump him, or he will be painfull to watch. Think Chimera.

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I thought Klesla and Dorsett played a playoff level series as well.

Old
04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
From an outsider pointview I would not resign Williams if I were the Jackets. If he's signed it wont be long before he becomes a burden for this team. This kind of player is good for half a season but it is not a player who you can simply project production on prorate.

Everything went the best for him and he had a good production. Since this was his best I think its safe to assume he over achieved. The BJ's are defensive minded team, he sure doesnt fit. He's an okay scorer but will he get enough ice time with Brassard and Voracek (maybe Filatov) taking over.

Just dump him, or he will be painfull to watch. Think Chimera.
We need more "outsider" opinion...

Old
04-30-2009, 11:48 PM
union artillery

I think we should try to resign JWill and Manny. JWill is a good passer and setup man. They both could play on the 3rd line either wing or center. And if Filatov makes the team which I assume he will, that means he most likely has to play on line 3.

Where else does Filatov have a chance to start, not on either top 2.

Nash
Brassard
Huselius

Umberger
Vermette
Vorachek

Filatov
Manny/JWill
Modin/JWill

Dorsett/Boll
Chimera
Torres

union artillery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:22 AM
xJarod

Send a message via AIM to xJarod
Quote:
Originally Posted by union artillery View Post
I think we should try to resign JWill and Manny. JWill is a good passer and setup man. They both could play on the 3rd line either wing or center. And if Filatov makes the team which I assume he will, that means he most likely has to play on line 3.

Where else does Filatov have a chance to start, not on either top 2.

Nash
Brassard
Huselius

Umberger
Vermette
Vorachek

Filatov
Manny/JWill
Modin/JWill

Dorsett/Boll
Chimera
Torres
I think this looks good, except switch Manny to 4th line center and put JW at 3rd line center. Maybe Filatov/Williams/Modin for a 3rd then Chimera/Malhotra/Torres for a fourth with Dorsett and Boll rotating.

xJarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 12:41 AM
CateLeigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
DITTO DITTO DITTO!!! Hope to see him resigned

CateLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 03:11 AM
Doug19

Honestly with the points Jwill put up I can easily see him getting 3 mil + in the off-season via free-agency, and it won't be to us. Howson will try to sign him, but unless Jason wants to return to Columbus, Howson won't compete with the offers other teams are going to give him. Teams that come to mind would be the Avs, Islanders, Panthers, etc.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 03:23 AM
union artillery

I think we might be able to sign JWill. Especially if Manny wants more money than JWill. I do think that the Isles and Avs are looking at both of these guys. This UFA market is pretty thin, so most teams will have to overpay to get what they need or want.

Old
05-01-2009, 03:24 AM
Rimers stache

Was great while he was here, but I don't want him. Nash is my concern, and from there it would be nice to get a larger name guy for a year or two. i.e Havlat, Bouwmeester, Cammaleri, Gionta, Tanguay

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 03:46 AM
union artillery

Would be a feat to get Mike Cammalleri in here. He is a stud on the PP and is going to get a crazy deal this summer, being in a weak UFA market is uping his money. Besides the Sedins and JayBo he will probably get the next biggest contract this summer. Out of our price range. Of the names you listed he would be the only one I would really want.

Bouwmeester is way out of our range. We might be able to afford Havlat, injuries have drove his worth down. Tanguay is getting old fast. I don't know how much Gionta makes but if it is around what Havlat makes or less we could make a run at him.

I would like to take a shot at Dominic Moore of Buffalo. He didn't even make a mil. this year so he can't expect someone to cough up like 4-5million a year. I would really like to trade for Ehrhoff or Quincey. They are also PP studs.

Old
05-01-2009, 07:56 AM
BluejacketNut

How quickly we forget how much we have injuries, yes, resign him.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 08:04 AM
BZArcher

I'd like to keep him if the money is right.

We got him for a song and dance from Atlanta, and that was brilliant, but especially with working on re-signing Nash, cap space and salaries are going to become -very- important real soon.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 08:11 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimers stache View Post
Was great while he was here, but I don't want him. Nash is my concern, and from there it would be nice to get a larger name guy for a year or two. i.e Havlat, Bouwmeester, Cammaleri, Gionta, Tanguay
None on those names will be on Howson's radar....well, maybe when he's playing NHL09, but he wont even entertain the thought of paying for those salaries. I'd like to see us make a run at Kessler, but there's no chances of that one either

Last edited by BluejacketNut: 05-01-2009 at 08:20 AM.
BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 09:16 AM
CBJmeser61

I would much rather see Manny centering the 3rd line before J-Willy. Only because Manny plays a much better defensive and puck control game, granted $$$ plays a roll in resigning both.

CBJmeser61 is offline   Reply With Quote