HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason game #1 Avs v. Stars

Old
09-18-2009, 02:20 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 500
Salei is not a 3rd pairing defenseman

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:01 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Maybe not on this crappy team.

I don't hate Salei, but he's the epitome of why this team sucks right now - a middle of the road player paid too much money.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Your right, he should be a bench-warming defensemen.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
So am I the only one that doesn't care that Altitude chose HS Football over an Avs pre-season game. FSR shows maybe 1 or 2 Rockies Spring Training games and Altitude doesn't carry Nuggets pre-season either. The Broncos pre-season games are on because...well...they are the Broncos.

I mean sure it would be nice to see some of the young guys but much like the Broncos it doesn't count and watching prospects will only hold my interest for so long.

Plus maybe the Avs won't let them show the pre-season games to drum up ticket sales.
Lookin at the pics from last night, they need all the help they can get with attendance...

Im sorry but $25 for the cheapest PRESEASON ticket is ridiculus.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:58 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I do agree with you that Clark shouldn't be playing Foote-minutes. The minutes leader on the Avs' defense should be Scott Hannan.

-AB
Should've just stopped there...

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:41 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I didn't say "I don't care how old he is, give him top minutes." Hannan, Quincey, and Liles should get more ice time than him.
We agree there - as long as Quincey plays well. Foote should probably be a 2nd pairing guy.

Quote:
But Salei and Clark, a couple of career 3rd pairing players, should not.
Salei has not been a 3rd pairing defenseman. I don't mind if he plays that for the Avs this season, but he's historically better than that.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
Im sorry but $25 for the cheapest PRESEASON ticket is ridiculus.
No one charges less for pre-season though. At least with the Avs you get to see the starters the whole game. Imagin going to pre-season game 1 for the Broncos, paying full price and only seeing the starters for 1 series.

Colorado Sports Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:52 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Salei has not been a 3rd pairing defenseman. I don't mind if he plays that for the Avs this season, but he's historically better than that.

-AB
He's been the #2 on some horrible teams in his past, but every decent (playoff) team he's been on, he was a 3rd pairing defenseman. That's where he should be; good physicality and decent scoring upside, but average defensively. And we're paying him 3 million dollars.

Old
09-18-2009, 05:29 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
He's been the #2 on some horrible teams in his past, but every decent (playoff) team he's been on, he was a 3rd pairing defenseman.
I don't want to diverge too far from the point at hand - Foote's IT - but that last statement is simply not accurate. In the 9 seasons between 1998 and 2008, Salei was 1st/2nd/3rd on his team in IT amongst defensemen - each and every season. One does not do that playing on the 3rd pairing. That includes two seasons with the Ducks when they lost in the Finals and in the WCFs, and Salei was a 2nd pairing defenseman on both of those teams (3rd in IT amongst defensemen). The other year the Ducks made the playoffs, Salei was 1st amongst dmen in IT.

But, the more telling stat is this: In those 9 years, Salei has never once averaged under 20 minutes per game, which 3rd pairing defensemen do. Simple math tells us this. In the 5 seasons before joining Colorado, he never once averaged under 22 minutes per game. Those are not 3rd pairing numbers.

Quote:
That's where he should be; good physicality and decent scoring upside, but average defensively. And we're paying him 3 million dollars.
I think he's decent defensively and average offensively.

Still, given he's in the last year of his contract, and the Avs need to see what Quincey can do, I'm OK with him on the 3rd pairing at ES, and put him out there on the regular PK units.

-AB

Last edited by ABasin: 09-18-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old
09-18-2009, 06:47 PM
jfc64

It Is Not Our Money. The Money Belong To A Guy With A Pool!

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:05 PM
shadow1

Salei has been in the NHL 13 seasons. In those 13 seasons, he's been on 4 playoff teams (including Colorado, where he didn't even start the season).

Giving Salei top ice time obviously hasn't fared too well over the course of his career.

Old
09-20-2009, 11:10 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Salei has been in the NHL 13 seasons. In those 13 seasons, he's been on 4 playoff teams (including Colorado, where he didn't even start the season).
That's entirely true. He's been one of those players whose been unfortunate enough to play the majority of his seasons on crappy teams. That sort of thing happens sometimes. In the 8 seasons prior to joining the Avalanche, Rob Blake was on 6 non-playoff teams, too. Didn't mean he wasn't a 1st pairing defenseman.

Nor that does mean Salei has been a 3rd pairing defenseman in years past. He hasn't.

-AB

Last edited by ABasin: 09-20-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old
09-20-2009, 02:31 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

Giving Salei top ice time obviously hasn't fared too well over the course of his career.
Right, because it's obviously his fault the Ducks and Panthers were/are horrible. When he was given the minutes, especially in 03 and 05, he did very well with them. He's still a top 4 defender on nearly every team in the league. Salei's biggest problem last year was Cloutier's passive system; he was taken out of his element and asked to play a style that doesn't suit him. It really amazes me that one season on a terrible team makes him an overpaid third pair defender who doesn't deserve to be here.

detrude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 141
Yeah, I gotta say the Salei hate bothers me. Remember when he first came over to the Avs? That's the guy he is. Get him out of the retarded system the Avs have been using to kill every defender that's come to the club and chances are we might see the guy who used to be known for being one of the harder hitters in the league.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Yeah, I gotta say the Salei hate bothers me. Remember when he first came over to the Avs? That's the guy he is. Get him out of the retarded system the Avs have been using to kill every defender that's come to the club and chances are we might see the guy who used to be known for being one of the harder hitters in the league.
I've always liked Salei's game. I'm hoping we see more of it this year, especially so we can get a decent draft pick for him at the deadline.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:37 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
I've always liked Salei's game. I'm hoping we see more of it this year, especially so we can get a decent draft pick for him at the deadline.
It'll be interesting to watch how this season unfolds for our d-men. I am probably in the minority that wouldn't mind seeing Salei resigned at a discount (from what he's currently making.) I'd like to keep three physical dmen on the team for next season. To be brutally honest, Salei can play PK and in fact looked better than Liles at times last season on the PP as he could move the puck without having to think about it for a month of Sunday's. He also has a heavier albeit less accurate shot, but since Liles wasn't shooting much it's a wash.

I'm optimistic that our D will be much improved because our old D coach is gone....but as was said before by others, I could be just setting myself up for disappointment if there isn't a completely new system implemented.

Speaking of a new system...is there a snowballs chance in hell we might actually have two d-men on the PP at the same time this season?

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
in fact looked better than Liles at times last season on the PP as he could move the puck without having to think about it for a month of Sunday's.

Speaking of a new system...is there a snowballs chance in hell we might actually have two d-men on the PP at the same time this season?
That, IMO is Liles biggest downfall right now. He has a pretty decent shot, and it's accurate enough, but he takes WAY too long to decide to shoot it. If I see him do that stupid fake shot pass to the side boards every time this season again, Im not going to be happy.

Dater even made note of how Quincey makes quick decisions with the puck at the blueline and how Liles could learn a thing or 2 from that.

And yes, we'll most likely see 2 dmen on the point, at the very least on 1 unit, as I reckon that Quincey and Liles will make up the first unit. Salei and Preissing/Clark will probably the second unit.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
El_Loco_Avs

I hope Salei will get enough minutes this year. Although showcasing Hannan as tradebait might be more sensible.

Man we've got too many options on D.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote