big big hit, anyone know if he's ok? but fighting with his gloves on after

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:57 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
I don't have an issue with the hit. It was clean. Devastating, but clean. That's hockey, and pre-season or not, you need to keep your head up. Okposo has no one to blame but himself; he's smarter than that.

The "but it's the pre-season" arguments need to stop. This isn't the All-Star game or something, it's getting players ready for the regular season. Thus they need to be played at regular season intensity. And while Phaneuf may not be fighting for a job, plenty of the guys out there are, so it's both unfair and dangerous for half the players to be trying and the other half not.

I do of course have a problem with the *****ing out that Phaneuf did there. That's always going to be my biggest issue with him. I know how many hockey minds say that you shouldn't have to defend yourself after a clean hit, but that's not the way it works. If you're going to try and crush the opposing players, you need to be ready for the opposing team to make it clear that they don't want that to happen.

I never understood why so many people have a problem with guys getting challenged after clean hits. Just because it's within the rules doesn't mean you want it happening to you or your teammates. You want to send the message that hitting us may result in you getting beaten up, thus causing second thoughts. Seems simple to me, but maybe I'm just a simple guy.

Dion needs to learn to sack up if he's going to keep playing like that. If he does he'll be less of a target for criticism, save for the lacking defensive play. If not he'll just be another Komisarek-level *****.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Frankie Spankie

Damn, keep your head up Kyle.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Concessionaire
Dang.

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
I don't have an issue with the hit. It was clean. Devastating, but clean. That's hockey, and pre-season or not, you need to keep your head up. Okposo has no one to blame but himself; he's smarter than that.
I dunno, man. From the video that looked like a "set and spike." It seemed to me the shove from behind is what made Okposo vulnerable more than anything.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:23 AM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
I dunno, man. From the video that looked like a "set and spike." It seemed to me the shove from behind is what made Okposo vulnerable more than anything.
The shove and the hit weren't coordinated or anything. That'd be impossible to pull off IMO. Besides, Phaneuf had that lined up way before Okposo was shoved.

I agree that it certainly didn't help, but Okoposo wasn't looking and was going down hard either way.

Old
09-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Finney

Clean.

I probably wouldn't throw a hit like that in the preseason, but it was still legal.

I hope Okposo's alright, he's a fine young player.

Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Concessionaire
Dang.

Quote:
The shove and the hit weren't coordinated or anything. That'd be impossible to pull off IMO. Besides, Phaneuf had that lined up way before Okposo was shoved.
I'm not saying it was coordinated necessarily, just that Okposo was really vertical and back on his heels after the shove. It could be that the hit would have happened regardless, but from my point of view Okposo had no chance to get himself braced for it.

Old
09-18-2009, 12:34 AM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Quote:
I'm not saying it was coordinated necessarily, just that Okposo was really vertical and back on his heels after the shove. It could be that the hit would have happened regardless, but from my point of view Okposo had no chance to get himself braced for it.
He wouldn't have been braced regardless. Even if he wasn't shoved, his head was down the entire time.

Watch it from the time he picks the puck up. His head never moves up. It only starts to when he gets that shove but by then it was far too late.

Old
09-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Concessionaire
Dang.

Quote:
He wouldn't have been braced regardless. Even if he wasn't shoved, his head was down the entire time.

Watch it from the time he picks the puck up. His head never moves up. It only starts to when he gets that shove but by then it was far too late.
Either way, it's a clean hit.

Too bad Dion's gloves are glued to his hands.

Old
09-18-2009, 12:48 AM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Quote:
Either way, it's a clean hit.

Too bad Dion's gloves are glued to his hands.
Precisely

Old
09-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Neely08

Clean hit.

Not all that much different than a hit Wideman put on a Leaf last year. But, Dion hits twice as hard.

Ouch.

Can't tell if he got it in the head from the hit (Scott Stevensesque), or hit his head on the ice.

Brutal hit. Hope the kid is ok.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:59 AM
SPB2776

Quote:
I do of course have a problem with the *****ing out that Phaneuf did there. That's always going to be my biggest issue with him. I know how many hockey minds say that you shouldn't have to defend yourself after a clean hit, but that's not the way it works. If you're going to try and crush the opposing players, you need to be ready for the opposing team to make it clear that they don't want that to happen.

I never understood why so many people have a problem with guys getting challenged after clean hits. Just because it's within the rules doesn't mean you want it happening to you or your teammates. You want to send the message that hitting us may result in you getting beaten up, thus causing second thoughts. Seems simple to me, but maybe I'm just a simple guy.

Dion needs to learn to sack up if he's going to keep playing like that. If he does he'll be less of a target for criticism, save for the lacking defensive play. If not he'll just be another Komisarek-level *****.
Hits are part of the game. Fights are part of the game. If Okposo gets up and wants to go, that's one thing, but the guy came off the bench and went after Phaneuf. I'm by no means a pacifist, far from it, but fighting after a big, legal hit is just stupid. You want to make Phaneuf pay? Hit him. Fighting after a legal hit just makes hockey look like a circus act. Did anyone on the Bruins go after Seidenberg after the Bergeron collision? No. It was nothing illegal. If Phaneuf gives Okposo the old flying elbow or something, then, yeah, he has to fight. There is a difference. If I'm Phaneuf, I keep my gloves on in that situation too. He did nothing wrong there

SPB2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:03 AM
HariKari

boom headshot

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:16 AM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB2776 View Post
Hits are part of the game. Fights are part of the game. If Okposo gets up and wants to go, that's one thing, but the guy came off the bench and went after Phaneuf. I'm by no means a pacifist, far from it, but fighting after a big, legal hit is just stupid. You want to make Phaneuf pay? Hit him. Fighting after a legal hit just makes hockey look like a circus act. Did anyone on the Bruins go after Seidenberg after the Bergeron collision? No. It was nothing illegal. If Phaneuf gives Okposo the old flying elbow or something, then, yeah, he has to fight. There is a difference. If I'm Phaneuf, I keep my gloves on in that situation too. He did nothing wrong there
Don't see it that way. I see it as protecting my teammates. You crush a young star on the other team you need to be prepared for the consequences. You're telling me that if that had happened to Krejci or Bergeron you don't want something done about it? I'm not buying it.

Comparing this and Bergy/Seidenberg is apples and bowling balls. Not in the same universe. Bergeron initiated that contact, and it wasn't nearly as violent as this.

I agree that that guy should not have come of the bench, but I think he'll escape suspension under the "I was just making a line change" defense, since a guy was going off right then too.

Fighting after legal hits doesn't make hockey look like anything but a hard-nosed sport. The logic is that I don't want anyone lining up my teammates, so if it should happen, legal or no, I'm going to do something about it. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but my opinion isn't changing.

Old
09-18-2009, 02:19 AM
almostawake

Big hit, clean hit. Unfortunate that Okposo ended up in the shape he was in. Hope it is not as bad as it looked.

I have a bit of a problem with Phaneuf not dropping them. Big hits are about intimidation. It's only natural for a team to want to show that they won't be intimidated. Thus I see the point of initiating a fight, even after a clean hit, and think that it's a fair enough response.

Having said that, I have a huge problem with Morency coming off the bench. I give him credit for not jumping Phaneuf from behind like he could have, but still, you never leave the bench. If your team doesn't have the people on the ice to respond to the hit then that it's your team's problem. Deal with it later if you really feel the need, but never, ever, leave the bench in this situation. I would expect a fine for the Islanders because of this incident.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:36 AM
almostawake

Quote:

I agree that that guy should not have come of the bench, but I think he'll escape suspension under the "I was just making a line change" defense, since a guy was going off right then too.
He may or may not be suspended but if he's not it's not because the NHL bought some 'line change' excuse. There are too many things counting against him:

-He was sitting down when the hit was made.

-He didn't make any move to get onto the ice until well after the whistle was blown, and he made a B-line for Phaneuf.

-He he played less than 3 minutes in the game to that point.

Other than that, this is a guy who once put up almost 600 pims in one season in the Q. In fact I think he might own the CHL record for pim in one season. Anyways, the guy really does not have anything going for him in hopes of avoiding a suspension. Well, except for the fact that he really didn't do any damage to anyone.

If he's not suspended I would guess that it's because the NHL decides it's not worth their while. In reality, this is a guy that struggles to crack an AHL lineup for more than 30 games a year.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:39 AM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDagoBU View Post
Throw a hit like that in a preseason game and you better be ready to answer it.

He left his gloves on like he's Marc Savard or something. Not exactly a brave display.
Agreed.. Do the Isles play the Nucks this season? I'm sure they do, and hopefully its back here in L.I. I'm sure they will be reminded of this hit that took a stretcher to remove him from the ice.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:56 AM
bb74

Borderline hit for an exhibition game. What I hope other coaches are looking at is the fact that 90% of the neutral zone was wide open so all Okposo needed was guy on the wing for a short chip pass and you have a 1 on 0 breakaway on the Flames. If Phaneuf continues to play like a dope and not cover his side he will be competing for a roster spot.

If Okposo didn't get that shove, fine, but not letting up in the least when a guy effectively gets pushed down and towards the oncoming check is cheap. As for the guy off the bench, that was a line change and I would have done the same thing.

Phaneuf is a punk. I hope Okposo is ok.

bb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 05:34 AM
SPB2776

Quote:
Don't see it that way. I see it as protecting my teammates. You crush a young star on the other team you need to be prepared for the consequences. You're telling me that if that had happened to Krejci or Bergeron you don't want something done about it? I'm not buying it.

Comparing this and Bergy/Seidenberg is apples and bowling balls. Not in the same universe. Bergeron initiated that contact, and it wasn't nearly as violent as this.

Fighting after legal hits doesn't make hockey look like anything but a hard-nosed sport. The logic is that I don't want anyone lining up my teammates, so if it should happen, legal or no, I'm going to do something about it. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but my opinion isn't changing.
I'm all for standing up for teammates -- if the guy is fouled. The comparison I made was just about legal contact that resulted in a guy going down. Fighting after a clean hit is a slippery slope. Does Phaneuf have to fight every time he levels a guy with a clean hit? That's what the NHL is becoming. Everytime there's a clean hit that would make "Rock 'em Sock 'em" somebody wants to fight. More fights leads to the idiots that run the league tightening the screws on it and putting rules in place to limit it, which isn't good at all. If that happens to Krejci or Bergeron, I'm ticked, yes, but heavy hits are a part of the game. I'd be more annoyed that they had their head down through center ice. Okposo has to know who's around him too.
As for the guy coming off the bench, I don't think it will matter that he was making a change. The league frowns on guys hopping on to drop the gloves, so suspension or not, he'll be hearing from the brass, I'm sure.

Old
09-18-2009, 05:40 AM
BlueAndGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB2776 View Post
I disagree here. I'm somewhat of a pacifist too, but this is where I think the instigator rule is a bad idea. Hockey is violent sport where the rules can't really protect players' safety in a comprehensive way. To witness, the league was considering rules against hits to the head, but they couldn't really devise a way to do this without wimping down the game or having too many questionable calls since there is such a big gray area between a legal hit and an illegal one. In my opinion, if you make a check that clearly goes well beyond separating the man from the puck, your intent is to inflict pain or "send a message" to the opponent. As such, the opposing team should be able to respond as a way to provide a deterrence since the rules aren't going to do it. I came to this conclusion years ago when Scott Stevens checked Paul Kayira with an open ice hit and Kariya was laid out. Nobody did a damn thing. It was a legal hit but nonetheless Kayira could have been seriously hurt. (Or no one had the stones to go after Stevens.)

As Derek Sanderson once said, hockey is a violent sport played by violent men, and if you don't like it, watch tennis. A little more fighting would make hockey safer instead of more rules. Of course that stand is very arguable.

BlueAndGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
Agreed.. Do the Isles play the Nucks this season? I'm sure they do, and hopefully its back here in L.I. I'm sure they will be reminded of this hit that took a stretcher to remove him from the ice.
It would be odd for the Isles to take their vengence out on the Canucks though...wouldnt it?

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 05:48 AM
SPB2776

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndGold View Post
I disagree here. I'm somewhat of a pacifist too, but this is where I think the instigator rule is a bad idea. Hockey is violent sport where the rules can't really protect players' safety in a comprehensive way. To witness, the league was considering rules against hits to the head, but they couldn't really devise a way to do this without wimping down the game or having too many questionable calls since there is such a big gray area between a legal hit and an illegal one. In my opinion, if you make a check that clearly goes well beyond separating the man from the puck, your intent is to inflict pain or "send a message" to the opponent. As such, the opposing team should be able to respond as a way to provide a deterrence since the rules aren't going to do it. I came to this conclusion years ago when Scott Stevens checked Paul Kayira with an open ice hit and Kariya was laid out. Nobody did a damn thing. It was a legal hit but nonetheless Kayira could have been seriously hurt. (Or no one had the stones to go after Stevens.)

As Derek Sanderson once said, hockey is a violent sport played by violent men, and if you don't like it, watch tennis. A little more fighting would make hockey safer instead of more rules. Of course that stand is very arguable.
Looking at it that way, I can see your point. I'm all for fighting, and there are times when the players need to police themselves. That's something that sets hockey apart from every other sport. I just don't want it to get to the point where there's a fight after every big, clean hit, and that's something that is creeping into the game more and more.
As for Stevens, his middle name should have been "gray area." He laid out more guys with borderline/questionable hits than anyone. Though I did like it when he laid out Lindros ...

Old
09-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Like I said in the NHL satndard, it's a clean hit.

But when you hit some one after 6 or 7 stride and target him 20 feet before the impact isn't it a charging call ? why it's not charging when do at center ice.

Bruinster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 06:34 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

CLean hit. Keep yoru head up.

But it it were a Bruin that took that hit, I would hope someone would exact a pound of flesh out of Dion. Gloves off or no, he needed a beatdown.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote