Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf destroy Okposo

Old
09-18-2009, 06:51 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

vCash: 500
There goes one of my right wings. **** you Dion.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 06:52 AM
ap3lovr

What a reception Fluery got, that'd be like Neely coming back and scoring the game winner in Boston.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Waltah*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
boom headshot
lol, havent heard that in a while

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:41 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I hate those hits where the guy is sort of engaged with another and then a defenseman comes out of nowhere to lay him out. Clean hit, like the passion, but not a big fan of those types of plays...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:43 AM
BlueAndGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB2776 View Post
Looking at it that way, I can see your point. I'm all for fighting, and there are times when the players need to police themselves. That's something that sets hockey apart from every other sport. I just don't want it to get to the point where there's a fight after every big, clean hit, and that's something that is creeping into the game more and more.
As for Stevens, his middle name should have been "gray area." He laid out more guys with borderline/questionable hits than anyone. Though I did like it when he laid out Lindros ...
Fully agree here. I don't like the goon vs. goon showdowns that seem to be staged or are done to fire up their teams. To me, that's a circus. But when an enforcer goes after the perpetrator of a cheap hit, especially when the recipient is a smaller, skilled guy, we'll I'm all for it. To your point, I also don't want fighting after each brutal, but legal hit either. But if there were a price to pay for those, unlike now, maybe those types of hits would be less frequent.

BlueAndGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:24 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
I don't have an issue with the hit. It was clean. Devastating, but clean. That's hockey, and pre-season or not, you need to keep your head up. Okposo has no one to blame but himself; he's smarter than that.

The "but it's the pre-season" arguments need to stop. This isn't the All-Star game or something, it's getting players ready for the regular season. Thus they need to be played at regular season intensity. And while Phaneuf may not be fighting for a job, plenty of the guys out there are, so it's both unfair and dangerous for half the players to be trying and the other half not.

I do of course have a problem with the *****ing out that Phaneuf did there. That's always going to be my biggest issue with him. I know how many hockey minds say that you shouldn't have to defend yourself after a clean hit, but that's not the way it works. If you're going to try and crush the opposing players, you need to be ready for the opposing team to make it clear that they don't want that to happen.

I never understood why so many people have a problem with guys getting challenged after clean hits. Just because it's within the rules doesn't mean you want it happening to you or your teammates. You want to send the message that hitting us may result in you getting beaten up, thus causing second thoughts. Seems simple to me, but maybe I'm just a simple guy.

Dion needs to learn to sack up if he's going to keep playing like that. If he does he'll be less of a target for criticism, save for the lacking defensive play. If not he'll just be another Komisarek-level *****.
I agree on retaliation when one of your young stars is lying on the ice injured, so I agree there. Phaneuf should answer that.

I guess what I don't agree with is when I see so many hard but harmless hits being retaliated. Whatever happened to just getting up and sucking it up? I remember when Nokelainen laid out the much bigger Malik, Malik was fine and Chris Drury came to start a fight with Nokie. It seemed so ridiculous. I know Drury's a captain and all, but I guess that's the only situation where I don't mind an instigator penalty.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:31 AM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
I agree on retaliation when one of your young stars is lying on the ice injured, so I agree there. Phaneuf should answer that.

I guess what I don't agree with is when I see so many hard but harmless hits being retaliated. Whatever happened to just getting up and sucking it up? I remember when Nokelainen laid out the much bigger Malik, Malik was fine and Chris Drury came to start a fight with Nokie. It seemed so ridiculous. I know Drury's a captain and all, but I guess that's the only situation where I don't mind an instigator penalty.
I can see a point if the player that was hit is fine, picks himself up and all. I mean I wouldn't mind a message sent there, but I get why people might think it's excessive.

But when a clean hit hurts someone, like you and I said, that's when Dion (or anyone) needs to sack up. I mean you just hurt these guys' teammate and friend; do you really think you're getting away with that scot-free?

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:35 AM
doc5hole

Phaneuf would be better served by some player on some divisional rival applying the Bucyk method. He likes to jump into the attack, he's available to be hit when he least suspects it.

On the Okposo side:
1. a forward carrying the puck through the middle of the rink, especially under harrassment, has to be aware of a predatory defenseman like a Scott Stevens/Rob Blake on the opposite side. Not too many left in the NHL who go for this hit and fewer who execute it at an elite level.
2. The hit, not the ice, knocked the helmet off his head, leaving his head unprotected as he slammed to the ice. I hope this wasn't the result of a loose chin strap. When are players going to get together with the equipment companies and come up with reliability minus discomfort? There have been way too many of these lost-helmet scenarios.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:37 AM
blackmesa

Glad to see that Bruins are sensible, rational, and like-minded to myself when it comes to stuff like this. I knew there was a reason they were my "home away from home" team.

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:43 AM
sarge88

The hit was clean enough I guess.

Just watching it reminds me of just how much I can't stand Phaneuf, though.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:45 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Why is this a clean hit, yet when Tubert did basically the same thing in a hit on Jordan Caron during Team Canada's camp, it was dirty?

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:49 AM
FutureConsiderations

For someone who throws the body around so much, Phaneuf is a terrible fighter.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Mazzie

After watching it a few times I think that there was no real intent to injure and it was a bad luck situation for Okposo. At the last second Okposo got bumped and thrown off balance which put his head in a vulnerable position, and not sure if Dion could have pulled up at that point. I almost want to say he did try to pull up because of the way he sort of rolled over top of Okposo after the hit. If Dion had really laid into him, I think Okposo's head would have gone flying into the stands.

All that being said, Phaneuf is still a chicken ****. If you are going to be the kind of player that lines guys up from 30 feet, you need to answer the bell when you take someone out like that. I don't care if its a legal hit or not. If you can't handle taking a pop in the mouth to back up your style of play, then I just can't respect you.

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
C77

Any updates on Okposo's health?

I haven't found any yet...

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:15 AM
PJStock42*

Phaneuf is an absolute joke.

Where's Todd Bertuzzi when you need him...

PJStock42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:20 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Any updates on Okposo's health?

I haven't found any yet...
He's on my fantasy hockey team and this was the little news update next to his name.

Okposo, the seventh pick in the 2006 draft, remained motionless on the ice for more than six minutes as he was attended to by trainers from both teams and other medical personnel. A CT scan showed Okposo had a mild concussion, Islanders spokesman Seth Sylvan said in a text message to The Associated Press. Sylvan said Okposo accompanied the team on the flight to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, where the Islanders are conducting training camp.

If its just a mild concussion, thats very good.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Concessionaire
Dang.

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Why is this a clean hit, yet when Tubert did basically the same thing in a hit on Jordan Caron during Team Canada's camp, it was dirty?
I didn't like the Teubert hit because

a) he and Caron were teammates.

b) it was a scrimmage.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:28 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
I didn't like the Teubert hit because

a) he and Caron were teammates.

b) it was a scrimmage.
It was a scrimmage for the national team that was being played under game conditions, where as this was just an exhibition game, which is entirely pointless as well. Either way, it's hypocritical (which I am not directing at you) to be okay with one and not the other, IMO, since they were both clean...

Old
09-18-2009, 09:38 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
It was a scrimmage for the national team that was being played under game conditions, where as this was just an exhibition game, which is entirely pointless as well. Either way, it's hypocritical (which I am not directing at you) to be okay with one and not the other, IMO, since they were both clean...
If anything, some people here have been "reverse" hypocrites. There was plenty of talk on this board of how Caron shouldn't have had his head down and that they were fighting for spots on the national team. Yet there are plenty who say Phaneuf should have let up in an exhibition game.

I think you are looking for things that aren't really there. Both hits were clean. Arguments can be made that both were unnecessary, but I don't feel that way.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:56 AM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
It would be odd for the Isles to take their vengence out on the Canucks though...wouldnt it?
How about win the game? I never said anything about hurting anyone.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF View Post

Is that really necessary in a Pre-Season game?
Especially from a player that has already made the team.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
If anything, some people here have been "reverse" hypocrites. There was plenty of talk on this board of how Caron shouldn't have had his head down and that they were fighting for spots on the national team. Yet there are plenty who say Phaneuf should have let up in an exhibition game.

I think you are looking for things that aren't really there. Both hits were clean. Arguments can be made that both were unnecessary, but I don't feel that way.

Interesting take, and it's always a possibility I may be hearing what I want!

I agree about the unecessary part too. I personally had no issue with either hit, but the lack of judgement by Teubert and Phaneuf is what I'd really call into question.

Last edited by LSCII: 09-18-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old
09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
FutureConsiderations

I haven't seen the video in a long time but didn't Teubert leave his feet?

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:25 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I haven't seen the video in a long time but didn't Teubert leave his feet?
On the follow through he does leave his feet, much like Phaneuf did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t_pzYtFwyE

Old
09-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Boston Bruno

if a bruin laid a guy out like that, I am pretty sure rose petals would be thrown at his feet by most (not all)

I have no qualms..preseason or not - Peter Puck always says - Keep your head up.

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote