HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Robin Williams confronts deep-rooted secret in drama 'Boulevard'

Old
04-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Hawkman
Deacon Blues

vCash: 500
Robin Williams confronts deep-rooted secret in drama 'Boulevard'

Quote:
A random drive down an unfamiliar road and a chance encounter with a stranger force a soft-spoken bank employee to reassess his life and acknowledge his true self in the new indie drama "Boulevard," starring Oscar winner Robin Williams. Williams, 62, most familiar to audiences as a sharp-witted, fast-talking comedian, shows his darker, more intense side in "Boulevard," which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival that runs through April 27. The four-time Academy Award nominee, who took home the best supporting actor prize in 1998 for "Good Will Hunting," plays a 60-year-old, meek loan officer comfortably attuned to his life and marriage until he meets a young man who reawakens his inner conflict. "He is an older man, long married, who essentially comes out of the closet at an age when most couples have settled into the tedium of a kind of combative relationship," said Geoffrey Gilmore, Tribeca Film Festival's chief creative officer. Williams' character, Nolan Mack, must choose between hiding the secret he has suppressed for decades and continuing his life with a woman he loves and respects, or dealing with it and upending the only life he has ever known.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...ertainmentNews

waiting for true detective in my netflix que
Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
And...?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:33 PM
aleshemsky83

So it's a serious role, I assume he's grown his beard out?

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
So it's a serious role, I assume he's grown his beard out?

Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Spawn

Anyone else stunned Robin Williams has been nominated for 4 Acadamy Awards?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:45 AM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Nope. He's a great actor.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:59 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
No. He's a fantastic actor. He's also a fantastic comedian. One of the true greats.

04-23-2014, 01:41 AM
Shareefruck

He's a better actor than comedian, IMO, and that's both a compliment and a criticism.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 02:23 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
No. He's a fantastic actor. He's also a fantastic comedian. One of the true greats.
Maybe I'm just jaded by not having seen him make anything good in 10+ years. I've seen everything he's been nominated for too lmao.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 07:18 AM
aleshemsky83

He's a terrible comedian, though he does have that one good show

And good morning, Vietnam was awful

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 07:21 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Yes.

Much of his comedy is the annoying over the top kind that he won't quit, like your embarrassing uncle who think he has to turn every situation in life into an over acted joke.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:34 AM
kihei

vCash: 4575
Quote:
Whoa. I definitely am.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:50 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
Nope. He's a great actor.
Great? I would strongly disagree. He can be a good actor, sure, but he has a very limited range and a very constricted emotional palette to work with. He's got his "extrovert" move and his "serious" move, both of which have, like, two gears. Even on a good day, he is not exactly subtle. Worse, he sometimes even looks like he is trying too hard. I know this is an unfair comparison, as no one expects him to be a Shakespeare actor, but Kenneth Branagh, a certifiably great actor though not always a good one, as Hamlet toys with Williams as Osric in Hamlet. It's almost painful to watch as it doesn't seem so much character to character as an actor to actor put down. For his career, I would give Williams no higher than a "C" at best.

Old
04-23-2014, 11:10 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Great? I would strongly disagree. He can be a good actor, sure, but he has a very limited range and a very constricted emotional palette to work with. He's got his "extrovert" move and his "serious" move, both of which have, like, two gears. Even on a good day, he is not exactly subtle. Worse, he sometimes even looks like he is trying too hard. I know this is an unfair comparison, as no one expects him to be a Shakespeare actor, but Kenneth Branagh, a certifiably great actor though not always a good one, as Hamlet toys with Williams as Osric in Hamlet. It's almost painful to watch as it doesn't seem so much character to character as an actor to actor put down. For his career, I would give Williams no higher than a "C" at best.
Dead Poet's Society, Good Will Hunting, Patch Adams, What Dreams May Come etc say otherwise. A C? I mean come on, a C is saying that he has only enjoyed a moderate success, while we all know different. He has had both commercial and critical success. Even in **** movies like Insomnia, it was said that Williams was the one bright spot in the film.

The only question here is, if you knew it was an unfair comparison(comparing the dude to Branagh, I mean, seriously? that guy and Patrick Stewart were made to do Shakespeare), why did you make it? If no one ever expects him to be a Shakespeare actor.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:14 AM
dogbazinho

He's a great actor. He plays psychos well. The movie where he works in a photo mat? Great stuff.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:23 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbazinho View Post
He's a great actor. He plays psychos well. The movie where he works in a photo mat? Great stuff.
funny actors normally do. I really don't know why.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

i'd give him more than a C, maybe a B. i agree with kihei in that I don't find him to be the most versatile guy out there but within his "specialties" i think he does an excellent job

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:57 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Dead Poet's Society, Good Will Hunting, Patch Adams, What Dreams May Come etc say otherwise. A C? I mean come on, a C is saying that he has only enjoyed a moderate success, while we all know different. He has had both commercial and critical success. Even in **** movies like Insomnia, it was said that Williams was the one bright spot in the film.

The only question here is, if you knew it was an unfair comparison(comparing the dude to Branagh, I mean, seriously? that guy and Patrick Stewart were made to do Shakespeare), why did you make it? If no one ever expects him to be a Shakespeare actor.
Never saw Dead Poet's Society, which just looked maudlin as hell to me, so I skipped it. Williams is very good in Good Will Hunting, and both Awakenings and Good Morning, Vietnam, which you didn't mention. He is nothing special whatsoever in What Dreams May Come nor is he anything more than pleasantly competent in Insomnia (quick plug for the original with Skellen Skarsgard in the Al Pacino role). He is has been in 70 movies, the overwhelming majority of which are completely forgettable as are his performances in them, at least in all of the ones that I have seen which are quite a few. He has given some of the worst performances that I have ever seen by a major actor: The World According to Garp; Jakob the Liar; and Man of the Year being among the titles that rapidly leap to mind. If you think I'm being harsh, look up his filmography and see what you think one by one of those 70 films. He either overplays pathos in dramas terribly, usually taking the most obvious approach possible, or he way too often resorts to self-consciously cutesy acting-out bits in comedies that end up like woeful attempts to be ingratiating. To me, a "C" is a fair grade and if anything a generous grade when looking at his work as a whole.

My point about the Branagh reference could be construed as a low blow, I suppose, but I was trying to indicate just how far out of his league Williams can get in some of his performances.

Last edited by kihei: 04-26-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old
04-26-2014, 02:06 AM
Honour Over Glory

Robin Williams has been awesome on The Crazy Ones, he's shown before that he can do the serious roles very well too.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 07:59 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbazinho View Post
The Final Cut. Freaking LOVED that movie. Watched it several times.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 10:44 AM
TheThrill81
So Hot

Quote:
Never saw Dead Poet's Society, which just looked maudlin as hell to me, so I skipped it.
I didn't know we could pass judgment on films we've never seen.

TheThrill81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 10:51 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrill81 View Post
I didn't know we could pass judgment on films we've never seen.
Gimme a bloody break. How else do you determine what movies not to go to? With a ouija board?

Old
04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
TheThrill81
So Hot

Quote:
Gimme a bloody break. How else do you determine what movies not to go to? With a ouija board?
Well I'm guessing you made the decision based on the fact that you simply don't like Robin Williams. But I still don't see how you judge a film you've never seen, which is much different than actually deciding to see it or not.

Last edited by TheThrill81: 04-26-2014 at 11:04 AM.
TheThrill81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
The Final Cut. Freaking LOVED that movie. Watched it several times.
I think he means "One Hour Photo"

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:44 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrill81 View Post
Well I'm guessing you made the decision based on the fact that you simply don't like Robin Williams. But I still don't see how you judge a film you've never seen, which is much different than actually deciding to see it or not.
Oh, really. Explain, please, that difference.