HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

What does everyone think of the Netflix knockoffs?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2014, 06:37 AM
  #1
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player
 
Eagle Eye Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,358
vCash: 500
What does everyone think of the Netflix knockoffs?

Knockoffs like CraveTV and Showmi?

Apparently CraveTV has almost every HBO show excluding Game of Thrones.

I'm not sure about Showmi



Well, what does everyone think?

Eagle Eye Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 06:55 AM
  #2
G F O P
Registered Baller
 
G F O P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 259,661
vCash: 500
what CRAVETV

Hmm

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 07:10 AM
  #3
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
What do you want people to think? Those are Canadian only products but the big telecoms that want some market back that they are losing to Netflix. I have not tried any of the them and likely will not.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 07:30 AM
  #4
Dr Pepper
Registered User
 
Dr Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,462
vCash: 50
They're marketing the crap out of both, and it's pretty annoying.

__________________
RIP octopi and parabola.
Dr Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 08:00 AM
  #5
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,063
vCash: 500
We discussed Crave a few weeks ago in this thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1794091

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 05:06 PM
  #6
Virtanen18
SAMCRO
 
Virtanen18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,276
vCash: 100
Shomi is ok, nothing special. I'm fine with the free trial, but I won't be ordering it once it's done.

Will be getting CraveTV soon if only for the HBO portion.

Virtanen18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 05:12 PM
  #7
Dave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 500
I'd honestly be willing to give a netflix competitor a chance. I think netflix is massively overrated and needs a huge overhaul, their interface is horrible and is one of the main reasons I didn't continue my sub after the first free month. Also their library isn't that impressive imo, too heavily weighted towards tv shows and not enough current movies.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 07:12 PM
  #8
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'd honestly be willing to give a netflix competitor a chance. I think netflix is massively overrated and needs a huge overhaul, their interface is horrible and is one of the main reasons I didn't continue my sub after the first free month. Also their library isn't that impressive imo, too heavily weighted towards tv shows and not enough current movies.
I have no issue with the interface but it is different depending on what you are using to view it. As for the TV shows vs Movies, watch both the Canadian and the US versions and you get a good mix of both.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2014, 03:03 PM
  #9
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,644
vCash: 500
I'm using Netflix Canada and the selection kind of sucks

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2014, 05:49 PM
  #10
Dave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I have no issue with the interface but it is different depending on what you are using to view it. As for the TV shows vs Movies, watch both the Canadian and the US versions and you get a good mix of both.
Yeah I had it set up so I could view any region, still wasn't worth it to me. I'm more of a person who knows what they want to watch before I watch it. I'll go on wikipedia/IMDB/RottenTomatoes and find new movies, or highly rated movies. It's like netflix is trying to force you to watch random stuff. It seems like it's suited for people who aren't sure what to watch and don't really care what they watch. They see a netflix suggestion; look at main actors, synopsis, and cover art. Then just go with it because why not?

I also feel that companies can pay more for their shows to be recommended more than others. After I rated about 50 movies, the selection didn't really get any better. Tons of overlap between categories. Just a clunky mess.

I get why people like netflix (it's great for people who binge on tv shows), but, after using it I still see why piracy is big.

I'd like netflix to have tons of brand new movies, if I can find it on IMDB or RottenTomatoes etc, I should be able to get it on netflix. But it doesn't work that way because they don't get the rights to everything.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2014, 05:51 PM
  #11
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,369
vCash: 500
Competition is always good. Netflix has a stale library (especially in Canada) and seems to have been resting on their laurels.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2014, 05:52 PM
  #12
Dave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I'm using Netflix Canada and the selection kind of sucks
There are free web browser extensions that allow you to switch between regions. Also you can buy internet services that hide your IP (VPN services), these are usually a monthly cost (~$10/month, maybe less maybe more depending on the service). These services also let you use other media sources that are region blocked, pandora for example.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2014, 10:39 PM
  #13
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,044
vCash: 500
To get shomi you have to either be a rogers or shaw customer...... so I'm out.

edit.....

CraveTV™ is currently available to Bell, Telus, Bell Aliant & Eastlink TV customers... so out there too

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2014, 11:40 PM
  #14
M.C.G. 31
Moderator
BE HUMBLE
 
M.C.G. 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country:
Posts: 72,064
vCash: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I'm using Netflix Canada and the selection kind of sucks
Get a VPN for $5 and enjoy American Netflix.

__________________
M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2015, 07:04 PM
  #15
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,099
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Competition is always good. Netflix has a stale library (especially in Canada) and seems to have been resting on their laurels.
Isn't a lot of that just Netflix being squeezed by the networks? They need to have permission to make shows available, and as we see with the new channels out the existing telcoms really want to take away the cake that Netflix baked.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2015, 12:22 PM
  #16
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 15,010
vCash: 1175
Yeah, the Netflix streaming service has gotten kind of annoying with selections.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2015, 01:01 PM
  #17
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 17,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.G. 31 View Post
Get a VPN for $5 and enjoy American Netflix.
ditto been doing it for a few years now

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2015, 01:37 PM
  #18
Milan90
Registered User
 
Milan90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
Country: Serbia
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yeah I had it set up so I could view any region, still wasn't worth it to me. I'm more of a person who knows what they want to watch before I watch it. I'll go on wikipedia/IMDB/RottenTomatoes and find new movies, or highly rated movies. It's like netflix is trying to force you to watch random stuff. It seems like it's suited for people who aren't sure what to watch and don't really care what they watch. They see a netflix suggestion; look at main actors, synopsis, and cover art. Then just go with it because why not?

I also feel that companies can pay more for their shows to be recommended more than others. After I rated about 50 movies, the selection didn't really get any better. Tons of overlap between categories. Just a clunky mess.

I get why people like netflix (it's great for people who binge on tv shows), but, after using it I still see why piracy is big.

I'd like netflix to have tons of brand new movies, if I can find it on IMDB or RottenTomatoes etc, I should be able to get it on netflix. But it doesn't work that way because they don't get the rights to everything.
I agree with the portion about knowing what to watch. I'm very specific about the kinds of movies I watch and if they're not top tier, I can't finish them and end up wasting an hour watching. I don't find movies to be a time killer because a large portion of them are unenjoyable to me. If I want to watch a movie, I have to know what I'm getting into and generally how good it is so I know if I'm wasting my time or not.

Milan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2015, 01:42 PM
  #19
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,345
vCash: 500
They kind of suck, but Netflix needs some competition to to spur them provide better service.

Beau Knows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2015, 01:44 PM
  #20
aleshemsky83
Registered User
 
aleshemsky83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,336
vCash: 500
Never heard of them, I just use netflix and an android box

aleshemsky83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2015, 01:24 PM
  #21
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 15,010
vCash: 1175
I miss when the original fee had both DVD and streaming for like $9

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2015, 01:33 PM
  #22
Cor
OT Thread Leader
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,178
vCash: 72
I recently downgraded to basic satellite, and got unlimited internet because all we do is watch Netflix.

This is a losing battle for Bell and Rogers.

However, props to CraveTV for getting HBO content. Netflix really needs to get on that

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2015, 01:55 PM
  #23
aleshemsky83
Registered User
 
aleshemsky83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,336
vCash: 500
Thinking about the Canadian telecom industry just pisses me off

aleshemsky83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2015, 03:26 PM
  #24
serge2k
Registered User
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I'm using Netflix Canada and the selection kind of sucks
I was in canada last week and was surprised how good the selection is now.


of course it was mostly movies I happen to like, maybe that is why.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2015, 03:47 PM
  #25
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 5762
I never understood the point of Netflix when you can find anything you want for free online anyway.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.