HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filthy Flyers

Old
09-17-2009, 11:13 PM
zarao

vCash: 500
Filthy Flyers

2009/10 Filthy Flyers;Cote,Carcillo,Lappy,Pronger,Hartnell,Asham, Ole,Coburn,Richards,Emery.
Rangers D could look something like Rosival,Redden,Staal,Gilroy,Girardi,and either Del Zotto/Potter/Semenov. Top 9 forwards likely to include; Gaborik,Higgins,Drury,Prospal,Avery,Dubi?,Kotalik, Lisin,Anisimov.
It looks like we'll have one of the softest D's in the league. Aside from Brashear, we have nobody up front who is a deterence. On the other hand we do have Avery. Which is worrisome. A guy like Avery opens the hornets nest. Once Brashear goes to the box Gaborik and Lundqvist are cannon fodder. We better have a respectful PP or we're in deep doo doo.

Last edited by zarao: 09-17-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling
zarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:25 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
One of the softest D's yet they're all over 6'0".... just because you're not Chris Pronger doesn't mean you're soft in the new NHL, FYI...

Redden is the only guy on "D" I'd call "soft."

I'm also not worried about Brash being in the box against a team like the Flyers. Guys like Callahan, Avery, Voros, Boyle, even Drury and Prospal, will defend themselves and their teammates when necessary. Lisin seems firey too, and while he'll probably avoid fights, he could probably hold his own...

I don't know why we always get so worried about being "soft" int he new NHL. It's about goals, not out hitting and out fighting the other team anymore.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

1 goon is more than sufficient

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:33 PM
NYR Viper

The Flyers are ridiculous. They are hoping to beat everyone up on their way to the cup. Its possible but more than likely they will just take too many penalties. Would have loved to get Laperriere for the 4th line winger spot though.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:36 PM
D713B

I don't get where this notion that our team is soft compared to last year comes from. Who did we lose that you can consider "tough"? Mara and Orr? Well we added Brashear who is an upgrade over Orr and certainly more of a deterrent. All Orr ever did was fight the other team's heavyweight.

The Flyers are largely the same team. They added Pronger and Laperriere. I didn't feel that we were over matched last year against them and I don't foresee it this year. I don't count Emery since I don't foresee Henrik ever being involved in a goalie fight.

We also don't even know the final roster. I don't consider Avery, Brashear, Callahan, Higgins, Staal, Girardi, Boyle, Dubinsky, Voros and maybe Semenov as soft. Furthermore Drury, Anisimov, Kotalik, Redden and Roszival may not be "tough and intimidating" guys but they certainly aren't prima donnas by any means.

Let's wait till we play a game before we start worrying about our team being pushed around.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Doctor Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
The Flyers are ridiculous. They are hoping to beat everyone up on their way to the cup. Its possible but more than likely they will just take too many penalties. Would have loved to get Laperriere for the 4th line winger spot though.
I was discussing this with a friend of mine the other day and I came to the same conclusion.

Unless, ofcourse, they are going to punch the puck in the net...which, last I have heard; is still against the rules.

Or are the Flyers in financial trouble and Bettman may be making some amendments before the season starts?

...remember what the Flyers looked like against the Red Wings in '97?

Last edited by Doctor Strange: 09-17-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Doctor Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:38 PM
HockeyBurd*

The best "deterrent" is an effective power play and a commitment to finishing your checks.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Rangers08wedabest

Lets not forget... Wade redden knocked out chris clark

Rangers08wedabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:51 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
One of the softest D's yet they're all over 6'0".... just because you're not Chris Pronger doesn't mean you're soft in the new NHL, FYI...

Redden is the only guy on "D" I'd call "soft."

I'm also not worried about Brash being in the box against a team like the Flyers. Guys like Callahan, Avery, Voros, Boyle, even Drury and Prospal, will defend themselves and their teammates when necessary. Lisin seems firey too, and while he'll probably avoid fights, he could probably hold his own...

I don't know why we always get so worried about being "soft" int he new NHL. It's about goals, not out hitting and out fighting the other team anymore.
Chris Clark argues otherwise...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 11:52 PM
zarao

Did you watch the Flyers/Leafs game tonight? Someone forgot to tell the Flyers this is the new NHL. Our D is soft no matter how tall they are. Boyle is far from a lock, Voros blows. Neither play up to their size. Lisin,Drury,Kotalik,Cally,Avery don't exactly instill fear. I don't think the Flyers organization put that line-up together for Sheets and giggles. What happens if Brash goes down with an injury?

Old
09-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Doctor Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Chris Clark argues otherwise...
HA!
Let us hope we see more of that this season...

Doctor Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:05 AM
frozenrubber

I wish Voros wouldn't fight...

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:18 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarao View Post
Did you watch the Flyers/Leafs game tonight? Someone forgot to tell the Flyers this is the new NHL. Our D is soft no matter how tall they are. Boyle is far from a lock, Voros blows. Neither play up to their size. Lisin,Drury,Kotalik,Cally,Avery don't exactly instill fear. I don't think the Flyers organization put that line-up together for Sheets and giggles. What happens if Brash goes down with an injury?
Less PK time?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:19 AM
D713B

Quote:
Did you watch the Flyers/Leafs game tonight?
Did you? Because they lost a 2 on 1 for Carter and Asham because OKT decided to drop the gloves. It's the pre-season, you won't see that many fights come the regular season. Three of the people involved in the four fights won't even be in the NHL this season.

Old
09-18-2009, 12:19 AM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Then you bring up a guy like Justin Soryal or you trade for someone. I'm sure a guy like Georges Laraque could be had if it became an issue. The Rangers are a deep org. (prospect wise) and we could afford to deal a decent to ehh prospect for a goon.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:21 AM
zarao

Back to the future ala 2009/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82pEAetLXrY

Old
09-18-2009, 12:23 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
Then you bring up a guy like Justin Soryal or you trade for someone. I'm sure a guy like Georges Laraque could be had if it became an issue. The Rangers are a deep org. (prospect wise) and we could afford to deal a decent to ehh prospect for a goon.
Yeah, I am pretty sure someone like Boogard or Laraque could be had if an injury were to happen.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:29 AM
OverTheCap

Oh God!! The big bad Flyers!! They have Pronger now!! Oh no!! It was so scary when Dawes deked his pants off last year!!

As mentioned above, the Flyers have a largely similar lineup as last year and the Rangers handled themselves just fine. I wouldn't be so scared of them, and I'd be a lot more concerned about Gaborik injuring himself than Brashear.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:51 AM
zarao

The Flyers added 3 cheap shot artists. Ever here of pack mentality? Once theese guys join the flyers they'll take more liberties than ever. We better be able to punish them with the PP. That's all i'm saying. Unfortunately, they are about to sign Betts. And we are soft, like it or not.

Old
09-18-2009, 01:02 AM
zarao

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Did you? Because they lost a 2 on 1 for Carter and Asham because OKT decided to drop the gloves. It's the pre-season, you won't see that many fights come the regular season. Three of the people involved in the four fights won't even be in the NHL this season.
Cote, Carcillo,Okt all saw NHL action last year.

Last edited by zarao: 09-18-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
09-18-2009, 01:31 AM
NYRSinceBirth

That kid named Staal seems to throw his body around, but naaawww he sofff. Not to mention Girardi is built like a horse.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

The Flyers have an amazing defense, an amazing offense, and a huge question mark in goal. IMHO I have them picked to win the East...that team scares the living crap out of me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:45 AM
D713B

Quote:
Cote, Carcillo,Okt all saw NHL action last year.
You obviously missed the point about the three non-NHLers coupled with someone dropping the gloves while their team's leading goal scorer has an odd man rush and why that would only happen in the pre-season.

Quote:
The Flyers added 3 cheap shot artists. Ever here of pack mentality? Once theese guys join the flyers they'll take more liberties than ever. We better be able to punish them with the PP. That's all i'm saying. Unfortunately, they are about to sign Betts. And we are soft, like it or not.
So I guess we're just as soft as the other 28 teams not named the Flyers. One of which happens to play in our division and will be raising a Stanley Cup banner opening night. Having 65 PIM in a regular season game isn't going to win them too many games.

Last edited by D713B: 09-18-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old
09-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Reader

Quote:
Leafs are probably one of the worst teams in the Nhl, there is no comparsion, since they are slower, less accurate and have less stars, skills and discipline than Rangers. What the Flyers do in the preseason against the Leafs can not be compared what they will do against the NYR inside the season or in the playoffs.

Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Oh God!! The big bad Flyers!! They have Pronger now!! Oh no!! It was so scary when Dawes deked his pants off last year!!

As mentioned above, the Flyers have a largely similar lineup as last year and the Rangers handled themselves just fine. I wouldn't be so scared of them, and I'd be a lot more concerned about Gaborik injuring himself than Brashear.
exactly.

Reader is offline   Reply With Quote